• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV has exceeded 10 million registered accounts worldwide

Rising_Hei

You'll never get subscribers numbers from SE because they would (wrongly so) look pathetic to the public.

You can blame WoW for that

They don't share it because they don't want to show comparisions from previous months and how the game is actually faring for real. The data they give is not interesting to me, just the only propaganda they can give to manipulate their shareholders.

I bet it was pretty healthy on its first year and that it has been in declive since. People don't like transparency when there are things to hide... and their "follow the carrot" strategies to keep players attached have been getting worse over time. My opinion has always been that this only survives and gets praises because of the current state of the MMO market.

Fularu

Banned
It isn't a milestone according to your arbitrary dogma, sure. The actual sub is probably closer to 450k, and to my knowledge the game has always hovered around that count outside of early expansion launches. Any PR is going to be fluffed, but some past p2p mmos would have loved to boast they had 10m registered accounts free trial or not. I guarantee WoW has done similar PR.

The one time Blizzard used the registered account PR, they were laughed out the door for it (100 million registered users at the end of 2013) for very obvious (and good) reasons.

Blizzard WoW PR messages usually revolve around :

- MAU numbers
- Number of boxed copies sold (retail and digital) in the first 24 hours and then the first month
- WoW earnings (in-game purchases mostly)

Garlador

They don't share it because they don't want to show comparisions from previous months and how the game is actually faring for real. The data they give is not interesting to me, just the only propaganda they can give to manipulate their shareholders.

I bet it was pretty healthy on its first year and that it has been in declive since. People don't like transparency when there are things to hide... and their "follow the carrot" strategies to keep players attached have been getting worse over time. My opinion has always been that this only survives and gets praises because of the current state of the MMO market.
And I'd say you'd be wrong. FF14 succeeds on its own merits and gives players such as myself, who once hated MMO style games, enough content, character, and variety to keep playing for the long-haul. I'm in love with the story, lore, and world, and they've kept a steady stream of satisfying content coming.

It's a great game all on its own, and it deserves the success it has received.

neoemonk

10 million registered weebs.

image.php

Top Bottom