• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First DMC4 review

Dahbomb

Francias Castiglione said:
Unless I'm missing something it seems to be identical in every category, save for controller preferences and a small amount of time saving via installation.
Sorry I meant to say "PS3 version is at least as good or better in every category". Sort of got carried away with that post. :lol

Kyoufu

JB1981 said:
dmc 4 on ps3 pad - the only choice

Yeah. One thing I'm not looking forward to on the PS3 version is the DMC3 veterans kicking my ass in rankings.

I played DMC3 a hell of alot but there are some wizards out there...

karasu

I don't see why peole are acting like it's wrong to be annoyed by the mandatory installation. It's not really something that you have to defend. If you have the space for it, great. If not, you would be bothered by it too.

PJX

nelsonroyale said:
other sources said the ps3 version looked better to some degree...so that is still up in the air...

1up was the only source that made such claim but after playing both of them I think they are wrong.

JB1981 said:
dmc 4 on ps3 pad - the only choice IMO

Fixed

Dahbomb said:
Sorry I meant to say "PS3 version is at least as good or better in every category". Sort of got carried away with that post. :lol

Your Sony fanboy side has been itching to come out for the longest. You finally let it out :lol

ezekial45

Banned
This is the most recent DMC4 topic, so i'll just post it here.

Someone managed to upload the DMC4 soundtrack onto youtube. Enjoy them while we'll they're there.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vvw_3l9NH6U&feature=user

Just click on the more from Silentman tab to get to the others.

1. Out of Darkness
2. The Time Has Come
3. The Hell Gate
4. Stage I
5. Sworn Through Swords
6. Stage II
7. Temptation
8. Awaken
9. The Viper
10. The idol of Time and Space
11. Swipe Of Sword
12. Stage III
13. Lock and Load
14. The Gate Is Open
15. Shall Never Surrender (TGS 07 trailer music)

Blader

Dahbomb said:
Jesus Christ at some of the nagging on this thread. :lol

"OMFG I AM FORCED TO SIT IN FRONT OF MY TV FOR 21 MINUTES!!!111 THIS IS CONSOLE GAMING NOT PC GAMING!!!! I AM GETTING 360 VERSION NOW ROAR!!!!11"

:lol :lol :lol

PS3 version is superior now that it has the Achievements as well. No reason to get the 360 version. This is the first multiplatform game that is better on PS3 in every category.

Wow. Normally I'd remark at the sheer idiocy of your post, but it's really just par for the course for this thread.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
ezekial45 said:

Someone managed to upload the DMC4 soundtrack onto youtube. Enjoy them while we'll they're there.

1. Out of Darkness
2. The Time Has Come
3. The Hell Gate
4. Stage I
5. Sworn Through Swords
6. Stage II
7. Temptation
8. Awaken
9. The Viper
11. Swipe Of Sword
12. Stage III
13. Lock and Load
14. The Gate Is Open

nice find

Chris R

+ Camera???

Worth checking out then. I loved the Ninja Gaiden demo on the PS3, but would never ever buy the game because the camera belonged in my toilet.

MechaX

Well, so much for the prospect of people accepting the idea of a relatively equal multiplatform title.

Dahbomb said:
PS3 version is superior now that it has the Achievements as well. No reason to get the 360 version. This is the first multiplatform game that is better on PS3 in every category.

Good God, did your inner fanboy run amok on your keyboard when typing this one out. Despite seeming like the resident DMC fan on GAF, I'm having some serious issues thinking of the possibility that you weren't biased in favor of the PS3 version from the get-go.

Drewsy said:
:lol

As true as this is there's no way in hell I'm going to let the 360 pad hold me back. It's only a minor hurdle.

Indeed. While the PS3 pad might give an aura of being "better" mostly due to familarity, it's not as if the 360 controller is going to render the game absolutely unplayable, especially when considering the layout is almost the same. I mean, it's not like we're being forced to play DMC4 on a Gamecube controller.

Bookey

Professional Monk
ps3 version is the superior version though it seems, not like any version is bad or anything like that

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
andrewfree said:
Uncompressed audio on the PS3, assuming I can still get uncompressed stereo audio in the game. I hate audio compression - I have a pair of Grado GS1000 headphones I use with games, so this is going to be very noticeable to me.
Audio compression is specifically designed to remove sounds that humans cannot hear, as well as taking advantage of the redundancy in music. It is highly unlikely that you can actually tell the difference. If you don't believe me go try a listening test.

If you can tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed audio then the audio in the game is probably going to be thoroughly unimpressive for you. The DMC series isn't exactly known for high quality music and sound effects, which mostly serve as cues that tell you when to dodge an attack. It is also likely that the PS3 and PC versions will feature compressed audio as well, to save space on the HD.

If you want a game with phenomenal sound then I suggest you look towards EA titles like Burnout Revenge and Battlefield 2, or the recent Call of Duty 4 (which uses authentic weapon sound samples).

B-Ri

andrewfee said:
How can you say that? Have you even played the game?

You're part of the problem. It's not like 85 is even close to a low score.

What if you have a 40GB PS3? Only plan on playing 7 games? Messing about with uninstalling / reinstalling games you want to play? I bought consoles to get away from installing games.

then you go into game data, delete, done

your game saves are something completely different.

lets not blow a gasket. Watch out the PC REQUIRES INSTALL?!>?! JIGGA WHAAAT?!~

Mugen

Banned
Why is everybody getting all pissy about the mandatory installation for the ps3 version. In the long run, it's a blessing. Load times for DMC3 were absolutely horrendous and that's what you'll get without the hdd installation.

Mugen said:
Why is everybody getting all pissy about the mandatory installation for the ps3 version. In the long run, it's a blessing. Load times for DMC3 were absolutely horrendous and that's what you'll get without the hdd installation.
How does making the installation optional take away that ability? Also you can't install DMC3 to the hdd so your point is moot.

How much actual space is on the 20gb PS3 anyway?

Future

Brings me back to the old days on PS1 when you gotta shuffle your data around to be able to save your game. 5 gigs is a bit overkill and sloppy programming IMO. 25% of your hardrive just to even be able to see the game at all

Son of Godzilla said:
How does making the installation optional take away that ability? Also you can't install DMC3 to the hdd so your point is moot.

18GB

i think i mentioned it like 3x already in the thread.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the installation argument is tired and boring. Isn't there some other DMC4 detail we can argue over? Like "Is the game too easy?' or "Should they have included co-op?" or "Is Gloria wearing panties?"

Ashhong

Son of Godzilla said:

Why the hell do you guys think that the 360 has no option for optional install, on any game? Maybe it's MS, or maybe it's because then the developer has to account for the gamers stupid enough to not install it. Maybe it's a technical hurdle that they don't want to deal with. GAF really is ridiculous sometimes.

Drewsy

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the installation argument is tired and boring. Isn't there some other DMC4 detail we can argue over? Like "Is the game too easy?' or "Should they have included co-op?" or "Is Gloria wearing panties?"

Every discussion on gaming age eventually gets tired and boring by the time everyone has their say. 2007 brought in too many members, this place needs a good cleansing.

SapientWolf said:
How about why doesn't the PS3 version have AA? That's always a good one.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Drewsy said:
Every discussion on gaming age eventually gets tired and boring by the time everyone has their say. 2007 brought in too many members, this place needs a good cleansing.
New members or not, Neogaf was never a stranger to system warz. If it wasn't for the constant bannings there wouldn't even be any real discussion. Games would just be used as sock puppets for some other agenda. If this happens to the demo thread I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Maggot9

Banned
ezekial45 said:

1. Out of Darkness
2. The Time Has Come
3. The Hell Gate
4. Stage I
5. Sworn Through Swords
6. Stage II
7. Temptation
8. Awaken
9. The Viper
11. Swipe Of Sword
12. Stage III
13. Lock and Load
14. The Gate Is Open
that is awesome. Shall Never Surrender is awesome.

What res does the ps3 version run in, this is the killa to me. I need it running in 1080p or i so i can get 1:1 on my tv, I also have the 360 limited ed version preorded for the bargin price of £27.

Steroyd

SapientWolf said:

Trish would so totally spank Lady's ass everywhere.

*imagines Trish spanking Lady*

That's what I'm talking about.

Banned
h3ro said:
Just so this "OMG Graphix are roxors on ***" can stop... here is the GT comparo... looks DEAD EVEN...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29150.html

Doesn't look "dead even" to me. (could be the god-awful compression GT uses though) More aliasing, lower-res textures. The PS3 version had an extra effect on those ice enemies though, but that's probably an indication it's not from the final build.

supermackem said:
What res does the ps3 version run in, this is the killa to me. I need it running in 1080p or i so i can get 1:1 on my tv, I also have the 360 limited ed version preorded for the bargin price of £27.
That's a good point actually, and something I hadn't thought about. While it doesn't affect me right now (I'm using a CRT that can do 720p without scaling) if you've got a 1080p screen then you'd want as little lag as possible so the 360 one is better in that regard if the PS3 doesn't output 1080p.

Gave in and ordered myself a DS3 now, so I'll probably end up getting the PS3 version. Uncompressed audio, a more accurate video output (definitely noticeable with darker games) and a pad that should be better suited to it are winning out right now.

Yoboman

andrewfee said:

Doesn't look "dead even" to me. (could be the god-awful compression GT uses though) More aliasing, lower-res textures. The PS3 version had an extra effect on those ice enemies though, but that's probably an indication it's not from the final build.
The PS3 side of that video was significantly more compressed

bscap0002-1.jpg

bscap0007.jpg

Just look at the water

andrewfee said:

That's a good point actually, and something I hadn't thought about. While it doesn't affect me right now (I'm using a CRT that can do 720p without scaling) if you've got a 1080p screen then you'd want as little lag as possible so the 360 one is better in that regard if the PS3 doesn't output 1080p.

Gave in and ordered myself a DS3 now, so I'll probably end up getting the PS3 version. Uncompressed audio, a more accurate video output (definitely noticeable with darker games) and a pad that should be better suited to it are winning out right now.

Yeah the ds3 is alot better even just for the added weight, good to see a fellow digitalhobby forumite on here im mackemansj1 off there. Yeah the scaling issue is a big one for me, having everything upscaled on 360 is great scaling on my set of 720p content addes alot of aa etc.

sinnergy

I read some of the German review (and this is what they said, no fanboy stuff from me, I have both consoles and a DS3).

Small part:
The game looks great, has some clipping problems with enemies, and sometimes they disappear into walls. The shadows act a bit weird, object shadows and main character shadow have shimmering (especially on PS3) It even stood there like this between in the review ().

The way it was written makes me believe they also played the X360 version and that the shimmering is less in the X360 version.

Yoboman said:
The PS3 side of that video was significantly more compressed

bscap0002-1.jpg

bscap0007.jpg

Just look at the water

What am i looking at, wheres the difference there different shots one hes going through the water the other he isnt. They look the same to me tbh.

Drewsy

Banned
SapientWolf said:
New members or not, Neogaf was never a stranger to system warz.

I always assumed this was sarcasm. I guess being blissfully ignorant is the only way to keep sane sometimes.

Yoboman

supermackem said:
What am i looking at, wheres the difference there different shots one hes going through the water the other he isnt. They look the same to me tbh.
The level of compression in the video. If you can't tell, then I'm not going to bother explaining

Banned
Yoboman said:
The level of compression in the video. If you can't tell, then I'm not going to bother explaining
That's ridiculously bad. :lol PS3 definitely seems to have more compression though. I wonder if they've compressed everything twice?

There seems to be more noticeable aliasing on the PS3 version, but I wonder if it has Aniso to make up for it (as most games usually do) you can't really tell in the video.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
andrewfee said:

those are cutscene shots -- aren't dmc4's cutscenes prerecorded? if so, the difference must be a product of gt's compression

Banned
drohne said:
those are cutscene shots -- aren't dmc4's cutscenes prerecorded? if so, the difference must be a product of gt's compression
Looks realtime to me, unless they decided to add aliasing to the cutscenes for the PS3 version.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I assume they are real time. What would be the point of comparing vids? Unless GT didn't realize they are not realtime of course.

Xun

I somehow doubt either version will look much different; the PS3 will look good since it was made for the system, and the 360 version will look good since the engine runs well on the 360.

So I'm sure the differences will be practically nonexistent.

Anyway, it’s good to see a good solid review of the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TTP said:
I assume they are real time. What would be the point of comparing vids? Unless GT didn't realize they are not realtime of course.
Agreed. Both Dead Rising and Lost Planet used entirely real time cutscenes as well. I can't imagine they'd switch it up here.

Rolf NB

Are those pics SD captures? The bright stuff on the right wall looks like it's subject to interlacing artifacts, and the resolution would fit the bill as well.

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Are those pics SD captures? The bright stuff on the right wall looks like it's subject to interlacing artifacts, and the resolution would fit the bill as well.
The bright thing is nero's gun, it's a lack of anti-aliasing on the PS3 version causing the stair-stepped artefacts / "jaggies" (aliasing, not interlacing) and the video/screen is 1280x720 which is HD.

EDIT: I see you're talking about the screens yoboman posted. Hmm, not sure what's going on there.

EDIT2: It's spikes on the wall, and poor anti-aliasing at work:

NeonBlade said:
As I said before the game in general looks like filth!

Next Gen my ass.....
60fps. It's one of the only proper next-gen titles out there.

andrewfee said:
The bright thing is nero's gun, it's a lack of anti-aliasing on the PS3 version causing the stair-stepped artefacts / "jaggies" (aliasing, not interlacing) and the video/screen is 1280x720 which is HD.

EDIT: I see you're talking about the screens yoboman posted. Hmm, not sure what's going on there.

60fps. It's one of the only proper next-gen titles out there.

No.

le.phat

tirant said:
No, it was made on PC. And WTF about mandatory install on PS3? Isn't BluRay fast enough?

bluray is about size, not speed. and ps3 has loads of disk space so its non issue for ps3 gamers. initial install + zero loading >>> loading.

Top Bottom