• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: ARR - Beta Phase 4 Aug 16-19. [open beta now over]

Status
Not open for further replies.

froliq

Now I feel silly for buying the game again just for the early acces code, but if that 2 week trial for 1.0 players is true then I might aswell make a new account.

We expected this:
http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_BETA_Roadmap_EN.pdf

See where is says phase 4 1 -2 weeks?

If your logic is so much more sound, why would the game developers consider a 1-2 week open beta where character data transfers over in the first place?

You make a road map with the data you have at the time. New data changes the needs of phases in the road map. They obviously feel that the servers are up to the task and don't need a prolonged open beta phase to further test them. Game development is very fluid and plans change to reflect the current state of things.

theta11

3 days is P4 is enough for me to get 2 classes to 20. The danger I think people might run into is using up low level quests when they are the 20 cap for the sake of doing them and make things harder for them once the cap is removed.

I'm actually kind of happy with this news to be honest. One of the things I was worried about with phase 4 was everyone going into it trying to do everything as fast as possible and blow past everything before the game even launches.

Personally, I'll be skipping phase 4. A fresh start at early access with the full game and no restrictions just sounds a lot more appealing. Bit of a shame that early access isn't a couple days longer but as a free preorder bonus I'm not too worried about it. Can't wait until the 23rd.

Khrno

He was really quick to say that it's a DPS class, not a healer. So I guess only once you switch to scholar, it becomes kind of a healer? Sad times. I think that means I'll level conjurer first in order to have cure and such on arcanist.

That was already known from the leaks tho, that the only healing they do is for the pet, I hope it doesn't hurts the 15-29 dungeons too much when there's only 1 healing class.

Well at least we'll have semi-control over the pets! That pleases me. I'm not sure what he means by sometimes the pet won't listen because "can't use at that spot". Hmm.

Aeana

That was already known from the leaks tho, that the only healing they do is for the pet, I hope it doesn't hurts the 15-29 dungeons too much when there's only 1 healing class.

The reveal made it sound like they were a heal-over-time healer. I haven't been following super closely like you guys, since I think that's a really good way to get fatigued with the game.

theta11

We expected this:
http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_BETA_Roadmap_EN.pdf

See where is says phase 4 1 -2 weeks?

If your logic is so much more sound, why would the game developers consider a 1-2 week open beta where character data transfers over in the first place?

Phase 3 got extended to 5 weeks long. Given they way that Phase 3 was even if Phase 4 was 2 weeks long my expectation was that it was going to be 2 weekends. Two weeks straight just doesn't make sense business wise. In the end it doesn't matter.

Khrno

The reveal made it sound like they were a heal-over-time healer. I haven't been following super closely like you guys, since I think that's a really good way to get fatigued with the game.

Ah I see, the healer over time could be say about SCH, or the Fairy mostly.

RPGCrazied

When was the last time? It was already improved dramatically when it was playable in phase 3, over the earlier footage.

A video showcasing the PC/PS3 versions. I guess a month ago or so. Do you have any links of the PS3 version that has been updated?

Aeana

Ah I see, the healer over time could be say about SCH, or the Fairy mostly.

Well, I figured that SCH was the focused HoT healer, but I kinda expected arcanist to have basic/weak heals of some sort. Oh well. It's not a big deal. The beauty of this game is that you can equip abilities from other classes to make up for things like this.

I might still start as arcanist, just because Limsa is the only place I haven't quested in yet... I have like a week to make that decision, though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
You make a road map with the data you have at the time. New data changes the needs of phases in the road map. They obviously feel that the servers are up to the task and don't need a prolonged open beta phase to further test them. Game development is very fluid and plans change to reflect the current state of things.
I must have missed the most frequent phrase of "subject to change" in the roadmap. Thanks for pointing it out.

Khrno

Already mentioning about raising the level cap in the future.

I don't remember who was it that was arguing with me about how they wouldn't raise the cap so soon, because it would confuse new players and whatnot.

vazel

Banned
It still amazes me that all of this has to run on the PS3 as well. Especially when you consider that they're going to update the game in the future.

theta11

It still amazes me that all of this has to run on the PS3 as well. Especially when you consider that they're going to update the game in the future.

They are probably going to discontinue support for the PS3 version in a few years.

erawsd

Already mentioning about raising the level cap in the future.

I don't remember who was it that was arguing with me about how they wouldn't raise the cap so soon, because it would confuse new players and whatnot.

He's mentioned a level cap raise plenty of times.

Riposte

Yes, I recall hearing them raising the level cap well before the first expansion. I kind of hope they wait a little since there seems to be so much content for level 50.

omlet

Yoshi waving pre-paid game cards at the camera and saying they'll be available for players who don't want to pay online.

Aeana

It's really nice that they're offering this kind of information near the start so people won't have to do as much data mining and crowd sourcing.

Torquill

I love GAF. People are appropriately expressing their disappointment without turning to child-like rages of entitlement. ^_^. We win at the Internet.

Khrno

Looks like it will be very useful, hope they don't keep out endgame items from the higher raids just to keep them "secret" or people will still prefer datamining to this.

Rektash

I might be the only one but: I love the level 20 cap on phase 4. This way I can actually do a lot of different stuff without falling behindin levels and such!

Looks like it will be very useful, hope they don't keep out endgame items from the higher raids just to keep them "secret" or people will still prefer datamining to this.

He mentioned nothing will be masked, "showing ??? helps no one".

iOS version coming out well ahead of android version :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom