• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV and FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 Active Time Report [Jump Festa 2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but I look at this and I look at Tales and I have to shake my head at Namco. What the heck man?

I don't see a Tales game ever getting the budget to make a game anywhere near as ambitious. Closest we got was Vesperia (Which was admittedly pretty damned great, but still.)

Aeana

I'm sorry, but I look at this and I look at Tales and I have to shake my head at Namco. What the heck man?

Yes, I too am shocked that Namco didn't want to spend 8+ years on a single game that still doesn't have a release in sight. What the heck, Namco?

wmlk

I don't see a Tales game ever getting a budget to make a game anywhere near as ambitious. Closest we got was Vesperia (Which was admittedly pretty damned great, but still.)

Right, and my problem is that they aren't ambitious. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

When I see something as ambitious as this, it's honestly inspiring. Namco is making loads of money and I hate seeing how they regressed from Vesperia for production value.

Part of their ability to make so much money is to not gamble on big budget games. Their development cycle allows them to put out a steady flow of very successful Tales games. Yes, they aren't blowing away anyone visually. But would they really sell much better if they looked significantly better? I really doubt it.

wmlk

OK, I'm not blaming Tales for making money. I just like seeing highly ambitious stuff.

And seeing something like Vesperia and not seeing anything evolved from that is disappointing to me. I'm just speaking about the production values and nothing else.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't think Namco needs to change its output. Reused assets aside (every port in Xillia lol) and drab dungeons at times aside, I'd rather take quantity over quality from games like Tales. Getting something to play every two years or so with modest production values is pretty sweet.

(That whole PS4 toeing though...)

OK, I'm not blaming Tales for making money. I just like seeing highly ambitious stuff.

And seeing something like Vesperia and not seeing anything evolved from that is disappointing to me. I'm just speaking about the production values and nothing else.

Zesteria looks plenty ambitious, by Tales's standards. Keeping the same production values, but expanded in scope and scale.

wmlk

Zesteria looks plenty ambitious, by Tales's standards. Keeping the same production values, but expanded in scope and scale.

Yeah it does, it's a step in the right direction. Again, knowing that Vesperia was a 2008 game and I was really impressed by it really gives me a bad impression on the newer games.

That's all.

Falk

that puzzling face

Yeah, nailed what I was trying to say in a better way. I'd rather have more content than more polish once in a while.

(Zestiria looks p damned polished for a Tales game don't get me wrong)

I don't think Namco needs to change its output. Reused assets aside (every port in Xillia lol) and drab dungeons at times aside, I'd rather take quantity over quality from games like Tales. Getting something to play every two years or so with modest production values is pretty sweet.

My thoughts exactly. Tales is my "comfort food" JRPG series, for lack of a better term.

They actually devolved lol, Vesperia is the best looking one .

Tale games could spent like 3 more months in development . All of the tales games have cut content hidden on the disk lol , 3 months should be enough for mos of them to be completed.

Vesperia was also a moneyhatted game by Microsoft so that's probably where the extra budget comes from for visuals.

Also, I thought people didn't care about graphics?
/jk

wmlk

They actually devolved lol, Vesperia is the best looking one .

Tale games could spent like 3 more months in development . All of the tales games have cut content hidden on the disk lol , 3 months should be enough for mos of them to be completed.

Dunno if I agree with that, but they come out frequently and they make money. They do their job.

JoJoSono

Banned
Tales games are so bland and this point they all blendtogether in thier blandness. It would be nice to see an actual shake up in the art direction and design of Tales games rather then them continuing to shit out frogettable games that I can't even tell apart. It's not like Tales games sell terribly in Japan. There's really no excuse for the meager production values of Xillia. No excuse for the terribly lazy level design and then the complete shameful re-use of it in 2.

I think I would care about visuals in a visual medium. It's also not a simple "things have to have top tier visuals" argument. It's more how developers work with thier tech. It's not like any of Grasshoppers games have had top tier graphics, but the style and direction of things like No More Heroes and Killer is Dead made up for it. One of my favorite thing in Nier( a game I dislike) was how when you entered some buildings it went toa 2d view. That's something I've always thought more jrpgs should use for indoors. Catherine was probably a low budget game, but it sure had nice visuals thanks to the art direction. It's not like most Atlus' PS2 rpgs were AAA games, but again they knew how to make the best of thier art and presentation so they all looked pretty good.

wmlk

I feel like I need to do something right now. This was honestly an inspiring trailer to see. The kind of stuff you dream of. Haven't ever felt this way from vidya.

I wouldn't say Tales devolved in graphics, but Tales don't have the visual/asset quality to choose the current style they have without feeling rough around the edges. They're not at the the quality of CC2 with the Naruto games, of ArcSys with GGXrd in terms of '"translating anime art to 3D models."

They kinda need to re-establish their approach of their character modelling. It's not bad, but it's not at the level where it could be.

Falk

that puzzling face
I wouldn't say Tales devolved in graphics, but Tales don't have the visual/asset quality to choose the current style they have without feeling rough around the edges. They're not at the the quality of CC2 with the Naruto games, of ArcSys with GGXrd in terms of '"translating anime art to 3D models."

They kinda need to re-establish their approach of their character modelling. It's not bad, but it's not at the level where it could be.

Eh, to be fair, I'm not sure how feasible GGXrd's production values is in a predominantly over-the-shoulder perspective. The amount of customized e.g. perspective skewing, shadow direction, custom shadow maps, heck, even eye sizes tailored to one specific angle just to get that look is mind boggling.

I do wish that they adopted the style Valkyria Chronicles has, canvas filter aside.

Graphics can help a game, but if the game sucks to play, it's still a bad game no matter how amazing it looks.

FFXV looks amazing now, and we can kinda create some idea of what it's gonna play like in our head, but if it turns out really boring to play that will be a big bummer. When it was Versus XIII the one gameplay video they showed looked like a mature PS3 Kingdom Hearts game, which I would have been more than happy to play. Now it looks more like a FF Type 0 game. Having never got around to playing that PSP fan translation, I'm excited to try FF Type 0 HD to somewhat percolate an idea of how FFXV may play like since they are from the Hajime Tabata.

Reveirg

(That whole PS4 toeing though...)

Some more effort on the music and sound would be nice too. It's the main thing that bothers me with the series. I think they're already a step in the right direction by making Sakuraba share his duties with Go Shiina on Zestiria.

wmlk

Just saw a tweet about my post. It's not a crime to want high fidelity. I'm not the only one as you can see. No, I'm not telling Namco to announce a game 10 years before release.

Graphics can help a game, but if the game sucks to play, it's still a bad game no matter how amazing it looks.

FFXV looks amazing now, and we can kinda create some idea of what it's gonna play like in our head, but if it turns out really boring to play that will be a big bummer. When it was Versus XIII the one gameplay video they showed looked like a mature PS3 Kingdom Hearts game, which I would have been more than happy to play. Now it looks more like a FF Type 0 game. Having never got around to playing that PSP fan translation, I'm excited to try FF Type 0 HD to somewhat percolate an idea of how FFXV may play like since they are from the Hajime Tabata.

I've played Type-0, and although it looks very similar, there's not much that's the same that I see here outside of the standard melee attacks.

The mobility is what makes this different. I have major concerns about the AI, though.

Yes. This tech demo is a consolation to the people who won't be able to get a first-press copy of Type-0 HD for the Duscae demo.

W1VqoQa.png

Too obscure?

Falk

that puzzling face
Some more effort on the music and sound would be nice too. It's the main thing that bothers me with the series. I think they're already a step in the right direction by making Sakuraba share his duties with Go Shiina on Zestiria.

You're gonna love Zestiria's music

DA70Hco.gif

Damn! Nice trailer! Got my excitement up a bit again. Nice to see some new locations. Also, it's really awesome that they are giving us dual audio on the demo!

Also, what's with this Tales talk. Tales is a much more consistently great franchise than Final Fantasy and Zestiria will likely be better than XV... Ugh what am I even doing. This is a FF thread about a new FF trailer let's not derail it for crying out loud.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mechanic girl is A+++.

Guy with the red cape still looks like a clown.

I've played Type-0, and although it looks very similar, there's not much that's the same that I see here outside of the standard melee attacks.

The mobility is what makes this different.

Mobility? are you referring to his warp sword, the fancy dodges? Honestly, I'm just saying there is obviously gonna be similar design choices since it's from Tabata.

wmlk

Mobility? are you referring to his warp sword, the fancy dodges? Honestly, I'm just saying there is obviously gonna be similar design choices since it's from Tabata.

That's exactly what I'm referring to.

And yeah, it'll play similar. I'm a bit worried about the gameplay.

Haly

I just hope they make the AI move a bit more.

I don't need to be mobbed Dynasty Warriors style, but give them the illusion of agency at least.

Right now they're just standing around waiting to get punked by N'sync.

I don't need to be mobbed Dynasty Warriors style, but give them the illusion of agency at least.

I lol'ed. And I agree. The dudes just standing there holding the flagpole don't exactly help me suspend my disbelief.

Famassu

I just hope they make the AI move a bit more.

It's pretty standard for not all enemies in action games to attack you at the same time (that would be somewhat annoying), though the flag-holders are a bit too nonchalant about their friends being slaughtered even taking that into account. That said, the goblins & behemoths and other enemies have seemed fairly active & aggressive in earlier videos so I don't think that will be too much of a problem, not to even mention it might just be something they are still working on for the AI. And even in this trailer, at least a few of the enemis are clearly attacking the group since one of the AI characters is down to 41HPs at one point.

Falk

that puzzling face
Guys I got it

By JRPG logic the flag holders in the back... summon more enemies

probably summon more flag holders to stand around and do nothing

Haly

Right. Like I said they don't need to strictly attack you, but they should shuffle around a bit and look at you or menace youour even cower.

I dont want to fight the terra cotta army, just asking for some situational awareness.

Falk

that puzzling face
Right. Like I said they don't need to strictly attack you, but they should shuffle around a bit and look at you or menace youour even cower.

I dont want to fight the terra cotta army, just asking for some situational awareness.

Alternatively those Niflheim soldiers queued USEast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom