• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally, Officially licensed PlayStation 4 Media Remote

javie3d

got mine, no it doesnt have any sort of dongle. Annoyed it didnt come with any batteries.

So far im loving it, my only wish is that they let you use the ch +- in vue. Hopefully in an update

Yeah I opened mine up and was like "Yo where dat dongle at?" No batteries is cheap though. C'mon man!

So happy they release some sort of official media remote! Bout time. No impressions yet though.

Sorry to bump this thread. However I'm looking to buy a remote for the PS4 in the UK and I'm struggling. It looks like the official PS4 remote has not been released here and I'm also struggling to find any third-party ones. This is really odd to me. Can anyone let me know if there are any third-party remotes and the best place to get them? I would buy official but it looks like there's no solid release date.

Bumping the thread. This thing is 19.99 at Best Buy right now. I picked one up because I just subscribed to PS Vue. Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

GobFather

Bumping the thread. This thing is 19.99 at Best Buy right now. I picked one up because I just subscribed to PS Vue. Yeah, it's pretty awesome.
I did the same. It helps with Vue. I didn't like putting the ps4 controller down and the r2&l2 button getting mashed accidently or the battery draining.

Shauni

It's also $20 on Amazon right now. So it's pretty good then? I guess I'll get it and switch my media stuff to PS4. I had the Roku stick for the longest, but with Vue taking up a lot of time I might as well just get a remote and keep things simple.

EDIT: Hold up, I'm looking at the reviews via Amazon and one saying there's no R1 button? You can't add shows to Vue's DVR without that

CamHostage

What about as a Blu-Ray player? Is there a consensus on that yet? I still use my PS3 for 3D and Blu-Ray, mainly because of the remote, but it'd be nice to be able to stick to one console for the majority of my media consumption.

(EDIT - got hooked in the necro-bump, but still, FYI Sony, fix your buttons. please...)

Not sure as a player per se (though it's loud as hell running a disc for me,) but just from the user control experience, it was pretty rough for me this weekend. They changed everything about the button layout on PS3 away for reasons that I cannot understand or get used to. They took play/pause off X onto O (X did cause some problems navigating PS3 BD menus, because the system would get confused whether you wanted to play or choose), so that's weird when you hit what you think is pause and nothing happens. Fast-forward/rewind is no longer on the sticks, now only the shoulders do that, which is okay except that you used to be able to vary the speed or just tap the stick back, now you have to commit 10x in one direction or another. They put a "swipe for 15 seconds" feature on the touchpad for quick rewind/ff, but it is the most unresponsive feature imaginable; for every 10 swipes it works maybe twice if you're lucky. Clicking the analog sticks won't switch Subtitle or Audio anymore. Triangle brings up some submenu that I think used to come up when you hit Option, I think Square is now the menu button? And of course PS4 still cannot resume-play some BD videos (although that's more a fault of the BD consortium screwing up the format than Sony.)

Just a lot of goofy button and feature choices that I'm struggling with. On the plus side, it plays 3D movies just fine now.

Rephin

It's also $20 on Amazon right now. So it's pretty good then? I guess I'll get it and switch my media stuff to PS4. I had the Roku stick for the longest, but with Vue taking up a lot of time I might as well just get a remote and keep things simple.

EDIT: Hold up, I'm looking at the reviews via Amazon and one saying there's no R1 button? You can't add shows to Vue's DVR without that

I'm pretty sure L1, L2, R1, and R2 are the Prev and Scan buttons. I think it does lack L3 and R3, though.

Also, yeah, it's pretty good. Leagues better than using the DualShock 4 as a media remote.

so is it trash or is it great? there is no in between

I've had it since around the time it came out and it's been fine for me. Battery's don't seem to last long though, might be my only major gripe. It gets the job done for most media functions, which is all I was after.

turbocat

so is it trash or is it great? there is no in between

I'd approach the trash territory, but it's more like...just okay. Functions fine with my TV, batteries die relatively quickly (about a week and a half of decent daily use), and not all apps/programs function properly with it. Hulu is the biggest offender...the circle button, which is back on the normal controller, doesn't function properly on the remote. When watching something on Hulu, you'd better be ready to marathon it, or you'll have to quit the Hulu app every time you want to switch shows.

Or I'm an idiot and don't know how to use the remote. One or the other. Final thought: it feels cheap and creaky. Not that the PS3 remote was of maximum superior build quality, but it was better than this thing.

Ashtar

I'd approach the trash territory, but it's more like...just okay. Functions fine with my TV, batteries die relatively quickly (about a week and a half of decent daily use), and not all apps/programs function properly with it. Hulu is the biggest offender...the circle button, which is back on the normal controller, doesn't function properly on the remote. When watching something on Hulu, you'd better be ready to marathon it, or you'll have to quit the Hulu app every time you want to switch shows.

Or I'm an idiot and don't know how to use the remote. One or the other. Final thought: it feels cheap and creaky. Not that the PS3 remote was of maximum superior build quality, but it was better than this thing.
Ok thanks guess I'll pass it was mainly for Hulu but I'll pass if it's booty

Son of a bitch I thought this was gonna be about a new remote not that piece of shit one.

Same lol.

I hate using my DS4 to watch stuff, the triggers always get pressed accidentally and it fast forwards and whatnot.

My Panasonic's TV remote works a bit....when I turn on the TV, it turns on the PS4 and I can navigate. But I can't go back to the main PS4 page

Top Bottom