• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV has exceeded 10 million registered accounts worldwide

DKHF

Final Fantasy XIV has exceeded 10 million cumulative players/registered accounts worldwide (including free trial accounts).

English press release:

FINAL FANTASY XIV ONLINE EXCEEDS 10 MILLION PLAYERS WORLDWIDE
Annual Moonfire Faire Celebration Coming Soon to Acclaimed MMO

LOS ANGELES (Aug. 8, 2017) – The FINAL FANTASY® XIV community continues to expand globally, with more than 10 million cumulative players* as of today. This continued success is largely due to the title’s robust updates that consistently provide players with new content.

Today’s announcement follows the release of the most recent expansion, FINAL FANTASY XIV: Stormblood™, which expands in-game content with two new playable jobs, an increased level cap, and an entrancing storyline that takes players to previously unexplored lands. Content patches following launch also brought the inclusion of high-level raids, enhancements to player jobs, and a number of other new features.

Additionally, this milestone coincides with the release of Patch 4.06 and the start of the annual Moonfire Faire seasonal event. Players can take part in an all-new series of quests, including facing off against Ultros and his uncontrollable tentacles. Triumphant adventurers can obtain event items to ring in the celebrations, including a dyeable Faire version of a popular set of equipment.

The FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial beckons new players to join the millions of adventurers in the realm of Eorzea™. The free trial allows anyone to access all available content up to level 35, create up to eight playable characters, and experience the different playable races, classes, and jobs with no restrictions on playtime. New players who wish to experience the free trial may register here: http://sqex.to/FFXIVFreeTrial

*Cumulative player count includes free trial accounts.

Japanese press release: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201708/08139361.html

Just signed up a week or so ago. Other than some filler quests, it's a cool world to explore with some decent story.

B.K.

Yet they still can't afford servers that won't crash when 100 people are at the same spot trying to kill Ixion.

FFXIV is a solid game and I'm glad it is successful. At least 2 traditional MMO's are still thriving.

I just wish the GCD was quicker. Always been a problem for me with FFXIV.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Love the game but when you don't give your actual subscriber numbers, you know they aren't much to speak of. Servers buckle and crash when 100 people are in one zone for God's sake.

Best MMO on the market, hands down.
Legit question: how is it better than Legion? Especially hands down.

Just asking since I thought people were REALLY overselling Realm Reborn compared to WoW. And Legion is the best WoW has been in like forever. That said I don't know exactly how HW and SB improved the game.

jugann

Neo Member
Happy to be one of them! Fantastic MMO, my three friends that haven't ever played a Final Fantasy started to play this in July and are currently blasting through Stormblood. I hope they keep adding more to this already adventurous title.

Qvoth

Pretty sure active sub count is still about 450-500k though, this was from latest luckybancho survey thing

Yep, this.

Just asking since I thought people were REALLY overselling Realm Reborn compared to WoW. And Legion is the best WoW has been in like forever. That said I don't know exactly how HW and SB improved the game.

Much of it is subjective, but it's pretty hard to deny FFXIV takes the crown on story at least. Heavensward is a masterpiece and Stormblood went in a different direction yet remains staggeringly good.

OVDRobo

Good to hear. It's a really solid game and taking its history into account, nothing short of a miracle.

I don't have the time or patience for MMOs nowadays but my time with it over a year ago was entertaining and satisfying. Moreso than the two numbered entries that sandwich it, that's for sure.

Maybe one day we'll get a mainline entry with a similar tone and mechanics to XIV. After playing XII via The Zodiac Age it strikes pretty close though that's more of a combination of the tactics series and Final Fantasy XI.

Not sure if I did registered and did not bother to play the game or I did not register.

Will try the game one day. It's a free trial for a FF game.

Syf

Banned
Congrats to them! Regardless of which you prefer it's nice to see other MMOs maintain healthy communities. The fans seem very happy with Stormblood.

Robin64

Come on! Let's RETURN TO IVALICE!

With those badass male Viera, please.

Viera1.jpg

bryt

I think WoW burned me out on MMOs (I played it for 5+ years). I tried playing Heavnsward and couldn't level past level 20 before getting super bored.

Good, it's well deserved. Even though that number doesn't mean much honestly.
I need to get back to it and finish Heavensward at some point, but MMOs are so damn long, I just don't have the time.

Robin64

Is this going to be playable?

Sadly not.

The Viera was considered as the new race to be included in Heavensward. While at first fans were apprehensive at the possibility of it being a female-only race, the development team revealed that they had already drawn up concepts for male Viera. Ultimately, however, the idea was discarded in favor of the Au Ra.

Late ARR->HW->SB is honestly a top tier Final Fantasy wrapped in a great MMO experience.

eloxx

Totally this. I never thought I would love an MMO so much. Almost 700h in and still going. I just can't get enough of this world. Also the feel of the gameplay is phenomenal. Never has a game felt so good to control. Playing on PS4 Pro with Controller and Crossbar.

Wish I was young again to sink in time on an MMO.

Unless you don't have time for gaming at all, this shouldn't be an issue with FFXIV. It's very pick-up-and-play/casual friendly and a worthwhile experience even with only a few hours per week investment.

Give the free trial a shot and go with the mindset it's just a Final Fantasy (and one of the best, at that) not an MMO.

Legion continues the wow trend of "all gameplay fuck the story and stuff" also the astronomical rng loot system that nobody likes makes doing hard stuff really bad cause why would I do it if people can just be lucky and get better stuff than me anyway

Yam's

It's not. I mean I love FF14 and keep coming back to it, but WoW is objectively a better game in almost every ways.

We'll see if this cycle they finally shake the 4 years old formula a bit or not. They won't release as many dungeons during Stormblood as before because they want to add new stuff, so there's still hope for that.

Currently there's simply not enough variety at end game level. You do the same kind of stuff you did 4 years ago, only with new skins.

WoW didn't always succeeded adding new interesting things (Draenor), but at least they always try and when they hit the mark, they deliver something like Legion.

I really wish FF14's team would take some ideas from WoW to address some end game issues the game has. Areas are pretty much useless once you've finished the main story, you end up waiting in one of the cities waiting for your duty to start. There's simply not enough stuff to do once you're at max level. Sure you can level other jobs, go do some mini games, craft or gather some stuff, but that means redoing the same kind of stuff you did for your main job over and over again without actually playing your main job.

I can totally see how that kind of gameplay suits more casual gamers with short windows of game time, but with a 2nd expansion I expect them to add end game activities now.

In its current state, FF14 is for me a game better played during the end of an expansion. You can follow its story as a whole (it's stronger point), you got enough content to keep you entertained for a month and then you come back 2 years later.

duckroll

Legion continues the wow trend of "all gameplay fuck the story and stuff" also the astronomical rng loot system that nobody likes makes doing hard stuff really bad cause why would I do it if people can just be lucky and get better stuff than me anyway

Isn't that Blizzard's trend in general? Starcraft 2's add-on content after LotV, Diablo 3's additional content and refinements after RoS, Heathstone, Overwatch, etc. They have gone all in as a gameplay first, services first, company for a while now, with story and lore being developed as expanded content outside of the actual games, for fans who care.

grimmiq

WoW didn't always succeeded adding new interesting things (Draenor), but at least they always try and when they hit the mark, they deliver something like Legion.

What new things did they add in Legion? I played for several months after it launched and it was more of the same. Had 3 characters at max level and it was 3xLFR, 3xNormal PUG, 1x Guild Hard mode with Challenge carries sprinkled in. I guess Artifact grinding was new.

Fantastic milestone. I've been on a break for a few months now because I burned myself out trying to rush everything to 60 before SB. Really need to get back into it.

Syf

Banned
Isn't that Blizzard's trend in general? Starcraft 2's add-on content after LotV, Diablo 3's additional content and refinements after RoS, Heathstone, Overwatch, etc. They have gone all in as a gameplay first, services first, company for a while now, with story and lore being developed as expanded content outside of the actual games, for fans who care.
I would agree with that. You don't really play Blizzard games for their stories, not anymore. Meanwhile they excel at gameplay.

Honestly I partly agree on the there is not enough end game content on FFXIV, in wow I can log in wisp a friend and go doing world quests that are somewhat always relevant or just make a group and go do a mythic plus. XIV is real missing on something like that, the most similar thing is aquapolis which is like one of the best system that has been added but I still think it is not enough.

They need to expand the FATE system, the hunt and make new end games stuff on every zone.

What new things did they add in Legion? I played for several months after it launched and it was more of the same. Had 3 characters at max level and it was 3xLFR, 3xNormal PUG, 1x Guild Hard mode with Challenge carries sprinkled in. I guess Artifact grinding was new.
Keystone dungeons were really fun in my opinion. Exactly what was missing from older WoW even tho Vanilla will always be my fav.

Admittedly I have no idea of they had that in Draenor already.

erawsd

Yep, this.

Much of it is subjective, but it's pretty hard to deny FFXIV takes the crown on story at least. Heavensward is a masterpiece and Stormblood went in a different direction yet remains staggeringly good.

Yeah, despite all the similarities, I actually think they're different types of MMOs. FFXIV is more narrative focused and does a great job of blending traditional JRPG with MMO elements. Whereas WoW is more focused on game systems and perfecting the "theme park" experience. For me, I enjoyed playing through the MSQ in FFXIV a lot more than leveling to 110 in WoW but I'd rather play WoW regularly.

Syf

Banned
For me, I enjoyed playing through the MSQ in FFXIV a lot more than leveling to 110 in WoW but I'd rather play WoW regularly.
I think many people even WoW fans will agree with you there. WoW's leveling is mostly ancient and neglected, especially 60-80. Only starts to get good at level 85 when you hit MoP content, imo. It's one of the game's biggest weaknesses and a huge turn off for new players.

Top Bottom