• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Jucksalbe

Banned
How long does it take until Chocolina gives out new chick quests again? I was able to choose the last two last time, but did the first one first. When I returned the two Lovebirds, she went back to "play some more at the card tables". I played both games for about an hour each and she still won't let me do the last quest.

Cut scenes had the usual high production values and the script and characters are very charismatic in it, but the plot was about as non existent as you can get. I still don't know why anyone would buy this if they were going to cheat the system by doing that enter poker table, all-in, leave, repeat exploit to get those metals. You might as well just youtube the 8 minutes of cutscenes. Unless allying with Sazh is really worth 6 bucks to you.

Exactly, just don't understand why people buy it if they are just going to cheat the system and finish the DLC. Essentially they are paying $5 for a character then haha

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
Started playing FFXIII-2 a couple of days ago, am about 8 or 9 hours in and I have to say I'm really enjoying it so far - I was disappointed with the original FFXIII because it essentially had no game design at all so I'm relieved that this sequel has pretty much fixed everything I wanted it to.

Currently loving the freeform design, the towns with NPCs to talk to, the return of proper sidequests and the little touches like if you use Mog's ability to discover hidden treasure spheres when in a town a load of NPCs suddenly come running over gawping in slack jawed amazement at what they've just seen.

I haven't played Xenogears but I hear that the second disc is pretty much just a load of non-interactive cutscene sequences and most of the actual game is on disc 1 - this is currently what I consider the situation with FFXIII and XIII-2 to be: This is not a sequel, it's FFXIII disc 2 (or disc 4 or whatever if you're playing on 360) and it's just that Square made us wait for the second - and vastly superior - half of the game. It's the opposite of Xenogears, FFXIII is all cutscenes and no interactivity, whereas FFXIII-2 is the actual game.

I hope that eventually Square release a 'Final Fantasy XIII Complete Edition' that contains FFXIII, FFXIII-2 and all the DLC and FFXIII-3 if such a thing ever gets made.

Danj

Exactly, just don't understand why people buy it if they are just going to cheat the system and finish the DLC. Essentially they are paying $5 for a character then haha

I don't even understand why you would even need to cheat, both games seem pretty easy to me.

Glad to see Sazh is an awesome SYN, guess I'll be trying some different Paradigm combos once I get him.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Anyone have any tips for beating Faeryl? I think my healing kind of sucks since I'm still using Cait Sith as a healer mob.

You should get a new cast of monsters at that time... Or maybe you're just underleveled?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
\I went there, it teleports me back to the Nomad camp :(

Again anyone knows how to get to the western side of Archylte Steppe ?

I think its cloudy weather, not rainy and its way far south on a ledge, a little north east from the south gate. You need moggle to reveal it.

If you can't find that I've heard you can also make the jump using the anti gravity jump, but I've never tried it myself.

I think its cloudy weather, not rainy and its way far south on a ledge, a little north east from the south gate. You need moggle to reveal it.

If you can't find that I've heard you can also make the jump using the anti gravity jump, but I've never tried it myself.

I revealed the second statue, it teleports me back to the camp like the other one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The one you're looking for is yellow when revealed. It's on the opposite side of the map (still in the south) from the one you're currently at.
Yeah, it's still in the south, on a little "cliff". There should be maps out there by this point?

I hope they show us the lightning dlc soon. I really hope it's well made and no more than $10.
I'm half expecting it to be a joke DLC like this one.
FF13-3 here we come. Release date: 13-3-13!!!!

burgerdog

Yeah, it's still in the south, on a little "cliff". There should be maps out there by this point?

I'm half expecting it to be a joke DLC like this one.
FF13-3 here we come. Release date: 13-3-13!!!!

SE to create a new month for dat marketing 13-13-13. Its name? DonkeyKongSigmaOmegaPrologusDeudocim777/2.6.

Danj

Well that sucks, even with Sazh and a fully levelled Lightning on my team I still can't beat Yomi. Maybe the problem's with my strategy? I tried going with some different paradigms than usual, using Noel as my MED and Serah/Sazh as the SAB/SYN team, switching it up with RAV/RAV/RAV with Lightning, but in the end I still get my ass handed to me when Wicked Whirl comes around.

Danj

You're supposed to tank his Whirl attacks.

So like MED/SEN/RAV or something? Or should I be going full on SEN/SEN/SEN?

Also I don't suppose there's any way to "hotkey" specific paradigms is there? I don't mind going into the menus to switch to a healing paradigm when it goes to Impenetrable Aura, but having to use them when super attacks like Wicked Whirl come up is not fast enough.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Also I don't suppose there's any way to "hotkey" specific paradigms is there? I don't mind going into the menus to switch to a healing paradigm when it goes to Impenetrable Aura, but having to use them when super attacks like Wicked Whirl come up is not fast enough.
SEN/SEN/SEN. And place it closer to your attack paradigms if you're having trouble with the speed.

Alternatively, just switch to tank the moment you put poison on him and don't worry about attacking.

Rodelina

Neo Member

Are you using Noel and Serah as saboteurs? sab/sab/syn and sen/sen/sen made all the difference for me. I also gave Serah a durable grimoire hat which reduced the need to keep switching to my healing paradigm.

107 fragments ..

Got tomberry by luck yesterday while going for the last boss of bresha ruins 100AF..
What a very nice monster ( very friendly ) ...i upgraded his stats and infused a mini flan that had nice boosts too ... Currently at +800 atk and enjoying it ...

Danj

Are you using Noel and Serah as saboteurs? sab/sab/syn and sen/sen/sen made all the difference for me. I also gave Serah a durable grimoire hat which reduced the need to keep switching to my healing paradigm.

Looking it up it seems all that thing does is improve potions... I guess that means I need to buy some potions then? Because I haven't been using them at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
107 fragments ..

Got tomberry by luck yesterday while going for the last boss of bresha ruins 100AF..
What a very nice monster ( very friendly ) ...i upgraded his stats and infused a mini flan that had nice boosts too ... Currently at +800 atk and enjoying it ...
Stabby stabby!

Looking it up it seems all that thing does is improve potions... I guess that means I need to buy some potions then? Because I haven't been using them at all.
You shouldn't need it, because once he gets into his own defensive mode, you use that time to heal. If you're doing the cheap poison strategy and don't mind getting a longer time, it shouldn't be that difficult...

I must say, at the beginning this game was very enjoyable. There are so many good things about it.

However, one thing Square STILL cant get right is the pacing. I have been playing for a long time today and its one anomaly/temporal shift puzzle after another. It just isnt fun at all. It completely disrupts the flow of the game.

The combat in this game is fun, acquiring monsters and training them is fun. However there are quite a few sections i really dislike.

1) ALL puzzles - without a programme, how are you supposed to work out that clock one?
2) The Academia one where there is literally a fight every 3-5 seconds, its ridiculous and the monster battle rate is too high.
3) random battles in general suck, this game does a decent job but it still has some parts which arent fun.
4) Not really explaining the proper use of the historia crux to you and when to close/open gates etc.

All in all, im about 20 hours in. There are some very good points, the game looks great, the music is great but it simply has too many negatives to make it a great overall gaming experience.

To me, im about to hit Chapter 5 (Just got all the graviton cores) and its a solid 6.5/7 out of 10 for me.

I just wish the story was developed a bit better and some of the long winded elements of the game were streamlined and made a bit better.

Rodelina

Neo Member

With the durable grimoire hat potions are improved to restore over 1000 hp to all characters so it is worth it for me. Having to switch to healing paradigms too often can waste time. The upgraded hat can only be purchased from chocolina in the archylte steppe. You can purchase potions or go to New Bodhum 03AF as monsters there tend to drop potions frequently.

I must say, at the beginning this game was very enjoyable. There are so many good things about it.

However, one thing Square STILL cant get right is the pacing. I have been playing for a long time today and its one anomaly/temporal shift puzzle after another. It just isnt fun at all. It completely disrupts the flow of the game.
Most of the mandatory puzzles are limited to specifics moments ( oerba 200AF ) and aren't remotly difficult.
The flow of the game is to solve anomalies to restore the timeline..Having distraction is a good thing. people complained when there was nothing.
The combat in this game is fun, acquiring monsters and training them is fun. However there are quite a few sections i really dislike.

1) ALL puzzles - without a programme, how are you supposed to work out that clock one?
2) The Academia one where there is literally a fight every 3-5 seconds, its ridiculous and the monster battle rate is too high.
3) random battles in general suck, this game does a decent job but it still has some parts which arent fun.
4) Not really explaining the proper use of the historia crux to you and when to close/open gates etc.
1) i did.. they are harder than usual but they can be done ( i enjoyed them all ).. Sure those aren't your thing but people asked for variety.
2) It's one area. And it make sense by the story..they even took care to give you free area of fighting within academia 400AF.If you want to explore, just do it later, if you want to move it's still perfectly doable. One area with a high encounter rate is nothing in a rpg.
3) ----
4) you don't really need to close gates untill post-game and the first time you can close gates, you still have a on-screen message explaining how it works.
All in all, im about 20 hours in. There are some very good points, the game looks great, the music is great but it simply has too many negatives to make it a great overall gaming experience.

To me, im about to hit Chapter 5 (Just got all the graviton cores) and its a solid 6.5/7 out of 10 for me.

I just wish the story was developed a bit better and some of the long winded elements of the game were streamlined and made a bit better.

i think you should wait for the ending to comment about the story ( as you'll see in the next chapters ) . Most people opinion changes after some story points in this game.

raven777

Just got to Academia 4XX, and its really impressive place. The visuals are great, and you can actually walk around many places.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, Academia is gorgeous. I HATE all the battles in vanilla Academia though.

Also:

qEGPY.jpg

Going by reviewers I didn't expect anything special but I must say I enjoyed this far more than original XIII. Pretty much everything aside from lenght and graphics were better. As far as the story goes this time around you actually could follow the story without reading gazillion pages of datalog. That was huge plus for me. There was also proper villain that was great after that XIII nonsense. Also overall I liked characters a lot more. Maybe because dialogue was considerably better than in XIII. Yes it wasn't that amazing by any means but with XIII I really felt sometimes embarassment for the writers of the dialogue. It was so damn cheesy. I didn't hate Serah as much as I expected and Noel was really good character. Caius was also pretty good villain with somewhat understantable motive. Soundtrack was amazing and graphics were great despite falling short of original XIII. And then there is that ending....I actually liked it.
I was actually little sad when Serah died and the whole world went shit again. Hopefully they finish this with DLC though.
Even though I liked the game it's time to move foward in the series...Still if they make XIII-3 I could see myself buy it.

BeeDog

Started playing the game the other day. So far it's good, but on Normal mode, I'm having an unusually hard time in the two areas after Bresha Ruins; the forested area with the flans is destroying me.

Anyone have some noob pointers on what I should think of? Thanks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Started playing the game the other day. So far it's good, but on Normal mode, I'm having an unusually hard time in the two areas after Bresha Ruins; the forested area with the flans is destroying me.

Grab a Pulsework Soldier and Albino Lobo from the Ruins if you can. Otherwise, just level up a bit more.

BeeDog

Grab a Pulsework Soldier and Albino Lobo from the Ruins if you can. Otherwise, just level up a bit more.

I guess I'll grind some more then, thanks. Just a question; how important is it to choose the right role to level up on the Crystarium? Can I dig myself into a hole by improving the roles randomly?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I'll grind some more then, thanks. Just a question; how important is it to choose the right role to level up on the Crystarium? Can I dig myself into a hole by improving the roles randomly?
Level up the roles you plan on using, but the trick is to level up the right role when you get a chance to level up one of the "big orbs" in the Crystarium because of the bonus.

It's kind of hard to explain, but if you want Serah to be magic focused, you will want to level up RAV during those big orb levels because you will get a larger magic bonus. If you want to be efficient, you may want to read the levelling guide on GameFAQs as it will provide a better explanation of the mechanic.

Generally though, you don't want to level up SEN or MED using the big orbs, because the bonuses they offer aren't worth losing the magic or strength bonuses.

BeeDog

Level up the roles you plan on using, but the trick is to level up the right role when you get a chance to level up one of the "big orbs" in the Crystarium because of the bonus.

It's kind of hard to explain, but if you want Serah to be magic focused, you will want to level up RAV during those big orb levels because you will get a larger magic bonus. If you want to be efficient, you may want to read the levelling guide on GameFAQs as it will provide a better explanation of the mechanic.

Generally though, you don't want to level up SEN or MED using the big orbs, because the bonuses they offer aren't worth losing the magic or strength bonuses.

Damn, sounds like I should've read up on the levelling system beforehand :/ now I've levelled up randomly.

Any way to reset the progress/respec, or will I have to start over?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Damn, sounds like I should've read up on the levelling system beforehand :/ now I've levelled up randomly.

Any way to reset the progress/respec, or will I have to start over?
No, but I wouldn't worry about it too much since you seem to be rather early in the game.

Danj

With the durable grimoire hat potions are improved to restore over 1000 hp to all characters so it is worth it for me. Having to switch to healing paradigms too often can waste time. The upgraded hat can only be purchased from chocolina in the archylte steppe. You can purchase potions or go to New Bodhum 03AF as monsters there tend to drop potions frequently.

OK, great, thanks for the tips. It's a shame none of the AI controlled characters makes use of potions.

Well enjoy the difficulty while it lasts.

Take the advice the others have given though, especially about getting the pulsework soldier, he will come in handy later on too.

I'm a bit confused with the ending. Or, I'm doubting my own interpretation.
More specifically:
The secret ending, with caiuss. Atm, I don't recall what he said when he was sitting in the Void Beyond.
But what is his goal?
Whats his message?
Is it that he's really not dead?

Trevelyon

How do I get 'Fate and Freedom' paradox ending?
I've defeated *again Ciaus w/Serah and the monsters, I have 'Beneath Timeless Sky' fragment. I've retraced my steps n Acadamia 4XX AF-, time reversal w/paradox scope. I'm expecting to advance the story past 'Beneath Timeless Sky' and do some sort of live trigger in 'New Bodhum -??? AF-' but no, just the same stuff,
where am I messing up.

rataven

Oh god, I did something stupid. I bought Noel's Spaceman Guardian outfit. There's some kind of tube fungus growing out of his kneecaps. It's hideous. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How do I get 'Fate and Freedom' paradox ending?
I've defeated *again Ciaus w/Serah and the monsters, I have 'Beneath Timeless Sky' fragment. I've retraced my steps n Acadamia 4XX AF-, time reversal w/paradox scope. I'm expecting to advance the story past 'Beneath Timeless Sky' and do some sort of live trigger in 'New Bodhum -??? AF-' but no, just the same stuff,
where am I messing up.
Deactivate the Paradox Scope.
Yeah, deactivate it and reactivate it after
Serah's fight with Caius

i did several paradox endings ( currently at 140/160 fragments ) .. are all the paradox endings
BAD ends too ? ( except the future is hope ? )

Is the only alternative is this game bad ends ??

Are the dlc using one of the 3 gates of the left ?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
i did several paradox endings ( currently at 140/160 fragments ) .. are all the paradox endings
BAD ends too ? ( except the future is hope ? )

Is the only alternative is this game bad ends ??

Are the dlc using one of the 3 gates of the left ?

You'll understand when you do the
secret ending

And the DLC battles are on the left.

Top Bottom