• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at NEW RoboCop Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, its all black. very iphone. every recent robotic character ive seen has been bright metallic.

but you cant just take away the visor, the visor makes it. its like talking away hals red dot.

This is a perfect illustration of why the visor is gone, actually, and why I don't mind the new helmet. Not sure I like it yet, depends on what they do with it.

They're never going to remake 2001, but we'll use it to illustrate the point anyway. They would have to kill Hal's red dot if they did. It's TOO iconic, to such a degree that it would be distracting from the film. HAL itself is the essential part of the source material, the visual is not.

I think dropping the visor is a smart choice, because it gives them a chance to do new things without that link to the classic version of the character constantly distracting viewers and reminding them that, hey, this new Robocop might look like the old Robocop, but he doesn't actually act like the old Robocop at all. It also avoids the misstep of doing the visor "wrong," which in my mind would be far worse than simply removing it.

The rest of the suit, however, is atrocious. A lot of people here believe they can fix it with CGI, but if that is what they are doing count me out. The texture of the costume is hardly its only problem, or even its worst problem. His entire body would need to be CGI for the entire film for that to look good. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. Maybe he doesn't have the whole thing on? I just can't see why he has that silly ab/pec/shoulder batman armor look unless they're planning on portraying him that way in the film. =/

It doesn't look anything like that hideous crap.

Lol what the hell, that's the best looking piece of technology-thing ever designed for a video game.

----

And yes, I agree that the new Robocop looks like a suit rather than like a robot. Although, like a suit alone it looks better than what Pacific Rim got.

WillyFive

Bale_as_Batman.jpg

tumblr_m2abhuHl2h1rptip6o1_400.jpg

tumblr_ma9hfzZcqW1rvdm4wo1_500.jpg

tumblr_maeizyZnKm1razpcvo1_500.jpg

It does seem generic, but that's just because it's following the modern design trend of having everything be form-fitting and 'dark'.

The more colorful, bulkier it looks; the more of a toy it looks like; and thus seen as 'cheesy' and 'lame' by many people.

genjiZERO

Well, they're obviously not filming that. He was probably on a break or something and took it off.

That could be true. Or it could be true that the character designer designed him to have only one prosthetic hand. Or it could be true that the costume has limited dexterity and that they'll add in with computers later.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Looks really plastic, like a bad rip-off mix between some Mass Effect armor, Iron Man and The Dark Knight - the only thing I like is the helmet, but they really need for starters is to get the classic color scheme of silver and black, secondly fix his chest because it just looks flat and cut-off, and make the whole thing look more metal and robust in general.

I just hope it's some kind of early costume test, because it would be yet another take on an established entity that looks nothing like the original, like G.I. Joe.

Matter of fact, I didn't even know that they were even making a new Robocop.

.GqueB.

Banned
Looks like those suits in the Paris scene in GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra Surfer.

Looks too much like just a guy in a suit, unlike the original which actually looked like a machine.

I was gonna say it looked ok but then I read these. It's not really "bad" looking. It just looks very generic. I feel like anyone could throw that on while the original "Robocop" was ROBOCOP as hell.

The helmet is rather nice though. I'd imagine there's going to be a lot of post involved.

Guri

I do think it's true that Padilha is having trouble with creative freedom on Hollywood. He was able to do what he did on "Tropa de Elite" (Elite Squad) because he had freedom, but he already complained that it was limited on Hollywood.

GuessWho

it doesn't look too good from the pics....but GAF! PLEASE remember how much crow we ate when we first shown the tumbler(batmobile). Give it a chance!

Air

Banned
It looks ok but I don't think it'll be as memorable as the original suit. I'll have to see it in motion.

Yuripaw

Banned
Looks too much like just a guy in a suit, unlike the original which actually looked like a machine.

First thought that came to me exactly. It doesn't look like a robot...it's a dude in a suit. And yes Robocop is supposed to have once been a man, but in the first movie his original body was so badly mutilated that I assume they just used his head and brain. The rest of it was all robot.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
This is a perfect illustration of why the visor is gone, actually, and why I don't mind the new helmet. Not sure I like it yet, depends on what they do with it.

They're never going to remake 2001, but we'll use it to illustrate the point anyway. They would have to kill Hal's red dot if they did. It's TOO iconic, to such a degree that it would be distracting from the film. HAL itself is the essential part of the source material, the visual is not.

I think dropping the visor is a smart choice, because it gives them a chance to do new things without that link to the classic version of the character constantly distracting viewers and reminding them that, hey, this new Robocop might look like the old Robocop, but he doesn't actually act like the old Robocop at all. It also avoids the misstep of doing the visor "wrong," which in my mind would be far worse than simply removing it.

The rest of the suit, however, is atrocious. A lot of people here believe they can fix it with CGI, but if that is what they are doing count me out. The texture of the costume is hardly its only problem, or even its worst problem. His entire body would need to be CGI for the entire film for that to look good. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. Maybe he doesn't have the whole thing on? I just can't see why he has that silly ab/pec/shoulder batman armor look unless they're planning on portraying him that way in the film. =/

this design does have the visor though. its a thin red line. i think its pretty sleek and modern/minimalist

It does seem generic, but that's just because it's following the modern design trend of having everything be form-fitting and 'dark'.

The more colorful, bulkier it looks; the more of a toy it looks like; and thus seen as 'cheesy' and 'lame' by many people.

Well guess what, fuck these people.

it doesn't look too good from the pics....but GAF! PLEASE remember how much crow we ate when we first shown the tumbler(batmobile). Give it a chance!

We must have different memories because the tumbler is still an ugly piece of crap.

Also, new suit sucks.

Koyuga

I believe it can be saved. Here's my (extremely rough) adjustment of the colors.
HbALG.jpg

I dont want this, but maybe something like it..

Hmmmm....it does look more like a guy in an armoured suit, than the 'machine' look that the original pulled off so well.

I would have to see it under proper onscreen motion to really judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom