• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Omega_FFXI.png

FFXI Omega rules all. This FFXIII-2 design is god awful.

FFVI Omega >>> All Omegas

FFVI-OmegaWeapon.png

Yoshichan said:
Sweet mother of gawd

I wonder why it's just 14.4 GB. I'm assuming there's less CG and there's lots of recycled areas.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Still waiting on my copy, but I have sampled several streams.

Some observations:

Overall performance seems to be better than the build I played. Camera is still a bit off in places though.

360 version installed still has frequent loading between menus and long loading when using the Historia Crux. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference in that respect.

Lots of recycling... kind of annoying they didn't create many new enemies :< Areas are also copy/paste even though the timeline is different. A lot of old music tracks are back.

I've only been watching random streams here and there, so I won't comment on the story just yet.

It does not surprise me a bit at the rehashing. Ill be waiting for a 30$ price point i imagine. Unless its amazing. I doubt that. They picked some of the characters i hated the most in 13 to star in this one. Japanese be crazy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It does not surprise me a bit at the rehashing. Ill be waiting for a 30$ price point i imagine. Unless its amazing. I doubt that. They picked some of the characters i hated the most in 13 to star in this one. Japanese be crazy.
Crazy like a chocobo!

Oh my gosh, now I know where that theme is used. :lol

I see that
"Tension in the Air"
is reused from FFXIII's soundtrack.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I expected a lot of recycling, so it won't upset me unless it sticks out as badly as 14 (copy/pasta routes and entire areas).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I want to fight this enemy on the stream. The premise behind it is really neat. Plus it's nice to see that I don't have to wait until postgame to fight something neat.

It's too bad his Optimas seem to be quite inadequate for it... because he should be using a Jammer while trying to drive up the Break gauge. I'd recommend a BLA/BLA/JAM for a little bit because it doesn't seem to be attacking. He should also be using a ATK/ATK/ATK at some point because that class seems to be doing the most damage output during stagger...

Urgh, he's wasn't ATB cancelling and is staying in an Optima when he has two characters standing around doing nothing now. :/

Finally beaten. That was nice...

Edit:
The Solve the Anomaly puzzles seem really dumb, or like padding. There was one he just went through that was utter crap.

Correct. Square-Enix has decided to utilize ungrammatical Latin again and it's cute. It's odd because they do have actual Latin translators working on the soundtrack (at least for FFXIII), I think. I'd like to think that they would have consulted with some scholars for accuracy. But no, this is SE we're talking about. :lol

I'm pretty sure for Japanese people Latin is as foreign as English i.e. they suck terribly at it. It's perfectly fine for Latin to be gibberish in FF game, they put it there to get "mystical language from mythical Europe!" effect.

Yeah, I don't feel the story is very compelling at the moment.

Given that the story was done by Toriyama, who also wrote abomination that was 3rd Birthday, you can be sure the story will be utter crap.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
itt japanese people have completely backwards taste
http://andriasang.com/comzdg/ffxiii_character_rank/
Oh my... But Sazh was the best. :/
I agree with number 2, though, just because he seemed to have better development than nearly everyone from Episode 0 to Chapter 7... then his development falls off a cliff or rewinds because oops they forgot to give him a summon back when that should have happened in Chapter 7. Edit: But it never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to like the Light/Hope couple. :O

I'm pretty sure for Japanese people Latin is as foreign as English i.e. they suck terribly at it. It's perfectly fine for Latin to be gibberish in FF game, they put it there to get "mystical language from mythical Europe!" effect.
I guess, but when you know the language, it can sometimes be funny or facepalm-worthy. It's similar to seeing Engrish, strange neologisms, or odd English syntax, I suppose. :lol

Given that the story was done by Toriyama, who also wrote abomination that was 3rd Birthday, you can be sure the story will be utter crap.
Yup. I'm not getting much out of it so far. It doesn't seem like it's on The 3rd Birthday level of "oh god why is this so bad", though.

And now I know where that Limit Break! theme is going to be used.

I guess, but when you know the language, it can sometimes be funny or facepalm-worthy. It's similar to seeing Engrish, strange neologisms, or odd English syntax, I suppose. :lol

I agree. S-E seems to be the major offender here, I don't remember other Japanese developer using Engrish/latin to such a degree. Except From Software, who decided to dub both Demons' Souls and Dark Souls in English in Japan.

Famassu

Ehhh... as much as I complemented the gameplay, I wouldn't say it's a huge improvement yet (at least, I need to test it out myself to get a feel of the system). The monsters' animation attack speeds and their Synchro Drive animation length bug me a little.
Wasn't really talking about monsters' animation speeds, as I doubt that was a big problem or a problem at all to 99,9% of XIII's players (perhaps to the most hardcore of the hardcore).They still listened to fans about a lot of problems that they had with XIII and made additions that people weren't even asking for. While some improvements/additions might be more successful than others, it still doesn't remove the fact that at least they tried to listen to the fans as much as possible (I don't know why they don't change the writer, I assume that amongst the feedback they've received from a multitude of games, Toriyama's writing skills must've come up). I mean, the game's still somewhat linear, but based on all the maps & stuff I've seen , now the environments are more like something in between X & XII (not (always) as straightforward as X, but perhaps not as expansive as XII's). There are towns. There are minigames. There are all kinds of side-quests. In addition to more NPC chatter, they've added some dialogue choices. Multiple endings to the story. There's a new game +. Character development system is improved. Equipment-stuff is improved.

Battlesystem really wasn't one that was criticized too much, so it hasn't gotten a complete overhaul, but even with it they've added some customization to the ally AI, Blood Damage, ally monsters, reduced the Optima Change animations and you can change leader, all of this to improve gamer control & to spice things up a bit. If they didn't give a shit and were just keeping their heads up their asses, none of these would've happened.

I mean, people can whine about Square Enix all they want, but overall XIII-2 really isn't the one game to whine about considering the lengths they've gone to improve it from the original (of course, with a development time of 2 years, they can't do miracles, but then again, the basics of XIII weren't completely horrible (they just needed to flesh it out) and on the other hand I doubt many people would've wanted to wait for a XIII sequel for 4 years, better they do all they can in that 2 years and then perhaps move on to something else, learning a lot from this whole debacle for future developments).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I agree. S-E seems to be the major offender here, I don't remember other Japanese developer using Engrish/latin to such a degree. Except From Software, who decided to dub both Demons' Souls and Dark Souls in English in Japan.
They do, but I usually find it extensively in song lyrics (ex: think... the Persona games). A lot of publishers seem to know that a good localization goes a long away now, so that's why localization efforts are much better than the ones in the past (ie: when they didn't give the translator enough time for a great, proofread script). Plus it's easier to contact the original branch to see if they like translations. I'm not sure if the original branches are still stubborn about using original Japanese terms even though they don't work in the English language though.

Other games probably still use signage with English/French/other languages extensively, but I can't come up with a lot of recent games off the top of my head with odd syntax.

Battlesystem really wasn't one that was criticized too much, so it hasn't gotten a complete overhaul, but even with it they've added some customization to the ally AI, Blood Damage, ally monsters, reduced the Optima Change animations and you can change leader, all of this to improve gamer control & to spice things up a bit. If they didn't give a shit and were just keeping their heads up their asses, none of these would've happened.

I mean, people can whine about Square Enix all they want, but overall XIII-2 really isn't the one game to whine about considering the lengths they've gone to improve it from the original (of course, with a development time of 2 years, they can't do miracles, but then again, the basics of XIII weren't completely horrible (they just needed to flesh it out) and on the other hand I doubt many people would've wanted to wait for a XIII sequel for 4 years, better they do all they can in that 2 years and then perhaps move on to something else, learning a lot from this whole debacle for future developments).
Now that I've seen
Xanadu and that path that Serah and Noel ended up on by mistake
, I think FFXIII-2 is definitely an improvement over FFXIII at least in terms of variety. The areas do remind me of wider FFX maps, tbh. And the sidequests don't really seem to be limited to "go kill this, go kill that" like FFXIII's were. I can see myself griping about a few things, but I'll keep those things to myself until the US version comes out.

Animation speeds are important to me for efficiency, lol. ^_^ But regarding the battle system, I actually didn't like FFXIII's very much despite tinkering with it a lot. I didn't feel like it truly shined until the later missions, the Guis or the Bart battles. The basics were there, but the system as a whole needed a few improvements to really be enjoyable to me. I do like some of the improvements I see here. Actually... a lot; formations, taking out the dumb Optima Shift camera pans, Serah's quick animation speeds, ability to select what you want to get when the Crystarium expands, Noel's sometimes acrobatic animations taking up time but they look nice, leader change, etc. Blood damage looks very fun to deal with, and enemies getting buffs when you screw up the Mog Clock is great.

I just hope that when I get my hands on the FFXIII-2 battle system, I'll find it more engaging and challenging than the original version.

Dunan

Got to see and try the game in Akihabara today; it was fun! Neo Bodhum in AF 003 is a fun place to hang around. Didn't want to spoil the game, or suddenly get the urge to buy a copy at nearly full price (there were stacks of it placed in just the right spot), so I listened to the music a little and then left without seeing too much.

Strategy guide (not Ultimania) and World Preview were also on display. Those look pretty good.

@Dark Schala and BluWacky - Thanks for the Latin corrections. It's a little disappointing to see them put so much effort into the game and then come up short in the little details. The Latin in FFXIII seemed to be correct (to my neophyte eyes), and they hired a professor to work on it with them that time. You'd think that even if they were on a budget, they could get any starving grad student to do it for a small fee or even for a copy of the game. I've done this kind of English editing that way many times.

Blu, how were you able to see the rest of what was written on the sword? Is there a better screenshot floating around?

@Castor - Wait a minute; From was only an offender when they first released Demon's Souls; their English in the NA Demon's Souls was beautiful. And the voice acting was amazing! I could listen to the Maiden in Black's Slavic accent all day long.

So much chatting in this game! I guess it's what the fans wanted though.
Personally I was happy with FF13 without the conversation options and having to talk to people in towns.

I've only played up to just after the Atlas fight so far though.

Pranay

Hindi is my native language, but its a general slang word used in Mumbai, not much popular though but yeah awkward reading it lol.

choco = dick btw lol

Sorry for the offtopic talks ^_-

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just been watching a stream for a bit, and the Historia Crux transitions do seem to be a little on the long side, although from what I've seen they do vary significantly. For instance going to the
mini-game fairground area
from a standard field zone did seem to take a fair bit longer than the other way around.

That said, in-zone it looks extremely slick once you're in the field, battle transitions are very fast and the crystarium/shop screen menus seems to have a better balance of visual finesse vs usability than the original.

Looks really good imho. And although Crazy Chocobo does appear to play quite often, and is -no doubt- a really odd creative choice, its seems less grating than I'd have expected listening to it in isolation.

*Note* Minimal spoiler under the tag, just thought better safe than sorry.

Midou

So much chatting in this game! I guess it's what the fans wanted though.
Personally I was happy with FF13 without the conversation options and having to talk to people in towns.

I've only played up to just after the Atlas fight so far though.

It just makes the whole game feel so dead when all you do is run between linear areas without a soul around.

@Castor - Wait a minute; From was only an offender when they first released Demon's Souls; their English in the NA Demon's Souls was beautiful. And the voice acting was amazing! I could listen to the Maiden in Black's Slavic accent all day long.

I meant the odd choice of shipping a game in Japan, made by Japanese developer, having full English VO. I guess it sits nicely with the whole European/medieval architecture.

BETRAYALTON right there!

Dunan

I meant the odd choice of shipping a game in Japan, made by Japanese developer, having full English VO. I guess it sits nicely with the whole European/medieval architecture.

Gotcha. I thought you were criticizing the less-than-perfect English of the Asian Demon's Souls, which was fixed in the NA version.

I think the English VO worked very well in the Japanese game. Anime-style voice work would have killed the mood.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
When does it play?
When you ride a red chocobo.

ZephyrFate linked a pretty good video in the Crazy Chocobo thread here (spoilers in the video, obviously). Now that I know where it's used, it isn't really that bad in context... actually, it's more funny.

Dunan said:
Thanks for the Latin corrections. It's a little disappointing to see them put so much effort into the game and then come up short in the little details. The Latin in FFXIII seemed to be correct (to my neophyte eyes), and they hired a professor to work on it with them that time. You'd think that even if they were on a budget, they could get any starving grad student to do it for a small fee or even for a copy of the game. I've done this kind of English editing that way many times.
A lot of the Latin used throughout FFXIII and its soundtrack (especially the soundtrack seemed like they were proofread and translated well, likely because they worked with a few who were quite knowledgeable about the subject.

The thing about it is that they the right lexical choices in terms of denotation most of the time, but their inflection, declension or word class are sometimes wrong. I'm sure there are people in Japan or even other SE branches' locations who are willing to proofread even for free. Heck, I even had a prof--now a colleague--who ended up translating a bunch of Occitan texts for free.

Thanks! Got past him. :)

Why did Tizoc get banned?
No problem. :)

I dunno. I don't think he's made an offending post in here from what I've seen. Didn't see anything wrong with the posts in Sonic threads either. :/

desu

Surprised that my copy shipped as well aleready even though I ordered so late. Anyway I hope I get it by tomorrow.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I... recount my hatred.
To be fair, it appeared that
riding the chocobos, as usual, were optional. Mostly used to avoid enemy encounters or reach places faster. It seems like if the player chooses, they can avoid listening to the theme often, or even altogether, if they don't ride them.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone from Singapore here? ( I know duckroll is i think) Can't find the game at the usual retail stores I go to. They either don't sell it (or Japanese language games), not sure when the stock is coming or sold out... Am going to embark on an island wide search for the game tomorrow since I've nothing to do.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
When you ride a red chocobo.

ZephyrFate linked a pretty good video in the Crazy Chocobo thread here (spoilers in the video, obviously). Now that I know where it's used, it isn't really that bad in context... actually, it's more funny.

I was hoping for a Chocobo with piercings and tattoos. :(

Top Bottom