• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ruff

Fh0pGdg.gif

Clouds behind the sun 2/10 graphix

rataven

The little background cutscenes that play during the level-up screen are a pretty awesome detail.

Noct apparently just got his butt kicked by Prompto in a game of darts. Too cute.

oti

Banned
Just finished it. 28h in.

I like it, it's weird. But it could be so much better. And some of the fights and especially chapter
are TERRIBLE.

Not a fan of the hidden door dungeons so far.

The combat, while good for a RPG, isn't satisfying or deep enough to warrant a 100 floor Bloody Palace - style dungeon.
Wait which dungeons do this? Thus far they've all been
empty rooms with an item in the middle of them for me. (playing on normal difficulty)

jb1234

I really hate that this game doesn't have a feature where you can change the time (aside from starting a night time hunt). I just made it to one of the optional dungeons and you have to wait until night to get in. Of course, it's so far off the beaten path that it would almost take longer to go all the way back to a diner to force night time than it would be to just wait.

Dimmle

Ch.
is
oppressive and dull and doesn't represent any of the larger game's positive qualities
but it will never be as offensive or outright terrible as
Costlemark

Pilgrimzero

Beat it. Choppy story telling and some real outright mistakes but the game play that's exists is fun.

They did a good job with the ending though even it again suffered from the previous choppy storytelling.

Heck I'll add that the ending makes up for all the shortcomings

Ch.
is
oppressive and dull and doesn't represent any of the larger game's positive qualities
but it will never be as offensive or outright terrible as
Costlemark

I think that's the point of (most) the chapter.
You're supposed to feel powerless and alone. You're supposed to feel forced to put on the Ring (playing into Ardyn's plan) and struggle through. So that way when you do get everything back by the end of the chapter you will better appreciate your friends and the power afforded to you by the Crystal.

But that's just how I interpreted it...

Dimmle

I think that's the point of (most) the chapter.
You're supposed to feel powerless and alone. You're supposed to feel forced to put on the Ring (playing into Ardyn's plan) and struggle through. So that way when you do get everything back by the end of the chapter you will better appreciate your friends and the power afforded to you by the Crystal.

But that's just how I interpreted it...

I understood the intention and I appreciated the overall effect after
the reunion
but, like many have said, I think the same effect could be achieved with less tedium. There just don't seem to be very many ideas in play over the sequence.

That said, I did enjoy the chapter's story beats, particularly its ending.

Lynx_7

I really hate that this game doesn't have a feature where you can change the time (aside from starting a night time hunt). I just made it to one of the optional dungeons and you have to wait until night to get in. Of course, it's so far off the beaten path that it would almost take longer to go all the way back to a diner to force night time than it would be to just wait.
Yeah, I hate that you can't just skip to any time of the day. I usually just browse Gaf while I wait

Alright, who wants to explain what I just witnessed storywise? Or at least point me to a good synopsis.

EDIT: Oh, and I enjoyed the
Chapter 13
, but it was definitely a little long.

the reunion
but, like many have said, I think the same effect could be achieved with less tedium. There just don't seem to be very many ideas in play over the sequence.

I agree, even though I didn't mind 13. I wish the dungeon was more visually interesting and there was actually more meaningful story revelation built in. I can't escape the comparison to the Shinra Mansion in VII.

I think I had to do that quest like 8-10 times. Make sure you are using a food buff that gives 50% item drop boost. Not sure where is the recipe or how to get it, but Ignis can cook it when you camp, provided you have it.

thanks, i just got it after several tries!

looking for rainbow frogs...

damn it looks hard, no hints =/

Mediking

Gotta admit.... when I was level 26 and took down those lvl 37 monsters in that jungle thing for Sonia... it felt crazy good. Its where I found that awesome Thunderbolt weapon.

And I've been doing multiple Dave and Sonia quests... this better be building to something exciting. At least Takka dropped the bomb that Cid got him his job.

Vyv from Lestallum gives huge Gil. He's like the only guy who actually gives a good amount of Gil.

Ourobolus

Banned
TIME has an interesting review of the game.

I say interesting, but I am mostly interested of the fact that such a huge publication reviewed it!

I'm reading that and the guy who wrote it sounds like someone I would never, ever, want to hear speak in real life.

Actual quotes:
And the creatures inhabiting Final Fantasy XV‘s Earth-like expanse are downright Boschian.
In the game’s largest city, Venetian gondolas motor along waterways vaulted over rococo facades encircled by Niagara-scale waterfalls like a baroque version of Final Fantasy X‘s Zanarkand.

I understand these words, but...sheesh.

Croash

Wew, Costlemark done!

Had I ventured inside without prior tips from Gaf and a guide I probably would have given up when it started disrespecting my time. Glad I didn't, because it was fun enough!

Atmosphere was top notch, enemies were hard enough to encourage me to experiment with magic and the boss battle was pretty satisfying!

Now that this has been taken care of, maybe I should finally meet
Iris at the Leville
before I max everything out :S

Edit: Oh god, it gave me the most splendid of selfies. Thank you based Prompto.

Jeffrey

Wish there was AI controls. I feel like prompto is the Donald of this game. Dude is always in danger status. Like wtf.

Zafir

Wish there was AI controls. I feel like prompto is the Donald of this game. Dude is always in danger status. Like wtf.

I had more problems with Ignis honestly.

Prompto is ranged so it meant he at least kept his distance slightly more.

Gbraga

Did quite a bit of exploring today, got my third royal weapon (Shield of the Just), found a new dungeon that was supposed to be level 28 but is full of lvl 40 assholes, got my ass kicked by a bunch of Coeurls and found another royal tomb,
but this one was empty, with a message telling me that the hunters believe daemons took the Greatsword to Costlemark.

I think I'll go back to Lestallum, turn in a few more thing and continue with the main quest, I want to unlock Armiger :C

Just got Prompto's trophy, level 10 :D

Gladio is level 8 already, too, which is cool. Ignis and Noctis are legging behind at 7.

I'm not sure what the point of it is honestly. At that point, you're already probably fast travelling everywhere.

Never.

Hate fast travel.

Even crazier to think that I pretty much hated the game before I played it.

Really? Why did you hate it?

DeSolos

the reunion

Agreed.
I just want to say that I think the Omen trailer perfectly demonstrates this situation, and portrayed the helplessness in a way that was both powerful and engaging. Focusing on injinuity rather than standing in place and trying not to get hit.

I'm sure it was a dev time issue, but with a little more substance(at least one cool set piece during that low point), more choices, and faster pacing I think the idea would have worked.

I'm personally a fan of exploring other genres. I think the issue was mostly execution.

Kyoufu

Did the secret dungeon today. Incredible stuff. Frustrating and rewarding. Best dungeon I've played through in a long time.

Costlemark Tower, however. Nope. Fuck that place.

Gbraga

I only used fast travel like once and it was by accident. And one other time when I ran out of gas, lol. It ruins immersion for me. Plus, I never get tired of all that old FF music.

I used it by mistake once too :((

It still hurts.

It was during a main quest mission, too, so there's a good chance I missed on unique dialogue >_>

I'll get it on NG+, it's fine.

I tend to avoid fast travelling as much as possible. How much I can do it depends entirely on how interesting the world is to me, as well as how much I enjoy traversing it. So far, I'm having a blast planning my journeys around actual travel, and it ties into the game's main themes so well.

Plus, it helps that I won't have to deal with a massive grind to max out their skills, I'll probably get to the end of the game (or at least post game) with everyone maxed out already.

Brotherhood's soundtrack has the best driving themes, imo :D

The game's original driving music is the worst, though, I have no idea what they were thinking with that.

fionel

Was doing the hunt for 3 necromancers near costlemark and boy that battle encapsulates every flaw in the battle system. There are more mobs than I could count virtually enclosed in that little arena and that made the camera and lock-on absolutely useless. It was a total mess and the only time i felt like I had any control was when I managed to run a few meters away from the mobs and perform a warp strike. Even then I couldn't choose what to target. My bros died so many times that it triggered summon 3 times for me but I have failed to summon every single time b/c I was either getting wailed or petrified until the summon trigger went away.

Another weird thing is Aranea suddenly showed up from an airship to supposedly assist me (thought she and the other guests only appear after I beat the game - which I haven't yet), but she was nowhere to be found in the fight and I wasn't able to use her skill either.

It was also the first time I made myself try using wait mode, but due to my own lack of knowledge on how it works it didn't make things better at all.

Luckily I had a ton of curatives and won by attrition. Wasn't thrilled or fun in the slightest...

True Fire

I think it'll be interesting to see what kind of DLC structure FFXV takes.

We already know Tabata is going beyond the 6 planned DLC packs, and his directorial style seems to be "that's a cool idea, let's do it!", so I'm expecting something a la Destiny where we'll be seeing this game at E3 for the next two years.

I take back everything mean I said about Chapter 13.

Pitioss Ruins is probably the most frustrating gameplay sequence I've had the disfortune of playing in a long time. Who thought it was a good idea to have a platform based dungeon when the jumping and controlling your character is so bad. The only thing I would say is that dungeon looked pretty cool.

vareon

I used it by mistake once too :((

It still hurts.

It was during a main quest mission, too, so there's a good chance I missed on unique dialogue >_>

I'll get it on NG+, it's fine.

I tend to avoid fast travelling as much as possible. How much I can do it depends entirely on how interesting the world is to me, as well as how much I enjoy traversing it. So far, I'm having a blast planning my journeys around actual travel, and it ties into the game's main themes so well.

Plus, it helps that I won't have to deal with a massive grind to max out their skills, I'll probably get to the end of the game (or at least post game) with everyone maxed out already.

Brotherhood's soundtrack has the best driving themes, imo :D

The game's original driving music is the worst, though, I have no idea what they were thinking with that.

Fast travel here doesn't really ruin immersion here because daytime is pretty safe. Just imagine Noctis fell asleep lol. Plus all sorts of immersion was out of whack after chapter
. Nighttime is different though, but then you can upgrade the car to avoid Daemons at night.

I want to start a new game but I'll wait until NG+ and for them to patch in more
story for chapter 13.

Lol.. I've never Platinum a game in all my years of gaming and I'm at 60% right now so I'm considering taking it all the way.

I miss this franchise. While I have my own issues with this game I'm glad I decided to return to the series. Great game overall.

Geg

I can kind of get the complaints about chapter 13 but honestly I was fine with most of it. Certain areas from FFXIII like the fifth ark and the wasteland area in chapter 4 were more of a boring slog to go through than that.

Also, I'm going to visit Costlemark for the first time tonight, wish me luck

DeaDPo0L84

Costlemark Tower is really souring me on the post game and has me close to shelving the game for good. Grrrrr.

I had to take a couple of breaks from this particular dungeon. I was getting really frustrated and by the time I reached the boss I was really low on supplies. Luckily a few seconds into the fight Ramuh shows up and kills it within seconds. It salvaged that entire dungeon for me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The post below doesn't contain any story spoilers, just some mid/post game activities.

I got a platinum trophy last week and have been slowly doing the rest of the post-game content over the weekend, namely sidequests (I don't think I have any more left aside from a few post game dungeon-related ones), mob hunts and the
big post game dungeon
Still not level 99, but defeating the
level 120 legends
wasn't as hard as I expected, even though I was only level 86. Sure, there was a lot of dying here and there, but nothing too bad.

The
big postgame puzzle dungeon
was a bit of a disappointment - some cool ideas, but in the end it felt like take from another game, which didn't gel that great with the rest. I had some fun there and it took me "only" 3 hours to clear, so that wasn't bad.

The stuff I have left are the few
chocobo races
which should've unlocked the last time I checked, some minor and a few lv 99 hunts and the biggest disappointment of all (which was a huge surprise to me) -
Sealed Dungeons.
Regarding that last thing -
I cleared 4 out of 8 of those dungeons and I guess I'll keep going? When I read about them being the biggest challenge in the game, I imagined big, well designed things, but instead I got a few copy and paste rooms and corridors with buffed enemies. Yawn.

Gbraga

Fast travel here doesn't really ruin immersion here because daytime is pretty safe. Just imagine Noctis fell asleep lol. Plus all sorts of immersion was out of whack after chapter
. Nighttime is different though, but then you can upgrade the car to avoid Daemons at night.

It's not really because of immersion or anything, I just enjoy the gameplay loop of exploring, fighting, planning my trips and quests around the best route to take, taking in the scenery during long drives, riding the chocobos, camping at night... The roadtrip is the main draw for me, I would never take that away from myself with fast travel.

At least so far, maybe my mind will change by the time I have the airship, we'll see.

With the current loading times, though, I find it unlikely. If it's gonna take forever anyway, I'd rather take a bit longer but have fun doing it.

Top Bottom