• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally, Officially licensed PlayStation 4 Media Remote

where would you put it
Navigation, enter, volume, mute, and pause/play should always be right around where the thumb would naturally rest. Those are buttons that you're either going to use the most or want to easiest access to when you're sitting in the dark with your movie or show in progress. Sony is one of those companies that designs remotes like they've never used one.

artsi

Navigation, enter, volume, mute, and pause/play should always be right around where the thumb would naturally rest. Those are buttons that you're either going to use the most or want to easiest access to when you're sitting in the dark with your movie or show in progress. Sony is one of those companies that designs remotes like they've never used one.

I've always had Sony TV's and it feels very natural to me, matter of preference I guess.

Koren

Why would you put the volume button in a place like that? That's such an objectively bad idea.
I mostly agree with you, although I wouldn't control the volume with the remote of the DVD player, so I'm mostly fine with it (and often, the directions act as volume, too).

I'll stick with my Harmony one, though, although I miss BT/radio capabilities (and also color buttons and an open-source configuration program).

Circinus

That's a remote, all right.

I don't get why they couldn't make their own old media remote compatible with PS4, but maybe there are some technical details I don't know about. Even then, don't get why they wouldn't make their own Sony-branded remote for PS4 instead of licensing but whatever.

Fucking finally!

And that's a Sony remote alright. Big, ugly and with lots and lots of buttons. Universal Remote capabilities is nice, though.

Actually, no. Otherwise it wouldn't be an officially licensed PS4 remote.. (unlike the PS3 media remote, which is a Sony remote)

Edit: like it says in the link, it's a PDP remote licensed by SCEA for usage of PlayStation logos and PS4 compatibility..

Z3M0G

If I can control my Bell Fiberop TV receiver, my TV, volume on my Amp, AND my PS4 with that thing... this is a must-buy for me.

So long as there isn't a goddam notification on screen every time the thing connects/disconnects...

DavidDesu

Finally. While my TV remote does indeed control my PS4 it's still a bit haphazard, and also doesn't work in several media apps like iPlayer. I'm also not sure which button responds to which PS symbol button so for instance, in Netflix I can pause something, but I can't actually exit out for some reason. This controller is worth it for me if it works just like the PS3 one did on the PS3.

Get the media player sorted so it actually plays videos files (nothing I've put on there actually works which is ridiculous, just regular mp4 files etc!) and I'll be happy.

onQ123

Should have been more like this

remote-550x460.png

JP

I wonder if Sony will release their own remote too? I'm happy using CEC so it doesn't make any difference to me but I know that some people won't buy third party stuff like this.

EDIT:
Should add that I know that quality isn't as important with remotes but PDP's PS3 controllers were terrible. I suppose there's only so much they can do wrong with a remote though.

I've read that the PS4 is a bit of a bastard when it comes to BT support. Seems like it only supports 4 things at once and (so far) only official peripherals.

Ugly, over-sized, over-priced PDP crap. Charging $30 for a $10 remote.

Any chance an actual Sony remote ever gets released? Or this going to be it?

sector4

Is there an official Sony remote? Not terribly interested in a PDP one.

The Sony remote for the PS3 was fanastic, one touch to turn on the console, didn't need to "see" the PS3 because it was Bluetooth, and generally just a nice feeling remote.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is there an official Sony remote? Not terribly interested in a PDP one.
Nope, that's why there's excitement over this one.

I'll take what I can get at this point. This looks solid enough.

driver116

The bottom doesn't seem like the easiest location to find in a dark room?

Yikes. PDP doesn't exactly make the most reliable hardware.

Yeah I got duped into buying a few of their accessories thinking it was official Sony stuff. I don't like the branding Sony allows them to use because it looks almost legit.

That's why I bought an official Sony controller charging dock on amazon that was imported from Japan instead of the crap at BestBuy that's got attachments you need to clip onto them.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Sony remote for the PS3 was fanastic, one touch to turn on the console, didn't need to "see" the PS3 because it was Bluetooth, and generally just a nice feeling remote.
I think "one touch" to turn on the PS3 with the remote is honestly overstating the effort. If you breathed on the remote, the damn thing would turn on.

is the PS4 a better media player than the PS3 right now? i still use my PS3 as my default media player for PS3 media server - can this be used on the PS4 now? if so i will get it. Sony's machine is fantastic for all this kind of stuff. My XB1 remote is basically for netflix only.

Using Universal Media Server I would go out on a limb and say yes, it is a better media player. When it first launched is was atrocious but UMS updated its software and now it works like a charm with the PS4. Damn near all my media plays including .MKV

Even the lack of not being able to insert a disc into the PS4 is a moot point because it is able to read my disc drives on my PC with ease. I love how fast it scrubs without having to buffer or "catch up". It works 95 % of the time. There is some media that wont play and I'm not tech savvy enough to why. All I know its way better than my PS3 was natively.

I will have to look into this HDMI-CEC thing. Is it laggy compared to just using a DS4 though? That would be a deal breaker for me.

YES!!!!

This is amazing news! I love the remote for my ps3.

I've been waiting for this!

Record scratch/edit: Not first party? Sigh...better than nothing.

Top Bottom