• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Alucrid

Banned
Is there a point in the story where all the children are 'born' (or at least enter the game) that you need to have relationships maxed / wanted skills acquired by?

McNum

Is there a point in the story where all the children are 'born' (or at least enter the game) that you need to have relationships maxed / wanted skills acquired by?
Lucina is the only one with a deadline, so to speak. Before chapter 13. All the other children won't have their stats and skills locked in until you actually hit "Fight!" on the preparations screen for their recruitment chapter. You can even go take a look, then back out to the map and the skills still won't be locked in.

CorvoSol

So I quit Hard Mode and started over on Normal for my 2nd playthrough. Hard mode was too high a spike in difficulty for me. That Frederick was the only one able to actually hurt enemy units on several occasions was the breaking point. That and the fact that basic world map encounters were too hard for my team, with no way of changing that fact in sight.

In other words, hard mode was too hard for me, so I went back to baby mode.

Javier

They should have designed the game so that if a Mother dies and the child is already recruited, the child looks like he/she is fading away. Then the next time you visit the barracks, the child disappears completely.

ffdgh

Hmm were you playing hard/classic? Truthfully the spotpass characters were my saving grace since I got stuck at chapter 11 on hard XD.

On an unrelated note, I'm considering getting the all stats+2 skill dlc for yarne to make his strength stat hit 100 before pair up bonuses... and after using tiki's tear.

rando14

Hey guys I just got this game, sorry if this is a common question, but any tips for a newcomer to the series? Would you guys recommend trying Normal mode or Casual?

CorvoSol

Hmm were you playing hard/classic? Truthfully the spotpass characters were my saving grace since I got stuck at chapter 11 on hard XD.

On an unrelated note, I'm considering getting the all stats+2 skill dlc for yarne to make his strength stat hit 100 before pair up bonuses... and after using tiki's tear.

I was on Hard Casual. I think the extra challenge just wasn't what I was looking for at this time.

I was on Hard Casual. I think the extra challenge just wasn't what I was looking for at this time.

The scary thing is, I found Hard Classic to actually be easier than Hard Casual.

Mostly because, since perma-death is on in classic, there's a sense of risk that tells you to get experience and get stronger. I've fought countless Risen and I ended up making Ricken and Severa the two top guys I have on my team. They are invincible compared to how they were in casual.

ffdgh

Hey guys I just got this game, sorry if this is a common question, but any tips for a newcomer to the series? Would you guys recommend trying Normal mode or Casual?

Since this is your first time, Go Normal/Casual to learn the basics of the game.

So I quit Hard Mode and started over on Normal for my 2nd playthrough. Hard mode was too high a spike in difficulty for me. That Frederick was the only one able to actually hurt enemy units on several occasions was the breaking point. That and the fact that basic world map encounters were too hard for my team, with no way of changing that fact in sight.

You and I are having a completely different experience on hard mode. :/

Frederick certainly was useful, but pairing him up and having him deal with key enemies was enough to allow me weaker units to shine.

KePoW

Banned

If you've played turn-based SRPGs before, I would recommend Hard+Casual.

Normal is too easy in this game.

They should have designed the game so that if a Mother dies and the child is already recruited, the child looks like he/she is fading away. Then the next time you visit the barracks, the child disappears completely.

The mothers don't die in the game. Ever.

If you pay attention to the text they always "retreat" when defeated. Though fathers can die, which means the mothers are fighting while pregnant... Though they magically dont miscarry.

Dunbar

I'm having a hell of a time trying to learn how to play this game. Once I get past chapter 3, I can't play either chapter 4 or paralogue 1 without losing guys. If I find a guide and follow it, will that be a good way to learn mechanics/strategy? Also, this is my first-ever SRPG. Should I have played Casual rather than Classic (I'm playing on Normal since that was it recommended)?

Draxal

I'm having a hell of a time trying to learn how to play this game. Once I get past chapter 3, I can't play either chapter 4 or paralogue 1 without losing guys. If I find a guide and follow it, will that be a good way to learn mechanics/strategy? Also, this is my first-ever SRPG. Should I have played Casual rather than Classic?

Are you playing on normal or hard?

Sounds like you may have fallen into a bit of a Jeigen trap. Almost every Fire Emblem has a promoted unit who is really powerful at the beginning of the game but who barely receives experience from fights due to his promotion. It's not as big a deal here as in games that don't let you revisit maps, but if you let him do much fighting, he'll be taking valuable experience that your other characters could be using. Because of second seals and unlimited grinding you can still make him useful ,much like any other character, but early on you should just use him more defensively than offensively.

If you play casual or normal mode you really won't need to worry much about it though.

Sounds like you may have fallen into a bit of a Jeigen trap. Almost every Fire Emblem has a promoted unit who is really powerful at the beginning of the game but who barely receives experience from fights due to his promotion. It's not as big a deal here as in games that don't let you revisit maps, but if you let him do much fighting, he'll be taking valuable experience that your other characters could be using. Because of second seals and unlimited grinding you can still make him useful ,much like any other character, but early on you should just use him more defensively than offensively.

If you play casual or normal mode you really won't need to worry much about it though.

Yeah pairing Frederick up with others early on is a huge help.

Remember that you can do the Pair Up before the game has the mini tutorial on it.

I do like how your character's outfit changes in the cutscenes depending on what your class is.

It does leave to amusing things such like:

A sage Lucina threatening to stab the MC with the Falchion

A hero MC using thunder magic to strike back at Validar

ohlawd

How do I acquire more gold/coin to spend in shops?

Leif's Blade, a sword - kill an enemy, get a Bullion (s) based on your Luck stat. Despoil, lvl 1 Barbarian skill, has the same effect.

Kill random Risen from the world map. You can get some Bullion and weapons to sell off.

Progressing through the story, you'll see an enemies with a nice stash of cash waiting for you. Chests sometimes have that too.

Golden Gaffe DLC, a freaking cheat code is all I can say. You can make a ton of cash in 2 mins tops.

Javier

If you pay attention to the text they always "retreat" when defeated. Though fathers can die, which means the mothers are fighting while pregnant... Though they magically dont miscarry.
I know, that's why I made that suggestion.

Don't pair up for this one. You get enough units to form a wall, do this:

Code:
EDGE OF MAP
    XXX

If I remember, I was actually able to create pairs around Tiki.

No one gets pregnant in this game

McNum

And that's Kjelle recruited. There's something cute about girls in heavy armor...

She inherited Axefaire and Dual Guard+. But Knights can't use axes, so... there's a reclass in her future some time. I might let her go all the way to General 15 for Pavise, though. But she can also be a Mercenary and a Hero, so swapping out immediately to get Armsthrift and later Sol looks like a plan, too. And Heroes can use axes. Hmm, will have to think about that. Her father is The Vaike.

As for the rest of the kids, as my game is now, I can recruit the following:
Brady(Stahl) with Dual Guard+ and Galeforce
Yarne(Gregor) with Lethality and Sol
Laurent(Ricken) with Dual Support+ and Tomefaire
Gerome(Fraderick) with Dual Support+ and... Luna.

Frederick needs five more levels to pass on Dual Guard+. I'll recruit the other three first with Frederick on the team and see how close that gets me. Yarne might have a better selection of skills to pass on, but on the other hand Killer Bunny! Without having to go through Assassin himself.

Anything you would change there?

I also need ideas for a Tharja/Kellam Noire. She's either going to be a Sorcerer like her mom or a General like her dad eventually. She has the +Def for it. But she's an archer now, and that's just not playing to her strengths... Got any tips? She has Pavise and Tomebreaker. She has the makings of a mageslayer, in other words.

Draxal

And that's Kjelle recruited. There's something cute about girls in heavy armor...

She inherited Axefaire and Dual Guard+. But Knights can't use axes, so... there's a reclass in her future some time. I might let her go all the way to General 15 for Pavise, though. But she can also be a Mercenary and a Hero, so swapping out immediately to get Armsthrift and later Sol looks like a plan, too. And Heroes can use axes. Hmm, will have to think about that. Her father is The Vaike.

As for the rest of the kids, as my game is now, I can recruit the following:
Brady(Stahl) with Dual Guard+ and Galeforce
Yarne(Gregor) with Lethality and Sol
Laurent(Ricken) with Dual Support+ and Tomefaire
Gerome(Fraderick) with Dual Support+ and... Luna.

Frederick needs five more levels to pass on Dual Guard+. I'll recruit the other three first with Frederick on the team and see how close that gets me. Yarne might have a better selection of skills to pass on, but on the other hand Killer Bunny! Without having to go through Assassin himself.

Anything you would change there?

I also need ideas for a Tharja/Kellam Noire. She's either going to be a Sorcerer like her mom or a General like her dad eventually. She has the +Def for it. But she's an archer now, and that's just not playing to her strengths... Got any tips? She has Pavise and Tomebreaker. She has the makings of a mageslayer, in other words.

For Kjelle; the traditional knight promotion (General) can use axes. Kellam can become a priest so Noire can be a sorceror with tomefaire.

ohlawd

Kjelle should be a Hero given Vaike as the dad.

Why not pass down Deliverer or Lancebreaker from Panne? Gregor's the dad so Yarne won't have access to the Wyvern Rider line.

oh goodness Kellam x Tharja. Uhh.... yeah keep her as a Sorcerer. Vengeance, Tomefaire and Limit Breaker should be in. No Armsthrift or Galeforce though. At least there's Luna, Dual Guard+, Anathema, Pavise to fill in the void.

McNum

Kjelle should be a Hero given Vaike as the dad.

Why not pass down Deliverer or Lancebreaker from Panne? Gregor's the dad so Yarne won't have access to the Wyvern Rider line.

oh goodness Kellam x Tharja. Uhh.... yeah keep her as a Sorcerer. Vengeance, Tomefaire and Limit Breaker should be in. No Armsthrift or Galeforce though. At least there's Luna, Dual Guard+, Anathema, Pavise to fill in the void.
Ah, good call on Lancebreaker. If Yarne wants to be a Killer Bunny, he can get his own Lethality, but he can't get his own +50% avoid against Beastslayer lances.

And, yeah, I know Kellam/Tharja is not what you'd call a min/max pairing. Even if it's a nice +5 Defense modifier they're passing on. It's a pairing that came about almost naturally. They just worked really well as a pair.

So Noire is going to be a defensive build, basically the person who's in front of a pair up on the Enemy Phase. You don't need Galeforce for that, but Pavise is nice to have. Tomefaire, Vengeance, and a Nosferatu tome will be nice for tanking. You hurt her, she hurts you more and heals from it. She'll have someone else as offense on the Player Phase. Does Dual Guard+ work no matter who's in front or only if the one with the skill is in the rear?

I need to figure out what to do with a Chrom fathered Cynthia, too. She's nearing the cap on Falcon Knight, and she's not a bad Falcon Knight at all. You can do worse than a combination of Galeforce, Lancefaire, and Aether. But that leaves two, or maybe just one, skill slot open, since everyone who's going into the later DLC will have Limit Breaker. Maybe wait and make her final class Bride? It shares a lot of things with Falcon Knight, but it's not out here yet.

ohlawd

DG+, Dual Support+ and Dual Strike+ will work no matter who's in the lead.

I would make Cynthia a support Dark Flier with Galeforce, Tomefaire, Aether (might just switch this out for Luna, depends), Dual Guard+ and Limit Breaker. Give her forged Celica's Gale.

McNum

DG+, Dual Support+ and Dual Strike+ will work no matter who's in the lead.

I would make Cynthia a support Dark Flier with Galeforce, Tomefaire, Aether (might just switch this out for Luna, depends), Dual Guard+ and Limit Breaker. Give her forged Celica's Gale.
Well THAT makes those skills a lot more appealing.

I'm not a big fan of Dark Flier, mainly because it doesn't do anything I can't get without the bow vulnerability. That's why I was thinking Bride. Lances and Tomes, but no wings. She already got Galeforce from Sumia. Who was sort of a bad Dark Flier. But if Cynthia is going to be a magic support, I know that a Galeforce Sage is pretty sweet. That's how Lissa runs. With Katarina's Bolts for critical hits. Go on, gank the healer, I dare you. I could use someone else with A rank Staves, come to think of it.

Why is Celica's Gale so good? It's a Brave Wind tome as far as I can tell. Now Elwind, just Wind. Also what game is she from? We're only just up to Shadow Dragon here, so I'm not sure I can call on her to buy that tome yet. Summoned Tiki to buy a Dragonstone+ for Tiki... just because I could.

Actually, what named weapons are worth making a note of? I like some Titania's Axes because they're great axes at low skill requirement, much like Roy's Blade is. Is there a Lance equivalent?

Why is Celica's Gale so good? It's a Brave Wind tome as far as I can tell. Now Elwind, just Wind. Also what game is she from? We're only just up to Shadow Dragon here, so I'm not sure I can call on her to buy that tome yet. Summoned Tiki to buy a Dragonstone+ for Tiki... just because I could.

Actually, what named weapons are worth making a note of? I like some Titania's Axes because they're great axes at low skill requirement, much like Roy's Blade is. Is there a Lance equivalent?

Celica's from FE2, Fire Emblem Gaiden. And yeah, pretty much, it's a Brave Elwind tome but it probably cheaper to forge than the actual Brave Weapons and is your only Brave magic tome that isn't a dark magic tome.

Most of the named weapons are decent mid-game wise. The lowest lance one would be Finn's Lance.

Busaiku

Augh, Yarne has the same problem with Resistance that Lissa has with Defense.
Bah, I didn't wanna waste my stat items on them...

CorvoSol

QUESTION: Does Sumia HAVE to be wed (assuming this is Casual) in order for Chrom to wed Olivia, or if I keep her away from him and have Chrom and Olivia do all the heavy lifting in that chapter, is it possible to have Sumia be single after Chrom is wed?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Sumia can be single, as long as Olivia's affinity with Chrom is higher than Sumia (and everyone else) he'll always marry Olivia.

If your Sumia is already rank C or has gotten quite a few conversations in with Chrom though, it's safer to just marry her off first.

Dunkelgrau

Guys, I am really unhappy with this game:
On „normal“ it is far too easy. And on „hard“ I have absolutely no chance. I mean, even “Dark Souls” was no really big deal for me. But this … HOLY SHIT! Am I doing something wrong?

Jintor

Probably. You might be feeding Frederick too much, depriving others of their stat growth. Once you get to grinding territory (around level 4 or 5) on Hard, pretty much anything can be overcome.

CorvoSol

Yeah Sumia can be single, as long as Olivia's affinity with Chrom is higher than Sumia (and everyone else) he'll always marry Olivia.

If your Sumia is already rank C or has gotten quite a few conversations in with Chrom though, it's safer to just marry her off first.

Yeah, I haven't put Sumia near Chrom yet, and will keep her away from him till after he and Olivia are safely wed.

Next question, though: To trigger Cordelia and Chrom's conversation in Summer of Bonds, does Chrom have to be single, or JUST Cordelia?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Yeah, I haven't put Sumia near Chrom yet, and will keep her away from him till after he and Olivia are safely wed.

Next question, though: To trigger Cordelia and Chrom's conversation in Summer of Bonds, does Chrom have to be single, or JUST Cordelia?

Just Cordelia.

CorvoSol

Just Cordelia.

Ah, okay. I hope this conversation is worth it, although Best Waifu doesn't have a chance. Red String has already dictated Chrom will always be with Olivia, Cordelia with Avatar, and Gregor with Panne. I don't know that I can play the game without marrying Gregor to Panne, guys.

Qurupeke

Okay, done with the Tiki mission. I used a Rescue to position her on the edge and then I formed a wall. Chrom was free and killed their leader. I think after that no new enemies appeared.

Time for the Gangrel mission. How can you recruit him?

NeonZ

No, it doesn't mean that. Awakening is going with changing the future just creating alternate timelines. Look at the children themselves.
When you defeat Grima, their future has no potential to happen anymore, and yet they still stay around in the present.
. Their mothers and fathers could drop dead, and they'd be just fine. The mothers retreat just because they're mentioned in support conversations and other dialogue as still being alive several times, and they'd need to rewrite all of that (or just make the conversations never mention them) if they were to make it possible for them to die.

CmdBash

Just got this game yesterday. Picked Hard Classic because that seemed like the way to play despite me being completely new to the Fire Emblem series. Had to reset quite a few times due to the occasional AI targeting going on suicidal attacks to kill one specific unit; feels completely unnatural and at times not very fun when it feels like the AI doesn't play by the rules. That being said I absolutely love everything else about the game :)

Are the dlc packs worth the price? or is there any chance that Nintendo will bundle all the dlc discounted?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
]blacky[;58030402 said:
Guys, I am really unhappy with this game:
On „normal“ it is far too easy. And on „hard“ I have absolutely no chance. I mean, even “Dark Souls” was no really big deal for me. But this … HOLY SHIT! Am I doing something wrong?

Play it as if you are playing chess. Keep a common strategy in place and anticipate the movements of the enemy within the next 2-3 turns. Don't get frustrated when you have to reset.

Espada

Guys, I need some help here. I've been training
Lucina
and at some point she started getting green numbers in her stats. It's even more obvious now that I'm trying to change her to another class, since almost all of them have a slew of green numbers.

#1 What do the green numbers mean?

#2 What class should I put her in (she's been a Lord, Great Lord, and General)?

Top Bottom