• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PoTD trade in, whats going to happen if i swap in 30/30 and im above that level and am I going to be rubbish in the 60+ floors with 0 wep and armour stats?

Squishy3

The PoTD trade in, whats going to happen if i swap in 30/30 and im above that level and am I going to be rubbish in the 60+ floors with 0 wep and armour stats?
it'll subtract 30 from your current aetherpool ratings, so say you're at 60/60 now you'd be at 30/30 after getting a padjali weapon. do make sure you're on the job you want the weapon for when you trade in as well.

and then kinna weapon requires a padjali weapon and subtracts 60/60 from your current rating

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm going to lie down now because watching 90 mins of non-stop cutscenes was a bit much. Zzzzzzz.
Tell me duckroll how did you feel about that ending cutscene? I remember it being a pretty good way to close off A Real Reborn and the wait that followed for the release of Heavensward was pretty agonizing because I was dying to know more since by that point I had grown pretty attached to the characters.

I'm going to lie down now because watching 90 mins of non-stop cutscenes was a bit much. Zzzzzzz.

Should have laid down while they played dude haha.

What did you make of it all?

it'll subtract 30 from your current aetherpool ratings, so say you're at 60/60 now you'd be at 30/30 after getting a padjali weapon. do make sure you're on the job you want the weapon for when you trade in as well.

and then kinna weapon requires a padjali weapon and subtracts 60/60 from your current rating

Ah ok, Ive honeslty no idea how the + X +X stat effects you in PoTD so I didnt want to get a weapon then become weak as hell in my PoTD runs.
Im up to 70-80 on my NIN and godamn there is a alot of shit to press as a NIN, Im glad reddit had a guide lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But you love cutscenes duckroll.

LOOOOOOOOOOVE

It's the way the game was meant to be played.

Squishy3

Should have laid down while they played dude haha.

What did you make of it all?

Ah ok, Ive honeslty no idea how the + X +X stat effects you in PoTD so I didnt want to get a weapon then become weak as hell in my PoTD runs.
Im up to 70-80 on my NIN and godamn there is a alot of shit to press as a NIN, Im glad reddit had a guide lol
Yeah, it'd make you fairly weak in POTD (iirc 30/30's still pretty good for starting from 50 and you get silver chests out the wazoo on 50+ anyway) so if you're 60/60 right now or something you should be fine

but if you just hit 30/30 i'd hang onto it for now until you finish your current set of 100

Yeah, it'd make you fairly weak in POTD (iirc 30/30's still pretty good for starting from 50 and you get silver chests out the wazoo on 50+ anyway) so if you're 60/60 right now or something you should be fine

but if you just hit 30/30 i'd hang onto it for now until you finish your current set of 100

Ah ok cool, Ill just run it till im 60 in one of em then as I dont actually need the weapon now anyways as im only 55 on my WAR.

Sorian

Banned

Tell me duckroll how did you feel about that ending cutscene? I remember it being a pretty good way to close off A Real Reborn and the wait that followed for the release of Heavensward was pretty agonizing because I was dying to know more since by that point I had grown pretty attached to the characters.

Wonder if they will be going the same route with the cap off tonight. I, for one, welcome a gigantic cutscene.

Haly

2jkZ52n.jpg

#roadto50

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Wonder if they will be going the same route with the cap off tonight. I, for one, welcome a gigantic cutscene.
I don't know what to expect at this point to be honest but I will say that enjoyment wise Heavenward started off great in the story but everything else has been pretty meh for me. A Realm Reborn started off pretty meh too but it ended on a high note so I very much doubt Heavenward is going to be able to beat A Real Reborn's ending in that regard.

Sorian

Banned
I don't know what to expect at this point to be honest but I will say that enjoyment wise Heavenward started off great in the story but everything else has been pretty meh for me. A Realm Reborn started off pretty meh too but it ended on a high note so I very much doubt Heavenward is going to be able to beat A Real Reborn's ending in that regard.

I didn't care much for ishgard so the big hype of finally getting to go there was lost on me. I expected a city full of shithead elves and I got exactly what I expected.

If we see the cocoon in the sky hatch tonight, I'll be sufficiently pleased

Haly

Just yesterday I decided I might be willing to put in the time to level up my Dragoon after I hit 60 on my Warrior. Can't even imagine doing it for more than 2, maybe 3, characters.

I feel I'm one of those rare people who enjoy leveling more than the endgame grind.

Edzi

I feel I'm one of those rare people who enjoy leveling more than the endgame grind.

I'm not going to totally rule it out for myself, since if the community keeps being fun to hang out with I can see myself playing this for a while.

Valor

I didn't care much for ishgard so the big hype of finally getting to go there was lost on me. I expected a city full of shithead elves and I got exactly what I expected.

If we see the cocoon in the sky hatch tonight, I'll be sufficiently pleased
I feel there's only one way for that story to go. I would be surprised if we didn't get that, really.
Leveling is actually rather enjoyable for me. I like learning different classes, at least on a basic level. You never know when you'll find a class that just really clicks with you, like my current love affair with monk.

I'm not going to totally rule it out for myself, since if the community keeps being fun to hang out with I can see myself playing this for a while.
I was kind of similar, where I knew i wanted to level things up but i didn't see myself ever touching healing or casting classes. Now I've been sitting here with all 60's since like... maybe six months after HW's launch. Looking forward to it again to 70.

Bowlie

Banned
I took a small break from FFXIV to play Nier: Automata (and because the relic grind burned me out a little) but I'm excited for the next patch!

I hope for a long cutscene too.

The 2.55 ending is rather exciting, though its impact is lessened by
not going through with the shakeup in Uldah's government and Nanamo's proposed transfer of power. The Ishgard plot in HW ended up stronger because they actually did go through with the change in government/status quo there. Ultimately what I like 2.55 best for at this point is the welcome shake-up of the Scions it caused.
I hope Stormblood will pick up on some of the threads relating to Raubahn's character that were dealt with, since he's in the key visual and all.

Haly

I cant even work out how the hell you get enough XP if you dont have the MSQ on the second run through.

Palace of the Dead.

I think I did 30-60 almost exclusively through POTD on my AST. Just the occasional queue to alleviate the boredom or some moogle quests to unlock the dailies.

I look forward to 50-70 on RDM via POTD as well.

Arkeband

Banned
so the FFXIVCensus guy posted on Reddit that there was 3 million active players

and then I killed the thread by proving his methodology was wrong

Arkeband, FF thread negative nancy, strikes again!

Haly

ded game confirmed

He definitely got it wrong, last unofficial census had like 400k active players lol

Thorgal

The 2.55 ending is rather exciting, though its impact is lessened by
not going through with the shakeup in Uldah's government and Nanamo's proposed transfer of power. The Ishgard plot in HW ended up stronger because they actually did go through with the change in government/status quo there. Ultimately what I like 2.55 best for at this point is the welcome shake-up of the Scions it caused.
I hope Stormblood will pick up on some of the threads relating to Raubahn's character that were dealt with, since he's in the key visual and all.

Still Sour we won't have
a Raubahn vs Ilberd round 2 .
Unless we get to beat up Illberd's corpse if it gets possessed or some other hullabaloo :)

iammeiam

FFXIVCensus is this weird intersection of good intentions and terrible approach. Claiming to have any idea of activity based on the presence of a minion from a year-old patch was silly. Constantly talking about "active players" when the only things you measure are character-based is silly. Proclaiming that a non-WoW MMO somehow has 3 million active subscribers and wouldn't be bragging about this at literally every opportunity, based on an activity metric you just decided to start using and hadn't really tested the validity of, is silly. They mean well, but everything sourcing them needs to be taken with gigantic chunks of rock salt.

The data is interesting to combine with Lucky Bancho's stuff, and it's neat that they'd previously been providing a consistent dataset you could look at month-to-month differences in, but it's never been worth taking at face value.

Arkeband

Banned
FFXIVCensus is this weird intersection of good intentions and terrible approach. Claiming to have any idea of activity based on the presence of a minion from a year-old patch was silly. Constantly talking about "active players" when the only things you measure are character-based is silly. Proclaiming that a non-WoW MMO somehow has 3 million active subscribers and wouldn't be bragging about this at literally every opportunity, based on an activity metric you just decided to start using and hadn't really tested the validity of, is silly. They mean well, but everything sourcing them needs to be taken with gigantic chunks of rock salt.

The data is interesting to combine with Lucky Bancho's stuff, and it's neat that they'd previously been providing a consistent dataset you could look at month-to-month differences in, but it's never been worth taking at face value.

It took a mod labeling the thread as inaccurate for them to admit their data was bad, so after that I'm definitely taking that site less seriously. The funniest replies were the people who either were like "I believe it!" or who were angry that we debunked numbers that would have (misled) potential new players into thinking the game is crazy populated.

They said their sample size they were going on was like 20 players lol. Maybe if it wasn't such a ded gaem they'd have more people to bounce it off of before redesigning their website around it.

My prediction for tomorrow's patch is

Omega will be activated and will one shot the primal before it's finished forming or it escapes and Omega one shots it anyway blasting a hole in the mountain we see in some concept art then it escapes to Interdimensional Rift where the next raid takes place.

Squishy3

My prediction for tomorrow's patch is

Omega will be activated and will one shot the primal before it's finished forming or it escapes and Omega one shots it anyway blasting a hole in the mountain we see in some concept art then it escapes to Interdimensional Rift where the next raid takes place.
I'd imagine it starts with Nero coming to say "Hey Omega's over here let's use it instead of you guys just relying on the WoL to solve everything" and the WoL and crew go over to secure it and meet those Garleans over there then Nero shows up in the Magitek and is like "i got this" and you get a transmission saying the sky egg is cracking and you need to go hold off whatever it is while they activate Omega. I'm pretty sure the explosion at the end of the 3.5 trailer is blowing a hole in the wall to allow us to go over to the Ala Mhigo side.

I'd imagine it starts with Nero coming to say "Hey Omega's over here let's use it instead of you guys just relying on the WoL to solve everything" and the WoL and crew go over to secure it and meet those Garleans over there then Nero shows up in the Magitek and is like "i got this" and you get a transmission saying the sky egg is cracking and you need to go hold off whatever it is while they activate Omega. I'm pretty sure the explosion at the end of the 3.5 trailer is blowing a hole in the wall to allow us to go over to the Ala Mhigo side.

Oh I forgot about the trailer. I think that explosion at the end is the egg itself exploding, and there's a shot of Omega charging its special beam cannon so I can only assume that it hits the primal at some point with the beam carving out that hole in the mountain. The part at the end where it looks like the egg is exploding actually cuts to another scene close to the ground with some trees in the background so maybe it blows the wall open too.

Well regardless of how this ends all I know is that I'm going to be glamouring that Adventurer Outfit immediately.

Haly

Having the MB next to the main shard is too good though.

duckroll

How did you find the steps of salt?

It was horrible. Not because of what it was, but because of what it turns people into. I queued for it and go into it relatively quickly. Only to find 4 people quitting immediately by the time my cutscene ended. Some other guy then explained to those of us who were new that this is normal because no one likes this trial and if they get it on the roulette they might just quit. We waited and waited for more people. Eventually it filled to 6. Then a healer left. Waited a bit more and it filled to 7 again, still no replacement healer. I had to send an SOS to the GAF FC, and Master Xethos was nice enough to join in so we could get it going. Terrible impression of the trial right off the bat.

I was on cannon duty so the trial itself wasn't too bad. I don't really like tower defense though, so I was getting a little triggered. At one point I attempted to go all the way up to a tower to use a dragonslayer only to realize it was already used, and I couldn't jump down, so I had to walk all the way back down and run to the next cannon. Lol.

I dunno, I don't mind the design so much, but yeah since it's such a slow and time consuming thing compared to normal trials, I can see why people don't have the patience for it!

It was kinda funny how they ended 2.55 with basically a FFXIV movie. From the point you enter the royal chamber, it's literally an hour or so of cutscenes. After that there's another 20-30 mins of stuff along with credits. It's crazy that they did for a.... patch. Hahahaha.

Storywise I dunno. I liked how it was done, but I also felt the writing was a bit predictable and convenient. The scions seem really stupid when the plot needs them to be, while they're really smart and sharp when the plot needs them to be. I'm not a fan of that. It's also kinda annoying to lead the player through investigative quests which make it REALLY obvious what was going to happen, and yet you have to watch yourself sit there not being able to do anything about it. The lack of player agency in dramatic events in a RPG is a hallmark of JRPG Pet Peeves in Storytelling though, so I guess FFXIV is just living up to that. :p

What was really fucking cool was seeing Raulbarn go full berserker MAD BULL mode. They did that really well. I still can't believe that they allowed the stupid Lalafells to pull all that crap without a secondary plot twist though. I seriously expected that at least one supporting faction noticed what was going on and had something else going on in the background. Like maybe Yugiri's people staging the assassination to bring out the real conspirators. Meh!

Also Alphanannarnfjahdadha moping for what seemed like 25 minutes was really lame. Might have been better if the Crystal Braves actually killed him when they had the chance. Then they can bring his sister in as a replacement in HW and I would be happier.

But you love cutscenes duckroll.

LOOOOOOOOOOVE

It's the way the game was meant to be played.

Why don't you shut your face and go back to crafting in front of people blowing each other. It's not like you're useful for anything else. Won't even help us raid in our hour of need. Always being a negative nancy all the time. Tired of this shit. Tired tired tired.

Yeah, I don't really hate the encounter itself, it's the community. Between people leaving as soon as they see what they got to people just assuming someone else will do cannons and dragonkillers, it's just a mediocre time at best. At least the nerf gives you a hell of a lot more leeway than you used to have.

As for player agency, you start to see a little bit more post Heavensward, but it's really just dialogue choices that don't matter in the long run.
I do admit that I appreciated having the chance to say that solving everyone's problems was getting to be a bit much, though.

suzu

Steps of Faith can also be unsynced. Went with one lv50 (newbie) and three lv60s. I think we finished it with one dragonkiller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom