• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First DMC4 review

I reckon that many of the cut scenes will either be pre-recorded and tweaked in-game footage, or will run at 30 frames per second to allow for more direction and effects. I get the feeling that only the gameplay itself will run at 60. I'll be well impressed if EVERYTHING in both versions runs at 60.

antiloop

FahKcGjYZ.jpg

PS3 can not render skin in real time without it looking blocky?!

Left is from PS3 and the right one is from 360 version.
Both videos are really compressed but the PS3 version is definitely more compressed. PS3 version is also darker, or maybe it's the capture.. dunno.

I made it a bit brighter for better comparison.

antiloop said:
FahKcGjYZ.jpg

Both videos are really compressed but the PS3 version is definitely more compressed. PS3 version is also darker, or maybe it's the capture.. dunno.

Thank you. This should put this silly discussion to rest. The versions look the goddamn same.

Zabka

Kid Chameleon said:
I reckon that many of the cut scenes will either be pre-recorded and tweaked in-game footage, or will run at 30 frames per second to allow for more direction and effects. I get the feeling that only the gameplay itself will run at 60. I'll be well impressed if EVERYTHING in both versions runs at 60.
The 60 fps gamersyde capture of TGS 07 Trailer shows a significant difference in framerate between cutscenes and gameplay. Unless something changes from then until release, it's going to be 60 fps gameplay / 30 fps cutscenes, rendered in realtime.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

mintylurb

badcrumble said:
Thank you. This should put this silly discussion to rest. The versions look the goddamn same.
Don't worry. I'm sure fee will come up with something. Just give him a bit more time.

mintylurb said:
Don't worry. I'm sure fee will come up with something. Just give him a bit more time.
It's notable that people were previously saying "I'll get the 360 version for achievements" and as soon as it came out that the PS3 version has them too it was either "bu bu bu gamerscore" and then a big ol' leap to the whole 5GB install thing. Now that that's settled, it's looped back around to trying to find graphical differences where as far as we can tell there simply are none. We'll see when we play the game.

The 60 fps gamersyde capture of TGS 07 Trailer shows a significant difference in framerate between cutscenes and gameplay. Unless something changes from then until release, it's going to be 60 fps gameplay / 30 fps cutscenes, rendered in realtime.

As much as I love 60, I think the quality of the cut scenes will benefit because of this.

Rolf NB

andrewfee said:
The bright thing is nero's gun, it's a lack of anti-aliasing on the PS3 version causing the stair-stepped artefacts / "jaggies" (aliasing, not interlacing) and the video/screen is 1280x720 which is HD.

EDIT: I see you're talking about the screens yoboman posted. Hmm, not sure what's going on there.

EDIT2: It's spikes on the wall, and poor anti-aliasing at work:

Ah, okay. I didn't recognize them as spikes in the smaller pics, but I see it now.

Mrbob

C Warrior I guess you don't have to defend DMC4 against Ninja Gaiden 2. ;)

The system wars is tearing DMC4 apart at the seams. Self inflicted wounds!

God, is that what this thread is?

To the above, those screens aren't taken at the same moment. He's standing further to the left on 360. You can see the top shelf is less visible and the second pillar is partially visible on the right. edit lol stealth edit

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Prvt.Pegleg said:
You're only saying that because it isn't coming to the Wii.

? I have a wii so what does that have to do with anything?

but seriously, choose your console and do this.
scif4A7.gif

Loudninja said:
That want be enough for some people, it must be the best version.

But that has been discussed for all these pages, and they dont listen so this is a never ending cycle -_-

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think I might actually have to get it on 360 cause I like to share games with by friend and he doesn't have a PS3.

l'sob

Blimblim

The Inside Track
antiloop said:
FahKcGjYZ.jpg

Are we having that rather retarded conversation *again*? You are going to see more macroblocks on the PS3 side *because* on that particular screen the light is on our right, and thus the right (360) side of the face is brighter than the left (PS3) side. And macroblocks are much more visible in dark places.
If you watch the whole picture, there are dark places on the 360 side that have some pretty horrible macroblocks too.
And yes, the cutscenes are realtime, just like they were in Dead Rising and Lost Planet both.

Blimblim said:
Are we having that rather retarded conversation *again*? You are going to see more macroblocks on the PS3 side *because* on that particular screen the light is on our right, and thus the right (360) side of the face is brighter than the left (PS3) side. And macroblocks are much more visible in dark places.
If you watch the whole picture, there are dark places on the 360 side that have some pretty horrible macroblocks too.
And yes, the cutscenes are realtime, just like they were in Dead Rising and Lost Planet both.

The difference wouldn't be that instantaneous. There's no middle ground. Unless offcourse you're gonna claim the black border is the middle ground...

The Left Eye is actually brighter then the right one yet it has more artifacts as well.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Metalmurphy said:
The difference wouldn't be that instantaneous. There's no middle ground. Unless offcourse you're gonna claim the black border is the middle ground...
Keep in mind that antiloop has brightened the left side, so of course the macroblocks are standing out.
Anyway, enjoy the rest of this thread, I've already had this exact same conversation last month in another thread so I'm out.

Blimblim said:
Keep in mind that antiloop has brightened the left side, so of course the macroblocks are standing out.
Anyway, enjoy the rest of this thread, I've already had this exact same conversation last month in another thread so I'm out.

Just the left side? Then I kinda take what I said back.

OH MY FUCKIN GOD! -- this shit is still going on?

SOME OF YOU PEOPLE HAVE A SICKNESS. I HONESTLY CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE GAMETRAILERS 'compression' fiasco.

The versions look the same. FLIP A FUCKIN' COIN!

edit: I can understand the concern about getting the best version for your money, but this thread is about some german review. Furthermore, there will be a shit-ton of previews, reviews, videos, impressions (a fuckin demo that you'll play) and interviews coming in the next several weeks well before release.

I3rand0

C- Warrior said:

SOME OF YOU PEOPLE HAVE A SICKNESS. I HONESTLY CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE GAMETRAILERS 'compression' fiasco.

Seriously, this thread started off bad and now its just fucking pathetic. Lock this shit already.

A favor please, anyone who speaks proper German could you translate the part about the aliasing in the article... I may have spoken too soon about the aliasing. Now, my German is pretty darn bad, but it seems to me that the when they mention the aliasing being more prominent on the PS3 they're referring to the shadows not the overall image, yeah?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
C- Warrior said:

Some people just cannot leave well enough alone.

antiloop

Blimblim said:

Thanks for proving my point. Videos shouldn't be used for comparisons. Maybe if they are in raw? :)

Anyway if you look for yourself you can see that the PS3 version is more compressed. The life bar for example.

Mefisutoferesu said:
A favor please, anyone who speaks proper German could you translate the part about the aliasing in the article... I may have spoken too soon about the aliasing. Now, my German is pretty darn bad, but it seems to me that the when they mention the aliasing being more prominent on the PS3 they're referring to the shadows not the overall image, yeah?
Thats actually not quite clear. They are talking about the shadows having more aliasing in the PS3 version and the next sentence reads like a resume, that says apart from the aliasing in the PS3 version there are no notable differences between the two. The aliasing mentioned in the second sentence could refer to the shadows mentioned in former one, but the word "Kantenflimmern" is a very general term for aliasing, that could also refer to the overall image.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Quick and dirty:

"The shadows of the enviromental objects and the main characters seem to have a lower resolution and flicker (especially on PS3) quite heavily. Apart from heavier aliasing in the PS3 version there are no noteworthy optical differences between the two versions."

Make of it what you will. The aliasing in the second sentence could refer to overall aliasing or the aforementioned flickering/aliasing of the shadows. Guess we'll have to wait and see to unravel this important secret shrouded in mistery.

edit:
Damn, not quick enough. Beaten by slaughterking :(

Top Bottom