• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Blues1990

Overall, what are your guys thoughts on the N3DS remake of the Japan-only Fire Emblem Gaiden?

For myself, I really, really like Shadows of Valentia:

-Shifting the focus from character interactions to more gameplay mechanics was a huge deal for me, along with a story that feels like it’s developing with you, rather than happening in the background.

-Speaking of which, while the overarching plot beats of Fire Emblem Echoes are predictable, the execution, tone, & characters of Echoes is very well done. Alm and Celica in particular are both endearing characters, and I was engaged in the narrative even if I could point out the crucial plot points from a mile away.

-I strongly came to appreciate how the dungeon & town areas mix things up just enough to keep things interesting. It gives the game a different sort flavor and of pace, and I'm glad Intelligent Systems decided to revisit a seemingly weird idea.

-Mila's Turnwheel is a great addition, as it allows players to not only fix your mistakes, but it also allows experimentation with bold (even reckless) strategies. Even if it doesn't work out, you can turn back the clock and try something else.

-Despite the limited class variety, there are still some really cool strategies that come out of the units available.

-I didn't like the game's reliance on summoned enemies. At first, it was an interesting mechanic that forced the player to take things a little more slowly and manage a persistent flood of enemies as they progressed towards the map boss. But it worn out its welcome, especially when most of the final stretch of the game is marked by these sorts of battles.

Overall, what are your guys thoughts on the N3DS remake of the Japan-only Fire Emblem Gaiden?

For myself, I really, really like Shadows of Valentia:

-Shifting the focus from character interactions to more gameplay mechanics was a huge deal for me, along with a story that feels like it's developing with you, rather than happening in the background.

-Speaking of which, while the overarching plot beats of Fire Emblem Echoes are predictable, the execution, tone, & characters of Echoes is very well done. Alm and Celica in particular are both endearing characters, and I was engaged in the narrative even if I could point out the crucial plot points from a mile away.

-I strongly came to appreciate how the dungeon & town areas mix things up just enough to keep things interesting. It gives the game a different sort flavor and of pace, and I'm glad Intelligent Systems decided to revisit a seemingly weird idea.

-Mila's Turnwheel is a great addition, as it allows players to not only fix your mistakes, but it also allows experimentation with bold (even reckless) strategies. Even if it doesn't work out, you can turn back the clock and try something else.

-Despite the limited class variety, there are still some really cool strategies that come out of the units available.

-I didn't like the game's reliance on summoned enemies. At first, it was an interesting mechanic that forced the player to take things a little more slowly and manage a persistent flood of enemies as they progressed towards the map boss. But it worn out its welcome, especially when most of the final stretch of the game is marked by these sorts of battles.
I agree with all of that.

I sometimes feel that the enemies focus too hard on archers/healers. This can be especially brutal with teleporting and very fast enemies. It sometimes feels a bit like trial & error to me. But Mila's Wheel helps a lot in those cases.

Blues1990

I agree with all of that.

I sometimes feel that the enemies focus too hard on archers/healers. This can be especially brutal with teleporting and very fast enemies. It sometimes feels a bit like trial & error to me. But Mila's Wheel helps a lot in those cases.

This is something that I noticed, as well. Even when one of my tanks is all alone and can easily be surrounded & overwhelmed, the enemies will ignore him & will make a b-line to Silque, who is hiding in a bunch of trees and has a bunch of swordsmen protecting her.

I do like that enemies will run when they are low on health, though.

Draxal

To be honest, I think Valentia is a game, that has alot of great additions so that it magnifies the annoying flaws so much more.

1. The nonstop NPC spawn spam on the world map
2. The Map Design in the later chapters is just an exercise in tedium.

budpikmin

I don't have thread posting privileges so I'm going to post this here in the hope that a mod will make a thread to shine some light on it.

Almost a month ago now I bought the Shadows of Valencia Limited Edition from the Nintendo UK Store. The package arrived on time and in good condition so I have no issues with their service there. The game comes with an artbook, CD, two amiibo, reversable cover art and a set of three pin badges - three individual pin badges of Alm, Celica and Marth. Only my set looks like this:

tz9771T.jpg

So I have Alm, Celica and Alm. I'm sure Alm is a standup guy but where the hell is my Marth??

So I promptly called Nintendo customer service and queried it. The very helpful guy on the phone explained that I needed to take a photo of the pins and email it over, which I did and he even called me back a couple of times while he spoke to various people - I felt like I was in good hands. He then said I needed to wait to hear back from head office. I explained that it might be easier for me to send it back and for them to send out a new one as they were still showing as in stock. He assured me this was the simplest way to do things so I waited. Obviously they went out of stock by the next day.

It's been a month now and I've made a phone call every week and every time I get told that it's all in hand and that I need to wait. I've spoken to reps who have told me to go ahead and open the game to play it as it's being dealt with (I didn't). A week and a half ago I said to the sales rep that I was worried I was about to go outside the refund period and he assured me that that wouldn't matter because of my unique situation. He said to give them one more week for them to make good on the pin.

It's now a week and a half later and I've just gotten off the phone to customer support. The guy I spoke to immediately after looking at my file tried to get me off the phone telling me I'd get an email in 1-2 days. I've been extremely patient and polite so far and at this point I did start losing it a bit with him. I can see that the badge sets are available on ebay for £20 and asked whether it would be possible for them to compensate me for this as they are clearly having trouble sourcing the pins themselves - not an option he says. My only option is to wait for head office to get around to caring.

I decided at this point I'd had enough and said I wanted to go the refund route. I haven't opened the game or amiibo and have been dying to play it so I'd like to get my money back so I can go and buy the standard edition. He then gives me the third degree about whether I've opened it because I'd seen the pins and I had to explain myself as the actual box itself doesn't have a seal. "You're outside of the return deadline". ?!?@#?! are you fucking shitting me.

I then had to tell him what the previous guy said and he was dubious. He said he'll put in a query to the store but can't guarantee it.

I'm not sure what I hope to achieve by making this useless attempt at customer service public but at the very least it might make some fellow gaffers think twice about buying from the Nintendo store. I assumed their service would be top quality and that they cared but clearly I was wrong :,-(

I'm sure there will be some that think I'm overreacting as it's just a pin but I'm a collector and to be honest I'd rather not have it at all than have it incomplete.

AEREC

How does this compare to Fates? I really did not care for fates for the following:

-Story was abysmal and insanely childish

-Gameplay/strategy got stale after a while and it was just easy to turtle the enemy in most cases

I don't have thread posting privileges so I'm going to post this here in the hope that a mod will make a thread to shine some light on it.

Almost a month ago now I bought the Shadows of Valencia Limited Edition from the Nintendo UK Store. The package arrived on time and in good condition so I have no issues with their service there. The game comes with an artbook, CD, two amiibo, reversable cover art and a set of three pin badges - three individual pin badges of Alm, Celica and Marth. Only my set looks like this:

[snip]

I'm sure there will be some that think I'm overreacting as it's just a pin but I'm a collector and to be honest I'd rather not have it at all than have it incomplete.

Where did you order it from--

Oh, the NUK store. Figures.

A year ago, they majorly messed up my Fates SE order.

First they cancelled it because I ordered two despite issuing no warning beforehand. Then they cancelled it again because I apparently ordered within an illegal time frame, when in fact they LET me re-order.

Then they forgot my NUK exclusive family crest coin. Also they forgot my free 3DS home theme, which was unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but I had to pester them because it was a promised inclusion.

This year, thankfully I didn't have any headaches. However I totally feel for ya.

How does this compare to Fates? I really did not care for fates for the following:

-Story was abysmal and insanely childish

-Gameplay/strategy got stale after a while and it was just easy to turtle the enemy in most cases

Story is a lot more straightforward and old-school, with a welcome level of polish including full voice acting except for fetch quests. I wholeheartedly recommend the story, even if it doesn't break any new ground and gets a bit wonky near the end.

Gameplay-wise, if you thought Fates was boring (which is fair enough if you played Birthright), Echoes is a step back in that regard. The maps range from basic plains to headache-inducing desert and swamp.

Under normal circumstances I would recommend it, but if gameplay is really that important to you, I'm not too sure.

AEREC

First they cancelled it because I ordered two despite issuing no warning beforehand. Then they cancelled it again because I apparently ordered within an illegal time frame, when in fact they LET me re-order.

Then they forgot my NUK exclusive family crest coin. Also they forgot my free 3DS home theme, which was unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but I had to pester them because it was a promised inclusion.

This year, thankfully I didn't have any headaches. However I totally feel for ya.

Story is a lot more straightforward and old-school, with a welcome level of polish including full voice acting except for fetch quests. I wholeheartedly recommend the story, even if it doesn't break any new ground and gets a bit wonky near the end.

Gameplay-wise, if you thought Fates was boring (which is fair enough if you played Birthright), Echoes is a step back in that regard. The maps range from basic plains to headache-inducing desert and swamp.

Under normal circumstances I would recommend it, but if gameplay is really that important to you, I'm not too sure.

Maybe its better that gameplay is simple...Fates felt like it had alot of gameplay options with no point in using them since the basics worked just fine especially when playing defensively.

budpikmin

That's ridiculous. Why cancel both and not just one and save the headache?

The worst thing about it was I said to the guy a month ago let's just do a refund or exchange and I'll reorder but he insisted that I let them fix it this way. Now I'm stuck. I've just tweeted Nintendo UK but I doubt they'll do anything about it.

That's ridiculous. Why cancel both and not just one and save the headache?

The worst thing about it was I said to the guy a month ago let's just do a refund or exchange and I'll reorder but he insisted that I let them fix it this way. Now I'm stuck. I've just tweeted Nintendo UK but I doubt they'll do anything about it.

No idea. Apparently I wasn't the only person. I know of at least one other person who ordered 2 copies, 1 for a friend and both orders got cancelled.

Ironically, you were 100% fine if you ordered the SE by itself and the SE with the T-shirt. Those count as different SKUs. Facepalm, I did.

Anyway, from what I've heard, the NUK store isn't actually handled by Nintendo itself, but the Hut Group. Which could explain the lacklustre customer service.

budpikmin

No idea. Apparently I wasn't the only person. I know of at least one other person who ordered 2 copies, 1 for a friend and both orders got cancelled.

Ironically, you were 100% fine if you ordered the SE by itself and the SE with the T-shirt. Those count as different SKUs. Facepalm, I did.

Anyway, from what I've heard, the NUK store isn't actually handled by Nintendo itself, but the Hut Group. Which could explain the lacklustre customer service.

Yeah I know it's the hut. I'm calling out Nintendo because the Hut passed responsibility for sourcing the pin to them and they went silent.

PsionBolt

Maybe its better that gameplay is simple...Fates felt like it had alot of gameplay options with no point in using them since the basics worked just fine especially when playing defensively.

Defensive play more or less doesn't exist in Echoes, for a number of reasons inherent to its design.
- Map design with few chokepoints
- Strong chokepoint breakers (up to 5-range archers and mages, less flimsy flyers, early Warp spell, teleporting enemy witches)
- Enemy cantors who summon monsters infinitely, often up to 8 a turn
- Bad enemy phase offense (1-2 range weapons suck, mage counterattacks always use your worst spell, spells cost HP to cast)
- Player-phase-only activated skill system
- Minimum 1 damage on hit
- Unforgiving hit rate calculation (no longer faked in your favour)
- No weapon triangle (so, no crazy avo bonuses)
- While some units get good def, no one has any res or res growth to tank mages

If you're really, really determined to cheese things, there are a couple of units who can handle enemy hordes with a bit of luck (such as cleric Faye or dread fighter Kliff), but for the most part, you have to push forward with your entire group if you want to win.

So I just picked this game up and while I'm only at the very beginning (literally, Lukas has just appeared in Ram Village), I already love the tone and story telling 100% more than Fates. I'm hoping what I'm reading about the game play being a little old school/lackluster doesn't ruin it for me.

JMY86

So I just picked this game up and while I'm only at the very beginning (literally, Lukas has just appeared in Ram Village), I already love the tone and story telling 100% more than Fates. I'm hoping what I'm reading about the game play being a little old school/lackluster doesn't ruin it for me.

I traded in my 3DS XL a while ago but I am thinking of picking up a refurbished 2DS for this game and the new Metroid and look forward to more impressions from folks.

I traded in my 3DS XL a while ago but I am thinking of picking up a refurbished 2DS for this game and the new Metroid and look forward to more impressions from folks.

Haha, I think it would be very fitting considering both games are re-imaginings of the 2nd game in their respective series.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend the game as a window into Fire Emblem's past and also its future. As a veteran, I greatly enjoyed my time with the game.

Golnei

It is kind of amusing that Metroid II and Fire Emblem Gaiden of all things were resurrected at the same time - the former a remake of one of the less loved titles from a series assumed to be all but dead, and the latter assumed to be left in the past as a footnote in the series' history.

Forward

Why is Python such a piece of shit? He can't double, he can't hit things, when he does land a about he does terrible damage and he can't take any hits.

Get him to Sniper. Try to get at least a couple of levels where he gets boots to stats that don't skyrocket upon class-up. He isn't Sniper Kliff, but nor does he suck outright.

NeonZ

He actually has really good speed growth and decent strength, specially for this game, but his base speed is low, which hurts that strength.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Why is Python such a piece of shit? He can't double, he can't hit things, when he does land a about he does terrible damage and he can't take any hits.
He really isn't any good until he promotes. He becomes very useful after that. Only bow user on Alm's team, so you need to make do for a while.

Edit: Forgot about villagers, I didn't make any into Archers, haha

I did that. Tobin/Mage, Kliff/Archer, Stalker/Cleric, Grey/Merc... Grey is death itself.
Everyone who turns Stalker into a Cleric is missing out. Stalker Cavalier is a fucking beast. Plus you get two saints on Alm's team anyway.

She has been absolutely destroying everything, and has great defense to tank whatever. Shes currently my second best character, behind Delthea who has been an absolute house since becoming a priestess. I can just let her charge into a horde of mages and laugh em all off. Her absurd ATK rating makes her sword a beast and she easily murders Arcanists in 1 go.

Tobin archer with a Killer Bow is currently 3rd on Alm's team. He does really high damage, has great accuracy, and the Killer Bow crit rate is around 50% with him double attacking most turns he crits constantly.

Clair and Mathilda have also been really good. Clive, Lucas, Forsythe, and Python have been really bad.

EDIT: Also, speaking of Stalker...Faye's A rank support with Alm turned out really sweet.
She has this really heartfelt confession in the form of her dream for the future, and takes his rejection in stride

Everyone who turns Stalker into a Cleric is missing out. Stalker Cavalier is a fucking beast. Plus you get two saints on Alm's team anyway.

She has been absolutely destroying everything, and has great defense to tank whatever. Shes currently my second best character, behind Delthea who has been an absolute house since becoming a priestess. I can just let her charge into a horde of mages and laugh em all off. Her absurd ATK rating makes her sword a beast and she easily murders Arcanists in 1 go.

Tobin archer with a Killer Bow is currently 3rd on Alm's team. He does really high damage, has great accuracy, and the Killer Bow crit rate is around 50% with him double attacking most turns he crits constantly.

Clair and Mathilda have also been really good. Clive, Lucas, Forsythe, and Python have been really bad.

EDIT: Also, speaking of Stalker...Faye's A rank support with Alm turned out really sweet.
She has this really heartfelt confession in the form of her dream for the future, and takes his rejection in stride

People are mainly doing it for exclusive access to the Anew spell. In the long run, you don't need extra firepower going for an offensive class since she didn't exist in the original.

I guess you can put her in an offensive class first, then use a Pitchfork to make a Cleric later. But that's a waste of a good Pitchfork IMO.

Erheller

Honestly the best part about Cleric Stalker is that you get access to easy Warp/Rescue cheese. Combine that with Double Lion by act 4, and you have an easy answer to awful maps like Nuibaba.

People are mainly doing it for exclusive access to the Anew spell. In the long run, you don't need extra firepower going for an offensive class since she didn't exist in the original.

I guess you can put her in an offensive class first, then use a Pitchfork to make a Cleric later. But that's a waste of a good Pitchfork IMO.

no, Anew comes so late, it's for Rescue

but...why would I care about anew when shes the best all around unit in my army, and BY FAR a better mounted unit than Mathilda or Clive.

are you kidding me? Faye's growths are actually pretty bad, she definitely doesn't beat Mathilda

Tommy DJ

Honestly the best part about Cleric Stalker is that you get access to easy Warp/Rescue cheese. Combine that with Double Lion by act 4, and you have an easy answer to awful maps like Nuibaba.

Don't know how people live without the warp/rescue combo. Those late maps are horrible oh my god.

prepromote versus villager though. Maybe itll move in Mathilda's favor by the end of the game, but I have them both at 10 Paladin atm, and Faye's stats are much better.

3/7/1 Paladin Faye averages: 28 HP, 12 atk, 5 skl, 8 spd, 8.4 lck, 8 def, 6.24 res
Paladin Faye growths: 40/40/30/30/30/40/3

Mathilda bases: 26 HP, 12 atk, 14 skl, 12 spd, 13 lck, 7 def, 10 res
Mathilda growths: 40/50/45/55/45/40/4

Mcdohl

Loving this game.

However...

I'm on Chapter3, finished killing
Garth
with Celica.

6 hours of gameplay and everything is kinda easy so far.

Might be that I'm a FE veteran, or is this game significantly an easier entry of the series? Also am I moving too fast? A friend told me it's only 5 chapters ._.

Yagami_Sama

This game was a pain to play on Famicom, but I am really enjoying it. Maybe is because I was so frustrated and disappointed with the previous games, I am really enjoying. Even the fact that I never so 80 - 85 % hit percentage miss that much, should be a record and I think that enemy should re-spawn less on dungeons and on the over world is quite boring sometimes.

I am currently on Chapter 2 going to the desert with Celica and almost close to the last fight with Alm.

3/7/1 Paladin Faye averages: 28 HP, 12 atk, 5 skl, 8 spd, 8.4 lck, 8 def, 6.24 res
Paladin Faye growths: 40/40/30/30/30/40/3

Mathilda bases: 26 HP, 12 atk, 14 skl, 12 spd, 13 lck, 7 def, 10 res
Mathilda growths: 40/50/45/55/45/40/4
3 villager promote? I promoter her at 10. Villagers seemed like a class that was a really bad idea to instantly promote.

PK Gaming

3 villager promote? I promoter her at 10. Villagers seemed like a class that was a really bad idea to instantly promote.

Promoting at her level 10 isn't going to make a difference. She'll never close the gap as a cav, even if she's super blessed. And promoting immediately, even as a villager is optimal due to how stat gains are obtained via class change.

Promoting at her level 10 isn't going to make a difference. She'll never close the gap as a cav, even if she's super blessed. And promoting immediately, even as a villager is optimal due to how stat gains are obtained via class change.
Only due to the pushing the the minimums. Leveling to 10 gets you well above the minimum. Faye starts at 8 attack, Cavalier minimum is only 9. That puts her at 11-12 at level 10 villager for promote. Thats 1 below or equal to paladin minimum.

Only due to the pushing the the minimums. Leveling to 10 gets you well above the minimum. Faye starts at 8 attack, Cavalier minimum is only 9. That puts her at 11-12 at level 10 villager for promote. Thats 1 below or equal to paladin minimum.

10/7/1 Paladin Faye (jesus christ this is ridiculous favoritism and inefficiency): 28 HP, 14 atk, 5.5 skl, 8 spd, 10.5 lck, 9 def, 6.45 res

difference: 2 atk, 0.5 skl, 2.1 lck, 1 def, 0.21 res

yeah...

10/7/1 Paladin Faye (jesus christ this is ridiculous favoritism and inefficiency): 28 HP, 14 atk, 5.5 skl, 8 spd, 10.5 lck, 9 def, 6.45 res

difference: 2 atk, 0.5 skl, 2.1 lck, 1 def, 0.21 res

yeah...
inefficiency in a series where we all learned to level to 20 before promoting normally? I didnt promote any villagers until they hit level 10. Just didnt seem to make sense with how low their stats were.

But hey, my Tobin and Faye are wrecking everyone.

TannerDemoz

I'm finally at the last mission.

Can't help but feel like I've had to force myself through a lot of this game to the point where I'm just straight-up skipping cutscenes.

What started as a fun experience turned into a really diluted, forced playthrough of the most boring maps I've ever played.

Music is SICK though.

inefficiency in a series where we all learned to level to 20 before promoting normally? I didnt promote any villagers until they hit level 10. Just didnt seem to make sense with how low their stats were.

That was (almost) always inefficient.

Mcdohl

This game was a pain to play on Famicom, but I am really enjoying it. Maybe is because I was so frustrated and disappointed with the previous games, I am really enjoying. Even the fact that I never so 80 - 85 % hit percentage miss that much, should be a record and I think that enemy should re-spawn less on dungeons and on the over world is quite boring sometimes.

I am currently on Chapter 2 going to the desert with Celica and almost close to the last fight with Alm.

I think you mean chapter 3.

Are you also finding this game easy?

And what is your current playtime?

Erheller

Promoting at level 20 is very inefficient in the vast majority of FE games.

The reality is that in most FE games if you had infinite experience, you could make almost anyone a monster (look at the people training Nino up in FE7). The issue is that in most FE games, there's not unlimited experience.

In Echoes, there is unlimited experience. So it's possible to grind, but it takes a LOT of time. If you want to grind everyone up, that's your choice. But the vast majority of people (including FE veterans) want to finish the story in a somewhat efficient manner, where promoting ASAP is the obvious choice.

Sure, your Faye might have turned out really well, but it's likely that she would have turned out just as well if you had insta-promoted. And insta-promoting makes the subsequent chapters easier, too.

Most FE games are all about resource management, and experience is one of those resources.

PK Gaming

Spending 7 extra levels as a sucky villager is 100% not worth the extremely minor stat gains. Again, promoting immediately let's you make the most of your stat gains. If I can get Gray to promote to a mercenary and get 10 Speed immediately (and take advantage of his high Speed and start kicking ass early on) that's better than waiting to pick up a few meaningless stat points, then promoting. It's just math.

NeonZ

Atlas worked well as a mage in my playthrough. He wasn't that good since he rarely doubled, but his high attack and the low res of almost everything meant he could always add some significant damage. And then there were enemies that basically only Kamui was doubling anyway.

Top Bottom