• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT2| Use a security token. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairu

Nothing wrong with riposte.

Mister Happy is on Sargatanas? I thought it was another server. Interesting. He is the Legacy LS. Seen those guys around.

Try to create a network of players by joining multiple linkshells and keep in touch with people you did the last quest battle with.

I think they did a really poor job of making the game social. The worst part is when you do dungeons from the duty finder, once you're in there, everything else about the person seems to be stripped out - you can't see what guild they're in, what server they're on, and can't message them after the dungeon is over. There's no way you can keep in contact with people if you end up enjoying the experience as it's designed to be short term and disposable. Quests can be done by yourself, and will even not let you proceed in many of them if you have someone else with you. FATEs are entirely mindless requiring no skill or strategy up until maybe the last ones (I've only found one that requires some coordination)

I really enjoy the game a lot (when I can get in) but as far as criticisms for what went wrong, I think they went an opposite extreme from FF11. Instead of being forced to party up to complete your objectives, you can play almost every single piece without having to interact with anyone - and your interactions with others are brief and forgettable.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Any food I should be eating as a tank (pld)? I'm thinking I'm taking too much damage.

Generally stuff that adds to vit, parry should help. Not sure what level you besides being 30+ but I make myself those dark pretzels or something am a warrior here, but my main job is just to be the center of attention / damage sponge. So dont go for things that up str on my menu for foods.

I really go off of what I can make myself at the moment so my advice might not be all that useful if one has gil to burn to purchase higher level stuff from the market. D:

Kandinsky

Anyone knows where the npc that activates your chobi to fight with you is?, he is no longer where he was in the beta. Gridania pls.

I believe Titan's massive AoE does damage relative to your distance from him while you're inside it, but while you're outside of it, it does a pretty big knockback, which, if you're far enough away to get outside of it, will knock you off the edge - insta-death.

Sakura

Any food I should be eating as a tank (pld)? I'm thinking I'm taking too much damage.

I just eat the food that gives me the Vit + 4% or 8%. Though I'm not sure I really need it, I never get that close to dying. It's usually the other party members that get themselves killed standing in AoEs and such.

Darkman M

Can you clarify on this? I mean it's understandable you can't solo everything but if you can put in context against FFXI (pre-level 75+). I'm just afraid that I personally don't have time to be a part of a linkshell / group in the game as I may only log in once every couple of days.
Lol nothing like FFXI, solo play is waaayy easier, did Solo even exist in 11?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Can you clarify on this? I mean it's understandable you can't solo everything but if you can put in context against FFXI (pre-level 75+). I'm just afraid that I personally don't have time to be a part of a linkshell / group in the game as I may only log in once every couple of days.

Compared to in groups. You get extra XP for being in parties in a lot of situations.

Also the item timer is REALLY unforgiving unlike many other games. You won't get to pop a buff potion to start a fight, an antidote in case you get poisoned, then a hi-potion then things get bad - they're all on the same timer. If you're going to solo, then you're simply going to have to put in the time to have better equipment vs those that choose to party up (who could just as easily have good equipment too).

It is true in the sense that you don't get mobbed nearly as often. Can't disregard that. Its much easier to manage most fights.

Parakeetman

If you were the friendless wonder the beastmaster you could to some extent. But for the most part not only was in highly difficult to impossible, it was also a huge waste of time / inefficient exp gaining.

Do the Japanese servers have all of these login issues?

Yes because all the western players are flooding the servers like rats from a sinking ship. /sarcasm. Seriously though we have the exact same problems since launch.

Compared to in groups. You get extra XP for being in parties in a lot of situations.

Also the item timer is REALLY unforgiving unlike many other games. You won't get to pop a buff potion to start a fight, an antidote in case you get poisoned, then a hi-potion then things get bad - they're all on the same timer. If you're going to solo, then you're simply going to have to put in the time to have better equipment vs those that choose to party up (who could just as easily have good equipment too).

It is true in the sense that you don't get mobbed nearly as often. Can't disregard that. Its much easier to manage most fights.

Though the buff potions dont even last all that long, so those things are better off being tossed in the trash imho... Considering its on the same timer as you mentioned with the healing potions.

Yay, got 50 and my AF for Scholar and Summoner! :D

ffxiv_09022013_000438ans13.png

ffxiv_09022013_000626kgs1q.png

SMN AF might be my favorite of 'em all. Love it. Cute little wings on the back, too. :p

Weens

Neo Member
Yes because all the western players are flooding the servers like rats from a sinking ship. /sarcasm. Seriously though we have the exact same problems since launch.

Thank you, that was my fear. Will hold out a little while longer to purchase.

DY_nasty

I think they did a really poor job of making the game social. The worst part is when you do dungeons from the duty finder, once you're in there, everything else about the person seems to be stripped out - you can't see what guild they're in, what server they're on, and can't message them after the dungeon is over. There's no way you can keep in contact with people if you end up enjoying the experience as it's designed to be short term and disposable. Quests can be done by yourself, and will even not let you proceed in many of them if you have someone else with you. FATEs are entirely mindless requiring no skill or strategy up until maybe the last ones (I've only found one that requires some coordination)

I really enjoy the game a lot (when I can get in) but as far as criticisms for what went wrong, I think they went an opposite extreme from FF11. Instead of being forced to party up to complete your objectives, you can play almost every single piece without having to interact with anyone - and your interactions with others are brief and forgettable.

I sorta agree with this... But Player Finder isn't all that bad at this stage. I haven't lost anyone that I wanted to keep in touch with post-dungeon.

I will say that instead of forcing people to interact, SE bribes the player instead. Fates are mindless in the early game, yes, but you still get big bonuses for being partied up for them - even if you decide to party up during the event. Later on, Fates become a more coordinated effort like you said though. The 'big' ones even moreso.

I like that you're not forced into working together and the rewards aren't exactly otherworldly for grouping at the same time. The balance isn't perfect of course, but I do like what they were shooting for.

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
just something I thought I would throw in here. last night/yesterday morning, it was between about 5-7am, I was questing in and around Quarrymill and noticed something. Nobody in the town was moving. literally 50-60+ people just sitting there, silently and no motion, either on mounts or standing. I was the only one moving around town, which is why I stopped for a second and took it all in. it was kinda creepy actually.

Parakeetman

Thank you, that was my fear. Will hold out a little while longer to purchase.

A lot of people were saying they couldnt log on over the weekend over here. So yeah you might want to hold off.

just something I thought I would throw in here. last night/yesterday morning, it was between about 5-7am, I was questing in and around Quarrymill and noticed something. Nobody in the town was moving. literally 50-60+ people just sitting there, silently and no motion, either on mounts or standing. I was the only one moving around town, which is why I stopped for a second and took it all in. it was kinda creepy actually.

Im curious as to how the game itself works with the inns. Though theres no "overflow" server like guildwars. Perhaps it would be better for SQEX to make inns in all major aether point locations that people who want to "idle" get sent off to a different server. So those who actually play get let in. Problem being is that all of the major aether points you can just idle there and get the bonus rest exp. The system needs to be redesigned in some way to force idlers to go "somewhere" else off the actual server so that those who are constantly active can have their slot on the server to play.

d0c_zaius

I had a great day. Got in with no troubles, and had a couple people in my linkshell help with the first two story dungeons. Gained 3 levels, did the level 20 THM quest.

I fucking love this game.

looks like im jealous of you this time. what server are you on?

Mairu

I sorta agree with this... But Player Finder isn't all that bad at this stage. I haven't lost anyone that I wanted to keep in touch with post-dungeon.

I will say that instead of forcing people to interact, SE bribes the player instead. Fates are mindless in the early game, yes, but you still get big bonuses for being partied up for them - even if you decide to party up during the event. Later on, Fates become a more coordinated effort like you said though. The 'big' ones even moreso.

I like that you're not forced into working together and the rewards aren't exactly otherworldly for grouping at the same time. The balance isn't perfect of course, but I do like what they were shooting for.

If they had cross-server messaging to go along with the already cross-server duty finder/dungeons, I'd be pretty satisfied

DY_nasty

Though the buff potions dont even last all that long, so those things are better off being tossed in the trash imho... Considering its on the same timer as you mentioned with the healing potions.

Eh, depends for me. +15% damage + Heavy Thrust's 10% + Blood for Blood's 20% on the back of a Full Thrust is a big deal when I can guarantee a crit/heal with Life Surge.

I'm partial to buffs but it sucks knowing that I have to always worry about the possibility of a lag spike leaving me in range of a AOE nuke.

How do you unlock Amdapor Keep? People said it was after you beat the story, but if that's the case, why is it a 47-49 dungeon? Or is that information wrong as well? lol

Kenai

Cool, I finally got in...*looks at clock*. Looks like I won't be missing another beautiful sunrise this particular morning.

I keep hearing these duty finder horror stories. Thank god I rolled a tank. It's gonna suck when I have to level my pug.

I'm a tank. DF healers are a roughly 50% chance of being awful. You can't win in this scenario, which is why I am desperately Friends listing every good healer I run across.

Eusis

Deciding to give it another shot and it's amazing how bad it is to get in. Usually this time of night's fine but I guess with labor day tomorrow even this is no good. Doesn't help I got into queue twice only to be kicked out.

Parakeetman

The lighting in this game is awesome.

It really is. Sometimes I like waiting in the inn till the noon? effect shines through the windows then go panning the camera around to see how the light effects the character model. Really cool stuff.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It says my current service account doesn't allow for the creation of anymore characters. Do I have to enter in all my payment info before creating my first character?

Hubb

What makes a good or bad healer?

9 times out of 10 it is awareness. Is the tank debuffed? Is there a red circle under me? Long story short, awareness.

It says my current service account doesn't allow for the creation of anymore characters. Do I have to enter in all my payment info before creating my first character?

There is a type of account that only lets you create 1 character per server, you pay less per month for it. I'm not sure why you aren't allowed to create any though.

Ampador is def lvl 50. You might be thinking of Aurum Vale, which is 47-49.

Oh okay, that explains it then. I thought I was missing a dungeon. I haven't beaten the story yet, but I'm nearing it, I think. I just got to the part where I have to do an 8-man lvl50 instance raid (after the 8-man boss fight in the previous main mission). How close am I to getting the Magitek armor mount? :x

Paprikka

If you see this, sorry Illya, computer crashed right after you asked me to heal. I'll try and get back on but don't know how long it'll be.

Riposte

This game is, in fact, very anti-social. At most you'll see a lot of socializing within your free company, but those will be separate little bubbles. Linkshells are a smaller, although similar bubble-like, alternative, but I don't expect those to be around in force a few months after launch. This anti-social quality is common for MMORPGs, outside FFXI that is. Even WoW players recognized the effect of taking things off server (and into instances) does to a wider community.

Matchmaking in Call of Duty has stronger potential to make friends than Duty Finder - you can easily reconnect with anyone you play a match with and there is no difference from "server" and "off-server" expectations (Duty Finder is already infamous for its bad players, so some people will go into it pessimistic and apathetic).

Outside of Duty Finder, FATEs were designed to be as solo-friendly as possible, much to the determent of interesting content (outside the handful at endgame they decided to put some effort into designing) and creates a way to quickly level to 50 by just blindly spamming your AoE attack while alone among others.

One downgrade of Version 1.0 is that outside dungeons and primals, they made sure quests were strictly solo friendly - turning the Artifact Quests from a community-building pseudo-endgame (just like it was for FFXI, really) into joke filler content and AF into nothing more than gear made irrelevant by the time you are doing lv. 50 dungeons a few levels later. (Really weird how they can go so hard into two different directions. Something like Garuda exists in the game, yet AF is main scenario side-quest quality.)

In terms of battle system design (how FATEs can work the way they do), there is virtually no direct cooperation. Tanks do their tanking thing, healers keep bars up, and DDs keep damage up, all of them only concerned with their own persons when it comes to dodging marked red areas (vs. something like a "stun" order from FFXI). There is no replacement for skillchains, magic bursts, sneak attack+trick attack (having someone screw over your positional attack is less of a loss in this game as individual weapon skills are far less important), or non-linear enmity gain that requires players to be more in sync with each other. I also think the lack of meaningful relationships means people are more willing to be utter fools in public, but that could just be the game hasn't outworn its live beta-like feel yet.

Also worth noting is that FFXI (and 1.0 to a lesser extent) was a true international game where people around the globe interacted on a face to face basis every single day, influencing each other's sub-culture and etiquette (e.g. player lines for content showing up in a lawless MMO world). FFXIV: ARR, like most games, is not.

I think the community aspect is going to be complete crap. However, this is the norm of MMORPGs. Just like quest hubs with hundreds of filler quests, etc. So at worst, "this alone in a city" feeling will be accepted in apathy by FFXI players and most other MMORPG players will be oblivious to it.

If nothing else though, I really want to someone to bring up duty finder and FATEs (and AF quests) to Yoshi-P at the same time. He's spoken a lot about "community", but I don't think he understands it (he didn't play FFXI, so whatever). When people bring up Duty Finder's anti-social mechanics, he mentions FATEs as a way to connect. When people bring up FATEs solo-focused, anti-social mechanics (though what they really are is people hitting one button until everything is dead), he mentions dungeons - which are primarily done through duty finder.

EDIT: And what's interesting is that, whenever people say "this game isn't going to be F2P" they usually mention FFXI's success. Given everything I've said above, why are we applying FFXI's history to a WoW-clone game? There is nothing to say they will be received similarly, at least long after the launch of a "Final Fantasy" game. People played FFXI (and put up with a lot of shit) for a decade because of the bonds they formed (partially because of that "shit", depending on how averse you are to inconvenience).

Cmagus

This is some fucking shit. Its 1:28 AM and I can't even get in the queue.

Yeah too many people not logging out at this point. I use to be able to log in no problem and only saw queue once or twice but now its just full all the time. Good time to take a break and wait it out I guess. I was off work for two days when it came out so I accomplished alot more than most I'll be fine.

I can see this but to me it feels very weird with so many players. Like in 1.0 there were players but it kind of became a close knit community where you knew most people now its just weird. Another thing I noticed with alot of new people is that more and more I am finding rude players like all the time now especially with DF like its constant arguing and fighting in these parties it really feels like the stuff from the horrendous forums and carrying over into the game which is super disappointing. Pray you don't mess up on a fight or you'll never hear the end of it lol.

Yeah too many people not logging out at this point. I use to be able to log in no problem and only saw queue once or twice but now its just full all the time. Good time to take a break and wait it out I guess. I was off work for two days when it came out so I accomplished alot more than most I'll be fine.

Why don't they just log off people who idle for more than 10 minutes? Square cannot get anything done correctly.

This is some fucking shit. Its 1:28 AM and I can't even get in the queue.

I know your pain, couldn't create a character on the JP servers since that's where my time zone is at...now stuck on faerie, cant even login. Hoping I can transfer to a JP server once they start allowing character transfers.

Parakeetman

I know your pain, couldn't create a character on the JP servers since that's where my time zone is at...now stuck on faerie, cant even login. Hoping I can transfer to a JP server once they start allowing character transfers.

Its not any better here regardless of time. Your only hope is to pray that the "updates" scheduled for weds are going to actually do something this time.

Eusis

Well, we do have Labor Day as a potential culprit, but just to be safe they really do need to start instating completely random 5 minute "maintenance" sessions in order to wipe people off, if the effect is not significant enough then it can at least free up some slots and maybe even discourage the behavior until a patch comes out with a time out function.

Mairu

I can see this but to me it feels very weird with so many players. Like in 1.0 there were players but it kind of became a close knit community where you knew most people now its just weird. Another thing I noticed with alot of new people is that more and more I am finding rude players like all the time now especially with DF like its constant arguing and fighting in these parties it really feels like the stuff from the horrendous forums and carrying over into the game which is super disappointing. Pray you don't mess up on a fight or you'll never hear the end of it lol.
The problem with the duty finder is even if you encounter someone worthwhile, since it covers pretty much every server it's probably the last time you'll see them. I was doing dungeons with two DPS friends in my FC and we got a pretty great healer who commented on how well we played together. It's unfortunate that we can't add that healer to our friend list (since he doesn't play on the server) or work on trying to invite him into our guild (since he can't even see our guild tag nor talk to us outside of that one dungeon that we played together in)

The whole full-server nonsense would have been less of an issue had the game had the ability to invite cross-server friends into a group to do dungeons with (similar as to how in WoW you can invite real ID friends and do dungeons and stuff with them)

How are people getting the rewards from subs? I see people with the eye mount but when I try and do the 90 day thing it doesn't pay and just signs me up for the monthly payments.

Max

I am not Max
Cheapest place to get this in Japan? Not available from GMG, but that might just be because they're out of keys?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The problem with the duty finder is even if you encounter someone worthwhile, since it covers pretty much every server it's probably the last time you'll see them. I was doing dungeons with two DPS friends in my FC and we got a pretty great healer who commented on how well we played together. It's unfortunate that we can't add that healer to our friend list (since he doesn't play on the server) or work on trying to invite him into our guild (since he can't even see our guild tag nor talk to us outside of that one dungeon that we played together in)

The whole full-server nonsense would have been less of an issue had the game had the ability to invite cross-server friends into a group to do dungeons with (similar as to how in WoW you can invite real ID friends and do dungeons and stuff with them)

Wait, in duty finders you get teamed up with people from random servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom