• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Is it just me or does using a controller for the mindjack mechanic in O3S suck? No deaths until literally last seconds on my o3s weekly and it just felt bad. I had the right face debuff and I had 3 seconds to adjust. I went left but then the analog on the controller just completely screwed me over and put my character right into the briar pit :3 lol.

It was a rather crappy feeling considering I got no deaths last week. Oh well... damn you ps4 controller.

Gridman

Neo Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to start a character on Ultros tonight as soon as creation restrictions are lifted. I'm just not looking forward to redoing the ARR quests but it should be worth it. No one will make fun of me for playing as a female character, right?

They realized that people who liked how DPS jobs play enjoyed Dark Knight more than the other tanks so they completely gutted it to remind them how tanks are supposed to be. That way people who want something to gnash their teeth on have to move to another role (DPS) which is what happened to me.

Pre SB Dark Knight was my favourite job but was backstabbed on the way to SB. I understand now why Yoship likes Matsuno so much and how he's applied that to not just the story but to the jobs as well.

Eldren

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to start a character on Ultros tonight as soon as creation restrictions are lifted. I'm just not looking forward to redoing the ARR quests but it should be worth it. No one will make fun of me for playing as a female character, right?

If I were a betting man I'd say more than half the characters in the game are women and probably more than half of GAF plays a female character (I've grown very attached to my female Highlander, her emotes are so enthusiastic.) Don't worry about it, just play whoever and whatever you like.

Hmmm, tried pugging O4S. Despite the obvious learning in the description.... we go to the first black holes and people just dropped left and right. Lol, is that even possible with pugs? People just quit but yeah.

Gridman

Neo Member
If I were a betting man I'd say more than half the characters in the game are women and probably more than half of GAF plays a female character (I've grown very attached to my female Highlander, her emotes are so enthusiastic.) Don't worry about it, just play whoever and whatever you like.

Awesome then that's exactly what I'll do. I decided to try the Au Ra race. The only thing I worry about is that my character will look generic but oh well I like her. I managed to get into Ultros right away after creating my character. If you see Somaria Kresnik around don't be afraid to say hello.

B.K.

I can't figure out the password to finish this event. Was it hinted somewhere what it is? I can't think of any word to make out of these letters.

Bowlie

Banned
I can't figure out the password to finish this event. Was it hinted somewhere what it is? I can't think of any word to make out of these letters.

Write down the numbers' positions on the first floor and see where the would be on the second floor.

Astral

I really hate O2S. I either make a little mistake that fucks the party over or someone else does. The furthest I got was 0.6% health. Infuriating. It's so much pressure as a healer too. I'm not gonna enjoy doing this shit weekly.

Luminaire

I really hate O2S. I either make a little mistake that fucks the party over or someone else does. The furthest I got was 0.6% health. Infuriating. It's so much pressure as a healer too. I'm not gonna enjoy doing this shit weekly.

O4S may be your undoing...

2S is a joke. The aoe dmg going out is lack of raid mitigation + lack of instant heals.

Collective Unconscious, Earthly star, Asyum, Assize, Indom, Succon, Sacred Soil, Reprisal, Divine Veil, etc etc.

-
Got to 7% neo ex tonight. Not bad for a casualish group, though its hard to compete with other brds when I don't have a drg. Its like losing out on 300-350~ dps.

Can I just say I really love what they did with Bard? Only at level 60 but already it's amazing.

Yes, it feels like a new job compared to HW. Everything is just so fluid. Not only that but they seem to pack a nice punch. Also, stack as much crit hit as you can, holy crap I've had my openers accidentally rip hate from tanks in endgame it's kind of funny (until you die that is)

If you're going to raid you'll be invaluable for groups since most dps are bandwagoning SAM/RDM.

Got to 7% neo ex tonight. Not bad for a casualish group, though its hard to compete with other brds when I don't have a drg. Its like losing out on 300-350~ dps.
Its kinda funny how they tried making BRD less dependant on DRG but ended up making them scale so hard together that BRDs are basically gods when Litany + Eyes is on.

Qvoth

hit 1% neo exdeath few times this week... it hurts ; ;
guess my aim of clearing it in this month is no longer possible
wtzgU.gif

Omni

Thank you for this!

I don't main SAM anymore, but Hagakure should be used on CD for as many Sen as possible unless 1) the target will jump befroe you can spend the bonus Kenki or 2) You are under raidbuffs that will expire before you can spend all the bonus Kenki. Obviously you should never cap Kenki when using it but that's a given.

As far as the opener goes it depends on fight length and composition but I would just use the 3 Sen opener to be safe until you're comfortable enough to change up your opener based on those factors. The difference isn't huge even if you always use 3 Sen. Using the 3 Sen opener on a dummy you will see that when played correctly Hagakure will line up with 3 Sen most of the time with no adjustments. This changed obviously anytime you have downtime in a fight.

Also as a side note, pre-release Hagakure confused me because if you do the math (which I don't have offhand) Midare Setsugekka actually beats it in most circumstances in pure potency. The reason Hagakure is good is because it saves you a GCD since you spend your Sen without casting Iaijustu. That saved GCD gets you on your way to your next Sen faster and lines you up much more easily for DoT reapplication and CDs.

Of course the image spells all that out but I was bored so figured I'd give a little insight. If you want to dig into the class the SAM channel on the Balance discord is where I picked up all the useful tidbits. Tbf though at this late stage most of the info is out there in guides or discussions and most of the discord is obvious questions or people talking about waifus...

And thanks for the tips! Still just trying to get used to it. It's very different to what I'm used to playing (AST, haha)

lonerism

Hi guys

I'm new here, I just downloaded the free trial and I'm gonna try out the game for the first time... It's been a long time since I played a MMORPG (the last one was Maple Story, 5 years ago)

Any tips? I haven't decide which class to choose yet, but I'm thinking of Black Mage (or White Mage)

PS4 here, btw

Only level 40, but really enjoying my time as a Scholar – the shields are super fun! Reading the thread, it seems they've made the class at level 70 a bit shit. Should I change to a different healer?

Hi guys

I'm new here, I just downloaded the free trial and I'm gonna try out the game for the first time... It's been a long time since I played a MMORPG (the last one was Maple Story, 5 years ago)

Any tips? I haven't decide which class to choose yet, but I'm thinking of Black Mage (or White Mage)

PS4 here, btw

Starting out I would recommend just doing the Main Story Quests (they have a meteor design as a quest marker). They get you started off. Black Mage is a fun dps class, but you'll have longer wait times getting into group content if you don't run with a healer or tank buddy. White Mage being a healer would get into groups faster. Healing the early game stuff is super easy, but late game can become stressful (especially if you get a bad group). You can change the class you play at any time, but the EXP is not shared, so you have to level them all individually.

I PM'd you a Recruit a Friend code, which you can use when you choose to actually register the game on your account to get stuff to help you get started.

Welcome to Eorzea!

dramatis

Hi guys

PS4 here, btw

If you don't mind longer instance queue times, you can pick Thaumaturge/Black Mage over Conjurer/White Mage.

Black Mage is a damage dealer which is mostly boring for 50 levels before slowly becoming a nuker. White Mage is a healer that is also mostly boring for about 50 levels but is a solid healing blaster that also has some strong offensive spells.

iammeiam

Only level 40, but really enjoying my time as a Scholar – the shields are super fun! Reading the thread, it seems they've made the class at level 70 a bit shit. Should I change to a different healer?

Short version: No. If you stop enjoying it, then yes, but it's not a non-viable problem. The specifics of what's going on with the healers right now is pretty weird and has a lot to do with comparison to where they were before, and how the expansion upgraded/downgraded functionality, but any combination of the three jobs can heal anything and you're not going to have the before to compare to and possibly be disappointed by so shrug.

Berordn

I give up on healing forever.

I am all about that ninja life now.

Short version: No. If you stop enjoying it, then yes, but it's not a non-viable problem. The specifics of what's going on with the healers right now is pretty weird and has a lot to do with comparison to where they were before, and how the expansion upgraded/downgraded functionality, but any combination of the three jobs can heal anything and you're not going to have the before to compare to and possibly be disappointed by so shrug.

Plus with all the recent changes to negate a lot of the negative stuff from the expansion launch, they're all viable in any context even if there's situations where one might be the 'best' choice.

Astral

Is there a way to practice skills you haven't learned? Like maybe one of those special dummy rooms? PotD gives you all these level 60 skills for BRD but I have no idea how to use them effectively. I spent the last run just putting skills on my hotbar and reading what they do.

Is there a way to practice skills you haven't learned? Like maybe one of those special dummy rooms? PotD gives you all these level 60 skills for BRD but I have no idea how to use them effectively. I spent the last run just putting skills on my hotbar and reading what they do.
Nope. Only way to do that is PoTD. You could enter PoTD solo and just dick around with the skills.

lonerism

Starting out I would recommend just doing the Main Story Quests (they have a meteor design as a quest marker). They get you started off. Black Mage is a fun dps class, but you'll have longer wait times getting into group content if you don't run with a healer or tank buddy. White Mage being a healer would get into groups faster. Healing the early game stuff is super easy, but late game can become stressful (especially if you get a bad group). You can change the class you play at any time, but the EXP is not shared, so you have to level them all individually.

I PM'd you a Recruit a Friend code, which you can use when you choose to actually register the game on your account to get stuff to help you get started.

Welcome to Eorzea!

Thanks mate

Another question: after the trial, should I buy the base game + the monthly subscription?

lonerism

So, I'm trying to download the 15gb patch and can't get past this stupid error: "cannot download patch files"

I'm using wired connection btw :(

Atolm

Got my Phoenix//Firebird mount after a very lucky few days. That's one thing less on my checklist.

I'll try to get the Pegasus from PotD now.

Toth

Any Savage BLMS have a solid food choice for your runs? I just missed breaking 4k DPS on O1S with onigara-yaki +1 and I was wondering if a better food choice was available.

edit: actually hit around 4.4kish at peak but unavoidable downtime from mechanics brings me down a bit.

Edzi

So how does canceling a sub work? Am I at risk of losing anything while I'm away before resubbing?

I figure it's time for a break until the next major content patch since I've pretty much done everything except for Savage content.

Squishy3

So how does canceling a sub work? Am I at risk of losing anything while I'm away before resubbing?

I figure it's time for a break until the next major content patch since I've pretty much done everything except for Savage content.
Not if you don't own your own housing plot.

LordKasual

Banned
Just hit lv68 on BLM, Enhanced Umbral Hearts

I do not think there is a more satisfying rotation in the game

Pity that it's worthless during single target rotation tho

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
As someone who leveled each and every single DPS class to 30+ because I couldn't find a class I loved... it was the last one that did it for me in BLM. Almost at 55 now, this is the most fun class in the game for me and its the one I'm taking it to 70. Kinda wish I did it first!

LordKasual

Banned
As someone who leveled each and every single DPS class to 30+ because I couldn't find a class I loved... it was the last one that did it for me in BLM. Almost at 55 now, this is the most fun class in the game for me and its the one I'm taking it to 70. Kinda wish I did it first!

It's alot more fun now than it was before. Thunder 2 becoming a brand new spell and Thunder 3 replacing Thunder 1 makes the class feel alot more dynamic than it did before. You are also definitely going to enjoy 50-60 BLM more than anyone who did it in 3.0 because of the way Blizzard 4 works now.

Back in 3.0, it was:

56 = Get Enochian, which was just a barely noticable 5% dps buff for 30 seconds

58 = Get Blizzard IV, which refreshes Enochian but really wasn't good for anything else

60 = Get Fire IV, suddenly Enochian and Blizzard IV makes sense

Now, it's

56 = Get Enochian, which is a perma 5% buff as long as you don't drop AF/UI

58 = Get Blizzard IV, which gives umbral hearts and greatly extends the amount of time you'll be in Astral Fire

60 = Get Fire IV, your shiny new nuke

As far as reworks go, Black Mage has transitioned extremely smoothly into 4.0

By the twelve, I wish I was here to experience Heavensward when it launched. Finally done with the ARR MSQ (what a end!) and I'm still plodding around in the starting HW zones, but I'm loving every bit of it so far, the atmosphere, the music and the visuals of the new zones. Ishgard and Cloudtop are incredible, on another level altogether from the ARR zones. Solid is by far the most incredible piece of zone music I've heard in the game. Can finally also access the class I was aiming for, AST, and it feels a lot more engaging to play compared to my WHM main.

After watching the intro cinematic of HW I also kind of got the urge to power-level my dragoon class to take it through the HW story mode.

Qvoth

i'd like to ask the real pro top tier blms a question
having blizzard 4 up for the umbral hearts is a dps increase
sharpcasting thunder 3 to have thundercloud proc is also a dps increase

my question is, should you be doing both? basically doing blizzard 3 > blizzard 4 > sharpcasting thunder 3?
it just feels like too much time spent on umbral ice so i'm not too sure on this, usually if i don't have sharpcast then i ignore thunder 3 and just go blizzard 3 > blizzard 4

So after getting to Heavensward last week, I've finished done the lv50 Dark Knight quest, and I think 30-50 Dark Knight is my favourite class story arc so far.

I understand why they don't, but I wish the implications of the DRK story would spill into the main story a little.
I've spent a whole arc screaming and raging at been the Errandgirl of Light, and immediately afterwards, I'm back to silently nodding and doing whatever new dumb thing Alphinaud needs me to do. Also, its kinda weird how everyone in Ishgard is cool with me after entire towns have seen me hanging out with corpses, manifesting and fighting my evil doppelganger and butchering an entire chapter of temple knights.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So after getting to Heavensward last week, I've finished done the lv50 Dark Knight quest, and I think 30-50 Dark Knight is my favourite class story arc so far.

I understand why they don't, but I wish the implications of the DRK story would spill into the main story a little.
I've spent a whole arc screaming and raging at been the Errandgirl of Light, and immediately afterwards, I'm back to silently nodding and doing whatever new dumb thing Alphinaud needs me to do. Also, its kinda weird how everyone in Ishgard is cool with me after entire towns have seen me hanging out with corpses, manifesting and fighting my evil doppelganger and butchering an entire chapter of temple knights.

DRK's storyline is interesting in the fact that it's mostly about you, the player, not somebody else doing stuff and you're just there, but it directly addresses you even when Sidurgu
and his Rydia expy
come into play. But on the other hand no matter how much you lampshade fetchquesting being godawful game design you're still doing fetchquesting out the ass to this day? Pointing out flaws in your approach doesn't make them go away you know, SE!

But then again DRK 30-50 was written by Ishikawa Natsuko so it's top tier. Let her write a game SE!

A result of having a void in place of an actual character. I liked DRK's whole storyline for the meta aspect to it but in the end you'll still have to do the stuff that they complain about.

Like everyone's favourite titan feast preparation where they make fun of really mundane and annoying quests then make you do a whole bunch of them.

Etroveria

Neo Member
By the twelve, I wish I was here to experience Heavensward when it launched. Finally done with the ARR MSQ (what a end!) and I'm still plodding around in the starting HW zones, but I'm loving every bit of it so far, the atmosphere, the music and the visuals of the new zones. Ishgard and Cloudtop are incredible, on another level altogether from the ARR zones. Solid is by far the most incredible piece of zone music I've heard in the game. Can finally also access the class I was aiming for, AST, and it feels a lot more engaging to play compared to my WHM main.

After watching the intro cinematic of HW I also kind of got the urge to power-level my dragoon class to take it through the HW story mode.

You're in for a ride! Heavensward is definitely one of my most fave pieces in gaming and the upcoming patches are just as fantastic if not more. And going through it as a dragoon was just the best feeling ever.

Fuck it, just spent 20m in the Black Pegasus mount, that's what gil is for.

Woah, which server are you on? On my server it's only around 5m...

Top Bottom