• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Versus outfit designer lists game as Final Fantasy XV (15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

Don't rush him, man!

edit: Here it is, for the new page:

Test post. About to post info.

OK there we go. Sorry Im on a phone and I thought the thread was locked for some odd reason. Anyway, I can reveal the following info and Im doing it in public now.

I am being told game is NOT being called FF15. Yes it is PS4 exclusive. The budget has surpassed 120 million at this point and Square is not allowing anymore funding. Game will have massive unveiling before E3 with cryptic marketing blitz to follow. Talk of ARG starting soon. Various vehicles for characters that can upgraded and altered for battle. Very dark and mature themes. Themes or betrayal, retribution, and sacrifice for the greater good, with many gray areas and the journey to understand the ramifications of good and evil as philosophical concepts. Is thethe biggest, most ambitious FF of all time with very the mature themes such as forced conception and specifically attacks world religions in a metaphorical sense.

Will have more info soon. Account ban bet on all info above. See you soon.

Apologize for terrible grammar and formatting. Phone posts are impossible.

Stark

Banned
People are more into action RPGs now than ever before. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Witcher, Dragon's Dogma and on and on.

The only people that would be upset about Final Fantasy trying something new are extremely pessimistic purists that are upset no matter what they do. FF has always been about complete reinvention.

Personally, I think they maxed out command based RPGs with XI, XII and XIII. What else can they really do? They took it to the limits of complexity with XI, and then tried to make it playable single player in XII. Then XIII took it to the limits of how far a command based game can go towards action.

There's really not a whole lot left for them to do with it. I can't wait until they go action personally.

As long as they make it different, i think any RPG type is okay.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

OK there we go. Sorry Im on a phone and I thought the thread was locked for some odd reason. Anyway, I can reveal the following info and Im doing it in public now.

I am being told game is NOT being called FF15. Yes it is PS4 exclusive. The budget has surpassed 120 million at this point and Square is not allowing anymore funding. Game will have massive unveiling before E3 with cryptic marketing blitz to follow. Talk of ARG starting soon. Various vehicles for characters that can upgraded and altered for battle. Very dark and mature themes. Themes or betrayal, retribution, and sacrifice for the greater good, with many gray areas and the journey to understand the ramifications of good and evil as philosophical concepts. Is thethe biggest, most ambitious FF of all time with very the mature themes such as forced conception and specifically attacks world religions in a metaphorical sense.

So it is a Final Fantasy, but it's not FF15?

jaxword

A name change to XV would reflect very poorly on Square and their confidence in the brand. It would basically be admitting their development cycles are such a mess that they can't get by without an artificial rebranding which brings a shitton of new, negative implications.

So you're saying you would not play XV if it were namechanged?

Shinta

Banned

Thanks for posting. Interesting stuff!

Dresden

Man I really can't wait for a jrpg to tackle mature themes like attacking world's religions in a metaphorical sense.

Mxrz

So its not 15? But PS4 exclusive?

Then what the hell is going on with 15 and that new engine square was showing off? Even farther away than believed?

The Jason

I wonder what they will call it, maybe just drop the XIII? They've probably been planning ffxv for a while so the are saving the title for that. Whatever it is called, being on ps4 makes sense because it seems like they had dev problems due to being too ambitious.

jaxword

I wonder what they will call it, maybe just drop the XIII? They've probably been planning ffxv for a while so the are saving the title for that. Whatever it is called, being on ps4 makes sense because it seems like they had dev problems due to being too ambitious.

I think everyone knows they'll drop the 13 soon.

120 Million? Goddamn.

DJIzana

So its not 15? But PS4 exclusive?

Then what the hell is going on with 15 and that new engine square was showing off? Even farther away than believed?

Square Enix have indicated Agni's Philosophy is strictly a tech demo. Nothing more... unless you're talking about a new game besides Agni's Philosophy that is... can't help you there. :p

Zeal

Banned
Oh great im already seeing this info popping up on sites. Whatever im outta here for a while. I expect the gamefaqs crew to spread any info and take credit. Whatever doesn't matter to me at this point. Time for a litte shut eye.

desu

Then what the hell is going on with 15 and that new engine square
was showing off? Even farther away than believed?

I doubt Versus/FF15 would ever use Luminous Engine, but rather a custom engine with parts of Luminous engine (there were actually a few interviews where they said they were using parts of the new engine). So I would guess FF16 would be the first game to use the complete version of Luminous engine.

Oh great im already seeing this info popping up on sites. Whatever im outta here for a while. I expect the gamefaqs crew to spread any info and take credit. Whatever doesn't matter to me at this point. Time for a litte shut eye.

No offence, but to me, your "info" mostly consists of things someone could have gussed after the reveal trailer 7 years ago ... let's see if that ARG happens ;).

Eusis

PS4 exclusive? I'd say that burns for anyone that got a PS3 for Versus, but if they waited YEARS without anything else they are idiots, and most people who aren't idiots probably got so much mileage out of it that they should be able to move on after the shock.

... If you can even be shocked at this point, it took so damn long it's not much of a surprise anymore.

Square Enix have indicated Agni's Philosophy is strictly a tech demo. Nothing more... unless you're talking about a new game besides Agni's Philosophy that is... can't help you there. :p
I would expect they may consider recycling some of what they did in Agni's Philosophy, seeing how people reacted to some elements (hopefully 'how about some middle east guerrilla soldiers' gets laughed off in a fantasy setting), but we'd probably see something VERY different.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I doubt Versus/FF15 would ever use Luminous Engine, but rather a custom engine with parts of Luminous engine (there were actually a few interviews where they said they were using parts of the new engine). So I would guess FF16 would be the first game to use the complete version of Luminous engine.
Versus was supposedly using the lighting tech from Luminous. Any future FF game should completely run on Luminous.

I really hope this is some sort of an error. I'm really excited for Versus and can't wait for it, but I also feel like XV should be a brand new concept.

duckroll

"The budget has surpassed 120 million at this point and Square is not allowing anymore funding."

Lol, so the game is canned? Unless Square Enix is restructuring as a charity organization. :p

MCD

$120 million

forced orgy conception and religious derp

EXTREME MATURE THEMES

This shit keeps on giving

KiN0

I'll be really disappointed if its a ps4 exclusive. Everything else sounds interesting if not a bit over-ambitious.

Eusis

Make 120 million dollar game, make it exclusive to one device with uncertain future. Yep that's Square alright :p
Well, if the PS4 isn't successful (and neither is the next Xbox) then this kind of game is doomed anyway. It does seem to have implications that things may not be working out with Microsoft. Or the fact it isn't canceled is because Sony funded several million.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'll be really disappointed if its a ps4 exclusive. Everything else sounds interesting if not a bit over-ambitious.
His rumour defies logic. Square Enix would have to be insane to do that if the 120 million budget is true. The game would need to sell at least 2 million + to break even, not to mention they need to secure a massive advertising budget from Sony.

DieH@rd

Banned
I fully expected that they would rename Versus into FF15. Fine by me. Just get it done already. Dont care what sistem is for [ps3 or ps4].

DJIzana

PS4 exclusive? I'd say that burns for anyone that got a PS3 for Versus, but if they waited YEARS without anything else they are idiots, and most people who aren't idiots probably got so much mileage out of it that they should be able to move on after the shock.

... If you can even be shocked at this point, it took so damn long it's not much of a surprise anymore.

I would expect they may consider recycling some of what they did in Agni's Philosophy, seeing how people reacted to some elements (hopefully 'how about some middle east guerrilla soldiers' gets laughed off in a fantasy setting), but we'd probably see something VERY different.

Good thing I have Sega as a backup as Versus XIII pretty much was the ONLY thing that sold me on buying a PS3, besides Valkyria Chronicles, Sonic and the Yakuza series.

On another note... I frankly don't care if they get rid of the Versus name. What I DO care about is them keeping the characters, setting, story, gameplay and all those badass moments we've seen in each trailer!

Mxrz

Yes. I assumed with a new engine they had new games in at least the concept stage, if not farther along. Having such a fully realized assets for a tech demo got my hopes up, too. But if Versus is switching platforms, that sounds like it could push everything back even farther.

If they really have nothing much else going on right now, then shit. 2016? 2017? for a new game? Even that would be assume their claims about the new engine speeding up development holds true.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How do they expect to release an unannounced, allegedly work-in-progress, next gen game if spending has been frozen? Is everyone involved volunteering?

Simply wat.

Account ban bet on all info above.

YOU ALREADY DONE FUCKED

The Jason

His rumour defies logic. Square Enix would have to be insane to do that if the 120 million budget is true. The game would need to sell at least 2 million + to break even, not to mention they need to secure a massive advertising budget from Sony.
200 people making an average of 100k a year (square has the best payed devs in the biz) for 7-8 years is more than that...

stryke

How do they expect to release an unannounced, allegedly work-in-progress, next gen game if spending has been frozen? Is everyone involved volunteering?

No, what they've probably done is now they've set a hard limit, no more leniency or compromises...and if they don't accomplish their goals in time they must commit sudoku.

Hey, if they're going to go all out, might as well do it on nextgen, lol. I'm perfectly fine with this, if they're willing to risk it.

Simply wat.

Maybe.... it's the budgeted amount that's been capped?

No, what they've probably done is now they've set a hard limit, no more leniency or compromises...and if they don't accomplish their goals in time they must commit sudoku.

Ah, that must be why Square's a mess - even the penalties are too lenient.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
But Japanese people love sudoku! We're screwed.

Shinta

Banned
200 people making an average of 100k a year (square has the best payed devs in the biz) for 7-8 years is more than that...

They haven't had 200 people making it for 7-8 years though. They entered full production a relatively short while ago.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
If 200 people were working on the game for 7-8 years then we would be playing it right now. They don't even have a proper gameplay video to show for it. Besides we know for a fact that most of SE staff was put on reviving FFXIV. As I said this rumour seems pretty unlikely.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Maybe.... it's the budgeted amount that's been capped?
That would be the obvious, more sensible interpretation. Still, whoever decided to add the silly "Square is not allowing anymore funding" after the first bit, is just being too, well... silly.

Eusis

Good thing I have Sega as a backup as Versus XIII pretty much was the ONLY thing that sold me on buying a PS3, besides Valkyria Chronicles, Sonic and the Yakuza series.
Yeah, admittedly I can definitely see people who didn't have too much else they wanted, but it's unwise to invest hundreds into a console unless you're sure you'll have at least a few games you really want to play, and I've got plenty of those on PS3 along with multiplat titles that are equal or better on PS3.

I think only a very, very small minority could've possibly gotten it just for Versus and nothing else, at the least they must've wanted FFXIII and maybe even XIII-2 and LR, though I guess they and more people could've been bitter with every other game they wanted popping up on 360/PC anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom