• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors Famitsu info: Characters, gameplay info [Up: Screenshots]

bufkus

The base game of HW had representation from every 3D Zelda except for Wind Waker.

Zelda games also have a fraction of the number of characters that Fire Emblem has, and they already pointed out that if they used every protagonist, that would be a ton of redundant sword users.

There's multiple great non-sword characters in the extended series...

Where's the logic in "There's too many swords, so we're going to limit the characters to 3 games instead of looking at more games!"?

NSESN

There's multiple great non-sword characters in the extended series...

Where's the logic in "There's too many swords, so we're going to limit the characters to 3 games instead of looking at more games!"?
What is worse is that they choose a game with 3 sword Lords, 4 if you count Leo.

Zelda games also have a fraction of the number of characters that Fire Emblem has, and they already pointed out that if they used every protagonist, that would be a ton of redundant sword users.

That is not a good excuse because many of the protags can use other weapons besides swords and all of the crappy original characters so far are sword users. The game is also going to have Marth, Chrom, and Lucina when only one is needed (preferably Lucina).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lyn beat Lucina in the biggest Fire Emblem popularity poll of all time though.
TBF though that's hardly an accurate poll. More dedicated people could vote for the same person multiple times while others split their votes. A one and done of a ranking with points would be far more representative.

Ridley327

TBF though that's hardly an accurate poll. More dedicated people could vote for the same person multiple times while others split their votes. A one and done of a ranking with points would be far more representative.

Then again, Lucina fans could ballot stuff just as easily as anyone else. I guess she just doesn't inspire the same kind of passion after all!

Thud

Marth is good enough to start with.

Sure I can list a bunch of favorites, but if it doesn't make the cut so be it. There's plently they could add with DLC.

Rodin

Leo can use Swords.

His signature weapon isn't one though, and considering their statement (which, like i said in the other thread, likely meant that having too many characters could translate into very similar movesets across all units, especially when sword units would be the majority anyway) there's no reason to assume that he'll be able to use anything other than that since he's mainly a mage with a unique, divine weapon.

The lords from Fates are also different from each other. For example Corrin is also a dragon, and Xander has a horse (and distant counter that could potentially translate into a ranged attack if they want to adapt certain mechanics), so their movesets should be completely different. I can see Lucina, Marth and Chrom being similar, but they're way too important/popular to be left out, and there's still room for variations. I also think that most of the main characters from other games will be added as DLCs anyway, regardless of current statements for the initial roster.

That is not a good excuse because many of the protags can use other weapons besides swords and all of the crappy original characters so far are sword users. The game is also going to have Marth, Chrom, and Lucina when only one is needed (preferably Lucina).

If they limit it to three-ish games they can give far more variety and depth to selection than just giving other games' lords alternate weapons. This makes it likelier to see Tharja, Effie, Caeda, Cordelia, Henry, Gaius, etc, who would have no chance if it was open to the whole FE series.

There's no way they don't have Marth or Lucina in the game, so they very much need both. Popular characters outside the core games are likely DLC candidates (or do we really think Ike, Lynn, and Roy aren't going to be in this in some way?)

NSESN

His signature weapon isn't one though, and considering their statement (which, like i said in the other thread, likely meant that having too many characters could translate into very similar movesets across all units, especially when sword units would be the majority anyway) there's no reason to assume that he'll be able to use anything other than that since he's mainly a mage with a unique, divine weapon.

The lords from Fates are also different from each other. For example Corrin is also a dragon, and Xander has a horse (and distant counter that could potentially translate into a ranged attack if they want to adapt certain mechanics), so their movesets should be completely different. I can see Lucina, Marth and Chrom being similar, but they're way too important/popular to be left out, and there's still room for variations. I also think that most of the main characters from other games will be added as DLCs anyway, regardless of current statements for the initial roster.
I give you Corrin, but why not Sigurd or Eliwood instead of Xander. All are on horses. How about Lyn instead of Lucina, that way we don't have 2 Marths. And Ike and Roy could do everything Ryoma do and each have an extra of axes or flame sword.

NeonZ

Fates doesn't take place in the same world as the first game. Funnily enough, Shadows of Valentia does.

Before Awakening implies that Hoshido and Nohr are in the same world of Ylisse but separated by a lot of years iirc

In Odin's original Japanese support with Ophelia, he outright referenced the Exalt defeating Grima as something that would take place in the future (which means that it's the same world, but more than 1000 years before Awakening). For whatever reason, the localization dropped that bit though, just keeping the reference to the Exalt defeating Grima, but cutting the comment about it being in the future.

TDLink

Gives me hope that Ephraim can sneak in. Lance user that doesn't need a horse is a pretty unique unit.

Sacred Stones always seems like it'll be the red headed stepchild of the franchise forever.

No one ever talks about it. None of the characters are popular. It's a shame.

OVDRobo

Feeling mixed reactions to the news.

The new OCs look bad. Blonde hair and blue eyes is so overdone in Japanese media and Fire Emblem doesn't need more swords. Would've preferred an avatar system like the newer 3DS games - selectable gender and changeable hair/eyes. Select a 'class' which copies an existing characters moveset and animations onto the OC for the main story. Keep their names locked to Shion/Lian and you can still have full voice acting.

Not liking them locking series choices to Shadow Dragon, Awakening and Fates either. There's a good number of characters that I really like from those games but you don't just write off a majority of the series when making a musou title since crossover is their main draw.

Also questioning decisions such as having Chrom as part of the announced roster. I like the guy, but there's no way that Lucina's not getting in given her popularity yet they are very, very similar to one another for obvious reasons. I don't want to see redundancy like that simply because they decided to ignore a majority of the franchise.

Finally, a lot of the most popular characters come from games they've chosen to exclude. Ike and Lyn are two of the series most popular characters and Roy is up there too, but instead we're stuck with fucking Marth for the billionth game of them pushing this bland-ass character from a game they couldn't even be bothered to remake properly and a sequel they couldn't justify localising.

Given the current situation, here's the characters I imagine being present:
Marth
Tiki (Probably Shadow Dragon child version)
Pegasus Sisters/Caeda
Chrom
Lucina
Robin
Tharja
Corrin
Ryoma (Lu Bu equivalent)
Takumi (No other decently popular archers)

Not certain about the rest since I'm not too certain about how Japan rates the Shadow Dragon characters and there are a lot possibilities but no guarantees in the Fates royal families.

Here's hoping DLC can save this game's roster.

If they limit it to three-ish games they can give far more variety and depth to selection than just giving other games' lords alternate weapons. This makes it likelier to see Tharja, Effie, Caeda, Cordelia, Henry, Gaius, etc, who would have no chance if it was open to the whole FE series.

There's no way they don't have Marth or Lucina in the game, so they very much need both. Popular characters outside the core games are likely DLC candidates (or do we really think Ike, Lynn, and Roy aren't going to be in this in some way?)

I do think Ike, Lyn, Roy (meh), and Hector have a really good chance of getting into the main game but they don't need to limit themselves to three games to build a diverse roster or give B and C level characters some shine. This game should be a celebration of the entire series and it is a joke that it isn't.

Kinsei

Banned

Yet the shitty OC's have swords.

Even if they really were concerned about having too many sword users bunch of lords have secondary weapons they could use instead of a sword.

Nairume

Banned
It had Majora stuff in the game there just wasn't a playable Majora character until the DLC.
But we're talking about playable characters here, otherwise Wind Waker would technically have representation in the form of the Wind Waker itself being one of Zelda's weapons. There's nothing in the Gematsu thing saying that FE Warriors won't do the same thing and pull small things from other games like HW did.

Sandfox

I expect Ike and Roy to be DLC. Azura, Thatja, Cordelia/Caeda, and Lyn seem like safe guesses to me along with one of the brothers from Fates.

TheRook

After reviewing this news, I'm very conflicted with the direction this game is headed.

I get it...

You need Marth and whether you like him or not, he is(or his sword is) the Mascot of the franchise.

In the announcement trailer we saw Chrom, and Fate's Legendary weapons namely Yato, Siegfried, and Raijinto, so we could easily assume their wielders would be present as well, with of course other popular royal family members like Camilla and Takumi.

The thing that bothers me a bit is that they decided to make up most of the roster from these 3 titles.

While I understand their choice behind focusing on Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates. I don't exactly agree with it...sure Awakening and Fates sold the best to my knowledge and they want to follow the money by adding in the characters from said games. However I think they are alienating many long term fans who don't exactly flock to the 3 previously mentioned titles.

Conceptually they said they didn't want this game to be a gathering of heroes from across the franchise. Which in hindsight is exactly what FE: Heroes is....However, That is exactly what I and I believe most people were expecting or at least wanted. To play a Musou game with their favorite FE heroes from throughout the franchise's history.

I'll end by saying that I feel like they kinda dropped the ball on this and the next trailer hope to sell me on it's gameplay and features...as this was the game I was planning to buy a Switch for.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I give you Corrin, but why not Sigurd or Eliwood instead of Xander. All are on horses. How about Lyn instead of Lucina, that way we don't have 2 Marths. And Ike and Roy could do everything Ryoma do and each have an extra of axes or flame sword.
Who the fuck is Sigurd?
It takes less time and resources to clone to create, it's not a fight for "slots".
Ryoma has a lightning blade; don't keep hanging on to weapons they coulddddddddddddddddd use.
After reviewing this news, I'm very conflicted with the direction this game is headed.

I get it...

You need Marth and whether you like him or not, he is(or his sword is) the Mascot of the franchise.

In the announcement trailer we saw Chrom, and Fate's Legendary weapons namely Yato, Siegfried, and Raijinto, so we could easily assume their wielders would be present as well, with of course other popular royal family members like Camilla and Takumi.

The thing that bothers me a bit is that they decided to make up most of the roster from these 3 titles.

While I understand their choice behind focusing on Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates. I don't exactly agree with it...sure Awakening and Fates sold the best to my knowledge and they want to follow the money by adding in the characters from said games. However I think they are alienating many long term fans who don't exactly flock to the 3 previously mentioned titles.

Conceptually they said they didn't want this game to be a gathering of heroes from across the franchise. Which in hindsight is exactly what FE: Heroes is....However, That is exactly what I and I believe most people were expecting or at least wanted. To play a Musou game with their favorite FE heroes from throughout the franchise's history.

I'll end by saying that I feel like they kinda dropped the ball on this and the next trailer hope to sell me on it's gameplay and features...as this was the game I was planning to buy a Switch for.
I like how you're so fixated on the characters that you failed to comment on the gameplay that is described here.

I hate how the first real news we get for this is so utterly disheartening. I was hoping to play as popular and beloved characters with a few fan favorites thrown in as a grand celebration of the series... but instead we get three games and four bullshit OCs no one wants. Sigh. They could have at least used the characters from Heroes, since that already has the "crossover story" thing going for it.

I hate that we basically already know the entire roster by what we've been told. It'll be Marth, Caeda, Tiki, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, the Fates royal siblings, and Azura. And four OCs because of Reasons. Maybe if we're lucky they'll throw in some other fan favorites like Tharja.

I was so excited for this game and they just. Kiiiiiilled it.

TDLink

But really, who the fuck loves Shadow Dragon/FE1? The most boring, characterless entry in the series, by design of course--by being the primitive original game.

I get having Marth. As well as recurring characters that are in multiple games like Tiki and Anna. But anyone else? Why?

To have that be one of the three main focuses is just mind boggling to me.

PK Gaming

Super 100% Accurate Roster Prediction:

Archanea
-Marth
-Caeda
-Catria / Palla / Est
-Minerva
-Tiki
-Hardin

Awakening
-Chrom
-Lucina
-Robin
-Gaius
-Tharja
-Cordelia
-Owain
-Severa
-Inigo

Fates
-Corrin
-Ryoma
-Xander
-Takumi
-Leo
-Sakura
-Elise
-Hinoka
-Camilla

Other (we want to make money)
-Lyn
-Ike
-Roy
-Anna
-Eirika*
-Ephraim*
-Hector*

*If there's any justice in the world

The vast majority of characters will be from Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates.
tumblr_inline_mi04cfnNuj1qz4rgp.gif

Ugh. I get those are the games that saved the series, but it ruins the chances for some really good Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn characters.

syncyes

Vast majority means that there will be a few non Archanea/Awakening/Fates characters, which is honestly more than I expected, so I'm fine with this.

Not happy about it, but fine.

NeonZ

I expect each main series to get one villain since they'd need antagonists for the story. Camus seems an obvious choice for FE1, but I guess it gets harder to dump one of the main cast for an antagonist in Awakening and Fates. Although I guess with Fates they could just make the Norh crew antagonists too for some reason.

Josephl64

But really, who the fuck loves Shadow Dragon/FE1? The most boring, characterless entry in the series, by design of course--by being the primitive original game.

I get having Marth. As well as recurring characters that are in multiple games like Tiki and Anna. But anyone else? Why?

I do, I like FE1 more than FE6-9 & FE13-14. Mechanics are outdated, but I just find it much for fun, it has a certain charm to it.

People just have different tastes. Besides to ignore a cast that's part of 2 games(not sure if we're getting FE3/12 exclusive characters. If we are then that would be ignoring 5 games including BS. Not to mention how Marth's tale is the face of Fire Emblem...well, was until Awakening.

This is what I assumed would happen, but I was hoping they'd include characters from other entries too. Hopefully characters like Lyn, Hector, Ike, and others from the GBA/Tellius games will make an appearance as DLC, or even Alm or Celica from Echoes/Gaiden. I'd like to see some more non-lord characters too, and I'm sure we'll get a few, but it's not quite what I'd hoped for in terms of roster as a long time fan of the series.

Still curious to see how they've tweaked the Warriors gameplay with Fire Emblem mechanics, or if they even bothered.

SkyOdin

I actually like the Shadow Dragon world and cast. I always thought that Awakening made the world so much more dull than it originally was in Shadow Dragon, which negatively impacted the cast. The various countries and layers to the conflict in Shadow Dragon gave it some interesting depth, even if the usual writing was pretty basic.

Besides, it does have some cool characters: Caeda, Ogma, Navarre, the Whitewings, Minerva, Hardin, Merric, Linde, and Tiki are all pretty interesting and memorable. For villains, Shadow Dragon fares better than average, thanks to Camus and Michalis. A lot of Fire Emblem games copied large chunks of Shadow Dragon's cast wholesale, only changing names and personalities to look like new characters.

Top Bottom