• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Versus outfit designer lists game as Final Fantasy XV (15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exentryk

Hmmm, this is interesting as they said at the beginning of 2012 that Luminous was being used in Versus to manage the lighting...
Contradiction! Objection!!

In June 2012, Wada said,
At present, there are no games using Luminous Studio as an engine. Wada personally would like to see internal use of the engine by the end of the year or early next year.

I guess he meant the engine being used full time to make a game. We know Versus was using the engine partially for the lightning.

RocBase

I know the game cost breakdown, that's why I added "+" after 2 million. The amount of revenue they get differs from publisher to publisher. Square Enix does not have to pay royalties to the studio developing the game because it's being made internally. That's one advantage of that. These guys have been in business for decades now and have solid distribution network set up in most countries. Yes, they need to pay the platform holder some royalties and other costs, but even after that they will get more than $40 per game. Also, at least 30% or more copies will be sold in Japan where the game would cost (after converting) $80-$90, so that would be profitable for them. Final Fantasy XIII, for example, was almost $89. It's a complex thing, really.

Versus or FFXV could ship 6 million easily but we really don't know how the market will react to it. The brand isn't in a good shape but I expect it to do well.

They may have shipped 9.6 million for FXIII and XIII-2 but only FFXIII performed really well (4.5 to 5 million sold/6 million shipped). FFXIII-2 didn't even hit 2 million sales, so shipment figures can be deceptive sometimes.

Yeah, people seem to be interested in Versus but it's hard to say what will happen.
Not to mention Europe, games there also have a similar price range (roughly 70-90 dollars, though earlier on in this gen it was much worse). FF13 was around 90-100 dollars IIRC and they pushed almost as much copies as NA.

But yeah I agree, really hard to tell what will happen.

This is really all that needs to be said.

If they can generate interest, they generate sales.

It doesn't matter if it's FFV or FFVersus. The "name change" stuff is meaningless.

I think things will be just fine.

rAluwCZ.gif
what game is that?

zeopower6

Didn't know and it could very well be; that would mean they didn't want the info to be leaked so early.

Well.... that latter part is unlikely since the bio has been up like that since at least summer of last year. It only caused issues now because it was brought to everyone's attention.

I am thinking whoever typed it up (some intern?) just goofed the name of the game.

Narolf

Banned
I posted this in every Versus thread for the past 4 years.
:p That is relieving I guess.
Well.... that latter part is unlikely since the bio has been up like that since at least summer of last year. It only caused issues now because it was brought to everyone's attention.

I am thinking whoever typed it up (some intern?) just goofed the name of the game.

Must have mixed up FFX with Versus.

Endless

Anyone can translate? http://www.roen.jp/information/shopinfo/biography-表記の誤りについて/

BIOGRAPHY 表記の誤りについて
16 March 2013

Roen Official Websiteをご覧頂いてる皆様ならびに関係者様各位に表記の誤りと修正をお伝えさせていただきます。

BIOGRAPHYページの2008年に記載されている、スクウェア・エニックス社様のタイトル 「FINAL FANTASY」の衣装デザインを行わせて頂いた文章に一部誤りがございました。

表記の修正を行っておりますので、ご確認くださいませ。

今後このような事が起きぬようスタッフで対策を行い、誤った内容が表記されぬようより一層努めますので、何卒ご容赦くださいませ。

よろしくお願い致します。

I think it says that has been just a typo.

Hindle

Banned
I don't buy the exclusivity rumours. If they appeal to the Xbox crowd more, then they can make the brand massive again in NA. Not to mention a project that costs 120m being exclusive? It would be like GTA 5 being an exclusive.

The series won't to return to the sales they used to do by being exclusive.

Famassu

200 people making an average of 100k a year (square has the best payed devs in the biz) for 7-8 years is more than that...
Except they haven't been working on it fulltime with a 200-man team for 7-8 years (try more like 4, at this point with all the FFXIIIs and XIVs they've had to help with that have halted development) and Nomura said in mid-2011 that the team had been quite small for a project of its size until that point. So yeah, not a 200 man team working on the game for 7-8 years. Probably something like 50 people working on it for 2,5-3 years and then they started building up the team size for the "full production" that began in Summer 2011, though was probably halted by XIV again....

You know what I hate. Loving Team ICO games, Final Fantasy and Half Life.

The wait for these games have been ... excruciating. If E3 comes along and there is no release date (or announcement in HL3's case) for these games, I don't know what to believe in anymore.

ash_ag

So basically FF is whatever SE decides to slap the label on.

And what are these "core mechanics" the series is known for that FFXIII has? The only similarity is that you select commands and watch them executed. If that is the core of FF, then I guess basically every jrpg ever made is FF at heart.

All numbered Final Fantasy games' battle system is a spin on the turn-based battle system. When you look at it, the FFXIII battle system is not too different from ATB. Paradigm Shift is sort of like an addition to ATB, and the several changes are there to bring it to a modern level. Now, other things would include the disunion of physical and magical attacks, summons, common spells -- most of these are included in XI and XIV as well, but what makes the MMOs distinct (besides the core battle system not being a spin on turn-based combat), comes on things related to the story; they are more open ended and unfocused; not that this is a bad thing -- they have an excellent lore -- but it's too big a differentiation point. FFXIII, like the rest offline Final Fantasy games has a special focus on characters, a define plot, dramatic elements and so on. Sure, game design-wise (and arguably story quality-wise), it's not the best thing Square Enix has ever created, but that's not what we're discussing.

Also, indeed, many of these elements are common among JRPGs, anyway. But where does this "every jrpg ever made is FF at heart" come from? Do other RPGs' non mechanics-related elements compare to Final Fantasy? Besides the story and character themes explored in numbered Final Fantasy games, there are also certain design elements exclusive to FF. Chocobos, crystals, traditional spells, shared myths and summons, you name it. And don't forget art direction -- Final Fantasy's style is distinctively Japanese, but it has a universal appeal. Compare that to Tales or Star Ocean, and I think you'll know what I'm talking about.

It's a combination of things really. I think most Final Fantasy games will remind of Final Fantasy as they are. Square Enix has to sort of realize this formula, modernize and change it as needed and optimize it to fit with what they want to make.

I don't buy the exclusivity rumours. If they appeal to the Xbox crowd more, then they can make the brand massive again in NA. Not to mention a project that costs 120m being exclusive? It would be like GTA 5 being an exclusive.

The series won't to return to the sales they used to do by being exclusive.

FF was a bigger brand before this generation when it was exclusive. What matters is how much Square will lose if they did not put it on Xbox. The majority of FF sales this gen have been from PS and if Sony decides to money hat then subsidizing those missing sales would be enough for Square to release it as exclusive.

Also, no FF does not need to be on Xbox to become massive again. It just needs to be good. PS3 base is large enough to allow growth even if it was exclusive and we do not know how popular next gen consoles will be in each region yet.

FFVersus was touted as a PS3 exclusive and even after 5 years no other platforms were mentioned.

I think it mostly depends on Sony and if they want to money hat.

Anyone can translate? http://www.roen.jp/information/shopinfo/biography-表記の誤りについて/

I think it says that has been just a typo.

Yes, they're just saying that they're sorry for the mistake and the usual stuff...
Typo... heh...

I would have been more inclined to believe them if it was something like XIII Versus -> XV.
But before it was written in numbers as 15, so there is no way this was a simple mistake.

The game has been rebranded internally as Final Fantasy XV since last June at least.
That is perfectly believable.

Hindle

Banned
FF was a bigger brand before this generation when it was exclusive. What matters is how much Square will lose if they did not put it on Xbox. The majority of FF sales this gen have been from PS and if Sony decides to money hat then subsidizing those missing sales would be enough for Square to release it as exclusive.

Also, no FF does not need to be on Xbox to become massive again. It just needs to be good. PS3 base is large enough to allow growth even if it was exclusive and we do not know how popular next gen consoles will be in each region yet.

FFVersus was touted as a PS3 exclusive and even after 5 years no other platforms were mentioned.

I think it mostly depends on Sony and if they want to money hat.

Assuming the game is current gen, Square are going to ignore a market of 77m? If the game is next gen, The Xbox brand is only going to get bigger, if they ignore that then they're incredibly stupid.

or are they trying to save face? lol

First rule if you let a secret slip, you deny the secret exists.

You don't go "Oh whoops, guess you found out! Yeah we totally doing clothing designs for a new numbered final fantasy that hasn't been announced yet."

StuBurns

Banned
$120M? That seems impossible.

It'd need to sell four million units full price, with zero marketing, just to break even.

Go_Ly_Dow

Versus is a great game. I've been playing it for nearly 7 years now :)

Clocked around 60,096 hours so far.

the waiting game - in my mind

The Jason

You know, now that I think about it: if it's not FFvsXIII for real, and it's not FFXV either, then it's probably going to be FF Type-1. It's an extension of their stated goal with the Type labeling, experiments that aren't exactly traditional FF.

This sounds like a good solution, after all Type-0 was initially Final Fantasy Agito-XIII. And the name is cool sounding enough

Whatever it is we all just hope it comes out

This sounds like a good solution, after all Type-0 was initially Final Fantasy Agito-XIII. And the name is cool sounding enough

Whatever it is we all just hope it comes out

If I'm not mistaken Tabata also recently said that Type-1 would have been on home consoles if possible.
That would be cool, but I'm not sure I can see that happening.

The Type brand as of now is exclusive for Japan, if they rename Versus to that releasing it in the west as Type-1 would be weird. (Better than Type-2 of course)
Unless they finally decide to release officially Type-0...

And how did you calculate that?

The publisher gets $30 for each copy sold full price, I believe this is well known.

Coxy

No, it doesn't. No need to generalise for one person's (psxphreak's) posts. Aryllies's posts are still to be proven wrong. In fact, Aryllies actually backed you on the "something went wrong" at PS4 presentation statement.

Aryllies was already proven to be full of shit by claiming to be in japan when social media profiles show him in france

That's actually a little generous, publishers get between $26 and $28 per full priced unit sold, so I rounded to $30 for ease and whatever random DLC there's bound to be, and I multiplied it by four.

I believe that the above rumored $120M is including the estimated remaining dev time and marketing.
It wouldn't make any sense to cut any additional funding unless the game is complete otherwise.

StuBurns

Banned
I believe that the above rumored $120M is including the estimated remaining dev time and marketing.
It wouldn't make any sense to cut any additional funding unless the game is complete otherwise.
That's not what it says:
The budget has surpassed 120 million at this point and Square is not allowing anymore funding.

Surpassed, so already spent. And SE are funding no more, so no more development, and no marketing budget. Which is obviously not the case.

That's not what it says:

Surpassed, so already spent. And SE are funding no more, so no more development, and no marketing budget. Which is obviously not the case.

The budget has surpassed $120M, not the spending.
That means that S-E allocated more than $120M to be spent on the game.

Rumor posts are not to be taken literally though, things can be easily lost or misunderstood in communication and translation.

EDIT: As you say it wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

But XIII released 3 years ago. People still associate the series with command-based combat.

Is this always for the best though? I remember once I was watching the FF Versus XIII 2011 trailer and someone behind me saw it and was literally like "Wow, what game is that?!" I told him it was FF Versus XIII and he said, "But I thought FF was always turn based? This game looks amazing"

The beauty of this series is that there is something in it for everyone. FF has been all over the place; ARPG, SRPG, Shooter, Fighting, etc. I love the fact that each one has variety. And if any team can save the FF name it would be the team behind KH1 and KH2.

Is this always for the best though? I remember once I was watching the FF Versus XIII 2011 trailer and someone behind me saw it and was literally like "Wow, what game is that?!" I told him it was FF Versus XIII and he said, "But I thought FF was always turn based? This game looks amazing"

The beauty of this series is that there is something in it for everyone. FF has been all over the place; ARPG, SRPG, Shooter, Fighting, etc. I love the fact that each one has variety. And if any team can save the FF name it would be the team behind KH1 and KH2.

considering games like Dragon's Dogma and FFXII, we're running out of reasons to keep JRPGs turn based other than "because we've always done it that way."

changing up the status quo is inevitable. wouldn't be surprised if versus is another move in that direction.

StuBurns

Banned
The budget has surpassed $120M, not the spending.
That means that S-E allocated more than $120M to be spent on the game.

Rumor posts are not to be taken literally though, things can be easily lost or misunderstood in communication and translation.

EDIT: As you say it wouldn't make any sense otherwise.
That's true, it just seems very unlikely to me. Not just because it's a lot, it's not that much for a 'AAA' game including marketing, but if it's an exclusive, Sony has to be footing a very large percentage of that bill, there's no way SE would make it exclusive to PS4 for nothing, and I can't imagine it makes sense for Sony to bankroll a game that really isn't going to benefit them much at all.

That's true, it just seems very unlikely to me. Not just because it's a lot, it's not that much for a 'AAA' game including marketing, but if it's an exclusive, Sony has to be footing a very large percentage of that bill, there's no way SE would make it exclusive to PS4 for nothing, and I can't imagine it makes sense for Sony to bankroll a game that really isn't going to benefit them much at all.

I too believe that $120M is way too much, especially considering how S-E works with small teams (relatively to western 700-800 people AAA dev teams at least).
Unless that sum is comprehensive of everything (marketing, development, production, and all else) and someone else (Sony to keep it exclusive?) contributed heavily I don't believe it to be true.

Shahed

As long as I get the game, I'm happy regardless of the branding. Maybe in the past I would have been disappointed in a mainline FF being an Action game. But after XI and XIV, that's no longer the case

Exentryk

Aryllies was already proven to be full of shit by claiming to be in japan when social media profiles show him in france

Links please. He actually has proven that he is in Japan with an image that I can pm you if you want.

Foffy

Banned
I don't buy the typo. '15' is barely an error you can make with XIII Versus. At best, the error could be seen in XV, but explained in parenthesis as XIII Versus.

Whompa

the debate of whether or not it was a typo rages on! At this point, just gunna wait till e3. They showed Noctis perfume, now someone discovers this, then there's the whole Kotaku Versus bs inside source stuff about development being folded over to FF15, and the CEO of Square said we've got the next installment to FF to show you at E3...I'm just going to assume all of the above will actually come to fruition at some point...and if the CEO says e3, then it will be e3.

considering games like Dragon's Dogma and FFXII, we're running out of reasons to keep JRPGs turn based other than "because we've always done it that way."

changing up the status quo is inevitable. wouldn't be surprised if versus is another move in that direction.

All hail the homogenization of the modern gaming world.

RPGCrazied

Why is it called Versus XIII anyway? It doesn't use the same characters or world. I'm fine with it being renamed to XV, long as it releases. Since we waited so long, it should worldwide release this holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom