• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Final Fantasy 5 (smartphones) screenshots

The sprites are surprisingly low in detail. You'd think they would do something interesting with all the new pixels they have to work with. But it just looks like they used the "fill" tool from MS paint to use up all that extra space. All of SE's games with sprites in HD have this same issue.

Yeah, what the hell went wrong? FFI-II-IV's sprites were quite alright:

ff1-psp1.jpg

final-fantasy-4-psp-screen.jpg

Going from that to this?

TWRcizA.jpg

evkzLWD.jpg

It's not just the terrible lack of detail, shading, etc; they're just plain soulless. Saddest part is the monsters being in a completely different style, since they're lifted from FFI-II-IV HD. I guess this is Square not giving a shit anymore, which after FF ATB shouldn't be surprising, I guess.

Also: thanks to the newer character sprites, there's pretty much no ambiguity left
with regards to Faris being a woman.
That scene when everybody finds out is going to come off as even more ridiculous.

It's not just the terrible lack of detail, shading, etc; they're just plain soulless. Saddest part is the monsters being in a completely different style, since they're lifted from FFI-II-IV HD. I guess this is Square not giving a shit anymore, which after FF ATB shouldn't be surprising, I guess.

THANK YOU! You're absolutely right, about the lacking in soul. It looks cheap, like a fan-made project done in their spare time. Nothing wrong with that, except that Square Enix are not a bunch of fans working some other day job.

ebil

I really don't like what they've done with the sprites, but it looks ok, apart from that. FF5's strength has always been its fun gameplay anyway.

I'm certainly not looking forward to Helvetica for the western versions, though.

jaxword

Also: thanks to the newer character sprites, there's pretty much no ambiguity left
with regards to Faris being a woman.
That scene when everybody finds out is going to come off as even more ridiculous.

That's kind of a superficial complaint...I mean, one glance at the Amano art would give that away, and that would've been seen in the manual 20 years ago anyways.

jett

D-Member
Have people forgotten what FFV looks like? This looks like a pretty solid graphical makeover to me.

I wouldn't buy it, but it looks fine to me. :p

Aeana

Have people forgotten what FFV looks like? This looks like a pretty solid graphical makeover to me.
A lot of us play it every year for the Four Job Fiesta, and there are screenshots in this very thread, so no. The sprites are just ugly, period. The rest is okay.

When they first announced this, I was already preparing for the worst. This just exceeded those expectations.

Despite not being a fan of the 'hd sprites' in FFIV, they are so much better than these by a longshot.

That's kind of a superficial complaint...I mean, one glance at the Amano art would give that away, and that would've been seen in the manual 20 years ago anyways.

I agree it's a superficial complaint, but disagree that the portrait gives away much, particularly in comparison to other Amano artwork.

Ugh, my favorite FF...I bet it has crap sound and music quality too, just to complete the full package of Square shitting on their own franchises.

Mael

I'm starting to think that Square Enix actually hate me.
As in not me a gamer or something but me the person behind the pseudo Mael.
I mean how the hell can they keep greenlighting projects that are basically worst case scenarii!
I mean think about for a second.
What is the worst possible thing they could do to Final Fantasy?
They could make the latest episode absolutely shit on stick following a formula I absolutely hated.
They could dillute what they did that I actually liked and release it in the worst possible format ever.

I'm actually expecting Romancing Saga ps2 remade as a browser game with stick figures in lieu of characters and music remixed in dubsteps now.

I wouldn't buy it, but it looks fine to me. :p

Apparently you don't remember either what it looks like either.
It's the shittiest style they've ever used so far without any contest.
It's their ugliest game to date, as in uglier than their early NES games.

From this:

2l3mrOE.png

To this:

D8Gj4nT.png

I still can't believe Square Enix would downgrade this damn much.

jaxword

I agree it's a superficial complaint, but disagree that the portrait gives away much, particularly in comparison to other Amano artwork.

Ugh, my favorite FF...I bet it has crap sound and music quality too, just to complete the full package of Square shitting on their own franchises.

Could just not play it or buy it?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
And I thought FFIV:CC's sprites looked bad.

The only thing that's nice are the character portraits and maps.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They clearly haven't been proud of their products lately as they haven't even attempted to put one of these games on the 3DS, PSP, or Vita.

Could just not play it or buy it?

You're right about that, of course, but it really irks to see this complete lack of appreciation and care taken to one of their best games, and something that would ostensibly be the first time that many will be playing it.

Maybe I'm falling victim to crotchety old man-syndrome.

jett

D-Member
A lot of us play it every year for the Four Job Fiesta, and there are screenshots in this very thread, so no. The sprites are just ugly, period. The rest is okay.

TWRcizA.jpg

redmage-3.jpg

It simply looks considerably better to me. The sprites seem to have been remade to be closer to this art style

4753713948_a1617061e5_z.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn the PSP games look great.

Shamefully I'll buy this port if only to finally engage in the Four Job Fiesta. Been wanting to do so for years, but refuse to play the PS1 version and I haven't had a console capable of playing GBA games for years. Kinda refuse to bother with emulation too.

Just hope the challenge or game balance isn't dumbed down either. Only reason I never bought the PSP ports, I've read they got stupid easy.

antitrop

I don't want VI on my phone, anymore. :(

Don't do it Square, I take it back, it won't be a day 1 purchase, anymore. Don't massacre FFVI.

Aeana

It simply looks considerably better to me. The sprites seem to have been remade to be closer to this art style
The battle backgrounds were upgraded in the GBA version and those are closer to what you're seeing on iOS. But like I said, the complaint is with the sprites, not the backgrounds.

turnbuckle

I think everything outside of the character sprites looks great. I love the pixel work of the originals but those will live on forever; I like seeing them updated and in higher resolution.

But the character sprites look bad. I seem to remember a lot of people not liking the way FFIV looked on PSP, but I thought it looked wonderful - especially when playing it on the Vita.

Even with the awful character sprites I hope this gets a Vita/3DS release at some point. I love my smartphone, but it can't compare to playing a game on either of the handhelds. At least not a game built around a dpad and buttons in the first place.

Wonder how the soundtrack will be?

Also, I think saying the town looks like it was done in RPG maker is a bit exaggerated. Look at the towns from older FF games and they look pretty similar. A little darker, slightly grittier, but overall quite similar.

evkzLWD.jpg

Isn't terribly different from this (if you ignore the awful character sprites). I certainly prefer the SNES sprites, but a lot of that has to do with the colors being used.

xjJOt9O.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sad thing is the character sprites have been getting worse and worse since FF 1/2 PSP. VI is going to be brutalized...and I look forward to it.

jaxword

You're right about that, of course, but it really irks to see this complete lack of appreciation and care taken to one of their best games, and something that would ostensibly be the first time that many will be playing it.

Maybe I'm falling victim to crotchety old man-syndrome.

Nah, it's just nostalgia blinders that all FF discussions have. People seriously forget this is NOT new at all.

THIS was the first version that Western players got.

zpRreFs.png

zSI1Dim.png

Bow2qyJ.png

yOcxIvQ.png

NkAI5my.png

That release was absolutely terrible. Painful translation full of errors, and a clear lack of quality.

Did that mean Square was doomed and clearly didn't care? Because if so, they've been doomed and not caring for 15+ years.

Top Bottom