• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch |OT| With Me

Can anyone please advise? I think I've entered a gamebreaking bug

On
day 79 you are told to pack up your belongings. I can't progress past this. I've put as many items away as possible whisky, wedding ring, bits and bobs. But noticed the typewriter is on the floor in my watchtower and I can't interact with it, it won't even let me pick it up. Nothing is triggering the next story objective?

TUSR

Banned
Can anyone please advise? I think I've entered a gamebreaking bug

On
day 79 you are told to pack up your belongings. I can't progress past this. I've put as many items away as possible whisky, wedding ring, bits and bobs. But noticed the typewriter is on the floor in my watchtower and I can't interact with it, it won't even let me pick it up. Nothing is triggering the next story objective?

Its a bug.

Solution below:

The issue actually just prevents a wave receiver indicator from being activated, but everything required to progress is still functioning. Consult the image below and you should be able to continue with Day 79.

http://i.imgur.com/dA215D3.jpg

Can you bring back
books
and put them on your shelf?

You can't "hold" them like you can other objects; the result is that carrying books back, which some members of this forum have done, involves going back to the lookout tower each time you want to put a book on the shelf.

Lunar FC

You can't "hold" them like you can other objects; the result is that carrying books back, which some members of this forum have done, involves going back to the lookout tower each time you want to put a book on the shelf.

Yeah I just started doing that. I'm sure somebody in the spoiler thread has a image of all of them on the shelf but I don't want to go in there yet.

I just beat the game.I really like it a lot, I mean, wow. I genuinely don't see the disappointment in the ending, unless you were expecting some sort of sci-fi twist, which, I think would have lessened the experience.

It's such a human story, I was engrossed the entire way through.

Just beat it, and loved it.

Really smart writing, fully conscious of the genre tropes it's using (and player's expectations of them) and smartly leverages them to instead tell a very human, and touching story while maintaining tension and mystery. I can see why people might have thought the ending was dissapointing I guess, but I much prefer what we got. This is a resolution that is pretty comfortable in the world of movies, but isn't nearly as tidy or pulpy as what videogamers are conditioned to expect, and is all the better for it.

The game isn't perfect. Apart from the unfortunate technical stuff, I would have liked to see the day to day job stuff fleshed out in a more active way. I think it's really really cool that you have a game where you're essentially a hiker, so I kinda wish there were some more interactive gamery stuff around that that could be woven into the narrative and relationship with Delilah, since the escape to this job is so important to the narrative I think there could have been cool gameplay scenarios around getting supplies or maintaining power, letting you fish, customize your lodge, etc. Just make it more immersive, which could also let the game last longer which would help build the feeling of knowing Delilah even further. On the same track, I also wish the world were livlier, as you spend most of the game hiking around it would be nice to see more fauna and flora and generally interact with it a bit more. That being said, it used its minimalism well, and turning off your position marker worked surprisingly well, and it was pretty cool navigating by map and compass.

But it's a very tight narrative with two endearingly flawed and human characters, and is a very unique concept. I loved all the small touches, like what you could radio about, or certain small descions getting little payoffs. Even certain things like looking at a certain thing while talking to Delilah occassionally yields new dialgue.

So yeah, I really liked the game. $20 well spent. And of course the art and music were on point as well.

I just beat the game.I really like it a lot, I mean, wow. I genuinely don't see the disappointment in the ending, unless you were expecting some sort of sci-fi twist, which, I think would have lessened the experience.

Totally agree. I saw pretty much everything about the ending coming, and I don't mean that in a bad way at all. The ending absolutely served the story and characters and narrative it had been building up and exploring to that point. This is a fully character driven game, and very grounded one at that, which is somehing game's don't often explore.

Jake

Went ahead and grabbed the PS4 version. Is it true turning off auto save can help with a tiny bit of the tech problems?

Yeah one of the most common hitches is the autosave, which happens very frequently. You'll have to save by hand of course, but it will clean things up a bit for you.

JRW

Well that wasn't a great ending, Just expected a little more I guess, Excellent game tho it kept me hooked til the end.

Ran solid 60fps on Ultra setting (1080P) with a 290x / Win 10.

Totally agree. I saw pretty much everything about the ending coming, and I don't mean that in a bad way at all. The ending absolutely served the story and characters and narrative it had been building up and exploring to that point. This is a fully character driven game, and very grounded one at that, which is something game's don't often explore.

It did such a great job of putting you in Henrys shoes and making you work your way through his budding friendship with Delilah, all the while expertly pacing a mystery that gave me
The Truman Show vibes, at least until it's revealed what actually happened
. The reveal of what was actually going on was an emotional gut punch. It's one of those games I can see myself replaying every year, like re watching a great film or miniseries.

I've also gotta
give props to whoever picked the Etta James song for the credits, perfect choice.

leng jai

Still debating on whether or not I'm buying the theme. The price is steep and I'm slightly soured on the game after finishing it :/

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I love an Olly Moss skybox.

Wanace

Still debating on whether or not I'm buying the theme. The price is steep and I'm slightly soured on the game after finishing it :/

Bought it, regret it. 3 hours of play. Would've liked to have literally watched fires and participated in the dialogue rather than go through that lame story.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just finished it, and reading some of the reactions reminds me of the Gone Home thread, and people seeming to want that story to have gone in a direction it really shouldn't have. Personally really liked how restrained the story turned out to be and these are hopefully easing us into more kinds of writing you don't associate with mainstream games.

Just beat it one sitting.

I loved it. LOVED IT.

Technical mess on PS4 with 3-4 hard locks but never had to do much more then close app and restart.so that was kind of disappointing.

As far as the story goes I thought it was great. It had me laughing and legit on the edge of my seat. The forest is a scary fucking place.

Anyways Bravo Campo Santo.

E-flux

In my case the problem was that nothing really got solved you and D just left and the credits roll things just didn't get wrapped up, some sort of text based epilogue would have solved all my problems with the ending, something that would let you choose what happened after your experience in the wilderness, did you go back to your wife or what? Did the mystery got solved or did you just bury it and let it rest.

In my case the problem was that nothing really got solved you and D just left and the credits roll things just didn't get wrapped up, some sort of text based epilogue would have solved all my problems with the ending, something that would let you choose what happened after your experience in the wilderness, did you go back to your wife or what? Did the mystery got solved or did you just bury it and let it rest.
Except that it makes sense, given what you know about the characters and their lives, that she would leave. You both came there to escape, not find a friendship or have this terrifying and ultimately somber experience together. At the end you both have to go back to your lives. A story doesn't always need to tell you exactly what happens to the characters for the rest of their lives. The story is just that summer spent as fire lookouts, and that's all it should be. This is very common in both film and literature, and honestly makes the story much more grounded and realistic than it otherwise would be. Campo Santo simply took the characters to their logical conclusions.

E-flux

Except that it makes sense, given what you know about the characters and their lives, that she would leave. You both came there to escape, not find a friendship or have this terrifying and ultimately somber experience together. At the end you both have to go back to your lives. A story doesn't always need to tell you exactly what happens to the characters for the rest of their lives. The story is just that summer spent as fire lookouts, and that's all it should be. This is very common in both film and literature, and honestly makes the story much more grounded and realistic than it otherwise would be. Campo Santo simply took the characters to their logical conclusions.

I don't need to know everything that happened afterwards but unlike films and books in this you can choose to go ham on the mystery or not really care about it at all, so for a player like me the ending was just underwhelming when they didn't tie up the ending. Hell, even a debriefing of the events would have helped the ending just so that players who wanted to expose what happened could or players who were content with what happened could have just sit silent and listen to somebody doing the debriefing.

Also i don't know why having an epilogue or some sort of a closure would make the story less grounded or realistic, if something it would make it more grounded for showing that there are consequences for what you did and didn't do.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i felt a bit underwhelmed after finishing it. the game looks beautiful and i really enjoyed the dialogue between henry/delilah but when the game ended i felt a bit disappointed.

however, i've been thinking about it a lot since finishing and i actually think it's great. the ending feels believable and exactly what would happen in real life. no huge government conspiracy or people following me and trying to kill me. delilah wasn't in on the conspiracy and nor was she just my imagination. the teens who went missing finally appeared and it turns out i'm not actually being framed for the disappearance. i just leave and go home back to normal life.

i've been looking for games like this. i just want more of it. I really hope the studio makes another game like this. i think they did a great job.

dock

Just finished this last night. Really enjoyed it, but the ending fell flat, and the
fog effect
near the end made me get stuck in a boring maze situation for a long while.

Narrative is amazing, especially given that I generally don't like games that won't shut up. I especially like the ability to choose replies with the trigger button, keeping the sticks free. Very smart.

Also amazing: playing this without the player position marked on the map! I'm quite inclined to get lost in games and real life, I have a very poor sense of direction, but the game is full of landmarks that make it much easier to get about. I'm really so happy that I played this way.

PS4 performance was choppy the whole way though, and it locked up once.

IMO this game feels a lot like Gone Home in terms of player experience, and I love the way they presented a story in an environment like this, and gave me enough activities to stay engaged.

Cade

Yeah, aside from the ending not necessarily hitting all my buttons / going where I wanted to, and the truly amazingly stuttery performance on PS4, I loved it. Beautiful game with great writing.

I did soft lock climbing a rock, but who can be mad when the rock is pretty and there's excellent dialogue in your ear and music just barely playing as you jump across the bridge to the rock?

nextwish

So I just beat it. It plays great and it looks great all maxed out, but I don't know about the story...
I was expecting the twist to be something more creepy/supernatural/ufos/ anything other than the ordinary
I did love the banter between the two.

Hit the exact same issue :(

I thought it was perfect, your final conversation with Delilah is basically the epilogue you're talking about, you can choose if you're gonna say whether you go back and see your wife and Delilah says earlier that
She's gonna send people to recover the body when the fire is extinguished

I also hate being told everything for certain in stories like this one, that sense of "draw your own conclusions," is way better, everything being tied up with a nice bow would have compromised the ending, everything is uncertain, like life.

Plasma

Banned

That's pretty much how I feel I just enjoyed how natural a lot of the conversations felt between the two, the dialogue was just top notch.

mattiewheels

Chris Remo should just become a dedicated composer from this point on, his score is amazing.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Loved this game to pieces!!! I will definitely be doing a few re-plays. I'm interested to explore more areas that I did on the first time though, and also interested to see all the different conversations I missed out on.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Absolutely gorgeous game. Loved every bit of it and even the ending which was really well done. Beautiful story that moved me like no other game has for quite some time, loved the characters.

Here are my camera shots from the game, don't click if you don't want spoilers. I started to use the camera more as a way for evidence then beautiful screenshots, was really interesting.

Just finished another play-through of Firewatch, and found answers to several questions I felt were unanswered during my first play-through (as it turned out, mainly because I overlooked clues at certain locations). I also came across information that I did not even know I had missed, as well as
a turtle
, and I thought to read what Henry was writing on his type-writer this time around, which I didn't the first time around, for whatever reason. It was also quite interesting to play now that I knew where the plot was heading, so that I better understood exactly what was happening to Delilah and Hank.

Overall, I felt that it was worth my while to play it again, and the intro still felt very impactful, though I did wished that some conversations would have been more flexible in terms of the outcome of what I said going into them.

Also, god damn it
Mayhem, you had one job
!

I also spotted a couple of graphical glitches, involving poorly aligned geometry, one near the buck in the intro sequence, and one near the supply drop-off location. I can post screenshots if the developers care.

phoenixyz

Just finished it. I liked it quite a bit, but also felt that the ending was rather weak.
There are all these red herrings throughout the story and the tension was heating up (pun intended) at the end and then it is all resolved in a few minutes in a really unsatisfying way. I think the game could have used more time. Both playtime and development time. Because up until there it is awesome.
Also is there ever a resolution to the thing where
D talks to somebody else while having the radio enabled? She then says she talked to someone work related on the phone but that literally happens when you are out investigating the cut phone line
Another small thing which bugged me was the terrible skybox. They make a game which takes place in the wilderness but the sky is a small cluster of stars copy pasted everywhere. Would it have been so hard to use the actual night sky instead so you can see real stars and constellations? I was actually really disappointed by this in the intro, when you sit at the fire and can look to the stars.

Also is there ever a resolution to the thing where
D talks to somebody else while having the radio enabled? She then says she talked to someone work related on the phone but that literally happens when you are out investigating the cut phone line

She was actually talking to another one of her Firewatch guys on the radio and accidentally left the frequency open to Henry, they address it about 3/4 of the way through the game. It seems like it was a way to make the player suspicious of things.

E-flux

I thought it was perfect, your final conversation with Delilah is basically the epilogue you're talking about, you can choose if you're gonna say whether you go back and see your wife and Delilah says earlier that
She's gonna send people to recover the body when the fire is extinguished

I also hate being told everything for certain in stories like this one, that sense of "draw your own conclusions," is way better, everything being tied up with a nice bow would have compromised the ending, everything is uncertain, like life.

Yes, but it wasn't D
who uncovered what happened to Ned and his kid, i did and i wanted to be the one who in the end solved the thing and not let D steal my thunder, i wanted to warn people that Ned was still stalking the woods and tell them to go bring his ass back to the society

If there was no mystery i would be okay with the ending since when you pack your shit you can leave certain items behind you indicating what Henry is going to do but way the mystery ended it just didn't give the needed closure.

For instance,
i took photos of every "crime scene" there was taking pictures before i touched the stuff so that if and when people would start pointing fingers there would have been evidence for what i said and not just words
but in the end nothing came out of it.

nahlakhai

Just finished it in a couple sittings after buying it earlier today. Technical problems aside, the writing and voice acting was great.
It only made sense for him not to ever meet her after never seeing her during the game, it would've been dumb to end the game seeing her for 2 seconds.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Do I just go ahead and buy this for ps4 and assume the issues won't get fixed. I really want to play.

JimmyJones

Banned
Last night I got to the part where
Delilah says she see's someone in your tower
then I requested a refund just after I stopped playing. I went to continue tonight and seen they had granted the refund. I ain't even mad honestly. I guess I expected a suspenseful horror game?
When you see the guy on the rocks watching you near the start I thought it was going to escalate from there and it never did.
I guess SOMA spoiled me.

Yes, but it wasn't D
who uncovered what happened to Ned and his kid, i did and i wanted to be the one who in the end solved the thing and not let D steal my thunder, i wanted to warn people that Ned was still stalking the woods and tell them to go bring his ass back to the society

If there was no mystery i would be okay with the ending since when you pack your shit you can leave certain items behind you indicating what Henry is going to do but way the mystery ended it just didn't give the needed closure.

For instance,
i took photos of every "crime scene" there was taking pictures before i touched the stuff so that if and when people would start pointing fingers there would have been evidence for what i said and not just words
but in the end nothing came out of it.

I think this comes down to the game being different from what you're looking for. Henry simply isn't a hero, he's a selfish person who has a good heart, he's flawed, like all of the games characters. You have choices, but they're choices that Henry would make, not yourself.

I was reading an article earlier (on Polygon I think) that describes it perfectly, "You are Henry but Henry is not you," which is pretty jarring when it comes to games. It was a concept I came to wrap my head around while playing it.

As for your second Spoiler, that also comes from you trying to play Henry as yourself, which is not what the game is about.
The "crime scenes" turned out to not really be crime scenes at all, except for maybe Brian, though it's hard to know if Ned did it or if it truly was an accident, another thing from which to draw your own conclusions.

I really think if you can put yourself in a different mindset, you'll enjoy the way the game ended more, or maybe not, I can't know for sure.

Looks like progress is being made with the PS4 performance. - https://twitter.com/thatJaneNg/status/698228565490315264
Jane Ng said:
I think people will be much happier with how Firewatch PS4 is going to look with the upcoming patch. It looks much better. still in test

And maybe as soon as next week? - https://twitter.com/thatJaneNg/status/698233925047619584
Jane Ng said:
hopefully next week. we don't get to release it, patches are vetted and certified through Sony first, so not instant

Graphical improvement as well? - https://twitter.com/thatJaneNg/status/698232666387312640
Jane Ng said:
oh yes. with some unity updates, we can now push shadow distance + draw distance a bunch, which is more like PC on high config :D

Upgrading to Unity 5.4 - https://twitter.com/thatJaneNg/status/698232908016979970
Jane Ng said:
they are backporting some into the 5.2.4, but next patch will be 5.4 which yes is apparently the one with "all the ps4 fixes" :\

seat

Last night I got to the part where
Delilah says she see's someone in your tower
then I requested a refund just after I stopped playing. I went to continue tonight and seen they had granted the refund. I ain't even mad honestly. I guess I expected a suspenseful horror game?
When you see the guy on the rocks watching you near the start I thought it was going to escalate from there and it never did.
I guess SOMA spoiled me.

Why did you expect a horror game? Where did you ever get that impression that this game would be one? It's a shame you didn't continue playing, this game is a wonderful experience.

120v

just finished it. wasn't quite what i expected but a great little experience

part of me wants to say i wish there was more, but then again i could see how things could get redundant. expected a little more exploration, a few more "zany" experiences like with the teenage girls. but it played things straight with the main narrative and the game is probably better for it

Amir0x

Banned
Man I am so glad they have the option to turn off location on map. They nailed the orienting yourself by landmark/compass/map aspect hardcore when you turn that shit off. They should make a hiking game like this with slightly more mechanical depth. Makes the experience really immersive.

Top Bottom