• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Astral

Some people's glamour game is so on point. I feel like such a noob wearing Lost Allagan/Genji/Ala Mhigan armor mixed together.

Bebpo

Banned
I've finally got about 400 tomestones of creation from casually joining hunts for the last month since creation came out. Does it make more sense to get an i330 head piece or save up to 895 for an i330 body? Probably would take me about another 3 weeks to get that much and by then 4.1 will be almost out and i330 gear will probably be easier to get so maybe I should just go with a head piece for now?

Also is there anything to spend all this verity on once all your gear is i320? I'm almost at the cap. Is there anything I can even buy and resell on the MB to make some gil with?

Squishy3

I've finally got about 400 tomestones of creation from casually joining hunts for the last month since creation came out. Does it make more sense to get an i330 head piece or save up to 895 for an i330 body? Probably would take me about another 3 weeks to get that much and by then 4.1 will be almost out and i330 gear will probably be easier to get so maybe I should just go with a head piece for now?

Also is there anything to spend all this verity on once all your gear is i320? I'm almost at the cap. Is there anything I can even buy and resell on the MB to make some gil with?
Creation will be weekly capped until 4.2 hits, but you'll be able to get one 330 piece a week from the 24 man being added in 4.1, in terms of most gain it's always weapon->body/legs->helm/gloves/shoes->belt->right side accessories. You need 1000 tomestones of creation for a weapon, and 7 crystalloids from the last floor of Omega. (or beat O2S and get the tomestone directly from there.)

However, at the same time, if you're not really raiding Savage you don't need to rush gearing up and can just casually do it. Story item level requirements are always super lenient compared to whatever the cap is for a given patch, and you'll probably be ahead for a bit even with just 320 stuff plus whatever 330 stuff you end up picking up. Typically all the normal level instanced content is like 10-30 items level below what the cap is for a given patch, so the next dungeon should be 280 requirement and the 24 man will probably be below Omega normal's ilvl requirement or the same.

As for verity spending, there's crafting mats you can buy with it that you can sell on the MB. You can also check the PF and see if anyone is offering money for the mats, in which case you'd easily be able to sell in bulk. Make sure they're on your world though, some people forget that you need to manually tick off cross-world party finder.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Some people's glamour game is so on point. I feel like such a noob wearing Lost Allagan/Genji/Ala Mhigan armor mixed together.
Fashion Fantasy is great in this game. So many options.

It's funny how much I like dressing up my character in games.

Bebpo

Banned
Creation will be weekly capped until 4.2 hits, but you'll be able to get one 330 piece a week from the 24 man being added in 4.1, in terms of most gain it's always weapon->body/legs->helm/gloves/shoes->belt->right side accessories. You need 1000 tomestones of creation for a weapon, and 7 crystalloids from the last floor of Omega. (or beat O2S and get the tomestone directly from there.)

Hmmmm....I just assumed at 4.1 they'll do what they did with Verity for Creation and Creation will become easy to get with no cap and there will be a new tomestone that is slower like Creation which will be capped. Wasn't around for the HW grind, so are new tomestones only introduced with each new tier in Savage? And does the level cap only move each time a new savage raid tier comes out in that case? So 4.1 won't increase the ilevel?

If that's the case I should probably keep saving up and get a body. Although it'd be ironic if the first drop I got from the 24 man raid was a body piece lol Never going to get an i330 weapon -> i340 weapon, it's just way too much of a grind. Didn't pay attention to how crystaloids work and only have 3 so it'd take another 4 weeks + 1,000 creation which is a lot.

Would get stuff from Savage, but my experience the first day of Omega Savage's release with PuGs where after hours and hours and millions spent on gil I could never get a group able to clear O1S was too frustrating and burned me off of ever doing Savage tier PuG on release since I don't have a static.

Hmmmm....I just assumed at 4.1 they'll do what they did with Verity for Creation and Creation will become easy to get with no cap and there will be a new tomestone that is slower like Creation which will be capped. Wasn't around for the HW grind, so are new tomestones only introduced with each new tier in Savage? And does the level cap only move each time a new savage raid tier comes out in that case? So 4.1 won't increase the ilevel?

If that's the case I should probably keep saving up and get a body. Although it'd be ironic if the first drop I got from the 24 man raid was a body piece lol Never going to get an i330 weapon -> i340 weapon, it's just way too much of a grind. Didn't pay attention to how crystaloids work and only have 3 so it'd take another 4 weeks + 1,000 creation which is a lot.

Would get stuff from Savage, but my experience the first day of Omega Savage's release with PuGs where after hours and hours and millions spent on gil I could never get a group able to clear O1S was too frustrating and burned me off of ever doing Savage tier PuG on release since I don't have a static.

Na new tomes are every other patch. 4.1 will still have the same tomes, capped too. They might add random crap for them(orchestrion rolls and what not), 4.15 or so they'll nerf the 7 deltascape thingies for the weapon down to 4 deltascape thiniges(still 1000creation) and add the new relic weapon questline probably for a 335 or 340weapon or so. 4.1 will also have the new 24man which will let you roll on one piece of 330 gear a week as an additional source of 330 gear.

But nothing changes much until 4.2 when they add a new raid cycle, and upgrade all the basic gear levels to follow. Creation will become uncapped and they'll add a new capped tome for new 340 or 350gear not sure what they go with and so on, cycle repeats.

Obviously they might do things differently if they feel like it, but that's how it went in the past.

iammeiam

Just to throw out there that 4.1 has really, really good odds of adding i335 weapons as the new primal drops based on how things have gone in the past.

Astral

Fashion Fantasy is great in this game. So many options.

It's funny how much I like dressing up my character in games.

Real talk, I started leveling NIN only because I wanna dress my character up in a cute ninja outfit. I regret making BRD my first alt because now I don't wanna touch NIN until I'm at least done with BRD.

EDIT: So I understand that you can only roll once a week for OS but can you keep fighting the bosses over and over again for books? I'm guessing no since that would make it very easy to get the gear.

iammeiam

EDIT: So I understand that you can only roll once a week for OS but can you keep fighting the bosses over and over again for books? I'm guessing no since that would make it very easy to get the gear.

No, as long as the lockout is in place the only thing you get from the second and later clears each week is 30 tomes per kill. Pages are one a week like the crystalloids from O4 normal; when 4.2 hits and they move Omega to DF they'll remove the caps from gear and pages but until then it's just the once.

Astral

No, as long as the lockout is in place the only thing you get from the second and later clears each week is 30 tomes per kill. Pages are one a week like the crystalloids from O4 normal; when 4.2 hits and they move Omega to DF they'll remove the caps from gear and pages but until then it's just the once.

Yeah I thought so. Thanks for the confirmation. Currently on O3S. It's quite a bitch. I can only get to White Flame reliably. I watched a guide before and after and watching it after actually fighting the boss a few times made the guide make so much more sense so I'm confident I can do better next time.

Omni

"4.1's Beyond Savage mode will be, up till now, truly terrible and a culmination of everything that came out so far. So do not complain if it's too difficult for you."

lmfao

They keep talking about some kind of new and experimental content but so far showed nothing for it.

Well I mean they haven't shown shit about the 24man either and it's coming out soon, that's kinda how they do it usually? Live letters a few weeks before the patch that has the content and other than that they're pretty silent about stuff.

Like look at the expansion stuff, we didn't know crap about it until super late when they did the long live letter and actually showed a bunch of stuff like skills and areas and what not. Before that there was a lot of super vague stuff. Only big things they revealed early was Ala Mhigo/Doma and RDM/SAM and even these were vague(didn't know RDM stat until super late for example, nor how it would play, how they worked the white mage/black magic stuff in and so on).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well I mean they haven't shown shit about the 24man either and it's coming out soon, that's kinda how they do it usually? Live letters a few weeks before the patch that has the content and other than that they're pretty silent about stuff.

Like look at the expansion stuff, we didn't know crap about it until super late when they did the long live letter and actually showed a bunch of stuff like skills and areas and what not. Before that there was a lot of super vague stuff. Only big things they revealed early was Ala Mhigo/Doma and RDM/SAM and even these were vague(didn't know RDM stat until super late for example, nor how it would play, how they worked the white mage/black magic stuff in and so on).

It's just... I dunno, seems like if you're gonna introduce new systems that are supposed to keep people playing, why wouldn't you want to make them the core appeal of the expansion and get them out... well, at launch. Mythic+ anyone? That was such a core advantage of WoW: Legion, and it was out there right at the start. Instead SB launch is like, literally HW launch down to basically nothing to do for non-raiders. Who said treasure hunts? Bad boy, if I wanted to grind mobs and roll dice, I... No actually I wouldn't want to do that.

Murkas

Think I'm nearing the end of Heavensward part 2 and approaching Stormblood. Then I got the Wind-up Moenbryda and made the mistake of reading the description.

"This anatomically accurate representation of Moenbryda was secretly crafted by none other than Urianger immediately following the untimely passing of his beloved companion. What he did with it before it passed to your hands is a tale best left untold."

So Urianger fucking hot glues it then gives it to me, fucking great...

Astral

Think I'm nearing the end of Heavensward part 2 and approaching Stormblood. Then I got the Wind-up Moenbryda and made the mistake of reading the description.

"This anatomically accurate representation of Moenbryda was secretly crafted by none other than Urianger immediately following the untimely passing of his beloved companion. What he did with it before it passed to your hands is a tale best left untold."

Oh god I didn't catch that lmao.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm kind of in awe at the amount of new players playing. A lot of sprouts running around all the time.

Zomba13

That is "flavour" added by the English localisation.

Leunam

That is "flavour" added by the English localisation.

Yeah the other translations sounded better. I think I saw them on Reddit once.

Normally I like the localization but that was bad choice.

Found a translation:

A magical doll modeled after Moenbryda. Urianger created this doll by himself in secret in order to sort out the feelings he did not realize he had until after her death. The guileless face he saw whenever she looked at him is rendered in the doll's gentle expression.

I guess you don't have to interpret the English translation in a gross manner but this is more meaningful.

iammeiam

It's just... I dunno, seems like if you're gonna introduce new systems that are supposed to keep people playing, why wouldn't you want to make them the core appeal of the expansion and get them out... well, at launch. Mythic+ anyone? That was such a core advantage of WoW: Legion, and it was out there right at the start. Instead SB launch is like, literally HW launch down to basically nothing to do for non-raiders. Who said treasure hunts? Bad boy, if I wanted to grind mobs and roll dice, I... No actually I wouldn't want to do that.

For the most part they seem to start talking up new content types fairly early; it's the palette swap details we get later. PotD was talked about for a long time, Diadem IIRC was both one of the first big HW things announced and touched on constantly for patches leading up to Diadem 2.0. They've been talking about Actually Savage in progressingly more concrete terms for a long time.

I feel like that's the distinction--telling us details about the SB plot arc or Return to Ivalice wouldn't change that the what you do (barring some crazy curveball) being the same as ever. You'll run the 24-man weekly for an upgrade token and a roll on gear equivalent to unupgraded cap tome; the Ivalice stuff is the coat of paint on top. A coat of paint a ton of people are super happy about--Using the 24 mans for this is pretty brilliant--but it's not a new content type.

Realistically, when they make big changes to how players engage with the game we tend to start hearing about them really early. They're always stingy with details, and the iterative stuff they don't talk about near as much, but I'm kind of expecting if new content types are coming we'd start getting teases in the upcoming live letter for stuff they don't actually expect to release until like 4.35 at the earliest. the long term stuff they've been dancing around at length right now is largely QoL--glamour stuff, better cross-server handling.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Exdeath (not neo) is really giving us trouble. I don't think we've been stuck on any mechanical dances in this tier until now. We've seen enrage a few times now, but we need to clean it up because there are way too many deaths each attempt.

We're mostly having trouble getting through the black hole phases unscathed. Usually someone dies from getting trapped between black holes or something, or healers can't top people off because they have to move too.

Are we positioning wrong or something? Right now, we move the boss to the middle before he casts black hole, then have the tanks/healers each go to a preassigned cardinal direction and move clockwise along the arena to pull their black holes. The DPS in the middle spread to avoid fire IIIs/blizzards/whatever.

Should the tanks/healers start near the middle at the black hole cast and then move outwards, or should they pre-position themselves at the edges of the map at their spots?

Are we positioning wrong or something? Right now, we move the boss to the middle before he casts black hole, then have the tanks/healers each go to a preassigned cardinal direction and move clockwise along the arena to pull their black holes. The DPS in the middle spread to avoid fire IIIs/blizzards/whatever.
Middle is doodoo, place boss near the edge with enough room for positionals. This gives you like 70% of the arena to maneuver, lessens the risk of DPS having to dodge black holes and also lessens the risk of clipping them with healer/tank Fire3s on the way back.

This also makes the second rotation much easier since it makes it so tank/heal and DPS Blizz3s will be nowhere near each other

studyguy

Same group hasn't even seen Neo yet, granted we've only had 1 full day of practice at regular Exdeath, but we're making it pretty consistently past black holes (mostly) intact. Feels like no one can drop dead though in any phase it's so tight.

iammeiam

Should the tanks/healers start near the middle at the black hole cast and then move outwards, or should they pre-position themselves at the edges of the map at their spots?

I can tell you what we do and why, but I'm going to head off with a disclaimer that it's not the normal strat. We also don't use waymarks at all, and just always treat the boss' spawn position as 'north'. Also we never drop him on the far edge of the arena. "Edge" for us is always far enough in the tank can stand north of the boss, so when we move him in it's moving from there not toes-in-the-void.

We handle Exdeath on the two holes slightly differently. On first set, the goal is to get everyone mid for the stack. While the outer black hole spawns are pretty random, you always know the four tether black holes will start mid and get drug out and potentially across mid to get to the dude they're tethered to.

So for first black hole, we basically pull him so he's about halfway between mid and the edge. Tanks both start from basically on the boss, and post-cast run out to the edges and then start running south along the edges. Healers usually start closer to E/W and run south from there. DPS starts off north of the boss, where there's a decent amount of space, and can spread out for fires. Healers usually end up S as DPS fire hits, then curve up and slightly away from each other waiting for their fire. By this point DPS is all safely in the middle, we all stack up. Usually I try to Aspected Helios before the BH damage, and then have an Earthly Star mid to pop after fire 3, but just the AH cutting down the initial hit and medica 2 from the WHM is usually enough for Holy. We started mid on this one, and we're doing it for our first clear or two, but between mid and edge was the winner for us. It lets melee keep full uptime without having to add dodging tank and healer tethers to the list of things to worry about. After they explode they move to mid at max melee range and life is usually good.

Second black hole, the goal is to have at least 1 tank, 1 healer, 1 DPS on the edge. So we just leave Exdeath north and make that the DPS flare spot. DPS have to dodge stationary black holes and handle Blizz III, but they never have to worry about the moving holes. Healers generally start E/SE and run kind of alongside each other with the end goal of eventually ending up W/SW. tanks start N and want to end up SE. The non-marked tank and healer can collapse back on the boss and eat DPS flare for uptime/healing. Healing on this one Is another pre-shield and then infinite Regen time before flare.

A huge part of it is honestly just your group getting a feel for black hole hitboxes. The mobile ones seem to have slightly larger hitboxes, so while you can cut it pretty close on the stationary ones (afaik you can run outside of every edge black hole spawn and survive) you need a bigger lead on the tether. Eventually you get a feel for it and can start cutting things closer. I mostly like how we do it because since the middle of the arena is the only place you 100% know is going to be filled with moving balls of death it seems like a risky choice for the cape of death.

I think it's really wise to believe the hype about super savage until we see it in action. Yoshi P has been tremendously inaccurate when it comes to explaining raids.

He also said dusk vigil is hard.

Ashodin

Did Brayflox's Longstop the other day with the wife. The dragon fight at the end is some cool shit, and how it interrupts the boss fight before that Monster Hunter style is awesome af

iammeiam

I think it's really wise to believe the hype about super savage until we see it in action. Yoshi P has been tremendously inaccurate when it comes to explaining raids.

He also said dusk vigil is hard.

He also said Midas would be "between Second and Final Coil", so while it's fair to say Yoshida's assessment of difficulty is often out-of-step with public perception, it definitely seems to cut both ways.

But the important thing honestly isn't Yoshida at all--He's the one face we consistently get on the game, he sets the direction, but he doesn't make the individual fights. The biggest hype point for Beyond Savage is Kenji Sudo, the guy who basically made all the best fights:
nekokuma004-9.jpg

I don't really take Yoshida's statements on difficulty on face value anymore, but if he's giving Sudo room to run and a directive to make us suffer, it's the best shot the game has at delivering on Actually/Super/Epic/Beyond Savage. I think skepticism remains healthy, and I'm incredibly curious to know their target for people actually running the damn thing, but what little information we have on what's going into actually making the fight is kind of encouraging that it'll have bite.

iammeiam

All I'm saying is his slide specifies in red text MOG EX is not his fault. He can't be all bad.

(I also have a longer thing about thinking ARR leveling dungeons are basically a different game at this point but not even I care enough to go through all the words.)

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I mean it's basically the same thing only with aoe markers and with a combat system that doesn't hate melee.

Aurum Vale, Cutter's Cry, and whatever the other one was used to be the good dungeons, rest in peace.

Squishy3

Eh, they did a little better in SB all around for dungeons. The level 63 dungeon's probably the weakest out of the leveling dungeons, and the two post-game ones are kinda ehh, but I enjoyed every other one a lot.

MechaX

Aurum Vale is a good dungeon. Probably one of the few good dungeons this game has in the first place.

Aurum Vale... good dungeon... Nah, especially not with even larger rooms of nothing mobs, puke yellow everywhere or full gray, and lame bosses and shit music.

Now Pharos Sirus, now that was a great dungeon! Too bad it hit folks like a grown ass man on release and most people just skipped it when they could.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Aurum Vale... good dungeon... Nah, especially not with even larger rooms of nothing mobs, puke yellow everywhere or full gray, and lame bosses and shit music.

Now Pharos Sirus, now that was a great dungeon! Too bad it hit folks like a grown ass man on release and most people just skipped it when they could.

Yes, large rooms, where you have to be careful and think of what to pull instead of just taking carefully prepositioned stuff to grind. Mobs with priority! Mobs that you might want to leave alive for extra exp or just burn down if you ain't go not time for that!

Pharos had interesting stuff in it but it was already a flattened line.

Sibylus

Banned
Did Brayflox's Longstop the other day with the wife. The dragon fight at the end is some cool shit, and how it interrupts the boss fight before that Monster Hunter style is awesome af

Call me crazy, but I like the Longstop too, and particularly if the goo aggro isn't perfect and the fight turns into a game of the floor is lava. More stress, yes yes
crazy.gif

iammeiam

Bardam's Mettle is probably the strongest hallway dungeon they've done in a while, IMO, but there is a pretty clear shift in design direction in ARR. Dungeons become a lot more strictly functional, and the Toto Rak/AV/Braylon/DD style of more sprawling with optional pulls becomes a lot more focused. A lot of ARR stuff walks a line between, but by Keeper we're firmly in the hallway dungeon phase. Which makes sense as things eventually evolved to heavily rely on repetition meaning people would favor quick in grinding.

SB's dungeons are pretty solid at what they are (I continue to respect what the second Bardam's boss is trying to do), but they're definitely not trying to be what AV was.

Top Bottom