• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV has exceeded 10 million registered accounts worldwide

Qvoth

How often are there sales for subscriptions? I'm coming back again regardless but a discount is nice.

if you sub for 6 months in 1 go the montly sub becomes 12.99? or was it 13.99
that's the cheapest sub available, they never do discounts for it other than when ARR is about to release with the legacy character subscription

I really enjoyed my time playing a trial of this game or maybe it was the beta, just wasn't prepared to pay the monthly fee. There is something magical about the world. Love the soundtrack too.

Kenai

The MMO that got me back into MMOs when I thought I was done. Love the world, love the music, love the characters, love the classes. Gib moar.

XI is still around. It's player based is on the decline and it's pretty different from what it used to be, but it's still the better game.

It arguably has a better story (though we will see by the time XIV has as many expansions as it does, and XIV's certainly doesn't slack on the presentation, characters or world-building) but class balance in that game is and always was a train wreck, so I can't really agree. XIV is more theme-parky but at least I can enjoy playing the class I want (and know that they care if it's undertuned at the moment). XI's a great game for what it is though.

Legit question: how is it better than Legion? Especially hands down.

Just asking since I thought people were REALLY overselling Realm Reborn compared to WoW. And Legion is the best WoW has been in like forever. That said I don't know exactly how HW and SB improved the game.

Legion (and WoW in general) has stellar gameplay, especially in raiding. But outside raiding and a few other features (namely getting more use out of your dungeons) XIV probably has it beat. Everything from genuine stories and characters for the crafters/gatherers to adding new (substantial) content patches every few months. WoW definitely starts out with more come expansion time but you'll be waiting who knows how long for stuff to do after. That's why I quit WoD.

People had a lot of fun in the Savage raiding this tier though, and we should be hearing more about the 24 man
Final Fantasy Tactics themed
raid soon.

I bloody love FFXIV, but don't sub constantly as I'm not a raider and would rather take breaks to play other titles than level up alt classes.

I'm 100% in for each new patch cycle though.

Scrawnton

Was a great game but I might be over it now. Played SB hard and banged my head against SusEx and got fully geared and they refreshed the drip feed again quickly after. Not banging my head against the endgame wall that's structured the completely same way it has been for four years.

Impressive number, but how many of these 10 million registered accounts are active players and actual subscribers? This figure as it is really doesn't tell me much.

Was a great game but I might be over it now. Played SB hard and banged my head against SusEx and got fully geared and they refreshed the drip feed again quickly after. Not banging my head against the endgame wall that's structured the completely same way it has been for four years.

Heh, my sentiments exactly. I enjoyed the game, was there from Day 1 for Stormblood, but the moment I got to the endgame I decided to tap out because I couldn't be arsed with the whole treadmill yet again. Perhaps I'll check out the next major numbered patch, which will depend on what people say about Eureka (just please don't be another Diadem...) and use it as a catch-up point to gear up for the likely Extreme version of a certain final boss fight, but other than that I think I'm done with playing this game on a regular basis. It's the fatigue of it all.

"including free trials" kinda diminishes this announcement, considering the fact that everytime I return to Gridania there is AT LEAST one gold farmer spamming in chat.

That said, I love this game, but they need to do something about ARR if they want to continue growth. My friend recently tried out the trial and found ARR to be a slog. Post ARR is even worse IMO but I didn't have the heart to tell him or he'd quit on the spot lol

Ploid 3.0

XI is still around. It's player based is on the decline and it's pretty different from what it used to be, but it's still the better game.

XI's classes and gameplay easily makes it better than FFXIV for me. I've been looking for a game that could give me the feeling of playing Beastmaster for years, also thief, red mage, dancer, and now puppetmaster after hearing how good it was.

There is not one class/job in FFXIV that I enjoyed enought that I wanted to find a game that played like it.

Atolm

It's nice and all but if you're not into crafting (I'm able to 2-star 70 on every class atm) there's not much to do. 4 bosses every 6 months is not enough... specially when they're so easy that you can kill them with random people.

And I've been waiting for more than a year to be able to buy a house. I have 230 million gil collecting dust in my pocket. Get your shit together with housing Yoshida. If I can't buy a mansion when Shirogane comes out I'll be pissed.

Also as others have pointed out the progression has been identical since launch. Both for crafting and regular classes. It gets boring.

Yam's

What new things did they add in Legion? I played for several months after it launched and it was more of the same. Had 3 characters at max level and it was 3xLFR, 3xNormal PUG, 1x Guild Hard mode with Challenge carries sprinkled in. I guess Artifact grinding was new.

World Quests for one. It helps keeping the new areas relevant during the whole expansion, something I wish FF14 would take inspiration from. Like expanding the Fates system which is underused right now as dungeons/pvp spamming will earn you more xp.

Legion also added specific class quests with exclusives followers and even a specific class mount at the end (which is quite cool, FF14 only rewards tanks with mounts and it's only a matter of spamming the same content over and over again). I mean class specific quests motivated me leveling some alts I didn't touch for years just so I could experience their stories.

Then you got mythic keys which works like Greater Rifts from Diablo 3 which is also something I'd love seeing in FF14. Not necessarily the same system, but 4 man hard content would be a welcome addition to the game. I always enjoy experiencing dungeons for the first time in FF14, but they get old real fast offering no challenge whatsoever. By doing that Blizzard has kept dungeons relevant for the whole expansion with their challenge difficulties adapting to all kind of players.

Basically my favorite class in FF14 is warrior. Yet where can I play him? 3 dungeons, 2 primals and one raid with 4 boss. Sure I can do hunts (which really needs a revamp now) or some maps which works like old Aquapolis. If you enjoy playing your max level class in FF14, you'll quickly run out of options. And that's my biggest complaint about the game. It also doesn't help that most classes are not fun until their late levels with the gameplay rework from Stormblood (like MCH which gets a useless gauge until lv 64). At least I enjoy what they did with the pvp system, so there's that, but you always play the same game mode as they didn't include any map rotation (yet).

Linkark07

Banned
"including free trials" kinda diminishes this announcement, considering the fact that everytime I return to Gridania there is AT LEAST one gold farmer spamming in chat.

That said, I love this game, but they need to do something about ARR if they want to continue growth. My friend recently tried out the trial and found ARR to be a slog. Post ARR is even worse IMO but I didn't have the heart to tell him or he'd quit on the spot lol

Same here, tried to have a friend join. He told me he couldn't stomach the early game.

They seriously need to do something like Blizzard did with Cata. ARR is a great game but it is quite tiresome to finish all of that, especially Post ARR.

My only complaint is end game. Not interested too much in crafting, and doing only dungeons get boring after a while.

Taruranto

This is kind of a non-news, accounts always keep growing, WoW probably has something like 100 millions at this point.

Active subs are another matter, and the fact apparently the game never broke 1m is quite interesting.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The quest grind for Heavensward and how on rails it feels in terms of playstyle turned me off. I don't know if Stormblood changed anything but there are no 'builds' in the game the rotation is strict as fuck with little, if any, variation.

World also feels super small (although I heard the HS zones are much bigger) and the exploration is nowhere near as rewarding as in other MMOs. Also grinding those Beast Tribe quests ugh.

It's competent MMO but not something that can hold my attention for long specially when theres a monthly fee.

How often are there sales for subscriptions? I'm coming back again regardless but a discount is nice.
Never. The closest you'll get to a discount is buying in bulk or being one of the 6 people that subbed to 1.0 when they started charging for it again.

and bragging about registered accounts feels a lot less impressive when you remember that they ban tens of thousands of them weekly for RMT

It's not. I mean I love FF14 and keep coming back to it, but WoW is objectively a better game in almost every ways.

You're probably going to want to elaborate on that because most of the reasons why I generally prefer one video game over the other are entirely subjective.

Yam's

You're probably going to want to elaborate on that because most of the reasons why I generally prefer one video game over the other are entirely subjective.

You're right. I should have said "in my opinion" WoW is a better game in almost every ways.

Gator86

FFXIV has eaten more of my time than any other game this year and I'm now eying Horizon and BotW at the top of my GOTY list. It's terrific and the best Final Fantasy-related thing from since 2001, by a large margin.

World Quests for one. It helps keeping the new areas relevant during the whole expansion, something I wish FF14 would take inspiration from. Like expanding the Fates system which is underused right now as dungeons/pvp spamming will earn you more xp.

Legion also added specific class quests with exclusives followers and even a specific class mount at the end (which is quite cool, FF14 only rewards tanks with mounts and it's only a matter of spamming the same content over and over again). I mean class specific quests motivated me leveling some alts I didn't touch for years just so I could experience their stories.

Then you got mythic keys which works like Greater Rifts from Diablo 3 which is also something I'd love seeing in FF14. Not necessarily the same system, but 4 man hard content would be a welcome addition to the game. I always enjoy experiencing dungeons for the first time in FF14, but they get old real fast offering no challenge whatsoever. By doing that Blizzard has kept dungeons relevant for the whole expansion with their challenge difficulties adapting to all kind of players.

Basically my favorite class in FF14 is warrior. Yet where can I play him? 3 dungeons, 2 primals and one raid with 4 boss. Sure I can do hunts (which really needs a revamp now) or some maps which works like old Aquapolis. If you enjoy playing your max level class in FF14, you'll quickly run out of options. And that's my biggest complaint about the game. It also doesn't help that most classes are not fun until their late levels with the gameplay rework from Stormblood (like MCH which gets a useless gauge until lv 64). At least I enjoy what they did with the pvp system, so there's that, but you always play the same game mode as they didn't include any map rotation (yet).

This is good post, I would quit WoW totally if XIV had all of these things.

FinKL

Loved my time with this at launch. Unfortunately, couldn't keep up with the required time to grind per week. Raiding was my favorite part, shooting the shit with 7 others

Would love to properly try this but eh... subsriptions. I'd have easily chosen this over Black Desert but the monthly price is more than a straight buy of BD.

I beat ARR on PS3 but never planned to sub since the game was only a fiver at the time.

IvorB

Honestly I partly agree on the there is not enough end game content on FFXIV, in wow I can log in wisp a friend and go doing world quests that are somewhat always relevant or just make a group and go do a mythic plus. XIV is real missing on something like that, the most similar thing is aquapolis which is like one of the best system that has been added but I still think it is not enough.

They need to expand the FATE system, the hunt and make new end games stuff on every zone.

100% agree with this. They have not added compelling new open world content for end game in ages. Sometimes it's just literally sitting there waiting for instances and the zones are dead. This is my number 1 gripe with the game.

Mariip

10million players? We should celebrate that with a free weekend, amrite?
bought heavensward last free weekend i'm dying to continue the msq but i can't afford the subs ;-;

Rncewind

While i like it as a FF Game (i would say the best one tbh. in the last years) im not really found of it as an mmorpg. I played mainly FFXI and WoW and its really not like this mmos (no one really is) and is more like the current wow where you grind the hamster wheel too much for my taste. Also what i really resent is that a lot of rpg features are not present in ffxiv which i liked in other games (to give an example, needed to go to a specific anvil to craft a specific item in the world out there).

not saying that they should change the game or anything, people in my FC seem to be happy with it. Im glad its doing well, yoshi_p is a very nice and competetive game director.

maybe im missing something here as i dont play wow, but doesnt FF14 do the same thing? each class/job has their own quest-line that you unlock as you level (doesnt have the mounts, which would be cool but i dont think they were your main point here).

maybe im missing something here as i dont play wow, but doesnt FF14 do the same thing? each class/job has their own quest-line that you unlock as you level (doesnt have the mounts, which would be cool but i dont think they were your main point here).

Yeah, every class has their own quest line, some of which (Dark Knight from 50-60 was awesome in my opinion) are really good. I think some healer gets a mount during a class quest too, although i don't remember which one and it's exception to the rule. I also don't play WoW so I'm not sure where the comparison falls apart but I really enjoy the class quests stories in FFXIV.

ch4fx_

Absolutely love this game. I picked this up on a whim & haven't quit playing it. "Catching up" kinda sucks, but I'm looking forward to finally reaching the end game & seeing what an actual MMO has to offer.

I just created 3 accouts last month because i couldnt figure out how to play the trial on multiple computers.

You're welcome square

I'm apart of this. My friends finally convinced me to buy it and play and I actually love it. It's been years since I've played an MMO and I'm super impressed that it was square that brought me back. It's fun, has lots to do, and it constantly gets better all the time. Congrats square

grimmiq

Yeah, every class has their own quest line, some of which (Dark Knight from 50-60 was awesome in my opinion) are really good. I think some healer gets a mount during a class quest too, although i don't remember which one and it's exception to the rule. I also don't play WoW so I'm not sure where the comparison falls apart but I really enjoy the class quests stories in FFXIV.

CNJ/WHM gets a mount pretty early, all tanks have access to 2, but require a lot of dungeon grinding, I think 300 or 500 each.

I disagree with the World Quests being interesting, to me they were that chore I had to do to unlock my daily cache.

Other than that, I agree, harder 4 person content would be great, and while I understand that they delay hard modes so that they can use it as gapfiller ilvl between raid tiers, it would be nice to have more than 3 dungeons to run at cap. Though you do now have the Savage version of Omega 1-4 and hopefully we'll get the 1st raid from Return to Ivalice soon.

Overall though, I prefer FFXIV's content delivery with small drips every 1-2 months rather than a huge content drop for you to grind on for the next 6-7 months.

Arkeband

Banned
The quest grind for Heavensward and how on rails it feels in terms of playstyle turned me off. I don't know if Stormblood changed anything but there are no 'builds' in the game the rotation is strict as fuck with little, if any, variation.

World also feels super small (although I heard the HS zones are much bigger) and the exploration is nowhere near as rewarding as in other MMOs. Also grinding those Beast Tribe quests ugh.

It's competent MMO but not something that can hold my attention for long specially when theres a monthly fee.

SB is also very on-rails and there have never been builds, unfortunately. Blame the dummies who heard the phrase "illusion of choice" and shout down anyone they hear asking for talent specs and ways to differentiate ourselves.

The game excels in boss fights and story, but the quest system is beyond archaic and there are numerous areas where it's a good half decade or more behind its peers. The most vocal proponents of FFXIV are people who have literally no experience with any other MMO and just talk it up because they need someone to play with (especially during patch lulls) or they are treating their preferred current MMO as if it were a sports team. And I say this as a current subscriber and long time player of FFXIV.

WoW gives players way more content to do at any given point in time - you'll hit a wall very quickly in FFXIV where you have two choices, either bang your head against four raid bosses or level a new class, except to level those classes there are obvious activities that give way more exp than any other during specific level brackets so you don't actually have much choice even in that if you want to level in a reasonable timeframe.

I wonder how many are subscribers.

Like...When SB released or where it usually settles at? I could believe at SB release it was at 2.5-3.5 million subscribers. Kind of around what it seemed to be at with HW.

But I would take a good bet that the active subscribers before SB and where it will be in a month will be between 1-2 active subscribers.

There are a ton of free trial accounts. Millions.

Love the game but when you don't give your actual subscriber numbers, you know they aren't much to speak of. Servers buckle and crash when 100 people are in one zone for God's sake.

I don't think servers buckling at a FATE is indicative of active subscriber count, but yes, stating the obvious, ten million is not the active subscriber number. Nowhere close.

Legit question: how is it better than Legion? Especially hands down.

Just asking since I thought people were REALLY overselling Realm Reborn compared to WoW. And Legion is the best WoW has been in like forever. That said I don't know exactly how HW and SB improved the game.

HW added Ishgard areas and flying mounts. SB added Ala Mhigo and Doma areas and swimming. IMHO, besides the trials/Primals, HW is much better than SB.

Fularu

Banned
I see Square Enix keeps giving that useless, meaningless metric.

Edit for the above poster : there's not a single chance FFXIV is at even a million subscribers, let alone 2,5 to 3,5 millions

Arkeband

Banned
Like...When SB released or where it usually settles at? I could believe at SB release it was at 2.5-3.5 million subscribers. Kind of around what it seemed to be at with HW.

But I would take a good bet that the active subscribers before SB and where it will be in a month will be between 1-2 active subscribers.

There are a ton of free trial accounts. Millions.

I don't think servers buckling at a FATE is indicative of active subscriber count, but yes, stating the obvious, ten million is not the active subscriber number. Nowhere close.

HW added Ishgard areas and flying mounts. SB added Ala Mhigo and Doma areas and swimming. IMHO, besides the trials/Primals, HW is much better than SB.

There has been extensive research into active account numbers and the best estimates had it peaking at 700 or 800k or so back in ARR and it's never exceeded that. It usually fluctuates between 300-600 between patches. It has never gone above one million to anyone's knowledge.

mcw

Best MMO on the market, hands down.

Agreed. No other MMO has held my interest for as long as this one.

There's some talk about FF14 vs WoW in this thread-- for me, it comes down to: WoW is very strong, but I prefer the aesthetic of FF, not to mention I can play FF14 on a console whereas WoW is not available on any console.

Whompa02

Does an account like mine count? I signed up, and then uninstalled the game and stopped my subscription after about a week.

Fularu

Banned
Does an account like mine count? I signed up, and then uninstalled the game and stopped my subscription after about a week.
Yes

It's registered accounts, it's totally meaningless

In 2013 WoW had over 100 million registered accounts (to give perspective)

It's nice and all but if you're not into crafting (I'm able to 2-star 70 on every class atm) there's not much to do. 4 bosses every 6 months is not enough... specially when they're so easy that you can kill them with random people.

And I've been waiting for more than a year to be able to buy a house. I have 230 million gil collecting dust in my pocket. Get your shit together with housing Yoshida. If I can't buy a mansion when Shirogane comes out I'll be pissed.

Also as others have pointed out the progression has been identical since launch. Both for crafting and regular classes. It gets boring.

As a Lvl24 New player, yeah I would have to agree. Crafting looking like a daunting task, and I really only care about the Main Quest story. Side stories really sucked prior to Lvl19.

SB is also very on-rails and there have never been builds, unfortunately. Blame the dummies who heard the phrase "illusion of choice" and shout down anyone they hear asking for talent specs and ways to differentiate ourselves.

The game excels in boss fights and story, but the quest system is beyond archaic and there are numerous areas where it's a good half decade or more behind its peers. The most vocal proponents of FFXIV are people who have literally no experience with any other MMO and just talk it up because they need someone to play with (especially during patch lulls) or they are treating their preferred current MMO as if it were a sports team. And I say this as a current subscriber and long time player of FFXIV.

WoW gives players way more content to do at any given point in time - you'll hit a wall very quickly in FFXIV where you have two choices, either bang your head against four raid bosses or level a new class, except to level those classes there are obvious activities that give way more exp than any other during specific level brackets so you don't actually have much choice even in that if you want to level in a reasonable timeframe.

Completely agree on this and I've seen it happen far too often. I would argue even the story "borrows" heavily from previous FFs and popular culture terms using their storylines and passing it off as their own. (Trail by combat, lifestream, etc.)

I am an active subscriber (locked in for six months right now) and like the game a lot but it is a game that is very often overhyped. (Ugh...I hate using that word)

The sidequests are some of the worst I've played in any game and are super dull and boring. I did three picking up rocks quests in SB. (Literally) That's three too many.

I see Square Enix keeps giving that useless, meaningless metric.

Edit for the above poster : there's not a single chance FFXIV is at even a million subscribers, let alone 2,5 to 3,5 millions

There has been extensive research into active account numbers and the best estimates had it peaking at 700 or 800k or so back in ARR and it's never exceeded that. It usually fluctuates between 300-600 between patches. It has never gone above one million to anyone's knowledge.

My mistake. Listening to some XIV fans will overinflate what you believe the subscriber base to be. Thanks for the corrections.

If you get all the way up to the start screen you registered. So yes.

Yam's

I was only answering to someone's question as what Legion added that was new to WoW. Obviously FF14 had job exclusive quests since the beginning.

Total accounts is kind of a meaningless stat, especially with the F2P trial.

Yeah. I count for 4 accounts as I recruited myself for the Twintania mount and I know a lot of people who did it too. Subscribers numbers would be really interesting, but I doubt we'll ever know them.

Top Bottom