• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch |OT| With Me

You mean intuitively it doesn't make sense? Because "functionless" crosshairs (in lieu of something like a gun view model) to reduce motion sickness have been a thing for a while, it's specifically why Mirror's Edge had one. The logic followed from ballerinas who focused on a single point in their vision to avoid dizziness while spinning. There was even that VR study a while ago pointing out how "virtual noses" helped reduce motion sickness.

No, I mean it doesn't make sense to apply this to everybody. Not everybody get sick of games without a crosshair.

I mean if anything it makes me more dizzy if I'm trying to focus on the environment while there's a circular dot in the way. It totally makes sense in a game where you aim, but here?

Aizo

Banned
Just finished. I found a few things in the intro pretty relatable. Hell, I lived in Boulder for 3 years. Felt kinda weird.

I found my boombox. I wish it still played my favorite song...

Overall, while it may not have ended the way I wanted, it was very interesting. I enjoyed my time with it, and it made me feel a few things I didn't expect it to.

CHC

Got some Bloodborne fans at the studio eh?

(click to see the image, minor easter egg)

Xu7S7uZ.jpg

I'm about an hour into the game and...WOW. The intro is
a real gut punch.

This is definitely the sort of game where I'm obsessively grabbing screenshots, so I made a 1920x1080 wallpaper out of my favorite one so far. This is currently what's gracing my desktop, and I thought I'd share if anyone wants it.

It doesn't give away any information, but it is from the intro so I'm throwing it in some spoiler tags just in case. Click to see the image.

It's the first game I've played with native Steam Controller support and I love it! I didn't have to touch any control settings, it was perfect out of the box,

border

I am super-disappointed to hear about all the performance issues on PS4. I wish there was some way I could get an idea of how bad they are....I am curious if "unplayable" is really just hyperbole or if it really really does get in the way of enjoying the game.

finalflame

Playing on PS4. Game just got stuck on the beginning of Day 2. I went to go pick up the walkie-talkie, but it disappeared from the base but did not appear in my hand. Result was the game was still responsive but I couldn't use the walkie-talking even though the icon was on the screen.

Nothing seemed to fix it. Had to force close the app and restart. The save point took me back to before the end of day 1.

The performance isn't great, but I can deal with the stuttering I've seen so far. However, if the game continues to glitch like this, and misses triggers/events that kills progress, I will just set it down and consider this $20 wasted.

It would be nice if one of the devs could address whether this is some kind of scripting bug and if there is a way to avoid it.

I am super-disappointed to hear about all the performance issues on PS4. I wish there was some way I could get an idea of how bad they are....I am curious if "unplayable" is really just hyperbole or if it really really does get in the way of enjoying the game.

Coming from someone who just finished the game, it's still definitely playable imo and I think people are over reacting about it.

If this game was a shooter, it would definitely be a problem. But for what the game is trying to be, I was able to easily deal with it.

It didn't stop me from enjoying the game that's for sure.

e90Mark

Just finished the game in about 5 hours. Really well done, loved it. I've never played Gone Home or anything like it, so I had no idea what to really expect.

I'd like to read more on the story, as I don't think I fully grasp it and I also have questions. The game had me feeling all sorts of emotions. Definitely a roller coaster for me.

Ran well on a 970. 100+ FPS on Ultra at 1080p. I definitely appreciated being able to turn off head bobbing, that was a life saver.

Definitely worth the price, play it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Is this a horror game? I watched someone stream it, read a bit of the OP and the idea of a man watching you puts me off a bit, it looked really clean and nice, but I cant do the horror thing.

Compsiox

Banned
Is this a horror game? I watched someone stream it, read a bit of the OP and the idea of a man watching you puts me off a bit, it looked really clean and nice, but I cant do the horror thing.

Not at all. There's only 1 part that could be considered scary and there is an optional jump scare you may never run into.

e90Mark

It's more of a mystery than a horror, although that premise did put some horror into me.

_Isaac

Got to start it a little bit ago. Lovely game other than not being able to get my DS4 controller working correctly (kept spinning out of control).

Neku054

Neo Member
Was pretty disappointed with the Performance with the game on the PS4 and also the last 30 or so minutes of the game were... Dissatisfying or i guess maybe confusing (curious if anyone else had an issue here too). Otherwise a solid 5-6 hour game.

AsfaeksBR

Anyone hear that you can print the photos you take with the camera and let them be delivered to your house for $15? How can I do that?

Funny seeing the talk of the crosshair being used to mitigate motion sickness in this thread, because oddly enough I'm getting a faint nausea from Firewatch. It might be slightly worse than what I felt initially from The Witness, plus I stopped getting headaches pretty quickly in The Witness but my second stint in Firewatch is actually slightly worse.

I hope this isn't me aging into motion sickness from first-person games, because this is a worrying trend for me.

aro52

Late game spoilers. Question...

So I'm back in the cave "to go deeper", but I'm not finding cracks to mount the gear in. I am assuming it's gotta be this shaft with the shoe, but I'm not getting a prompt anywhere. Feeling like an idiot here!

CHC

I haven't finished it but I am decently far. I feel like it's a playable creepypasta story haha.... there's sort of a Ted's Caving Page type vibe to it. But no it's not a horror game and it's not (on a moment-to-moment basis) scary to play.

shwimpy

So I'm back in the cave "to go deeper", but I'm not finding cracks to mount the gear in. I am assuming it's gotta be this shaft with the shoe, but I'm not getting a prompt anywhere. Feeling like an idiot here!
Right near the door entrance.

Took me a while to figure it out.
Go back to the entrance with the gate, a bit further up you'll see a big hole you have to go down on the right. They'll be a crack on a rock on the left side wall, it can be hard to see.

Does anyone find the vibe of this game similar to Kentucky Route Zero at all?

Not a horror game, but has it's moments of eeriness. I can't point my finger on it, but it reminds me of KRZ for some reason, if just for a bit.

I mean this as an ultra compliment, by the way. I love KRZ and I love what I've played of Firewatch so far.

Run into three glitches so far on ps4

-got stuck elevated in the air day 2
-day 3 spoilers
could not repair the window had found the final wood board but no prompt
-
day 15 won't load had to shut down the app

If you guys run into any glitches like I have I highly recommend loading your last auto save.

I'm loving this game's vibe and style but it's frame rate and performance on ps4 is disappointing

ike_

Finished it tonight and I liked it a lot. It nailed the things I look for in these kind of games.

Those Idle Thumbs ding dongs were really involved with this game? I still don't believe it.

calder

Just played a half hour, really liking it a lot. Exactly my kind of game.

I will say thanks to Long Dark every time I enter the tower I scan for a rifle. ;)

Finished it tonight and I liked it a lot. It nailed the things I look for in these kind of games.

Those Idle Thumbs ding dongs were really involved with this game? I still don't believe it.

Why not? They often offer genuine insight into game design during their discussion and all of them have been involved in well-regarded story-based games before starting Campo Santo. (Granted, there was a period of more than a few episodes where the discussions got a little annoying at times. They've had a return to form in the past few months.

Got through day 1 on ps4.

Honestly unless performance gets much worst it's doable. As others have said for the type of game it is, it's not that bad. Not optimal by a mile, but unless you're someone thoroughly bothered by frame dips and occasional stutters (imho not that occasional) you'll be fine

BraXzy

Does anyone have a link to the EU store version of the PS4 theme? Had a quick look on my PS4 before but could only see the game and the bundle :(

It wasn't unplayable for me. Beat it in a single sitting. Had to restart the game once since it froze while loading. Despite the fps drops and a weird blurry effect near the end of the game, I enjoyed it immensely.

Chabbles

Got through it in about 4 hour, and overall enjoyed it
.But i was waiting for some big twist at the end that never happened, they could have taken the story to crazier places, all so tame by the end really
.The framerate on PS4 isnt great, but still playable unless you're very sensitive to it id say.

ike_

Why not? They often offer genuine insight into game design during their discussion and all of them have been involved in well-regarded story-based games before starting Campo Santo. (Granted, there was a period of more than a few episodes where the discussions got a little annoying at times. They've had a return to form in the past few months.

Yeah sorry I was being a little sarcastic, but even so with the combination of insight and wackiness from that podcast I honestly didn't expect a game quite like this. And I think what they nailed most was the understatedness of it all.

Either way I refuse to back down from my stance that they are total ding dongs.

Top Bottom