• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First DMC4 review

Dave1988

neojubei said:
There is one thing nagging on my mind, since this is capcom's first PS3 game will the manuals be in black and white like the PS2 capcom games or in color like in lost planet for the 360.

This is the PAL manual. The PAL manuals are always black & white.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Dave1988 said:
This is the PAL manual. The PAL manuals are always black & white.

Same with the cpacom PS2 manuals in America. DMC, onimusha, okami, ugh i hate it. Especially when i imported onimusha and okami from japan and saw how awesome the manuals were.

NeoUltima

Ok, I have not played a DMC game before, but I watched some gameplay videos for this and I like it. My question is, does the series have a deep story? Would I need to play the older games to get caught up?

Ynos Yrros said:
According to game director te installation process takes 21 minutes. During which you get informed about the story of DMC so far, so that's another plus.

:lol ssssspppppiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnn

Wollan

There's just some strong psychological connection with them using the Diablo font for the online and so on. I must have this game nomatter what now.

Drewsy

Banned
NeoUltima said:
Ok, I have not played a DMC game before, but I watched some gameplay videos for this and I like it. My question is, does the series have a deep story? Would I need to play the older games to get caught up?

Lol, no. Have you played ninja gaiden? Think that level of story crafting.

I feel sorry for 20gig ps3 owners, yes you can upgrade the hdd but it's not always an option.

If los tplanet requires an install also when it comes out you could say thats near 10gig gone already, you could uninstall them but you would have to sit there and wait for it to install when you play it again.

NeoUltima said:
No. I'm sure you can just read a wikipedia summary of DMC 1 & 3 to get the feel of DMC's story. If you are buying it for the PS3, it plays a summary video of the DMC series while it installs on your hard drive.

Kyoufu

Diablohead said:
I feel sorry for 20gig ps3 owners, yes you can upgrade the hdd but it's not always an option.

If los tplanet requires an install also when it comes out you could say thats near 10gig gone already, you could uninstall them but you would have to sit there and wait for it to install when you play it again.

1. I have a 20GB PS3, and this does not bother me at all, I have 10GB left.

2. Why would I buy Lost Planet?

Yoboman

There is an introductory movie/recap for those of you with ADHD, so you won't have to stare at an installation bar.

Steroyd

andrewfee said:
Doesn't it prove that the opposite is true? I'm not required to use 5GB to play the game on 360. (though it would be nice to have the option to do so if I wanted to)

No because the core sucks has longer load times and it sucks besides EVERY PS3 has a hard drive which is why capcom did what they did in the first place.

I am pleased after 500 posts we've somewhat moved from this "issue"

Mar

+ A good mixture of Rock and Classical music
- often repeating tracks
- Backtracking!
- No innovation
- Can become tedious

This sums up my feelings toward the entire DMC series, and why still to this day, DMC is the only game to ever make me almost fall asleep while playing it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Diablohead said:

Don't. ;)
Lost Planet will bomb on the PS3 unless it's priced @ $30 or below. I think that the 20 gig PS3 owners will be just fine.

mintylurb

neojubei said:
Wow there isn't enough faceplam gifs and rolls eyes gifs for this post. really. And isnt DMC4 on a new engine?
At least he isn't pretending to be some unbiased multi-console owner anymore.

angelfly

Yoboman said:
There is an introductory movie/recap for those of you with ADHD, so you won't have to stare at an installation bar.

It's not a movie. It's nothing but still images. :( Shane just confirmed it on 1up yours.

neojubei

Kyoufu said:
1. I have a 20GB PS3, and this does not bother me at all, I have 10GB left.

2. Why would I buy Lost Planet?

DON'T BUY LOST PLANET...........
unless capcom includes that awesome 8-bit online level

I3rand0

Diablohead said:
I feel sorry for 20gig ps3 owners, yes you can upgrade the hdd but it's not always an option

How is this "not always an option"?

neojubei said:
DON'T BUY LOST PLANET...........
unless capcom includes that awesome 8-bit online level

They are including all of the available DLC on PC and 360.

neojubei

I3rand0 said:
How is this "not always an option"?

They are including all of the available DLC on PC and 360.

Really? Ok, DON'T BUY IT!!!!

Its not an option because he is Diablohead. His PS3 does not have that option.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
never underestimate the ability of console warriors to seize on total non-issues. i saw this enormous thread and figured they'd given it a 3/10 or something

neojubei said:
what happened with the bioshock story?

SapientWolf said:
We were promised a DMC4 demo. Are they waiting until CES?

Guys, this isn't an official dmc4 thread.

This thread is about german reviewers and the review. It's already gotten to fuck and back with stupid ass installation talk bullshit. I still don't know why you're posting here.

can you post regular banter in any other dmc4 thread that doesn't involve ps3 versus xbox 360 bullshit, please?! this thread is 400 posts overdue. it's so hard to talk abotu the actual game with this shit going on.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
C- Warrior said:
Guys, this isn't an official dmc4 thread.

This thread is about german reviewers and the review. It's already gotten to fuck and back with stupid ass installation talk bullshit. I still don't know why you're posting here.

if i made a new topic i thinked id get attacked, sorry.

They sold bioshock a month before its release, same with Guitar Hero 3

Darkman M

Tiduz said:

Really? im tempted to jump on this but after that newegg Halo 3 fiasco im skeptical.

Tiduz said:

Take all conversation here. (it's essentially an unofficial thread).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222972&highlight=dmc4

Only post in this thread if you want to talk about the actual specific review. Other than that this thread is ass and should die or be locked. It's already terribly off-topic.

Banned
mintylurb said:
At least he isn't pretending to be some unbiased multi-console owner anymore.
Are you implying that I don't have a PS3? If there was a game that got me to buy the system at all, this is it, and now it looks like I'll probably end up buying the 360 version, which sucks. (I have no interest in stuff like MGS4 or GT5)

I'd like the uncompressed audio the PS3 has, and the elimination of load times is a nice idea if it were optional (I have over 95GB free on my 360, so I'd want to do that if I could, sucks that the option isn't there at all and I bet it's MS' fault)

I know it probably does come off as being biased, but look at it from my point of view:

The PS3 version costs £10 more here. (£12 if I wanted the LE) That's equivalent to $20/24 US so it's not insignificant.
The PS3 pad is better suited to this type of game, but I need to buy a DS3 to avoid dropouts and get rumble. (£40 to import as I don't think they're going to be out here by the time DMC4 is released) With a game like DMC, I'd say a DS3 is pretty much required if you're going to be playing on the higher difficulties as the game will be tough enough without losing control for 10-20s at random.
I'm required to use up 5GB off my drive. I have ~39GB free just now, but that doesn't mean I'm ok with it being required.
Graphics are apparently better on the 360. (minor texturing improvements, apparently anti-aliasing)
Uncompressed audio on the PS3, assuming I can still get uncompressed stereo audio in the game. I hate audio compression - I have a pair of Grado GS1000 headphones I use with games, so this is going to be very noticeable to me.
360 version was tearing in earlier vids - we don't know if it's been fixed, or if the PS3 does the same. Perhaps the texturing / AA hurts the 360 version - no point in a visual upgrade if it runs worse. A locked 60fps is far more important in DMC.
All my friends are getting the 360 version for rankings.
PS3 has a better video output. (360's output is too dark, PS3's is accurate)

So I'm completely torn over which version to buy. My head says to get the cheaper 360 version, but damn, I want that uncompressed audio and dual shock layout. This is probably the hardest multiplatform title to choose between so far, as everything else has clearly been better on one platform before. (or late, or identical) There are strong points in the favour of both.

But hey, at least it looks like the game itself is good.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
get the PS3 version, you will get a dualshock 3 later and DMC is one of those games many people replay, As you said you hate audio compression, the choice should be clear then, except if youre an achievement whore then i cant advice. :p

The ps3 version has rankings and accomplishments, so thats something that might help too. And accurate contrast is pretty important to me, especially since its in a kinda gothic setting, which tends to be pretty dark on itself.

As for dropouts, i dont have them with my old sixaxis nor dualshock 3, PAL user here. I dont know what you can do to fix that, Maybe try and trade it in for a new sixaxis?

Dahbomb

Jesus Christ at some of the nagging on this thread. :lol

"OMFG I AM FORCED TO SIT IN FRONT OF MY TV FOR 21 MINUTES!!!111 THIS IS CONSOLE GAMING NOT PC GAMING!!!! I AM GETTING 360 VERSION NOW ROAR!!!!11"

:lol :lol :lol

PS3 version is superior now that it has the Achievements as well. No reason to get the 360 version. This is the first multiplatform game that is better on PS3 in every category.

Dahbomb said:
This is the first multiplatform game that is better on PS3 in every category.

Unless I'm missing something it seems to be identical in every category, save for controller preferences and a small amount of time saving via installation.

Onions

Dahbomb said:

"OMFG I AM FORCED TO SIT IN FRONT OF MY TV FOR 21 MINUTES!!!111 THIS IS CONSOLE GAMING NOT PC GAMING!!!! I AM GETTING 360 VERSION NOW ROAR!!!!11"

PS3 version is superior now that it has the Achievements as well. No reason to get the 360 version. This is the first multiplatform game that is better on PS3 in every category.

graphics dont mean shit is suppose? just horsing around dude...

this thread is magnificant, just like 3 lads arguing who of them got the best pole-waxing by the 3rd prettiest girl out of three (which obviously are dmc4, gow3 and ng2)...

PJX

Dahbomb said:

In what universe?

llTll

Banned
Onions said:
graphics dont mean shit is suppose? just horsing around dude...

this thread is magnificant, just like 3 lads arguing who of them got the best pole-waxing by the 3rd prettiest girl out of three (which obviously are dmc4, gow3 and ng2)...

360 has better graphics? from the videos i have seen. they look the same. unless the texture on the sword is very big deal to u :lol

spwolf

andrewfee said:
Are you implying that I don't have a PS3? If there was a game that got me to buy the system at all, this is it, and now it looks like I'll probably end up buying the 360 version, which sucks. (I have no interest in stuff like MGS4 or GT5)

I'd like the uncompressed audio the PS3 has, and the elimination of load times is a nice idea if it were optional (I have over 95GB free on my 360, so I'd want to do that if I could, sucks that the option isn't there at all and I bet it's MS' fault)

I know it probably does come off as being biased, but look at it from my point of view:

The PS3 version costs £10 more here. (£12 if I wanted the LE) That's equivalent to $20/24 US so it's not insignificant.
The PS3 pad is better suited to this type of game, but I need to buy a DS3 to avoid dropouts and get rumble. (£40 to import as I don't think they're going to be out here by the time DMC4 is released) With a game like DMC, I'd say a DS3 is pretty much required if you're going to be playing on the higher difficulties as the game will be tough enough without losing control for 10-20s at random.
I'm required to use up 5GB off my drive. I have ~39GB free just now, but that doesn't mean I'm ok with it being required.
Graphics are apparently better on the 360. (minor texturing improvements, apparently anti-aliasing)
Uncompressed audio on the PS3, assuming I can still get uncompressed stereo audio in the game. I hate audio compression - I have a pair of Grado GS1000 headphones I use with games, so this is going to be very noticeable to me.
360 version was tearing in earlier vids - we don't know if it's been fixed, or if the PS3 does the same. Perhaps the texturing / AA hurts the 360 version - no point in a visual upgrade if it runs worse. A locked 60fps is far more important in DMC.

So I'm completely torn over which version to buy. My head says to get the cheaper 360 version, but damn, I want that uncompressed audio and dual shock layout. This is probably the hardest multiplatform title to choose between so far, as everything else has clearly been better on one platform before. (or late, or identical) There are strong points in the favour of both.

it seems you really want hard to buy 360 version so why not get it? PS3 version has rankings and I never ever got 10-20 sec sixaxis blackout and I dont remember when did I get my last one (which happens for up to 4-6 seconds)...

klee123

andrewfee said:

Just buy the 360 version then.

Firewire

Banned
5GB what?
35 minutes to load!
Lazy dev's using the HD!
But I have the option!
I don't care about load times!

Its an endless cycle of stupidity! Its funny what some of you Believe!

Onions

llTll said:
360 has better graphics? from the videos i have seen. they look the same. unless the texture on the sword is very big deal to u :lol

nvm,
i haven't seen footage of the different versions and hell, i dont even own one of these hd tvs so i wouldn't notice shit, either...
just wanted to respond to the juggernaut of stuff that is this very thread.
but at least i was right and the guy quoted by me was wrong, and i called it without having seen any footage. lolo owned!
what a feeling! :lol

Top Bottom