• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia announced for 3DS, Reimagining of FE Gaiden

I wonder how people would react if / when they announce Monster Hunter Stories for the 3DS (US/EU) later this year / 2018.

"A Monster Hunter game for the 3DS? ARE YOU CRAZY NINTENDO?"

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Guys, the Switch can't replace the 3ds completely. Even when they finally sunset the 3ds, they'll release a non-Switch successor. The 3ds just hits a lot of points the switch fundamentally can't. Cheaper, more durable, more kid friendly. It's the system you can put in your pants pocket, the system your kid can play in the back seat of the car or at the doctor's office. The system that can be "personal" in a multi-gamer household.

The Switch is a portable console, the 3ds is an "actual handheld." It'll keep getting games, and then they'll make another one. Probably sharing the Switch underlying architecture since Nintendo has been talking about doing that, but still being its own unique successor system.

Probably time to come to terms with that sooner than later.

daxgame

wasn't expecting this at all *sigh* that's the second game I still have to buy this year for 3DS which I was planning to put away. Oh well

Will buy, loved Awakening and Fates and I'm glad the 3DS still has some life left in it! The art style is really nice! Also not knowing about it till now is crazy(well....it's Nintendo I guess lol).....only 3-4 months till it releases when it just got announced.

Squeeze out one more game on the Fates engine before going full on Switch next year is fine. Makes sense. I'm actually surprised we got a solid western date for that though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's fine that it's on 3DS... but 3DS only? When they have a brand new system desperately needed content? That's ridiculous.

Especially when this was an opportunity to have the game not look like butt.

Just uprez the thing for Switch and call it a day. I'll pay $60. Whatever.

Spy

This is valid criticism, I think. Nintendo should definitely be publishing all of their software on Switch, even upcoming 3DS titles. Maybe they think some consumers will see those games as lower-quality or something, but it's still disappointing to see it happening. The new Mario Sports game, for example, would be great to have on both platforms.
As well as Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World. I was so sure these 3DS games would receive Switch ports because it seemed like a no brainer but that doesn't appear to be the case.

They are using the old engine, unless they port it to the Switch (which I doubt would happen) there's no reason for it to be cross-platform.

Strimei

It's fine that it's on 3DS... but 3DS only? When they have a brand new system desperately needed content? That's ridiculous.

I can understand that line of thought but it seems some people are outright angry that a 3DS title is being made, period.

Or hell, look at how some have taken the Warriors announcement of it being on New 3DS as well, unhappy there.

The Switch is getting a new mainline game anyway and the 3DS won't.

They are using the old engine, unless they port it to the Switch (which I doubt would happen) there's no reason for it to be cross-platform.

THere's also this. I imagine just bumped up it'd look like butt on the TV anyway.

Guys, the Switch can't replace the 3ds completely. Even when they finally sunset the 3ds, they'll release a non-Switch successor. The 3ds just hits a lot of points the switch fundamentally can't. Cheaper, more durable, more kid friendly. It's the system you can put in your pants pocket, the system your kid can play in the back seat of the car or at the doctor's office. The system that can be "personal" in a multi-gamer household.

The Switch is a portable console, the 3ds is an "actual handheld." It'll keep getting games, and then they'll make another one. Probably sharing the Switch underlying architecture since Nintendo has been talking about doing that, but still being its own unique successor system.

Probably time to come to terms with that sooner than later.

When 3DS is done they should be able to release a cheaper HH version of Switch. Should be able to hit $199 in a year or so without dock.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Seriously this. 3DS isn't something you just drop with it's install base, but it is getting a remake, not a totally new title.

It's great for the rest of the world because it's new for us, but really look at the big picture. Switch is the main, 3DS is the supplement.

Guys, the Switch can't replace the 3ds completely.

It's not about dropping 3ds. The issue is not that the game is on 3ds. The issue is that the game is not on the brand new 330 euro console that launches 2 months earlier and has a poor launch line-up.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think the fact that this is out so soon AND they announced the next mainline game is Switch should be enough to send the message about the future of the series.

yoonshik

echoes1.gif

Sold.

Yo why the hell is Fire Emblem Warriors on New 3DS, but this isn't on Switch? Could have been great having a strategy game for Switch.

Because Koei has the engine ready for double release. Intelligent Systems probably wants to make Switch Emblem properly for the system and it's coming next year.

But that's not stopping us from getting Gaiden. What's the difference? Just that Awakening and Fates did well? They could probably even release Mystery of the Emblem now and it'd sell alright.

Because now Fire Emblem actually sells.

EDIT: Since you just edited without me noticing, yeah they if they released Mystery of the Emblem now it'd sell a lot better than Shadow Dragon. Plus it helps that (from what I've heard) MotE is a much better game.

I love the art.

The story seems fine enough.

Glad its a true remake instead of just a remaster/port of an older game.

I do not understand why this can't also be on the Switch though. For a system thats hurting for releases I don't get why they wouldn't at least port it if they clearly can do that for Fire Emblem Warriors. I guess thats why they announced the Switch FE game even though it won't be until some time next year at the earliest.

I was really glad to see WArriors get dated for fall at least though.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Especially when this was an opportunity to have the game not look like butt.

Just uprez the thing for Switch and call it a day. I'll pay $60. Whatever.

Fuck man it's like somebody needs to grab them by their cheeks and scream it in their face. Just port the fucking game to the switch at 720p/1080p it's that simple. You don't have a switch well buy it on the 3ds you already own.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Because it would likely cost more money and time to port it to the Switch and that's before potentially being able to actually customize the game to capitalize on the Switch's power and make it more than just a higher res 3DS game.

They want to capitalize on the 3DS market while they still can so taking longer to develop the game week hurt sales there.

Also I doubt they want the first real FE game on the Switch to be a port of a 3DS game, but a full fledge game designed from the ground up for the system.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Who's the character designer? The name on the trailer wasn't Yusuke Kozaki but other artist instead.

Snakeyes

Loving the art in this, seems closer to the style used in the GBA and GC games than what we got in Awakening and Fates.

robotrock

Banned
Because it would likely cost more money and time to port it to the Switch and that's before potentially being able to actually customize the game to capitalize on the Switch's power and make it more than just a higher res 3DS game.

They want to capitalize on the 3DS market while they still can so taking longer to develop the game week hurt sales there.

Also I doubt they want the first real FE game on the Switch to be a port of a 3DS game, but a full fledge game designed from the ground up for the system.

People seem excited for Zelda on the Switch

MrT-Tar

But that's not stopping us from getting Gaiden. What's the difference?

In the meantime FE has blown up in popularity, both in Japan and the West.

Anecdotal, but true story: I bought a new copy of Shadow Dragon in 2010 for £10. I saw a used copy in CEX between Christmas and New Year for £45. There's clearly demand for older FE games that didn't previously exist.

Dragbolt

3DS truly the GOAT. Can't believe I have another FE to play in 2017 on the thing, and I still haven't finished Fates yet.

Top Bottom