• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmypython

Question about the challenges during battles... If you don't complete it, is it gone for good (along with the AP you can get) or can you try them again later on different enemies?

not sure on this one since I completed every time so far . maybe someone can answer or I will pay attention next time.

not sure on this one since I completed every time so far . maybe someone can answer or I will pay attention next time.

I'm pretty sure you could repeat them in the demo. There were definitely a few that I didn't do that popped up in a later battle. I'm assuming the game just randomly generates those and you either get them or you don't.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So I'm guessing the with the latest impressions, those who've reached the second half are thinking the story is picking up and is decent-good?

I've heard wildly mixed impressions about the story of the second half. I'm not getting the impression it's a truly solid experience. I hope I'll think it is, of course, and I can be a somewhat easy please when I want to be, heh. But while some people are into it and at least there seems to be moderate consensus that the bulk of the last few chapters is pretty good, a lot of people are not thrilled.

I'm pretty sure you could repeat them in the demo. There were definitely a few that I didn't do that popped up in a later battle. I'm assuming the game just randomly generates those and you either get them or you don't.

So far they have never reappeared when I failed to complete them.

Hmm, I mainly just don't want to miss chances at getting AP to learn new skills lol :(

I've heard wildly mixed impressions about the story of the second half. I'm not getting the impression it's a truly solid experience. I hope I'll think it is, of course, and I can be a somewhat easy please when I want to be, heh. But while some people are into it and at least there seems to be moderate consensus that the bulk of the last few chapters is pretty good, a lot of people are not thrilled.

Honestly this is like every game to exist. I wouldn't worry too much. Also has anyones game crashed on them yet?

Socivol

Honestly this is like every game to exist. I wouldn't worry too much. Also has anyones game crashed on them yet?
Hasn't crashed but I get some weird graphical glitches when Prompto uses his ability or when I complete a parry. The screen gets all pixelated for a second. Playing in the pro in high mode which I think is the issue

Falk

that puzzling face
Is the Crown update available now?

It feels like the 7 gig patch is the crown update but maybe stuff unlocks at different times?

Like mp3 player is in for players, maybe warp is a feature that unlocks later or post game (lol).

Obtuse answer:

Unless your exploration music sounds like this *** WARNING SPOILERS IN RELATED VIDS WARNING *** you're not on the Crown Update patch.

Clarification (Thanks)

So, this is how the music sounds in the current patch, which was available to people 12 days before the actual release (12 days before November 29):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSLJqJ0Zn4

Falk is saying that the Crown Update will have the music sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AuCmzwH_QI

Sorry for the roundabout answer - I don't actually know what's downloadable right now, but that's one surefire way of telling. This should play when walking around the field in the morning without getting into combat or opening the menu.

Toth

Think of it this way: a lot of reviewers don't even have copies yet.

Maybe they are cracking down on certain 'smaller' sites or reviewers that were very critical of their games in the past? I don't know why they are being that way considering the positivity the game has been showing in early previews and now within the impressions.

Kyoufu

Obtuse answer:

Clarification (Thanks)

Sorry for the roundabout answer - I don't actually know what's downloadable right now, but that's one surefire way of telling. This should play when walking around the field in the morning without getting into combat or opening the menu.

Well, it seems that parts of the Crown update are live, whilst others are not.

For example, the current version does not have the Gallery section displaying Ignis's cooking and Noctis's fishing information yet, but it has the monster whistle and some other features.

Bizarre stuff, if you ask me.

bigmac996

Obtuse answer:

Clarification (Thanks)

Oh damn, so the final patch might not be released yet? I wonder if it'd include the camera adjustments, or if the current patch already does. That's my biggest worry at the moment.

Toth

For example, the current version does not have the Gallery section displaying Ignis's cooking and Noctis's fishing information yet, but it has the monster whistle and some other features.

Yes, I can report this is seems to be the case.

Obtuse answer:

Clarification (Thanks)

What's the dif between the tracks? Sounds the same to me.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Honestly this is like every game to exist. I wouldn't worry too much.

As long as it's not:

1. Cringey like Star Ocean 4
2. Confusing and convoluted like FFXIII
3. Incredibly short and unfulfilling like Star Ocean 5

Then it gets an OK in my book.

As long as it's not:

1. Cringey like Star Ocean 4
2. Confusing and convoluted like FFXIII
3. Incredibly short and unfulfilling like Star Ocean 5

Then it gets an OK in my book.

1. I didn't mind Star Ocean but I feel FFXV is way above it so far in that regard.
2. So far I've found it much easier to follow then XIII by a long shot
3. Well I'm sure it depends on how much you do in the game but seeing as I'm just over 6 hours and only still in chapter 2. I think it will last me plenty long.

Okay, hype returned. I'm convinced this will be a good game now, maybe not all time amazing but enjoyable.
Also I heard that there was barely anything to FFXV before Tabata took over and the development was kind of a depressing shitshow and the team working on it had incredibly low morale so why do people assume Nomura's vision wouldve been better?

Lucentto

Banned
For anyone that has played the full game and likes the combat, can you explain in detail why you like it? What is it that you think makes it enjoyable?

I've played the Judgement demo for over an hour. I don't see myself enjoying the combat much based on that.

I have already written off the story as ranging from mediocre to trash. So I would like to determine whether or not at least the combat can be good enough.

Ruff

Does each boss have their own boss theme or is it a general one theme for all thing (Except the final boss I suppose?)

I need a lot of Shimomura, and I love bosses that have their own special themes. Bonus points if it's a cooler version of their standard theme

Okay, hype returned. I'm convinced this will be a good game now, maybe not all time amazing but enjoyable.
Also I heard that there was barely anything to FFXV before Tabata took over and the development was kind of a depressing shitshow and the team working on it had incredibly low morale so why do people assume Nomura's vision wouldve been better?

Some people just prefer what the trailers showed of the game back with Nomura was in charge.

Ran rp

Obtuse answer:

Clarification (Thanks)

this may end up being my favorite ff ost.

Weird. I can see Ignis cooking, Noctis fish and Prompto photos in menu. But I don't see any bestiary for monsters though :/

sappyday

Iris as a party member is amazing. I really like that she tries to avoid the action but will still help out by giving you potions or by using a technique. Wish she was permanent.

Ran rp

Iris as a party member is amazing. I really like that she tries to avoid the action but will still help out by giving you potions or by using a technique. Wish she was permanent.

how does she use the moogle? in the pr screenshot it looked like she smacks monsters around with it.

sappyday

PSY・S;225417926 said:
how does she use the moogle? in the pr screenshot it looked like she smacks monsters around with it.
She doesn't really fight, she'll just help the team by healing them or just cheering them on. She'll use the moogle whenever you do a link. And yea she just smacks the enemy with it. It's cute too cause after she does it Noct pats her on the head and she twirls.

Sylas

For anyone that has played the full game and likes the combat, can you explain in detail why you like it? What is it that you think makes it enjoyable?

I've played the Judgement demo for over an hour. I don't see myself enjoying the combat much based on that.

I have already written off the story as ranging from mediocre to trash. So I would like to determine whether or not at least the combat can be good enough.

About 15 hours in, so take what I'm saying with that context.

There's a fair amount of depth involved in the combat that you're just flat-out missing in the Judgment demo unless you speak JP. Link attacks, for instance, make positioning Noctis important on more difficult enemies. They do more damage and have a higher chance at knocking off appendages.

Beyond that, there's a heavy bit of tactical usage of the Warp and Warpstrike going on to keep Noctis in the fray as much as possible while retaining movement. Once you get good at it, Noctis is zipping around the battlefield.

Enemies are weak to different weapon tpes so you change them around mid-combat to make sure you can actually kill stuff. Along with that, there are different strikes associated with holding a direction. For instance, if you hold O and Left/Right on the L-stick while fighting, Noctis will dodge around an enemy to help you get behind things easier. Each weapon has 3-4 different "combos" it can do.

Allies get more link specials that increase their utility. Ignis' Regroup is a lifesaver whilst Gladios' Dawnhammer does NASTY damage and can stagger an enemy.

On the topic of stagger: If you break certain body parts (by targeting them) on larger enemies you can induce a staggered state and that allows you and your allies a period of freetime to do a lot of damage.

Then there's the Elemancy/Magic--and it's the biggest thing you're missing in the demo if you don't read Japanese. The depth involved in making appropriate spells is pretty interesting. You can add things like Stop or Quadcast or Poison to the Fire/Blizzard/Thunder spells as well as turning them into personal cure spells. Once you get enough magic slots you can have situational magic ready to be equipped whenever you need them.

All-in-all there's a lot going on and it's far more complex than the demo makes it seem. Keep in mind it's on easy, so there's absolutely no challenge involved. The full game can be incredibly challenging, even on level-appropriate (or below your level) monsters. If you're looking for P* combat you won't find it here. It's probably my favorite ARPG combat that isn't mash-y but I think a lot of people will continue to think of it as KH2-like and I don't think that's 100% wrong. It's different but still similarish.

Do you think it's better to watch Kingslaive before buying the game ?
My recommendation is to watch Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, yeah. It gives things better context and helps you gain some attachment to the world that--admittedly--the game doesn't do a fantastic job building initially. The dynamic between the four is great but it's all the game is banking on so far, really. That and some smaller levels of intrigue. It reminds me of a D&D/tabletop game in that regard. Worldbuilding/Plot happens very slowly while character interaction takes the forefront for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom