• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch |OT| With Me

Just finished the game after about 4 hours.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's great and atmospheric, and holy shit, a story told with love and respect.

Well done guys. Please put the soundtrack separately on Steam, as I'd like to buy it as well at some point.

justjim89

My problem ended up being the integrated card, so thanks for the tip. Set it to my Geforce card and it's running great on high now, no glitches. Made it through Day 1, really enjoying the conversational dynamic between the characters, and the world looks great.

Moss

My problem ended up being the integrated card, so thanks for the tip. Set it to my Geforce card and it's running great on high now, no glitches. Made it through Day 1, really enjoying the conversational dynamic between the characters, and the world looks great.

Great news. Glad to hear it.

Downloaded last night and was able to.play though about 45 minutes this morning. Just started day 2.

Only minor stuttering so far. Im on ps4

So far so great. Like the mysteries its setting up. Great looking game and the characters are top notch. Cant wait to play some more

Animator

I don't think the refund system was intended for people who have beaten the game. It would be like watching a movie to completion at the theater and demanding a refund.

Sorry i misread then. I thought he only played an hour and asked for a refund. Beating the game and asking for one is shitty form.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How does this game compare to other exploration-based titles like, say, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter?

Finished it today. I'll just be vague in my comments.

I think the color palette in the game is perfect and wonderful, but it is a technical mess at times with things clipping, flowers floating or hovering above the ground (or seeming to, as I couldn't see stems), and a poor framerate. That, and I think there are areas of this game that are drab in comparison to other locations. The atmospheric changes near the end were great, and as far as establishing mood through those changes and color, this game nailed it.

Controlling the walkie-talkie was fun, but there were instances where I would be in the middle of a conversation while on a rope, and I couldn't respond before the timer ended. This would be ok if there was consistency to things, such as I can't talk at all when i'm on the rope. Yet, I can, and I just can't choose dialogue because of the controller scheme. I also had issues with the target size of objects where I should be able to interact, but I was too close to something and was unable to get the prompt to appear. But, the biggest issue I had was traversing the land. I didn't like the movement at all; despite all the animation and bobbing, it never felt right. Moreover, it was slow to move around, and, again relating to the prompting problems I mentioned, I'd have to fiddle around at times to make sure I could grab a rope or jump a ledge, and there were times when I had to jump across rocks on water, but it was inconsistent on whether I actually had to hit prompts to jump or I could just run across. Ledges that should have been navigable were not, and so a lot of time was spent running along a ridge or shallow hill, pressed against the wall, until I found the spot that let me up or down. And there were times where I knew what to do and went to the designated location only to realize I didn't complete some scripting event, and so I had to go back, trigger it again, and then return to where I was. But since I found the whole traversal in the game to be a chore, I just became frustrated and that's where I took a break. (beat it in two sittings; can't imagine it took much more than 4.5 hours).

I also just have general issues with the design on the game. Locations are either very specific or vague ("back of the lake" didn't mean what I thought it should be). The pacing of narration and locations were often too short (meaning, I'd arrive at a spot early, still listening to the previous dialogue, and then have to sit and wait until it finished so I can call out the next dialogue spot). That, and because this game is outdoors, it is incredibly bare at times with the exception of two spots. Yet, in those two spots, where you can pick up and examine objects, there's no real desire to because they aren't interesting; it's not like Gone Home's level of detail or interest. I suppose the argument can be made that the environment itself is the focal point, but with the technical problems and glitches I had, that wasn't enough.

As for the story, the writing is generally very good and the voice acting is great. The opening was just ok to me, but not at all impactful or emotional primarily because of the simplistic way it was done
(black screen with text)
, and maybe because I've seen the movie
Still Alice
. Again, I'll be vague but tag this nonetheless,
I think the mystery and macguffins work well for the most part, but I've seen them be used more effectively in Gone Home and Dear Esther. Some character motivations don't work for me, but they at least exist which is more than most games.

I think I'm just disappointed because of the talent involved and the lack of polish, both technically, mechanically, and in some of the game design, and because of Panic's involvement and my familiarity with their products. It's not a bad game, but I was expecting something more, and better. And if this gets this style of game into the hands of those that either don't play games (John Gruber in recent podcasts gushing about the game) or even experienced players that wrote off Gone Home for petty or political reasons, then that's great. I love adventure and first person narrative games, but I just found this one to be near the middle of the pack.

Fret

I just refunded my purchase after hearing many negative reviews when it comes to the story, which apparently isn't very good. The Steam reviews are especially harsh.

I'll pick it up when its a bit cheaper, $25 AUD for a 4 hour experience that has a story I may not like is pretty expensive

neonille

I just refunded my purchase after hearing many negative reviews when it comes to the story, which apparently isn't very good. The Steam reviews are especially harsh.

I'll pick it up when its a bit cheaper, $25 AUD for a 4 hour experience that has a story I may not like is pretty expensive

You made a big mistake, the story is fantastic. People have some gripes with the ending, but it was alright if you ask me. Love the game, felt just right in every way.

Fret

You made a big mistake, the story is fantastic. People have some gripes with the ending, but it was alright if you ask me. Love the game, felt just right in every way.

well exactly, I don't want a story that ends just "alright", especially at the current price point :p

A story based game must have a good (if not great) story, to make up for the lack of gameplay. I'll play it eventually

Lime

Yup, I'm going to request a refund if Steam will allow it. After playing the game I was like "that's it?"

The story is disappointing. Although the writing isn't as bad as the usual video game bullshit we normally get, it's still underwhelming in terms of narrative structure.

Good craftmanship in terms of visual atmosphere and audio design, but man the experience as a whole just feels empty and shallow once you finish it.

Ferrio

Banned
Yup, I'm going to request a refund if Steam will allow it. After playing the game I was like "that's it?"

The story is disappointing. Although the writing isn't as bad as the usual video game bullshit we normally get, it's still underwhelming in terms of narrative structure.

I'm not going to put in a refund, but I will say it's one of the few games I've ever had buyers remorse for especially one that was only $20.

JonnyKong

One day late to the party, but I finally got to start this tonight. Played for roughly three hours (just unlocked the third trophy). Luckily it hasn't froze on me yet, but yeah, the stuttering framerate is quite something.

So far it is great, I've really enjoyed just pulling out my compass and going on a hike. I do wish something a little more exciting was going on, but I suppose that's the point of having a slow burn mystery like this.

Also, it saddens me that us ps4 owners can't get our pictures printed, I've taken some corkers if I do say so myself.

Lime

I'm not going to put in a refund, but I will say it's one of the few games I've ever had buyers remorse for especially one that was only $20.

20 euros is just too much and I impulse bought it because of the great initial word of mouth and the ideal to support different experiences. But the end result just wasn't good enough for 20 euros.

Welp. I beat it. I recommended my brother refunding it since he came out very disappointed. It'd be his first, I think. Now that I've also had my chance to get through the whole game, I'm actually agreeing with myself recommending a refund request, when I thought simply he just didn't like this kind of game.

It's not at all like I thought it would be. This game is not like it had been advertised. From trailers, I always felt like there would be more... suspense... maybe some thrills. I thought there would be something bigger. At least a big moment that would be built up to.

The writing was great to start with and it had the potential to go somewhere I may have found interesting, but the game ended just when it started to get rolling. If
Brian being dead and Ned being the mystery spook hiding out in the park was supposed to be the big moment... that fell on its face.
And what about
the tent with the three sleeping bags and the soil plots
? There could have been something good there!

It felt shallow, simply put. So beautiful, though. So damn gorgeous.

Lime

Honestly, I wasn't even that impressed by the visual aesthetics. It mostly just reminded me of Team Fortress 2 (which in itself is a cool and fresh aesthetic when it came out 8 years ago, I'm just not that impressed by this particular use of it)

Lime

Why were the reviews and word of mouth for this game so positive? I simply don't get it why anyone would hype or recommend this game without some significant reservations to both its narrative and its mechanics.

akileese

Awesome. The last patch that got pushed through broke the game. Won't run. Just crashes to desktop without even opening. Great job!

tuxfool

Banned
Why were the reviews and word of mouth for this game so positive? I simply don't get it why anyone would hype or recommend this game without some significant reservations to both its narrative and its mechanics.

Maybe you should deal with the fact that in life not everything is good all the time, or to your taste, instead of acting like an entitled child that doesn't pay for the things he consumes. You could have decided to stop playing at the 2h mark and then asked for a refund, but instead you chose to keep playing till the end.

Lime

Maybe you should deal with the fact that in life not everything is good all the time, or to your taste, instead of acting like an entitled child that doesn't pay for the things he consumes. You could have decided to stop playing at the 2h mark and then asked for a refund, but instead you chose to keep playing till the end.

ibmpnbals2ulodnfqru.gif

Did I kill your baby or something? Relax. 20 euros is a lot of money to me and the impressions that I got was that this was a really good game worth supporting - that's all I'm saying - but maybe you're right and I should stop trusting some people and not blindly follow some ideal of financially supporting different games when they end up being vapid fluff.

Sheesh.

ibmpnbals2ulodnfqru.gif

Did I kill your baby or something? Relax. 20 euros is a lot of money to me and the impressions that I got was that this was a really good game worth supporting - that's all I'm saying - but maybe you're right and I should stop trusting some people and not blindly follow some ideal of financially supporting different games when they end up being vapid fluff.

Sheesh.

Sometimes you have to live with mistakes. I saw Van Helsing in theaters. That's my cross to bear.

If I refunded every piece of media I didn't care for, I wouldn't have supported very many artists who are trying to make it in the world. Everyone behind Van Helsing non-withstanding.

(I will say, I'm about 1/2 way through Firewatch, and I'm digging it pretty well--but that's just me)

Good craftmanship in terms of visual atmosphere and audio design, but man the experience as a whole just feels empty and shallow once you finish it.

If you finished the game, please don't request a refund. The system really wasn't designed for that and it's not fair to the developer.

If you only played an hour or two, sure, go ahead.

Good lord, after reading the garbage about playing the whole goddamn game and requesting a refund, I had to buy it.

Straight garbage man. Shame.

Poyunch

So I saw there was a controller option for DS4 on the PC version. There's a note saying I might have to install third party software but plugging it in works more or less fine other than Square and Circle are reversed.

CHC

It's REALLY shitty to beat the game and get a refund, I have to say. If you beat the game then you obviously liked it to some small degree, be honest with yourself.

Just finish it about 30 minutes ago.

Half of me wanted this game to go on longer and explore an larger environment and have interactions between park rangers and visitors.

The other half enjoyed it the way it was. The story was ok, but the communication between Delilah & Henry is what hold my interest.

Overall Firewatch is a great game, fantastic soundtrack & visuals.
Really love the fact that you can disable the Henry indication on the map, which forces you to pay more attention to your surroundings, remember landmarks.

Best of luck to Campo Santo, and can't wait to receive my photos prints.

Lime

You're right that it's not cool to play a game and then request a refund. So I rescinded the request. I still didn't enjoy the game compared to the amount I had to pay (my economy is really, really bare-bones these days and I shouldn't have impulse spent the money)

My criticism of this game still stands and I would advise against anyone paying more than 5 bucks for this game (depending on your level of income, obviously). That's just my personal opinion if you want to measure a game's worth by its price of entry.

Moss

You're right that it's not cool to play a game and then request a refund. So I rescinded the request. I still didn't enjoy the game compared to the amount I had to pay (my economy is really, really bare-bones these days and I shouldn't have impulse spent the money)

Thank you. That's very honest and much appreciated.

Finished in four hours, loved every minute. Holy shit the story and dialogue was so good. I LOVED
that it didn't devolve into something supernatural (I was worried it might go all Uncharted/Tomb Raider on me), and that it was just two people over-reacting to some mildly messed up situations, weaving events together where connections shouldn't be made, and generally playing along with the popular acronym of "fear" - false evidence appearing real - due to the lonely nature of their jobs.

Also, really makes me think about the way I've dealt with hardships in my own life, and since I'm only late twenties it makes me think of the potential hardships still to come. Such a great dissection of the pointlessness of running away from your problems, yet at the same time shows how space and a fresh perspective can help you come to terms with them.

SO IMPRESSED! Also, so disappointed that such a huge number of people don't get the game. At least the critics got it.

Lime

Thank you. That's very honest and much appreciated.

Yeah sorry about that, I just put in the request immediately after finishing the game because of my situation and quick temper (money is very tight, I did a mistake by impulse buying it based on some blind ideal, and the system allowed it). The game is still good craftmanship, but the thing that is supposed to carry the game, i.e. its narrative, just falls apart as many other posters have explained better elsewhere. Congratulations on the hard work and good luck with your future endeavors - I'm sure things will be better next time around :)

Noctix

This might be a bit off-topic and i mean no offence to anyone but isn't this abusing the refund system since you have played through the whole game and want a refund because you didn't like it? Short games like these are going to suffer alot because of this kind of system. It's pretty much like going to the cinema and asking for a refund after you have watched the whole movie.

This might be a bit off-topic and i mean no offence to anyone but isn't this abusing the refund system since you have played through the whole game and want a refund because you didn't like it? Short games like these are going to suffer alot because of this kind of system. It's pretty much like going to the cinema and asking for a refund after you have watched the whole movie.

I think the anonymity helps. Most people would have the decency not to do that at the cinema, but having a really efficient online refund system like Steam has where nothing is face-to-face... just makes it too easy to exploit, and too easy to ignore the shame.

Also: "I know I ate that entire Mars bar but I actually regret doing that now. I'm supposed to be on a diet, it didn't really satisfy me as much as I hoped, and that 50p would have been better spent elsewhere. Refund please."

Noctix

It again depends: Let's say i am sold a car that was advertised to drive very smooth and when I drive it i realise it is not asking for a refund would be fine in that sense but if i drive the same car for a year and then say it's not as smooth and then it kind of gets odd. I mean if you didn't like it why did you kept driving? Again hypothetical example.

Again I am not judging anyone here. My only worried is that if this thing is considered an abuse and Steam decides to make drastic changes and we end up in a situation where we can't ask for refunds on broken games.

tuxfool

Banned

Steam certainly shouldn't be granting refunds for people that aren't even meeting their terms. There is a dude a few pages back that finished the game in 4 hours. Steam gave him a refund, despite policy stating one has to play under 2 hours.

There were two wrongs there, one was even asking for a refund after finishing the game, the second was Steam granting that refund.

YomommaZ

How come that bundle on PS4 is not discounted for PS+? It's cheaper to buy the game and a theme separate than getting a bundle.

Man I'm really enjoying this so far - beautiful visuals, rich narrative and wonderful overtones. One question though - how much weight do your decisions carry? I'm intrigued to know whether this is worth multiple playthroughs with different answers/actions.

So far I've been
taking every note and saving my camera roll for... well, something - I'm not sure yet!
. No spoilers please!

Top Bottom