• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

You can buy 115 gear from the vendor at Falcon's Nest. You'll get more stuff as you level up and do dungeons and run into more vendors in towns as you progress the MSQ.

If you do Palace of the Dead and get your Aetherpool Arms and Armor to +30 you can trade in those points for a i235 weapon of your choice (whatever job you are at the time will determine what weapon you get) for use at level 60.

For Level 60 gear there's AF i200 armor (Tavern guy in Ishgard, you use Centurio Seals from the clan hunts to buy these.

Lore tomestone armor which is i230. Scripture tomestone armor which is i260.

If you do PvP there's Garo armor you can get that's i235.

In terms of time required to get doing PvP is probably fastest for the Garo gear I think.

Do the frontlines roulette once a day and by the time you hit 60 you will probably be able to buy some of the Garo gear pieces immediately.

Thanks!

Squishy3

Don't worry about armor in 2.x stuff, MSQ tosses you all i110 stuff towards the end and you'll get HQ upgrades a good while into Heavensward, so you don't really have much gearing to worry about until you start to reach the end.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So what's the recommended/optimal path when it comes to higher i-level gear? I've got a lvl 90 weapon and armor at the moment and I'm not sure what I should be working towards while I do MSQ missions.

If you have Heavensward access you can buy 115 gear in the main town. If you don't, you could have a friend buy it and trade it to you (probable well above NPC price on AH).

If you have a lot of Poetic Tomstones, you can buy 120 Ironworks gear in Mor Dona, and upgrade that gear to 130.

You should also think about doing Crystal Tower raids. There's gear to be had there as well, and being older content, you probably won't have many people to lot against.

MogCakes

can someone posture a guess as to how a SMN 15 ilvls below a DRG doing optimal rotation on a dungeon boss can still out-DPS them by a fair margin? Is it down to latency? This is the first time I've encountered a random with lower gear that can out-DPS me so consistently.

EDIT: unless of course they're using a 3rd party program to hit skills as soon as they pop, increasing their APM way above what someone could accomplish manually. I'm going to scour my combat logs to find if this is the case.

can someone posture a guess as to how a SMN 15 ilvls below a DRG doing optimal rotation on a dungeon boss can still out-DPS them by a fair margin? Is it down to latency? This is the first time I've encountered a random with lower gear that can out-DPS me so consistently.

EDIT: unless of course they're using a 3rd party program to hit skills as soon as they pop, increasing their APM way above what someone could accomplish manually. I'm going to scour my combat logs to find if this is the case.

Foes?

iammeiam

Without iLevels and actual numbers this is kind of an impossible question, but leaping to cheating is kind of an odd stretch. The game's infinity GCD means riding it isn't super hard, most of the fastest jobs cap out at like 40-something CPM which is easy to do manual, and SMN is a low casts-per-minute job with the bulk of their damage usually coming from DoTs, Pets, and stuff with a cool down. Dungeon bosses are also relatively short so they could just be venting all their MP into Ruin 3. There's the BLM early-cast-completion exploit that's come up in the past, but it doesn't directly port to SMN in a way that makes sense.

A 15 iLevel gap isn't nothing, but Dragoon itemization this tier has been pretty bad, and looking at the rankings over the course of an entire raid tier, Summoners generally have an edge on dragoon.

So, like, they could theoretically be cheating, but it could also be that they just know their job pretty well. Running across somebody really on-the-ball in DF is a comparatively rare event, but it can happen and is a cause for celebration.

Hard to say without seeing the gear on both characters and knowing what fight it is.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Are you sure the parse was cut off correctly? If it had carryovers from any previous trash pull it wouldn't be surprising for a SMN to pull ahead.

B.K.

I just now found out that I don't automatically get the money from marketboard sales. I didn't know it goes to my retainer and I have to withdraw it. I had over 500k sitting around on my first retainer alone.

Tried Zurvan EX.

Didn't skip Soar.

Yeah its sad that so many 5 DPS 1 tank parties don't manage to skip it.

Almost as bad as the 5 DPS 1 healer Thordan parties that completely ignore mechs. >.>

Fortunately most ppl seem to have the hang of Soar by now. I think the biggest issue is that the original video and text guides for the fight had the completely wrong diagrams for the safe spots.

Doing this will get you killed for bottom pattern:

zvLiyxS.jpg

And yet this chart was posted all over reddit and other places during the first month of the patch.

Now tethers on the other hand...

Yeah its sad that so many 5 DPS 1 tank parties don't manage to skip it.

Almost as bad as the 5 DPS 1 healer Thordan parties that completely ignore mechs. >.>

Fortunately most ppl seem to have the hang of Soar by now. I think the biggest issue is that the original video and text guides for the fight had the completely wrong diagrams for the safe spots.

Doing this will get you killed for bottom pattern:

zvLiyxS.jpg

And yet this chart was posted all over reddit and other places during the first month of the patch.

Now tethers on the other hand...

When we got to tethers someone would always die leaving us unable to soak all of the meteors.

In the end it was still good experience.

B.K.

I love quick synthesis. It's too bad it doesn't give full experience, but it's nice to use it to make a lot of base materials while you browse the internet or watch TV.

aceface

Tried Zurvan EX.

Didn't skip Soar.

I did something like 15 Zurvan ex clears and only skipped soar on maybe the last 5. It's not a big deal, the mechanic is not especially difficult. As SCH usually I would deploy an Adlo right before it and that would cover for a lot of mistakes.

Also one person without a color is ok on tethers, just have them stand out. The AOE damage from one meteor hitting is easy to heal through.

iammeiam

I did something like 15 Zurvan ex clears and only skipped soar on maybe the last 5. It's not a big deal, the mechanic is not especially difficult. As SCH usually I would deploy an Adlo right before it and that would cover for a lot of mistakes.

Also one person without a color is ok on tethers, just have them stand out. The AOE damage from one meteor hitting is easy to heal through.

Two people without a color is ok because you can just sacrifice Apollo to the blood-god, too.

I know Soar isn't a big deal.

Just cashing in on the meme now that I've tried it.

I love quick synthesis. It's too bad it doesn't give full experience, but it's nice to use it to make a lot of base materials while you browse the internet or watch TV.

Quick synthesis is most useful if you use an experience up manual and then synthesize a lot of something with only one or two materials. Pretty good way of gaining levels with almost no effort.

Luigi87

Got Titan EX and Ifrit EX out of the way tonight thanks to GAF FC!

Also someone ordered Dominos Pizza using my email address while we were doing Titan EX... The bummer is they're in the US and I'm in Canada, so I'm definitely not getting a slice D=

Edit: Also the Cognitome is hilarious looking for being a book with a face. I hope stronger SCH books are interesting like this one, lol

Edzi

Also someone ordered Dominos Pizza using my email address while we were doing Titan EX... The bummer is they're in the US and I'm in Canada, so I'm definitely not getting a slice D=

Edit: Also the Cognitome is hilarious looking for being a book with a face. I hope stronger SCH books are interesting like this one, lol

I'm queuing up for Titan EX as we speak. The hard/extreme versions of the primals have been pretty fun so far.

Luigi87

I'm queuing up for Titan EX as we speak. The hard/extreme versions of the primals have been pretty fun so far.

They are fun, but yeah I opted to run EX with GAF as
1. They were offering, lol
2. DF was never gonna pop for me (over an hour queued and nothing). Basically couldn't ever find a Tank, let alone two.

duckroll

Oh that was you! *waves*

Was fun! :D

Edzi

Been doing Titan EX for like 2 hours now synced. Holy shit this is hard.

EDIT: yeah, I don't think this is happening synced. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the fight, but every party eventually has impatient people drop after a wipe or two, and first timers keep joining who require a full explanation and lead to more wipes until they get used to it. Might just have to do it unsynced to get it over with.

EDIT2: Steamrolled him unsynced. Man, despite all the wipes and party members ditching over an over again, that was one of the best moments so far with the game. I imagine this is how it felt around the beginning of the games life, right? I even met two really cool people who stuck it out the entire time until we decided to just go at it unsynced, and one of them was even on the same server so I was able to add them to my friends list. Good times.

Thorgal

Been doing Titan EX for like 2 hours now synced. Holy shit this is hard.

EDIT: yeah, I don't think this is happening synced. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the fight, but every party eventually has impatient people drop after a wipe or two, and first timers keep joining who require a full explanation and lead to more wipes until they get used to it. Might just have to do it unsynced to get it over with.

EDIT2: Steamrolled him unsynced. Man, despite all the wipes and party members ditching over an over again, that was one of the best moments so far with the game. I imagine this is how it felt around the beginning of the games life, right? I even met two really cool people who stuck it out the entire time until we decided to just go at it unsynced, and one of them was even on the same server so I was able to add them to my friends list. Good times.

now imagine how hard it was for us EU players playing on NA servers and having 300 + ping :p

eliza0224

I just now found out that I don't automatically get the money from marketboard sales. I didn't know it goes to my retainer and I have to withdraw it. I had over 500k sitting around on my first retainer alone.
Lol I gotta get my money too 😂😂 thanks

aceface

Are Ixal quests and Leves the fastest way to level crafters or is there something else I'm missing?

Leves are, yeah. You can search online to see the best leves to do for each set of levels on each class. For 1-50 Usually it takes like 11-15 HQ items to raise 5 levels. Don't bother doing Ixal quests, they don't give enough exp for the amount of work they are IMO. You should do your daily Grand Company turn-in though and make sure you turn in an HQ item.

For 50-60 definitely do moogle quests, they give tons of exp for hardly any work.

Supposedly the devs are working on a thing that will allow us to take our squadron members out

Yeah but I want my combat butler to fight for me.

Unless they are going to let us customize armor choice, somehow I don't see that happening though.

If they don't make mention of it in one of the upcoming live letters I assume the squadron dungeon thing is something that will probably be coming in 4.1/2/etc.

Luigi87

Oh that was you! *waves*

Was fun! :D
Yeah, lol

Now I can comfortably resume the story and unlock Shiva soonish hopefully.

... After getting THM to 26 so I can have Swiftcast, because it is embarrassing to be a healer who can't insta-res... Or even instantly resummon my fairy x_x

duckroll

Finished with 2.5 earlier today. Gonna work on 2.55 through the coming week. Gonna get into HW while I can, and play as much as possible before Persona 5 arrives. It might take a while, since I'm getting it shipped from Amazon internationally. Lol.

Keeper of the Lake is the bestest fucking dungeon in the game so far. I was really impressed by it, and the boss mechanics. Would love to see more story dungeons and boss fights like this. <3

Oh the other hand, the Ascians suck. Their entire story is stupid. Every time they appear in the cutscenes it feels like Kingdom Hearts Lite. The 2.5 end boss fight was LOLZDUMB. I'm surprised his name wasn't Xafhategbf or something.

Yeah, lol

Now I can comfortably resume the story and unlock Shiva soonish hopefully.

... After getting THM to 26 so I can have Swiftcast, because it is embarrassing to be a healer who can't insta-res... Or even instantly resummon my fairy x_x

Hurry up and unlock more stuff so we can do more stuff together with the FC on weekends! Do you think you can unlock Crystal Tower by next weekend? I wanna start doing that. Wouldn't mind doing all the Extreme Primals you missed out on again too.

Robin64

They really need to add the earlier tiers of Alexander to a Roulette of some kind. Even as DPS I have never had a problem queuing for anything in the entire game, because people have reasons to run them again. But I'm a little behind on Alexander, and over the past few weeks I've made it to Arm of the Son. But damn, I've been in the queue for this for over 100 minutes now. I've seen hit 2 tanks, 2 healers, and 3 dps even, but then nothing. Infuriating.

Squishy3

They really need to add the earlier tiers of Alexander to a Roulette of some kind. Even as DPS I have never had a problem queuing for anything in the entire game, because people have reasons to run them again. But I'm a little behind on Alexander, and over the past few weeks I've made it to Arm of the Son. But damn, I've been in the queue for this for over 100 minutes now. I've seen hit 2 tanks, 2 healers, and 3 dps even, but then nothing. Infuriating.
Yeah, Alexander roulette absolutely needs to be a thing. I was also thinking when they remove the weekly lockout on the stuff they should switch it so that the pieces just drop in their respective floors and you get like "Incomplete Manifestos" or something to trade for the Prototype gear in case you still don't get drops.

As it is now when removing the weekly lockout it just makes getting the prototype Alexander stuff even harder to get because everyone rolls need on all the tokens regardless of if they're actually going for the gear/glamour.

Dead content dies unless you advertise pf bonus in the PF.

It would be nice. I just started doing it and had a hell of a time getting into A1. Aside from that, though, I've gotten into the rest of Gordias and the first few raids of Midas without much issue.

That first A1 queue took like an hour and half to pop as a WHM.

I need Gil, but I wouldn't be able to keep my sanity trying to grind gathering/crafting classes.

It might take a while, but running potd for potsherds to get grade v materia isn't a bad way to get gil.

I need Gil, but I wouldn't be able to keep my sanity trying to grind gathering/crafting classes.
Don't know how much these are worth on your server but you can run T9/T13 for the chest aetherstones and music. That's how I made most of my gil before I started crafting. They were worth ~1m each at the time, but this was a few patches ago and I also play on a smaller server. Worth checking on though. T9 and T13 also drop music, as does T12. The T12 music is still fairly rare on my server.

I find that aside from glamours there's really nothing to spend money on, and with 3.5 especially there's nothing to spend it on since they only added a single crafted glam and it's pretty ugly. What do you need gil for? Theres almost always an alternative to spending gil to get what you need.

Sandfox

Don't know how much these are worth on your server but you can run T9/T13 for the chest aetherstones and music. That's how I made most of my gil before I started crafting. They were worth ~1m each at the time, but this was a few patches ago and I also play on a smaller server. Worth checking on though. T9 and T13 also drop music, as does T12. The T12 music is still fairly rare on my server.

I find that aside from glamours there's really nothing to spend money on, and with 3.5 especially there's nothing to spend it on since they only added a single crafted glam and it's pretty ugly. What do you need gil for? Theres almost always an alternative to spending gil to get what you need.

Glamours basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom