• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch |OT| With Me

mbpm1

Highly recommend turning OFF the map location and new goals notifications. It's fun using the map without a magic mark showing where you are. There's more than enough landmarks to get your bearings.

I'll keep this in mind but I'll probably get lost forever.

My sense of direction knows nothing

Samboread

Just Finished, Awesome game! Really enjoyed the storytelling, the conversational aspect was like you were experiencing the game with someone else,
you never see her but get to know her.

So happy I got the game!

So, does this play ok with the Xbox 360 / Xbox One controller? About to pick this up on Steam... Can't wait.

Works Pretty well with 360 controller, although had to change the control settings to controller manually.

iddqd

Thought it was a nice little adult story.
Had great moment, I'm totally fine with the ending.
Glad things like this can exist in gaming.

Roni

Gold Member
Just finished the game, pretty cool ride. It's got that Dear Esther, Gone Home vibe. Definitely goes into the bin of games I'd recommend people who don't game to try out if they want to know what this hobby is all about: simple gameplay, good mystery/suspense, some choices the game lets you make.

mbpm1

haha, My bad.. Its not a spoiler though... ;)

It's a potentially rather important mystery which is now solved ahead of time tho

I mean, it's a 4 hour game so I'm not too put out but it's like knowing Ryan Reynolds
never gets our of the coffin
in Buried.

Want to stay away from spoilers so ill ask here. Got a question for those that finished the game.

i just got the key and went through the cave. I found Ned and Brian's camp site. Where the hell do i go now? I cant go down the hill because its too steep but that looks like the only way out. There is a cracked rock at the top i can do nothing with. Im seriously stuck.

Certinty

I can see why people said this wasn't really comparable to The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Only played a bit so far and I'm already enjoying this a lot more, just feels so much more alive and detailed.

On that note I might as well ask, I've always wanted to play Gone Home, is that more similar to this or the other two games I mentioned?

TUSR

Banned
Want to stay away from spoilers so ill ask here. Got a question for those that finished the game.

i just got the key and went through the cave. I found Ned and Brian's camp site. Where the hell do i go now? I cant go down the hill because its too steep but that looks like the only way out. There is a cracked rock at the top i can do nothing with. Im seriously stuck.

On the table in Brian's hideout there is some climbing supplies, grab them and use them on the cracked rock.

mbpm1

Thanks, guess I'll be avoiding that then. $20 for a 90 minute game seems too excessive anyway so probably best this way.

I loved the shit out of it bc of 90s feelings and basically being a walking version of a YA teen novel

But people definitely hate it for that as well which i get.

Just finished and it was fan-fucking-tastic. I haven't found a game I've enjoyed in ages and this was definitely worth the purchase price. Plus, look at this beautiful view in max resolution on Ultra. http://i.imgur.com/rkeHRPj.jpg

I'm just sad that I never even got to see a picture of Delilah.

AEREC

So looks like my game just got an update on steam and now the game has letterboxes. I cant stand letterboxes in games for some reason...is there anyway to turn this off? Oddly enough the main menu isn't letterboxed but as soon as I continue my game it is.

Moss

So looks like my game just got an update on steam and now the game has letterboxes. I cant stand letterboxes in games for some reason...is there anyway to turn this off? Oddly enough the main menu isn't letterboxed but as soon as I continue my game it is.

Oh man, sorry to hear this. Can you send your save to support@camposanto.com?

Saves are found C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\CampoSanto\Firewatch\saves\

owlbeak

Loving this game! Very intriguing story so far, I can't wait to see what happens next. And it's a beautiful game.

Performance on PS4 is a bummer, though. :[

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Into Day 2. So far so good, but I love these atmospheric games.
Some performance issues here and there, bit overall ok. Using PC.

Some of the things are a bit of a pixel hunt to activate or radio in.

Moss

Sent and thanks!

There isn't a config file where it can be disabled is there?

I suspect that somehow the black cutscene bars have been activated and will never go away, so we'll look into your save and try and fix it for you. Thanks for sending it.

BraXzy

I just started Day 3. It's super late and I don't want to get deep into the game and have to go to bed. For anyone who has finished/nearly finished, would now be the best time for me to put a pin in it and finish the entirety of what's left tomorrow?

Absolutely loving the game and the atmosphere and the characters so far. Bravo Campo Santo :)

finalflame

kWsKf8E.gif

WebM

I'm finally home from work, GAF. Time to play with some mood lighting.

Moss

I just started Day 3. It's super late and I don't want to get deep into the game and have to go to bed. For anyone who has finished/nearly finished, would now be the best time for me to put a pin in it and finish the entirety of what's left tomorrow?

Absolutely loving the game and the atmosphere and the characters so far. Bravo Campo Santo :)

Personally I think this is a great time to take a break.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
As a tip for those wanting crosshair-less screenshots (early-ish item spoilers)
The crosshair vanishes for about a second after you put the disposable camera away, you can use that window to take cleaner screenshots.
I still wish there was a way to completely disable the HUD, or at least the crosshair.

AEREC

I suspect that somehow the black cutscene bars have been activated and will never go away, so we'll look into your save and try and fix it for you. Thanks for sending it.

Thanks for the help...if it's not possible then I don't mind starting over since I've only just started day 2.

jediyoshi

The crosshair and the body animations are really putting me off. They are so unnecessary and are just in the way.

The crosshair not being optional is one thing, but it's very necessary. Lack of a focal point for the user in first person games is a one way ticket to motion sickness.

Lister

Banned
Man this game looks beautiful, runs amazing on my PC at 1440p too.

Only touched it so far, but I'm already hooked on the story. Steam controller works perfectly with this btw. It's got full support for simultaneous mouse and game pad inputs, but a seperate control setting in the options so you won't lose game pad button prompts while using the right pad as a mouse.

The crosshair not being optional is one thing, but it's very necessary. Lack of a focal point for the user in first person games is a one way ticket to motion sickness.

That doesn't make any sense at all, but sure, it's great for people who want it. Should totally be an option though.

epmode

This is true. It's nice to have the option for those of us that don't get sick though. Maybe bury it in an INI or something.

That doesn't make any sense at all
It's legit. Focal points help prevent motion sickness in games.

jediyoshi

That doesn't make any sense at all, but sure, it's great for people who want it. Should totally be an option though.

You mean intuitively it doesn't make sense? Because "functionless" crosshairs (in lieu of something like a gun view model) to reduce motion sickness have been a thing for a while, it's specifically why Mirror's Edge had one. The logic followed from ballerinas who focused on a single point in their vision to avoid dizziness while spinning. There was even that VR study a while ago pointing out how "virtual noses" helped reduce motion sickness.

Top Bottom