• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally, Officially licensed PlayStation 4 Media Remote

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I'm in. The HDMI stuff never worked well with my setup, and the PS4 media apps are better than the apps on my theatre system

Maybe PDP could build a PS1 emulator for them, too

Yeah I got duped into buying a few of their accessories thinking it was official Sony stuff. I don't like the branding Sony allows them to use because it looks almost legit.

That's why I bought an official Sony controller charging dock on amazon that was imported from Japan instead of the crap at BestBuy that's got attachments you need to clip onto them.

PDP gets away with a lot because their Wii U accessories are the same way. The Packaging looks official and even has the Wii U logo, haha.

Arttemis

I would absolutely buy this if it were a learning remote, meaning I could point any of my IR remotes at the front of it and program any button to replicate any of the other remote's functions.

I just purchased the Sony RM-VLZ620 learning remote, which controls my Sony KDL55-W800b TV and Denon S700W receiver. The HDMI-CEC function on the TV controls everything on the PS4 (up, down, left, right, X, O, PS, Options), and I programmed profiles on the remote to have every function of the TV's original remote, the receivers original remote, and most importantly, I have a profile that mixes controls that controls everything you'd use on a typical day without having to switch profiles.

The hybrid profile is girlfriend approved, and just wouldn't be possible without having learning remote capabilities.

autoduelist

To those asking why they took so long, perhaps it's because a decent segment of the user base doesn't need one anymore thanks to many TVs (especially newer Smart TVs) having HDMI-CEC. My Samsung remote just 'works'... so while I bought a dedicated remote last gen I have no need this gen. So, Sony perhaps needed to wait for a bigger install base.

score01

It's been around for a long time. My 2008 Samsung TV supported it.

It was laggy as hell though. Haven't tried it yet with my newer TV.

I recently upgraded my 2007 Samsung for a 2014 model Sony. HDMI-CEC works great - no lag!

mackattk

Hopefully it doesn't turn on the PS4 by using any button. I hated that about the PS3 remote. It would turn on by accident all the frickin time.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Is there an official Sony remote? Not terribly interested in a PDP one.

The Sony remote for the PS3 was fanastic, one touch to turn on the console, didn't need to "see" the PS3 because it was Bluetooth, and generally just a nice feeling remote.

eWsOP8A.png

One-touch of any button to turn on the console just ensured that my cat could do it, so I'd prefer that feature hit the cutting room floor.

Other than that, yeah I agree.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hopefully this means that sony will open things up for other universal remotes...so that they can be used to power on the system. they already half-way there but support is still a bit half-assed on my harmony.

currently can't power on the ps4. and powering down is spotty. instead of just powering down the system it performs a series of commands (i.e. guide, down, down, down, select power off, etc.) lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
At long last.

Why can't I use my existing PS3 remote with my PS4?

hopefully this means that sony will open things up for other universal remotes...so that they can be used to power on the system. they already half-way there but support is still a bit half-assed on my harmony.

currently can't power on the ps4. and powering down is spotty. instead of just powering down the system it performs a series of commands (i.e. guide, down, down, down, select power off, etc.) lol

That's quite the work around, using a macro to turn it off.

Bizarre.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm getting really sick of seeing the message that the controller got disconnected when watching movies. This is my way out, but I really don't understand why they think we need to see that pop-up. It's nothing but an annoyance.

I think I'm going to need this. I never know what I'm pressing on the DS4. I think it's different from a digital rental and a BluRay which confuses the F' out of me.

stryke

you're back!

anyway I use the Sony SideView app for my phone for all the different remotes Sony has. Everyone with a Sony TV/Media device should try it out. I wonder if it will be updated in the future to include PS4 capabilities...since you know, bluetooth.

Omg this just reminded how stupid it is that the PS App is useless for media.

fritzo

It's funny to see this thread today. I've had this remote in my Amazon wish list since June. And I read about it on GAF of all places. I'm happy its finally coming.

neoism

$30 for a remote? Nah, Sony.

yeah always used my ps3 controller works prefect...
also they should make the media player on the ps4 worth using first still doesnt play as good/many files as ps3.... plus i have yet to use my ps4 to watch a bluray... ps3s is better...

I didnt see this thread before but I just stumbled upon it on Amazon. Got excited and preordered.
But wait what is this about?
Bluetooth® communication with PS4 via included adapter

Why does it need an adapter? Is it an adapter on the remote or one you have to plug into the ps4? It should just work through bluetooth, if I have to plug any shit in then I'm out.

Optional infrared receiver when placing bluetooth adapter out of sight? It says that thanks to the included bluetooth, all programmable remotes are compatible with PS4. What exactly is this?

FTF

I didnt see this thread before but I just stumbled upon it on Amazon. Got excited and preordered.

Why does it need an adapter? Is it an adapter on the remote or one you have to plug into the ps4? It should just work through bluetooth, if I have to plug any shit in then I'm out.

uhh, yeah, what's up with that? That would be annoying and shouldn't even be needed like you said.

im lost, what was the big deal about this remote?

PS4 has no official media remote yet and using the controller for that sort of sucks for a couple different reasons. It's annoying for people who want to use the PS4 as their primary media player.

Edit: After some digging and looking at products with similar descriptions, this might be a simple IR remote with a bluetooth middleman much like this product:

OMon8nN.jpg

If that's true then PDP and Sony can fuck off. Our last hope is that the adapter is just included as an extra accessory and that the remote still has bluetooth itself.

Requiring an adapter will be a deal breaker to me. Wait for some reviews before buying it.

Edited:

Amazon description said:

Connects via Bluetooth: Uses Bluetooth to control your PS4 system.

So no adaptor required?

VniosZj.jpg

Optional infrared receiver when placing bluetooth adapter out of sight? It says that thanks to the included bluetooth, all programmable remotes are compatible with PS4. What exactly is this?

Seriously, Sony - why does such a simple (a profitable) peripheral have to be such a struggle to release with no strings attached?

Top Bottom