• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

IvorB

Yes, it feels like a new job compared to HW. Everything is just so fluid. Not only that but they seem to pack a nice punch. Also, stack as much crit hit as you can, holy crap I've had my openers accidentally rip hate from tanks in endgame it's kind of funny (until you die that is)

If you're going to raid you'll be invaluable for groups since most dps are bandwagoning SAM/RDM.

Yeah it feels familiar yet at the same time completely new. Took me a while to figure out what the hell was going with the songs and repertoire but but once it clicks, it's great.

I don't know what this infrastructure maintenance they've been doing is but I got my first proper look at Ixion the other night and was impressed how well things held up during the insane light show.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So close to getting Alchemist to lvl 70........... I would have had it done if it wasn't for the maintenance.

With that I'll have all my Disciples of Hand and Land at lvl 70. The nightmare is almost over.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I used my Fantasia from my first month of sub to switch from an Elezen to Roegadyn and I'm really liking my new character. With that said, I'm super tempted to use another Fantasia in the future to make a Lalafell. Those little potatoes are too adorable!
It's like watching a rollercoaster slowly descend before the track disappears completely.

B.K.

So close to getting Alchemist to lvl 70........... I would have had it done if it wasn't for the maintenance.

With that I'll have all my Disciples of Hand and Land at lvl 70. The nightmare is almost over.

I'm going to try to get all the crafting jobs to at least 60. Then I may wait for the next crafting beast tribe to get from 60 to 70.

Trojita

It feels like witchcraft to be able to hq almost anything using NQ mats and a macro rotation.

I have so many materia from red script turn ins. It's time to start overmelding.

Don't think so, it's only a lil bit faster than normal running.

It's quite fast, but not as fast as Sprint.

Goes like this:
Running < Ninja movespeed bonus/Fists of Wind for monk << Peloton << Sprint

It's a fair amount faster than running, this is especially noticeable in town when you have to run long distance to turn in stupid quests, or at low lvl pre mount(honestly definitely recommend getting archer to 20 asap to get it for early questing, especially if ppl have Road to 60 buff).

Trojita

It's quite fast, but not as fast as Sprint.

Goes like this:
Running > Ninja movespeed bonus/Fists of Wind for monk >> Peloton >> Sprint

It's a fair amount faster than running, this is especially noticeable in town when you have to run long distance to turn in stupid quests, or at low lvl pre mount(honestly definitely recommend getting archer to 20 asap to get it for early questing, especially if ppl have Road to 60 buff).
I get what you were going for there, but you should have used less-than symbols or reversed the order lol.

When running a matched party, the party only lasts for the 10 floor block you've queued into. So you and your buddy will queue in at 1, go through 10, and after 10 exit and be at a party with just you two. You can then either continue the save and do 11-20 with new people, or delete the save and queue in 1-10 again. You're stuck doing one of the two--you can't, say, repeat 11-20. You either start at 21 next time, or wipe out the slot and start again at 1.

The exception to that is clearing floor 50. Once you've cleared 50, you can start future matched parties at 51, reset, and start again at 51. When level grinding it's super common to just do 51-60 over and over and over, but you need to get that far first.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds perfect for us to mix it up with the duty finder dungeons.

CLBridges

It's such a chore at times leveling a dps. But, one more level and I'll be 70 RDM. I wanted to max one job from each role (tank, healer, melee, ranged phys. and caster). After, I'm finally gonna level my DoL jobs to max.

So you left your second static on your second night because the WHM was still learning mindjack and wasn't dpsing to your standard

but yes damn those elitists

So normally I wouldn't ever reply to anything you say but this was really unnecessary of you to stir the thread in your favour. I have decided to explain myself though because you seem to be calling me an elitist for giving tips on dpsing to a WHM. Hmmm even if it is none of your business but here's my story on that static. We ran two days. One day was a test day and the other day was know the mindjack mechanic and do your best. Our goal was to get to the Giants first day but I noticed the WHM would never dps like ever. If he did it was one stone iv or a dot but he never did anything more. I decided to be nice and give good criticism to him asking him to dps in some places where there was so much uptime. I went off a whm ability list since I dont know the job. I even told him to put cleric on his bar because esuna is irrelevant in O3S. Now, he never took that advice and statics are about helping each other out. We learned the mindjack day 1 and all was ok cause we got to Giants. The 2nd day was the day I'd decide if I'd stay or not. To my surprise, the whm never took any advice from me and I felt like I was being ignored. The mindjack wasn't going well when we were supposed to know it. How on earth does this make me an elitist if i'm being ignored? You have a strong misconception of my post or rather assuming I'm an elitist even when I specifically mentioned I dont want an elitist static for my new one because statics aren't about who can have the biggest ego to me. Plain and simple but I was being ignored so I left. None of this makes me an "elitist" like you apparently say I am. I left out details but there's the full side of the story for you so hopefully we can be civil and you detract what you said because it was unnecessary.

And to get back to discussion of the thread... my new raid group went great tonight! I think I'm going to stay in the group to see what happens next. Lots of lag in O2S were the only problems we had but their dps is great enough to not wipe on O3S enrage so that's looking good. Cant speak about Exdeath yet as I'm still learning it.

Kenai

Really? I pretty consistently get near top player damage and kills/assists in the big mode while I suck with anything else.

RDM doesn't hit as hard as BRD/MCH/SMN/BLM at range but doesn't have much in the way of defense to survive at close range either if they wanna melee combo. They also lose a bunch of their normal utility in PVP.

It's not the worst job or anything but I definitely prefer MCH/BRD even after the nerfs.

Qvoth

as someone who was around for the static scene for more than a year and finally quit statics, trust me when i say this, it's literally USELESS telling another person how to do his/her job
the only time someone listens is if they're the ones who actually asked the questions like where did i do wrong? where could i improve? etc in the 1st place

Really? I pretty consistently get near top player damage and kills/assists in the big mode while I suck with anything else.

They balance around Feast, not Frontlines. Ranged chars do ok in Frontlines just by nature of the thing, although honestly BLM/MCH/BRD just do as well/better in these too if you're playing properly. In feast however and especially in 4vs4, RDM loses a lot of power. They're squishy as hell like BLMs but don't have the damage output without their melee combos, which can be broken with CC and requires the whole thing and they'll usually die in the process if they're being focused. And even when left unchecked, BLMs do a lot more(they actually nerfed Foul so it might not be AS good, but it's still pretty stupid).

There's 3 classes that most people felt were weak in Feast, WAR because of the lack of control so they're like a bad melee DPS with slightly better defenses, AST because of the lack of good emergency healing and the RNG aspect of cards being a detriment without all the pve tools to edge the RNG in your favor(redraw, sleeve draw and the 3stages component of recycling cards) RDM because of the low ranged damage in comparison to other ranged classes with the reliance on melee combos without defensive tools.

This patch adresses the tank solution pretty well I think, by nerfing both the other tanks and giving WAR a stun, so while they don't have a silence too, it's acceptable and they can leverage their superior damage burst more efficiently.

It doesn't do much about the healer problem I wanna say. AST still only have Essential Dignity as a non hard cast heal, which was reduced to 10secs cd so that's nice at least, but it's hard to cover a burst when it's your only heal and it's only good when the target is decently low too. It just lacks tools to deal with burst, WHMs have like half a dozen of instant cast defensive crap and SCH can activate the fairy to increase overall healing output for like 20secs while having Lustrate spam if needed(especially lustrate x3 > aetherflow > lustrate x3).

As for RDM, not sure it did the job.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
as someone who was around for the static scene for more than a year and finally quit statics, trust me when i say this, it's literally USELESS telling another person how to do his/her job
the only time someone listens is if they're the ones who actually asked the questions like where did i do wrong? where could i improve? etc in the 1st place

What? No it's not. Experience exchange is the crucial part of learning, there's no way any one person immediately knows everything and experienced peers teaching newcomers is how all learning is? The other matter is that you can bring the horse to the water but you can't make it drink so to speak, like, you can tell somebody "Hey, if you use Cleric Stance, you can do more damage and the fight dies faster", but that doesn't mean they're obligated to listen. But there's the rub ain't it? If people don't listen to advice of their fellow group members, and not because they know better or even think they know better but simply because they don't care, surely the fault is not with the advice giver, but with the lazy person so far up their comfort zone bubble they're being an active detriment to the success of a multi-person endeavor. See, the thing is that a lot of the time people don't even realize that there's something they should be asking for, like... They're just sort of playing intuitively and because of the lack of experience they don't know they might be doing something else that would be contributing to the group. If it's a static group that means that potentially you're going to be playing with those 7 people you're with week to week so if you're the kinda guy who's useless to give advice to, you're a problem.

Edit: communication between two co-healers is especially important because at the end of the day healers are a unit, the entire "main healer-off healer" mentality is nothing but a relic of ARR that's no longer supported by game mechanics. Even on like... encounter planning level. Healers in this game are so, so goddamn strong, but they're even stronger when they coordinate with each other. Look at O4S for example with its aggro dumps. You can have WHM Cure III bomb through Almagest and make the tanks sweat cold while SCH pretends they're some kind of "off healer" or whatever the heck (actual case in a post on r/ffxiv right now) or you could just coordinate regens and cooldowns and have the entire green and blue part of your party comfortably damage easy breezy. If I was a healer and my co-healer refused to talk to me, I'd probably snap.

Astral

I finally beat O2S. And I got a piece of Genji armor too. That took way too many tries and way too many days to beat. Fuck. I'm sure I'll be stuck in O3S for like a month.

iammeiam

What's the fastest way to ilevel 295 so I can play Omega? Beat the MSQ and am only 285 now.

The level 70 job quest gives you usually a very important skill, plus a free i290 weapon and left side gear set.

Do the level 70 dungeons and you can use verity to buy i310 gear. Verity is uncapped so you're only limited by how much you want to grind. The 70 dungeons also drop 300 gear, which makes a good filler second ring. At some point in that you'll get past 295 and able to get into Omega.

woot got my alt to 70 and did 1-2s already LOL. Literally bought 330 creation gloves... replaced in 10mins with 2s LOL.

Its pretty astounding how much dps shoots up with some gear. Did 3700 with a drg on 1s but I can do 4400-4900 (pending on comp) on my main. Though I do have a 310 weapon on my alt. Ironically enough, I uploaded a parse and it went to my main character's logs.

Now to save 1k creation to get my creation bow and i'm set for 3s clear parties.

iammeiam

I got my alt all outfitted in crafted gear Sunday but didn't get to take it into Savage tonight to mess around, and wound up long-roading it with somebody's O1S learning PF. Took forever, but by the end of it I feel like I had a solid handle on where MCH is in raiding right now and it's... not awful?

I know a lot of the people who were high on the 4.0 gameplay loop feel like it's been dumbed down too much since, and fwiw I think they could revert the heat buildrate changes and it'd be better for the job, but Making Overheat Actually Worth It finally makes the heat gauge feel like a thing with a purpose. I ended up over 40 CPM on the eventual kill (which went to enrage! mch/sam/blm/blm! the dream! authentic PF experience!), which fits with how busy the job feels now. It's going to have the same intense planning problem it had in HW, where you need to always know all the jumps and disconnects or hilarious things will happen, but it flows decently and the 6 GCD OH is an exciting adventure in Do I Remember To Delay FT Enough Or Am I Going To Be Real Sad Soon?

I still miss the HW-era design, and actually looking at the clear numbers is kind of depressing (instead of evening out the number of people playing MCH for MCH, the actual clear numbers in raids are skewed more heavily towards bard than ever before, even though MCH is actually doing damage again)/I'm not sure they achieved anything they set out to do.But at least it's worth doing stuff on again!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Machinist at 70 is okay? I guess? Somewhat? It actually shares a lot of hurdles with HW MCH (you have to align this, this and this, and you have to fish for procs forever) which mean that when they set out to make jobs intuitive and not force you to align ALL THE THINGS they... didn't really fix that problem on MCH, they just replaced piano etude opener with get-it-hot. Okay. I guess it's easier on controller users, but MCH will still be kind of difficult to get into precisely because of the whole a lot of effort for questionable rewards when you can just sort of roll your face on the keyboard as BRD instead.

Plus the fact that leveling MCH sucks isn't gonna go away, you get a crucial mechanic at 52 and don't get to properly use it until 70. That is worse than not having Blackest Night, because at least DRK can pop other stuff and be fine, good luck trying to align WF and OH before Flamethrower, it stinks.

If I was a healer and my co-healer refused to talk to me, I'd probably snap.
Worse yet, having a healer that seems to listen to you but never puts any advice you give in practice.

Its not elitism to expect your healing partner to not put excessive burden on you.

iammeiam

I read that as "No one cares about mechanics".

This is definitely true, but we would need a poll to confirm which people care about less.

summoner would win. nobody anywhere cares about summoner and its 13 phase rotation

Machinist at 70 is okay? I guess? Somewhat? It actually shares a lot of hurdles with HW MCH (you have to align this, this and this, and you have to fish for procs forever) which mean that when they set out to make jobs intuitive and not force you to align ALL THE THINGS they... didn't really fix that problem on MCH, they just replaced piano etude opener with get-it-hot. Okay. I guess it's easier on controller users, but MCH will still be kind of difficult to get into precisely because of the whole a lot of effort for questionable rewards when you can just sort of roll your face on the keyboard as BRD instead.

I completely agree with all of this, but I think the situation might have been a little better if this is what they gave the world in 4.0 instead of the mess that we got. They absolutely failed at the mission statement of the Machinist rework, but what we got at SB launch was hard to justify anyone playing ever. The gameplay loop isn't a massive upgrade from HW at this point, and I know the 6 GCD OH is going to fall into the realm of stuff they didn't expect people to do, but it was alright.

Plus the fact that leveling MCH sucks isn't gonna go away, you get a crucial mechanic at 52 and don't get to properly use it until 70. That is worse than not having Blackest Night, because at least DRK can pop other stuff and be fine, good luck trying to align WF and OH before Flamethrower, it stinks.

This remained terrible the second time through; the biggest offender to me is still the stretch from getting GB to getting the heated shots at 64. The incompleteness is bad before 70, but before 64 it still makes no sense. Give the heated shots alongside GB at 52, slot in some rando utility thing or rDPS thing at 64.

Edit: communication between two co-healers is especially important because at the end of the day healers are a unit, the entire "main healer-off healer" mentality is nothing but a relic of ARR that's no longer supported by game mechanics. Even on like... encounter planning level. Healers in this game are so, so goddamn strong, but they're even stronger when they coordinate with each other. If I was a healer and my co-healer refused to talk to me, I'd probably snap.

Yeah, this is exactly what I feel is true about healers. The whole stupid off healer and main healer mentality needs to go and each healer needs to communicate. Very well said! But another point i'd like to make is I think Qvoth meant giving advice was useless in his statics because nobody took it to heart just like my experience with my 2nd static of the tier. He's quite right about that and i've been in 4 statics. I remember back in Alex Creator savage my static leader asked me to do more damage as a healer and I had to re do all my melds into accuracy. He never paid me any gil back and I was frustrated as heck when we were still wiping a11s even with my dps. Either way, statics are a double edged sword to anyone. I play for the team and tips and if you dont want to apply yourself in a raid environment I think it's a waste of time. This does not make me elitist in the slightest. I'm just saving time.

Omni

So normally I wouldn't ever reply to anything you say but this was really unnecessary of you to stir the thread in your favour.
What does this even mean, haha. NONETHELESS.

I have decided to explain myself though because you seem to be calling me an elitist for giving tips on dpsing to a WHM. Hmmm even if it is none of your business but here's my story on that static. We ran two days. One day was a test day and the other day was know the mindjack mechanic and do your best. Our goal was to get to the Giants first day but I noticed the WHM would never dps like ever. If he did it was one stone iv or a dot but he never did anything more. I decided to be nice and give good criticism to him asking him to dps in some places where there was so much uptime. I went off a whm ability list since I dont know the job. I even told him to put cleric on his bar because esuna is irrelevant in O3S. Now, he never took that advice and statics are about helping each other out. We learned the mindjack day 1 and all was ok cause we got to Giants. The 2nd day was the day I'd decide if I'd stay or not. To my surprise, the whm never took any advice from me and I felt like I was being ignored. The mindjack wasn't going well when we were supposed to know it. How on earth does this make me an elitist if i'm being ignored? You have a strong misconception of my post or rather assuming I'm an elitist even when I specifically mentioned I dont want an elitist static for my new one because statics aren't about who can have the biggest ego to me. Plain and simple but I was being ignored so I left. None of this makes me an "elitist" like you apparently say I am. I left out details but there's the full side of the story for you so hopefully we can be civil and you detract what you said because it was unnecessary.
Fair enough. I'm sorry that I upset you when I implied you were an elitist. Juuuust going by your original post!

But yeah, communication between healers is very important. I've spent a lot of time talking strategy with my co-heals throughout Alex and now Omega. End result is higher combined dps for both of us and less reliance on a single healer to do everything, which as Frumix mentioned, is a very outdated mindset. When both heals can walk away with 95+ percentile dps logs in a single fight, it feels great. Anyone can stop healing and just pad. I dunno how long I'd last in a group where we couldn't discuss that kinda stuff honestly. But then again I've been told that I'm an elitist because I care about my logs and improving so ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

iammeiam

TBH healers (and tanks, fwiw) need to stop looking at their personal rankings entirely. The best thing FFLogs did this tier was introduce combined healer rankings and combined tank damage rankings because you now flat-out get carried by your cohealer/cotank graded as a unit. I'd kind of like to see the uber combo of healer + tank DPS as a mega-unit, but I still think this is a massive step up as-is when it comes to weighing personal padding versus rdps. The points are essentially % of max damage for that specific job pairing, which makes the overall rankings kind of weird and it can be more useful to filter down to specific job pairings, but it's invaluable for figuring out how other groups get the most milage out of their tank and healer damage and what the potential for your specific healer comp actually is.

Edit: Well, more stop looking at your personal rankings if you're in a group you intend to stick with. If you're trying out groups and notice a wacky imbalance between performance it's useful, but if you've chosen to ride out the tier in a given group you should prioritize the combined performance over your own.

Omni

Oh yeah, I really like how they've done that. My co-heals and I are top combined healer dps in every fight on Lamia except the exdeath part of v4s.

Once everyone is BiS and we start doing some parse runs it should get better. I don't think I've had a clean v3 run this entire tier even

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Soooo what's the best BLM raid food at the moment?

I imagine it's Pork Kakuni just like for every other non-crit bound DPS unless you're close to hitting some kind of spell speed break point in which case look into Boiled Amberjack Head

Kudo

Savage treats me well.

z6oU0OK.png

Top Bottom