• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia announced for 3DS, Reimagining of FE Gaiden

PsionBolt

Always thought gaiden was interesting but never got to play it, hopefully this is fun. Anybody who played the old one mind saying how it is?

It's wonderful, but it shows its age front and center. The SRPG genre really wasn't an established thing when Gaiden came out. Because of inexperience, its design is flawed in many ways and its strategy elements are less tight than they should be.

Despite that, it is undoubtedly my favourite FE game. With all its flaws, Gaiden still does so much very, very right. Fire Emblem would not be the series it is today without Gaiden.

Intelligent Systems has no chill. I swear they've been pumping out at least 2-3 games every year at this point.

l0Expk5SRltU7pE88.gif

Strike it while it's hot.

What PS3 game has Sony released exclusively for the PS3 after the PS4 launch? (And if they did, how well did that go for that game's sales? :p)

The issue isn't cross-gen support, which does happen all the time at every console launch (though cross-gen lasts longer now than it used to, for sure).

As has been said repeatedly, the Switch desperately needs to buff its paper-thin library, so there's no reason for this game to be exclusively last-gen.

GT6 came out a month after the PS4. FE E will come out 2 months after Switch.

Well, it sort of bombed at first, but went on to sell respectable numbers over time....so *shrug*

Maiar_m

This is very interesting, looking forward to the reviews! Glad the 3DS lives on, I probably won't keep buying games for it if the Switch keeps me busy but I understand the balancing game they are aiming for.

I was travelling while the direct was on, so trying to catch up on everything at once and failing!

This looks ace, but did they say anything about being able to play without permadeath? I know, I know, it's the'real way to play', but fuck that shit, it always ends up ruining my enjoyment and winds up making me have to replay levels over and over and over to prevent deaths, and made me give up on ever Fire Emblem I played before Awakening well before the end.

I've got far too much of a backlog and there's way too many good games on the market to waste time frustrating myself on a game I'll want to love but just can't enjoy.

Ridley327

I was travelling while the direct was on, so trying to catch up on everything at once and failing!

This looks ace, but did they say anything about being able to play without permadeath? I know, I know, it's the'real way to play', but fuck that shit, it always ends up ruining my enjoyment and winds up making me have to replay levels over and over and over to prevent deaths, and made me give up on ever Fire Emblem I played before Awakening well before the end.

I've got far too much of a backlog and there's way too many good games on the market to waste time frustrating myself on a game I'll want to love but just can't enjoy.

Since it's been a standard feature since Awakening, I can't imagine why they would get rid of it now.

Erheller

Dang, this new art style looks really good compared to the 3DS Fire Emblem games. I've heard good things about Gaiden, so I hope IS doesn't mess up.

List of things that I want:
Don't fuck up Gaiden's story
No children
No avatar, or an avatar with a very limited role
Good map design
If the Pair-up/Follow-up system makes a return, nerf defense stance so we actually have a reason to use attack stance

Fates did a good job in the gameplay department (which was let dow by bad map design in some routes). I'd really like to see a return to the old style of Fire Emblem pre-pair-up, but I won't complain if Fates' system is refined and we get good maps.

Yay, the anime art-style from the last two games is gone. The 3D battles still look pretty damn ugly, but I can cope.

Fire Emblem has always been anime. And this is coming from someone who dislikes the character art in Awakening and Fates.

I'm wondering if this is sort of a Donkey Kong Country 3 type of deal.

DKC3 came out for Super Nintendo in the holidays of 1996, which was well after the N64 launched. Obviously, most of Rare's A team that worked on the first two DKC games like Gregg Mayles, Steve Mayles and Chris Sutherland were developing for the N64 at that point, so DKC3 fell to a newer B team. Perhaps FE Switch is being made by the team that worked on Awakening and Fates, while this is being made by some newbies?

Neiteio

Wasn't really able to pay attention to the Direct, so I don't know much about the 3DS game, but those amiibo look gorgeous

NeonZ

I don't see characters paired up. Does this mean no waifus/husubandos?

In the games before Awakening, you build support either by making characters fight or heal beside each other or just deploying in the same mission. The support stuff was one of the last detailed systems in Fates' marketing, so I wouldn't worry about them dropping that now even if there's no battle pair up. Making a barebones remake from a story point of view was one of the main complaints regarding Shadow Dragon (FE1 remake) and they even added traditional support conversations back afterwards in New Mystery (FE3 remake).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Isn't Fire Emblem Gaiden the one that Incest plot line? o_O;

Also I hope that they still keep the causal mode in as that is how I play Fire Emblem games.

PsionBolt

I don't see characters paired up. Does this mean no waifus/husubandos?

There was no support system of any kind in Gaiden, but I'd be surprised if they didn't add something like one to Echoes. They did make Shadow Dragon and New Mystery without one, but that was before Awakening. In the land of 3DS Emblem, I can't see it coming out without some inter-unit affection going on.

Plus, supports would be a convenient way to add more dialogue and characterization to the cast (most of whom need it, badly) without stepping on the existing plot framework and progression.

Not likely any baby-making going on, though.

Protome

We want both and theres no good reason why we shouldn't get both on the Switch.

Porting engines to different hardware is hard, doing so would have increased the budget by quite a lot for very little return. Nobody is going to buy the Switch for a remake of a niche Fire Emblem spin off.

syncyes

Also I hope that they still keep the causal mode in as that is how I play Fire Emblem games.

unless I'm misremembering something about gaiden, you're thinking of fe4, genealogy of the holy war.

which is also the one many fans want to get remade, me included, haha

kadotsu

Banned
I'm wondering if this is sort of a Donkey Kong Country 3 type of deal.

DKC3 came out for Super Nintendo in the holidays of 1996, which was well after the N64 launched. Obviously, most of Rare's A team that worked on the first two DKC games like Gregg Mayles, Steve Mayles and Chris Sutherland were developing for the N64 at that point, so DKC3 fell to a newer B team. Perhaps FE Switch is being made by the team that worked on Awakening and Fates, while this is being made by some newbies?

There are many 3DS game coming out after the Switch releases. Ever Oasis, Pikmin, Mario Sports Superstars, Tank Troopers and this.

vareon

This is the best outcome I think. A remake for 3ds (where current Fire Emblem fans are) and a new game upcoming next year.

Erheller

Don't worry, casual mode isn't going anywhere. I'm not sure if we'll see a return of Phoenix mode, but I honestly don't care as long as the game is balanced around classic mode.

GT6 came out a month after the PS4. FE E will come out 2 months after Switch.

Well, it sort of bombed at first, but went on to sell respectable numbers over time....so *shrug*

By all means it bombed hard as a rock, they were giving the game for free many months later everywhere you looked.

Instro

I'm inclined to think that they are looking to get as much money as they can out of a 3DS version first before announcing a Switch version. Looks cool either way though.

13ruce

Banned
There are many 3DS game coming out after the Switch releases. Ever Oasis, Pikmin, Mario Sports Superstars, Tank Troopers and this.

They should port a few to switch imo i rather play in hd resolution the 3ds resolution is severly outdated.

Famassu

Maybe 3DS is here to stay. WTF.
It's not. Of course Nintendo won't drop it like a rock and I imagine there will be longer a transition period than between Wiii & Wii U or GC & Wii, considering it's still selling and has an established userbase, but I imagine 2018 will be noticeably more devoid of Nintendo releases (especially bigger budget stuff) and by 2019 there will be very little else except maybe some more niche releases from smaller Japanese publishers/developers who are slow to move to new hardware.

That's assuming Switch gains traction and doesn't become a total failure in Japan. If it does fail/is slow to build its install base, I could see that prolonging developer support for 3DS (not from Nintendo's side, though), but not by a huge amount.

3DS is already looking like hot property (still) in 2017.

Booyeah.

Maybe an upgrade to a New 3DS XL is in order...

Get a standard n3DS, the screen size to pixel density is the best out of the systems' variants, it's more comfortable to hold, more portable, and the SNES coloured buttons and faceplates put it on a par with the Vita for sexiest handheld design ever.

Top Bottom