• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at Hugh Jackman as The Wolverine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I would gladly sell Teh Hamburglar's soul if Romulus is the villain.

932804-romulus_01.jpg

Beth Cyra

Out of all the Cameo's that one is easily near the top of least expected to me.

At least with that actor/actress in the role. Should be interesting. Starting to actually believe that this may turn out good.

Miker

Just wanted to pop in and say that (according to Wiki) the guy who's playing the Silver Samurai is the voice of Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs. Amusingly enough, he's Korean and he's supposed to be Japanese in Wolverine, and Chinese (well, HK-nese) in Sleeping Dogs.

Mario007

Just wanted to pop in and say that (according to Wiki) the guy who's playing the Silver Samurai is the voice of Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs. Amusingly enough, he's Korean and he's supposed to be Japanese in Wolverine, and Chinese (well, HK-nese) in Sleeping Dogs.

If so epic! He did an amazing job as Wei and if he'll be playing another badass motherfucker in Wolwerine, I might even watch that movie.

Miker

Asian is Asian in Hollywood.

At least he's Asian and not whitewashed. One step at a time and all that.

If so epic! He did an amazing job as Wei and if he'll be playing another badass motherfucker in Wolwerine, I might even watch that movie.

Just started Sleeping Dogs, and I really really like Wei's voice acting. Perfect amount of cockiness. Although once I looked him up and found out he was Korean, I couldn't help but notice that he doesn't really speak Canto while everybody else in the game does.

shira

I would gladly sell Teh Hamburglar's soul if Romulus is the villain.

932804-romulus_01.jpg

Oh please no.
No X-23, no Daken/Winter Solider, no wolf people, none of that please

EDIT who am I kidding this is the company that made Deadpool - Merc without a mouth

taylor-lautner-b.jpg

Romulus

Slayven, you cannot sell my soul. I have no soul.

It turns out James Mangold's currently shooting "The Wolverine" is not going to be a prequel after all.

Talking with Empire, Mangold confirmed that while the project is based on the 80's-set Frank Miller-penned Japanese storyline, the events in this film definitely take place AFTER those in "X-Men: The Last Stand."

"Where this film sits in the universe of the films is after them all. Jean Grey is gone, most of the X-Men are disbanded or gone, so there’s a tremendous sense of isolation for him," says Mangold. "That’s something that for me was very important, that I land in a very specific place in his timeline. I wanted to be able to tell the story without the burden of handing it off to a film that already exists and having to conform to it."

Part of the reason is that it allows Mangold to explore some big themes: "The ideas of immortality reign very heavily in this story and the burden of immortality weighs heavily on Logan. For me that’s such an interesting part of Logan’s character that is nearly impossible to explore if you have a kind of league or team movie."

Despite this, there's been photos of Wolverine in a WW2 Japanese POW camp, and the article includes shots of Logan with his pre-adamantium bone claws. Throw in rumours of Famke Janssen's cameo and it seems fairly certain the film will feature flashbacks. Mangold calls the overall film a 'Japanese noir with tentpole action'.

Platy

That's interesting .... talk about a point of the character that I would NEVER expect for it to be explored ...

...now to be explored in a GOOD way is a HUGE road to travel

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with this news. Although, I always wished they'd gone with the alternate ending for Logan in X3, with him running back to Canada and ending up in the same dive bar from the first movie. It seemed more the sort of thing he'd do after mercy-killing Jean, rather than staying on to help run the school in Xavier's stead. Given this latest news it would have been a better ending to lead into this new film, too.

Alternate ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOc_7H-_7oY

Actually, there are a LOT of alternate scenes from X3 I wish they'd stuck with. Some terrible decisions were made with this film.

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with this news. Although, I always wished they'd gone with the alternate ending for Logan in X3, with him running back to Canada and ending up in the same dive bar from the first movie. It seemed more the sort of thing he'd do after mercy-killing Jean, rather than staying on to help run the school in Xavier's stead. Given this latest news it would have been a better ending to lead into this film, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOc_7H-_7oY

Actually, there are a LOT of alternate scenes from X3 I wish they'd stuck with. Some terrible decisions were made with this film.

That whole film was a terrible decision.

J2 Cool

Last Stand and Origins really hurt Wolverine's value I feel like. If we look at comics as an equivalent, Wolverine's a much smaller character in the film market than he should be.

But then I guess you can argue X-men films were successes because of him, and outside of RDJ's star turn as Iron Man, the X-Men films did as well as any Marvel character aside from Spider-man (with Avengers being its own beast). I just feel like he's becoming very irrelevant. Maybe 10 years time is just too much to be expected to stay on people's minds. We've already seen Spider-man take a hit.

One thing I still want to see of Wolverine once though, even if it may be a big flop visually, is the yellow suit. I know Singer made the choice not to put him in a suit because of the cheese once you see it on screen, but since then we've seen (in suit) iconic Spider-man, Iron Man, even Captain America. I need to see it.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.slashfilm.com/the-wolver...web-chat-with-hugh-jackman-and-james-mangold/

Wolverine-Teaser-Poster.jpg

This film is set after the previous X-Men films. The reason for that was Mangold and Jackman wanted to create a movie that was in its own world and didn’t have to answer to other movies. That means that all the other X-Men are gone and Jackman said the character is at the lowest point we’ve ever seen him.

Since taking on the role in 2000, Jackman has wanted to film this particular story because he loved the idea of Wolverine as a tragic hero. Plus the fact that the character is the opposite of Japanese culture, not being one for tradition or rules, set up a great juxtaposition.

Mangold said The Outlaw Josey Wales was a big influence on this film because it was a neat and concise way of immediately setting a character up on a journey of loss, rage and revenge.

We all know Wolverine can’t be hurt but, in this film, we’ll learn what his “kryptonite” is.

The action is more grounded and real. Mangold said Wolverine won’t be taking down any planes in this movie, a jab at X-Men Origins Wolverine.

Going off that grounded action, we’ll get more of the trademark berzerker rage in the character.

On the past X-Men films, Jackman never felt he had enough time to get in proper physical shape but this time he did. He wanted to look almost frightening with muscles and veins, a physical representation of the animal rage. He even called Dwayne Johnson for tips on eating right to get that kind of body.

Mangold describes the film as a labyrinth, meaning there’s a huge array of people who you can’t peg as bad, good, or question marks. He confirmed there will be other mutants involved, but said where most superhero movies have a clear-cut villain, this one is set up more as a mystery.

Where the first few Wolverine movies were all about his origin and how he became this person, this movie surmises that we’re tired of that. It deals with Wolverine’s future and the fact that he’s (their words) immortal. What is it like to live forever? What’s the weight of that? Both Mangold and Jackman agreed the audience had enough of the character looking back and it was time to look forward at how he’s going to live.

Jackman said the title, The Wolverine, gives a big clue to the nature of the film. We’ll see every aspect of the character and that the movie is definitely the most action packed Wolverine adventure yet.

Watch the full chat here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hajDiaJre14

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
off topic a bit but......If you were to cut wolverine right down the middle and seperate the parts, would his healing factor create 2 wolverines....

nice, really looking forward to this

In the end i really digged Wolverine Origins, not a particulary great movie but as a guilty pleasure type thing it was fun as hell!

I think i just love Hugh Jackman as Wolverine though, perfect cast for the role, although Liev Schreiber was no slouch either in that movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom