• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Final Fantasy 5 (smartphones) screenshots

Aeana

I actually think everything except the character sprites looks fine. Although I am not a big fan of them reusing FF4 Complete enemy artwork, because it begins a homogenization of the series's art. FF5 has unique monster art, and it should stay unique.

Original sprite + hq2x + black outline = hi-res artwork!

Those look nothing like the original sprites.

Magnus

...people think this looks worse than the GBA game? Is the look of the sprites that revolting that you'd dip it below this?:

final-fantasy-v-advance-20060926103910946_640w.jpg

I'll take the crisp clear image of the new iOS version, coupled with (no-doubt) better sound, even if the art is facelifted in a bit of the wrong direction.

However, FFVI is a lot nearer and dearer to me; I wonder how I'll feel when I see that game facelifted this way. Might be right there with all of ya...

Syril

I like how the on-screen control is a full analog slider but you can only move in 4 directions.

Frankly, it's a tragedy that every smartphone game in existence hasn't ripped off the Pro Stick option in Mage Gauntlet. You move your finger in a direction, and the instant you move in a different direction, it changes to that direction, no need to go back through the center of any virtual joystick or dpad.

DaBuddaDa

Is VI confirmed to come after this or is that speculation due to it also being a 2D Final Fantasy game? I'm not so sure I'd immediately assume that. VI is quite a different beast from IV and V.

The backgrounds look good, the character portraits in dialogue look good, the dialogue font looks good, the monster graphics look good, but the actual character sprites look like shit. Oh well, maybe they'll fix it in the next remake in 2023.

Seda

The monster sprites are like the FFIVCC monster sprites, but the character sprites are pretty different looking.

VvrPWWA.png
QSB2JpR.png

Dunan

* Field sprites are cringeworthy.

* Dark blue translucent background for the text is quite nice, as is the background for the battle HP/MP data; it lets us see more of the environment

* Font isn't bad in Japanese, but the Helvetica for Latin characters looks far too generic

* Battle background looks great, as do the monsters

Shinta

Banned
The monster sprites are like the FFIVCC monster sprites, but the character sprites are pretty different looking.

VvrPWWA.png
QSB2JpR.png

They look exactly like the artwork they've always used for this game. I think that's just the style of the game honestly.

ff5psone.jpg

It's weird. If they just redo the sprites in a way that they meshed better (simply redrawing them at a higher resolution should do it), game would look fine. Game is still premium priced too. probably could have outsourced spritework to I'm sure many talented sprite artists would take the job.

Gannd

Banned
Looks terrible. I'm not desperate enough to play these games on my phone, I'll stick to the GBA version which actually isn't terrible.

Magnus

It's the sound quality alone I can't abide on the GBA. Greater resolution, brighter screen, better sound...it's enough to make me let the art style go someplace I don't like for the sprites. That said, yeah, I do think they look closer now to the official chibi artwork than ever. Something to be said for that?

Also, I'm sure I missed it, but where was it confirmed that this'll be $20? I smell...$10. Or is that wishful thinking. Maybe more like $15.

NekoFever

...people think this looks worse than the GBA game? Is the look of the sprites that revolting that you'd dip it below this?:

I'll take the crisp clear image of the new iOS version, coupled with (no-doubt) better sound, even if the art is facelifted in a bit of the wrong direction.

However, FFVI is a lot nearer and dearer to me; I wonder how I'll feel when I see that game facelifted this way. Might be right there with all of ya...
I'd take pin sharp pixel art over smear filters and ugly redrawn characters every time.

Seda

It's the sound quality alone I can't abide on the GBA. Greater resolution, brighter screen, better sound...it's enough to make me let the art style go someplace I don't like for the sprites. That said, yeah, I do think they look closer now to the official chibi artwork than ever. Something to be said for that?

Also, I'm sure I missed it, but where was it confirmed that this'll be $20? I smell...$10. Or is that wishful thinking. Maybe more like $15.

It's ¥1800 (it's in the Famitsu link) which is something like $20

That looks awesome to me, far and away better than that soulless RPG Maker-esque style they've got going on now.

I'll stick to my GB Micro to get my portable FF5 fix, even if the GBA sound doesn't do the incredible music the justice that it deserves.

Meier

1800 yen. It'll be $20.

Not a fan of the overall look of the game but the clarity of the Amano art and the battlefield looks great. The city environments look terrible though.

randomkid

Portraits are interesting, it's weird to see the Amano art in non-wisp form, Lenna almost looks like she's got a hint of Bravely Default-ish Yoshida in her, I wonder who did the redrawing if any?

Everything else is just as repellent as usual, freaking FF1 PSP, I'll never forgive you or your descendents!

Top Bottom