• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

I'm a bit confused how the crystarium works this time around? On every node I get to choose to upgrade between my 3 roles, and a large nodes gives me more abilities in the role I choose?

Your finals stats depend greatly on how you level up. So yea be careful when building your character and look up the bonus if you want to maximize your character. For example big nodes have different bonus depending on if your level is odd/even for roles like syn and sab.

For rav, com, sen, and med it's pretty much standard. Save the big nodes for RAV for Serah, and COM for Noel. Then with syn and sab go with what ever bonus you want.

about the DLCs
if u get those colosseum ones
are they even winnable mid game or are they more like end game contents?

bonus stats from large nodes depending on what role you choose also

The coliseum dlc can kill even an end game party..
So they are doable mid game but you'll need a VERY VERY good strategy ..

For many of us , they were a end game content

Guys... I'm trying to Platinum this game and I'm thinking if getting one of these DLC colosseum's characters can actually make getting 5 stars trophies battle any easier?

And if they do then which characters should I get? and are they still easy to obtain on easy difficulty with maxed role levels? and can I customize their roles ( Like Lightning for example ) ?

Thanks.

there are plenty of monsters within the game that can help you 5 star battles

for example :

-tomberry, don toberry
-Gold chocobo, silver chocobo
-dat huge robot in the last dongeon( for got his name ) and many others...

It's NOT necessary for platinium.

IF you do want to get a coliseum character , regular lightning is the easiest of the coliseum characters to get , no you can't change their roles ..you level them up as monsters .

The easiest monster of the lot to get is godess lightning ..you get her when you finish the true end of "requiem of a godess" (dlc ) and her stats are very good once maxed ..it's the only worthwhile dlc to get , if you don't play for the challenging battles

jiggle

does a monster need to actively participate in the battle at least once, for ITEM COLLECTOR to kick in? or simply having the monster in the party will do?

also
looking at the crystarium FAQ, the author listed a very specific order to leveling what jobs to what level
are there any benefits to that? outside of big orb bonuses

does a monster need to actively participate in the battle at least once, for ITEM COLLECTOR to kick in? or simply having the monster in the party will do?

also
looking at the crystarium FAQ, the author listed a very specific order to leveling what jobs to what level

Honestly, almost the entire game I was over powered and I leveled my own way. So I'd say no. Unless I was lucky and matched that order by chance.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

also
I can't answer your first question since I never used monsters when I played this game, but your second question... it's all about completing making the most out of the Crystarium and getting the maximum stats per character.

So if you care about getting max stats for your character and making the most out of your Crystarium, you're free to follow the FAQ. But even if you don't do that, the game's still pretty easy. I usually levelled every Com, every even level Syn, and odd level Sab on big nodes for Noel, for example, which will max his STR stat... outside of the occasional mistake when I was a stupid and accidentally levelled up Sen on a big node.

d\

Yea different bonus for SYN/SAB depending on if you level up on odd/even number. Really adds up over time if you build correctly or incorrectly.

Wow......... wow wow wow wow wow!!!!

The Requiem of The Goddess DLC is so freaking BAAAAAAAAAAAD, grinding over the same boos over and over and over and over again is like the worse idea I've ever seen in any JRPG.

The last time EVER I buy a DLC from SE, I can't believe my friend told me how bad this DLC is and yet I bought it anyway... now I regret supporting SE crappy DLCs more than ever.

I hate myself for buying it -_-"

I can't understand them... they make FFXIII-2 which is one of the best things they have made in the past few years, and then thy start milking the sh*t out of it with unworthy DLCs, what a shame :\

anyway.........

Bestiary hunting is really annoying, The platinum of this game is going to take more than 80 hour for me ;_;

But at less it's waaaay more enjoyable than FFXIII :p

Got the Platinum in 82 hours...... dear god that Bestiary Trophy is in my top 10 most annoying Trophies list ever!

Why can't they make trophies something enjoyable instead of a huge pain in the a**?

I did nothing in the past 3 days but hunting, so boring.

Of course it's much more enjoyably than XIII, but still.... oh well let's hope XIII-3 contain even more enjoyable trophies :p

Kweh

Hmm, I dunno if I am using the Crystarium right. I am bout 3 worlds in and all I have done is spent all my CP on one role for Serah and Noel.

Serah - Lvl 47 RAV
Noel - Lvl 47 COM

Then using monsters for SEN and MED.

Is that wise?

Hmm, I dunno if I am using the Crystarium right. I am bout 3 worlds in and all I have done is spent all my CP on one role for Serah and Noel.

Serah - Lvl 47 RAV
Noel - Lvl 47 COM

Then using monsters for SEN and MED.

Is that wise?

No it isn't. To make it simple and not complicated.

Serah

(big nodes) = Rav, Sab (odd levels), Syn (odd levels)
(small nodes) = Sen, Med, Com, Sab (even levels), Syn (even levels)

Noel

(big nodes) = Com, Sab (even levels) , Syn (odd levels) *You can go even on SYN if you want HP but really unnecessary).
(small nodes) = Rav, Med, Sen, Sab (odd levels), SYN (whichever levels you didn't use for Big or you can mix and match if you want 50/50 etc...)

greyshark

No it isn't. To make it simple and not complicated.

Serah

(big nodes) = Rav, Sab (odd levels), Syn (odd levels)
(small nodes) = Sen, Med, Com, Sab (even levels), Syn (even levels)

Noel

(big nodes) = Com, Sab (even levels) , Syn (odd levels) *You can go even on SYN if you want HP but really unnecessary).
(small nodes) = Rav, Med, Sen, Sab (odd levels), SYN (whichever levels you didn't use for Big or you can mix and match if you want 50/50 etc...)

I never really felt that level of min-maxing was necessary - it just isn't that difficult a game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I still haven't picked this up and with the summer gaming drought now here I've been thinking about it. (Plus it's now only $30 and I really enjoyed the first one). I just had a few questions though:

1. Has all of the dlc been released by now? Would I be better off waiting for a GOTY edition?

2. I heard that this one was shorter than the first, how long did it take you guys on your first playthrough?

3. Not including the dlc, is there any post-game content this time around? In the first one all you could do was complete the missions and go after trophies.

4. I enjoyed the story in the first one; Is the story just as good this time around? With the time-traveling aspect, I'm kinda worried about everything getting convoluted and messed up.
I already heard that Chocobolina is the chocobo chick from Sazh's afro LOL

greyshark

I still haven't picked this up and with the summer gaming drought now here I've been thinking about it. (Plus it's now only $30 and I really enjoyed the first one). I just had a few questions though:

1. Has all of the dlc been released by now? Would I be better off waiting for a GOTY edition?

2. I heard that this one was shorter than the first, how long did it take you guys on your first playthrough?

3. Not including the dlc, is there any post-game content this time around? In the first one all you could do was complete the missions and go after trophies.

4. I enjoyed the story in the first one; Is the story just as good this time around? With the time-traveling aspect, I'm kinda worried about everything getting convoluted and messed up.
I already heard that Chocobolina is the chocobo chick from Sazh's afro LOL

1. Yes - unlikely you'll see a GOTY though.
2. ~30 hours to beat the story, ~60 hours to plat.
3. The entire game is very open-ended - you could be ~40% through the game or 95% when you beat the story depending on how you decide to play it.
4. I thought the story was worse, it seemed to me they used the time-travel gimmick to advance the plot instead of to enhance it. Made it feel forced.

So I haven't followed the game at all but picked it up w/ the Gamestop sale of $20. Will play it soon, but as I was out of the loop, should I get any of the DLC before I start, or is it all bonus stuff?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I haven't followed the game at all but picked it up w/ the Gamestop sale of $20. Will play it soon, but as I was out of the loop, should I get any of the DLC before I start, or is it all bonus stuff?
Everything is post-game except the costume packs I suppose. If you want to play with a costume, you might as well do it from the beginning.

I think the Sazh DLC can be played in the middle of the game though?

Seda

Basically spent the whole day training up monsters and fighting the Coliseum DLCs, ended up getting all the DLC monster crystals. Gilgamesh was probably the hardest, but I got his crystal my first try.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I decided to start this the other day as it has been sitting around since release and I figured why not.

What in the world is going on, lol.

The story is strange and all over the place, why does no one ask questions, everyone seems to know what they are suppose to be doing in the game but without explaining anything, while not really knowing anything and for some reason never asking any questions to get answers for anything.

I had no idea how the Crystarium worked in this one, I got a little of it through trial and error with saving before doing anything, but I just ended up looking up how it all worked online and I'm following a basic guide.

This game feels different from 13 while being the same, going from such a linier game to then opening everything up with such basic non explanations was a little confusing, if it wasn't a sequel it would have been easier going in with no prior knowledge of what I was expecting.

Though I guess it is nice to know whoever it was that came up with the convoluted mess that was most of FF13 stayed around to pull some more nonsense out of nowhere. I still don't understand how we came from FF12 with its stories, characters, voice acting etc. to what we got in FF13/2.

Still, on I go.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
This can be interpreted in many ways given what we know so far ..so for now i won't say anything since it's one of the area of the ff13 universe i'm not exactly sure of what's going on..

It's funny because that room and the sofa have always been a key-element in the XIII franchise, except apparently there's no meaning at all behind it lol.

So I beat the game last night, with all the fragments.
The story was so bad, though I did like the Paradox Ending with
Snow exposing Alyssa, and the on where Noel and Yuel are reunited. I find it amusing that Noel tells Caius that Yuel only want to be with him, but the Yuel from the paradox ending is happy that Noel is there and Caius is gone.

I'm glad you could switch party members and that the leader dying wasn't auto game over, but the combat still needs more control. I wish I could control the party members position so they don't walk into AoE attacks. It would also be nice to have some sort of gambit system for the roles to decide the priority for abilities, and who you target.

Didn't care for Noel or Serah.

Astra

So this is on sale at Futureshop for $20, and I am thinking about picking it up. My question is, is it really necessary to play XIII first? I read the first few pages of the OT looking for an answer, and there is a recap of the events of XIII? How comprehensive is it?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Despite FF13 being one of my fav games of all time, I didn't finished the sequel. The part where
you have to go searching for invisible graviton cores, and have keys/artifects before you can visit some locations
is where I stopped. Could someone tell me how it ended and how Caius, Noel, & Yeul are related?

The battle system and characters were great, but 13 seemed like a grand adventure whereas the sequel seemed like a bunch of small levels connected by a nice menu.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Four hours later, I've fought 23 green chocobos and yet no drop. I'm never playing this game anymore once I beat it (again).

jiggle

Could someone tell me how it ended and how Caius, Noel, & Yeul are related?

They're the last 3 remaining human in the timeline where Cocoon crashes onto Pulse. Yeul is a seeress that will die from using her power and be reborned endlessly. Caius is her guardian, and every Yeul that came before her. He travels through time to guard all the Yeuls and watches each and everyone of her die before him. She willingly die over and over again so she can meet him again in the next life. Or something like that

is where I stopped. Could someone tell me how it ended and how Caius, Noel, & Yeul are related?

The battle system and characters were great, but 13 seemed like a grand adventure whereas the sequel seemed like a bunch of small levels connected by a nice menu.

They're the last 3 remaining human in the timeline where Cocoon crashes onto Pulse. Yeul is a seeress that will die from using her power and be reborned endlessly. Caius is her guardian, and every Yeul that came before her. He travels through time to guard all the Yeuls and watches each and everyone of her die before him. She willingly die over and over again so she can meet him again in the next life. Or something like that

^^^that's for how they are related .

for the rest ..
After numerous attempts , noel & serah manages with hope help to have a solid plan to prevent cocoon from doing too much damage into pulse and saving the population without triggering any political clash that might have made them lose time .. Caius want to use the event where cocoon droppped to bring vahalla to the regular dimension because the result would be a world where yeul doesn't have to die over & over again.
You travel to academia 500AF ( worst dongeon ever BTW ), battle caius twice and he flees to vahalla , noel & serah follow and battle him again ...caius trap them both in darkness/chaos and the avoid it thanks to lightning spirit.
Caius seems defeated , want noel to be his sucessor ( and thus kill him ) noel doesn't want to . Caius says that lightning was defeated to make serah want to kill him , but doesn't work because of noel .. they came to vahalla only to prevent caius to interfere with cocoon crash after all ...

And then ...
As they believe everything fine and drop their guard , caius attack serah , noel see this and counter attack targetting caius heart ( that is etro heart ) you get a choice here ..do deal the final blow or not .. If you do not deal the final blow , it doesn't matter as caius deal impale himself on noel weapon..
Caius dies..
( large amount of dialog let's skip that )
They get back to academia , witness the sucessfull launch of the new ark ( hope project )..
The timeline has been changed..
Serah as a seeress see that , and then dies ( mog too ) in noel hands ..

It would had been a nice ending but

just as serah died , the gate of time are open ( because etro heart is dead , resulting in the apperance of chaos in the regular world ) and the same effect as if cocoon crashed ..
it's basicly a "YOU LOSE" ending with a cliffanger the last thing you see is lightning sitting on etro throne , frozen as a crystal..

In the true END , you have an additionnal scene , with caius sitting on etro throne , see ing that like yourself he has seen all possibilities within the timeline and that his plan will work no matter what ..confirming that it's no use and the "YOU LOSE" ending you've got in the only one possible.

Astra

Ah crap. I didn't realize yesterday was Thursday, when I saw the sale. So I missed it.
Probably for the best, I am pretty burnt out on RPGs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just platinumed it my third time.

Such a good fucking game, oh my god.

Chairhome

Almost came to a point where the game was boring me to death and I almost quit: Academia. Just too many unavoidable fights, and even though they were easy, it was really annoying. I did gain a lot of CP from it though. Got to the next section and it started to draw me back in.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to see it through to the end, still. Just got an Orion in my party, he's replacing my chocobo. Noel is COM, RAV, SYN and Sarah is RAV, SAB, MED for the most part, 60/40/20s in level.

Game isn't too hard, but a few fights were drawn out (cause i didn't know what i was doing).

academia is a clear low point for this game but you only have this part to worry about the rest of your academia adventures will be way more easier ..

Babalu.

wait so I haven't looked into this game since the first month it came out. I beat the game and got all the endings and stuff and yeah it sucked.

But my question is did that giant lightning DLC that shows the new ending or have lots of gameplay come out already? Was it any good? Did it explain things further?

The other DLC battles/clothes/sazh was pure crap but it seemed like they were going to answer some questions with that lightning DLC. Is that out and was it worth it?

the lightning dlc did have another endings that only raise more questions while it still answer some plots questions ... gameplay is average unless you like challenges...
The godesss lightning dlc consists of 2 big cutscenes , 2 fights and a scoring system ( and a fake ending to annoy you )

Chairhome

I beat it! I cheated though: i didn't have any of the gravity cores so i just looked up where they were, cause there was no way i was going to spend hours trying to find those. The game was fun at times, but it dragged a lot. The gravity core fetch quest seems like fluff. There were some interesting story beats, especially the end. I saw the DLC ending and it just leaves it open for more... I wonder if they'll ever get around to it.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
the lightning dlc did have another endings that only raise more questions while it still answer some plots questions ... gameplay is average unless you like challenges...

I think we can speak of an expanded-ending more than anything else, the ending remains absolutely the same with added cutscenes detailing it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just like XIII, watching my wife play through this now. Hilarious story, and music.

She's definitely enjoying the combat like the first one, and the world is a lot better, but there are still too many unintentional comical aspects.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I'm right at the end of the story, and it might sound silly but the most annoying thing through this game to me has been Serahs legs. They are tiny and they just kinda flippy flop around while running about, if I hadn't looked it up I would have no idea that she was the same age as Lightning is by FF13-2.

I ended up buying the White Mage costume to pad out a PlayStation Store purchase so it was £5+ but also so it looked like she had a little more mass to her, having looked up the costumes beforehand that Beachwear one gives her thin granny like legs, blech.

But anyway, time to move onto the ending.

Game was really becoming a guilty pleasure for me but I just got to
Atlas boss fight
and I'm getting slaughtered. What's a good level to grind up to before I re attempt this? I'm having bad flashbacks from those goddamn worms in Lost Odyssey (I gave up on that one)

Game was really becoming a guilty pleasure for me but I just got to
Atlas boss fight
and I'm getting slaughtered. What's a good level to grind up to before I re attempt this? I'm having bad flashbacks from those goddamn worms in Lost Odyssey (I gave up on that one)

You're supposed to weaken him first .. it's possible to beat him at your level but the fight will last very long for little rewards. don't worry you'll have to bet him normally for other things later ...

Top Bottom