• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Versus outfit designer lists game as Final Fantasy XV (15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymmv

Banned
His rumour defies logic. Square Enix would have to be insane to do that if the 120 million budget is true. The game would need to sell at least 2 million + to break even, not to mention they need to secure a massive advertising budget from Sony.

Ehmm ... when a game sells for $60, that doesn't mean the publisher gets the full amount ... The shop takes a substantial cut, there's taxes, there's distribution and manufacturing costs, the licensing fee to the platform holder. What's left (about 30% of that $60) goes to the publisher to pay off the development and marketing costs.

Square would have to sell at least six million copies to break even. According to Wikipedia, FF XIII had shipped 6.2 million copies in 2010. A combined total of 9.6 copies had been sold for XIII and XIII-2 in mid 2012 (on both 360 and PS3). It could be done as a multi platform but on a single platform? I don't expect this to be a launch title for the PS4, this would only make sense in its 2nd year on the market.

RocBase

120 million DOLLARS? Goddamn.

His rumour defies logic. Square Enix would have to be insane to do that if the 120 million budget is true. The game would need to sell at least 2 million + to break even, not to mention they need to secure a massive advertising budget from Sony.
FF13 sold 5 million, so if that info is true I guess they're banking on Versus doing similar if not better numbers? There's still a lot of hype for this game despite its lack of everything, not to mention SE's string of FF fiascos...

FF generally is a system seller anyway, hell people were already buying PS3s for Versus that early in.

Oh great im already seeing this info popping up on sites. Whatever im outta here for a while. I expect the gamefaqs crew to spread any info and take credit. Whatever doesn't matter to me at this point. Time for a litte shut eye.
The Versus Gamefaqs board - or anyone with enough imagination for that matter - have been speculating similar things since forever ago...nevermind that they don't take credit for info. Calm down man.

mikeGFG

Banned
yo my dad works for squaresoft and final fantasy 15 is going to be a robot chocobo fighting game

if thats not true then ill never post on alt.games.final-fantasy again

see u at SIGGRAPH '97

jaxword

I have a feeling this old image is going to make the rounds again, it's the first google hit for FF15 images.

A1POedX.jpg

I wonder if the artist is laughing that 5 years later he hasn't been proven wrong yet?

The Jason

They haven't had 200 people making it for 7-8 years though. They entered full production a relatively short while ago.
They started production in 2005. It was suppose to come out shortly after XIII. Also my estimate was at 100k a year, which is half as much as the average pay at SE.

I'm not saying it has cost 120mill but its certainly possible.

Eusis

The more I think about it, if BOTH are true (120 Million budget and PS4 exclusive) there must have been a huge chunk of that paid by Sony. In that case it won't matter if FFvXIII doesn't do as well as other FFs, if it's a million seller at all it's a vital key for Sony building an immediate strong foothold, and for that it's worth investing in the game as it'll pay itself back indirectly.

Though it's possible everything spent on the final version is a small slice of that versus continued reboots akin to RE4.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Relieving the title of XIII's tainted brand?
Good job, SE... I wonder how the mythos will play out though.

jaxword

yo my dad works for squaresoft and final fantasy 15 is going to be a robot chocobo fighting game

if thats not true then ill never post on alt.games.final-fantasy again

see u at SIGGRAPH '97

What the heck is alt.final-fantasy? A file?

And what's siggraph?

Eusis

Relieving the title of XIII's tainted brand?
Good job, SE... I wonder how the mythos will play out though.
You know, now that I think about it: if it's not FFvsXIII for real, and it's not FFXV either, then it's probably going to be FF Type-1. It's an extension of their stated goal with the Type labeling, experiments that aren't exactly traditional FF.

Negator

120 million dollars. Holy shit man.

It's hard to imagine that much money going into something that is not done yet. SE is on a whole other level of WHAT.

Anyone know of any other games that cost more than $120 million to make?

stryke

I wish Richard Honeywood still worked with Square. He could have been the closest thing to a source if I could claim to have one :(

Narolf

Banned
Test post. About to post info.

OK there we go. Sorry Im on a phone and I thought the thread was locked for some odd reason. Anyway, I can reveal the following info and Im doing it in public now.

I am being told game is NOT being called FF15. Yes it is PS4 exclusive. The budget has surpassed 120 million at this point and Square is not allowing anymore funding. Game will have massive unveiling before E3 with cryptic marketing blitz to follow. Talk of ARG starting soon. Various vehicles for characters that can upgraded and altered for battle. Very dark and mature themes. Themes or betrayal, retribution, and sacrifice for the greater good, with many gray areas and the journey to understand the ramifications of good and evil as philosophical concepts. Is thethe biggest, most ambitious FF of all time with very the mature themes such as forced conception and specifically attacks world religions in a metaphorical sense.

Will have more info soon. Account ban bet on all info above. See you soon.

Apologize for terrible grammar and formatting. Phone posts are impossible.

Sure the budget isn't something like 75K?

Shinta

Banned
120 million dollars. Holy shit man.

It's hard to imagine that much money going into something that is not done yet. SE is on a whole other level of WHAT.

Anyone know of any other games that cost more than $120 million to make?

Probably Grand Theft Auto V.

I can't believe they can be so stupid, at this point it's pretty much certain that Versus has been renamed in XV and made a mainline release.

Will it be on Ps3 or Ps4 though? That question still remains unanswered...
I would have bet on Ps4 a few weeks ago, but after digging some more I'm not so sure anymore.

Narolf

Banned
I can't believe they can be so stupid, at this point it's pretty much certain that Versus has been renamed in XV and made a mainline release.

I would have bet on Ps4 a few weeks ago, but after digging some more I'm not so sure anymore.

Both if you ask me, same as Twilight Princess.

Exentryk

Well, you have to understand that SE doesn't really have an engine ready for the PS4 yet. Luminous studio is just now being utilized for the PS4.

Wouldn't Square need to perform an engine overhaul to get it running on PS4? And if they're aiming for Agni's Philosophy level of fidelity, they would need to scrap many assets. Still, it would be a killer move by Sony, but getting a $120m game exclusive for a new platform requires either deep pockets or some other form of compensation.

I also do not believe the game to be exclusive anymore. I'm just saying Ps3/Ps4 out of habit but I think it's highly unlikely that the game stays confined to a single (double?) platform.

Both if you ask me, same as Twilight Princess.

Could be...

Well, you have to understand that SE doesn't really have an engine ready for the PS4 yet. Luminous studio is just now being utilized for the PS4.

Work on Luminous has started long ago, if they made it scalable and didn't use too much Assembler it can be easily ported to the next generation without having to rebuild it from the ground up.

stryke

Wouldn't Square need to perform an engine overhaul to get it running on PS4? And if they're aiming for Agni's Philosophy level of fidelity, they would need to scrap many assets. Still, it would be a killer move by Sony, but getting a $120m game exclusive for a new platform requires either deep pockets or some other form of compensation.

I've been thinking about it as well. If there's truth to this, we know decision was made probably less than one and a half years ago.

120 million is insane, I have a hard time believing that. I always assumed the game was taking so long because they only had a small team working on it during the first few years because they gave priority to other games, but to burn through that amount of cash they had to have a lot of resources allocated to it which begs the question: what the hell have they been doing?
I'm not surprised by PS4 exclusivity. The xbox brand is dead in Japan and in the west a huge chunk of XIII's sales were on PS3. It still feels like a bad move by SE but maybe it wasn't as hard ($) for sony to convince them as we think. Versus was always a PS3 exclusive anyway.

Maybe it's true but I'm convinced the budget isn't that high and that if the game has been moved to next gen it will be released on both consoles, specially if it has become a mainline entry.

I've been thinking about it as well. If there's truth to this, we know decision was made probably less than one and a half years ago.

They clearly said a little less than one year ago that the next time we would have seen the game it would have been running on a real PS3.
That was the main thing that made me skeptic of the decision to bring it to eight gen since it means that the decision would have been made too recently.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be disappointed if this was on the PS3. I don't have one, and I don't want one. I'm 80% sure I'll be getting the PS4, though.

I'd feel bad for the PS3 owners who've been waiting six years for this game though, lol.

Narolf

Banned
I also do not believe the game to be exclusive anymore. I'm just saying Ps3/Ps4 out of habit but I think it's highly unlikely that the game stays confined to a single (double?) platform.

Could be...

Work on Luminous has started long ago, if they made it scalable and didn't use too much Assembler it can be easily ported to the next generation without having to rebuild it from the ground up.

I don't mind it coming to the 360 since the PS3/4's version will be the superior, same as XIII; though I would be concerned about how downgraded the game gets in that case, by bearing in mind XIII as an antecedent still. Story should be left untouched anyway, so it's fine.

yeah I was just about to say that. Why does it have to be exclusive to one generations. I think it will be like Twilight Princess and be a PS3/PS4 game. Sony probably wants a FF title at the beginning of the PS4 to help it sell.

I will assume its exclusive to Playstation until Square officially announces other platforms.

Exentryk

Wada himself said the engine was not being used to make a game even as late as Q4 2012. I'll try to find the article.

Btw, Japanese speaking GAF, the guy who usually tweets about KH has posted this regarding Versus XIII name. Care to translate?

[Removed] Since it may be a scan =/. Look up @bKvEBVAvUq

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Ehmm ... when a game sells for $60, that doesn't mean the publisher gets the full amount ... The shop takes a substantial cut, there's taxes, there's distribution and manufacturing costs, the licensing fee to the platform holder. What's left (about 30% of that $60) goes to the publisher to pay off the development and marketing costs.
I know the game cost breakdown, that's why I added "+" after 2 million. The amount of revenue they get differs from publisher to publisher. Square Enix does not have to pay royalties to the studio developing the game because it's being made internally. That's one advantage of that. These guys have been in business for decades now and have solid distribution network set up in most countries. Yes, they need to pay the platform holder some royalties and other costs, but even after that they will get more than $40 per game. Also, at least 30% or more copies will be sold in Japan where the game would cost (after converting) $80-$90, so that would be profitable for them. Final Fantasy XIII, for example, was almost $89. It's a complex thing, really.

According to Wikipedia, FF XIII had shipped 6.2 million copies in 2010. A combined total of 9.6 copies had been sold for XIII and XIII-2 in mid 2012 (on both 360 and PS3). It could be done as a multi platform but on a single platform? I don't expect this to be a launch title for the PS4, this would only make sense in its 2nd year on the market.
Versus or FFXV could ship 6 million easily but we really don't know how the market will react to it. The brand isn't in a good shape but I expect it to do well.

They may have shipped 9.6 million for FXIII and XIII-2 but only FFXIII performed really well (4.5 to 5 million sold/6 million shipped). FFXIII-2 didn't even hit 2 million sales, so shipment figures can be deceptive sometimes.

FF13 sold 5 million, so if that info is true I guess they're banking on Versus doing similar if not better numbers? There's still a lot of hype for this game despite its lack of everything, not to mention SE's string of FF fiascos...

FF generally is a system seller anyway, hell people were already buying PS3s for Versus that early in.
Yeah, people seem to be interested in Versus but it's hard to say what will happen.

jaxword

Yeah, people seem to be interested in Versus but it's hard to say what will happen.

This is really all that needs to be said.

If they can generate interest, they generate sales.

It doesn't matter if it's FFV or FFVersus. The "name change" stuff is meaningless.

I think things will be just fine.

rAluwCZ.gif

I don't mind it coming to the 360 since the PS3/4's version will be the superior, same as XIII; though I would be concerned about how downgraded the game gets in that case, by bearing in mind XIII as an antecedent still. Story should be left untouched anyway, so it's fine.

I believe that the fact that XIII was ruined because going multiplatform has been proven wrong (especially the whole corridor thing, supposedly made so they could split the game in different DVDs).
If the game is going multiplatform the differences should be minimal and only in regards to graphics, not gameplay.

Wada himself said the engine was not being used to make a game even as late as Q4 2012. I'll try to find the article.

Hmmm, this is interesting as they said at the beginning of 2012 that Luminous was being used in Versus to manage the lighting...
Contradiction! Objection!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom