• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at NEW RoboCop Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I thought it looked awful. I wanted the robotic suit from the originals, but this isn't the early 90s anymore. Our designs in robotic should reflect that. But having said that the color and detail on the suit itself is pretty lame.

Mesoian

First thought that came to me exactly. It doesn't look like a robot...it's a dude in a suit. And yes Robocop is supposed to have once been a man, but in the first movie his original body was so badly mutilated that I assume they just used his head and brain. The rest of it was all robot.

That's basically correct. Even when they're putting him back together, they end up throwing out limbs and organs that get in the way because the body is so damaged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOkZIay0J00

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
What with this and ED-209 looking like he's fallen out of a Transformers film I really can't see this being salvaged.

Everything looks so generic.

WillyFive

I believe it can be saved. Here's my (extremely rough) adjustment of the colors.
HbALG.jpg

I dont want this, but maybe something like it..

Needs a belt.

mjc

I think it looks pretty decent, although it could definitely use some color here and there. It obviously won't look so plastic-like on screen though.

- J - D -

It all comes down to the actor's body gestures and movements. That's where the problem lies though. The original Robocop was brilliant because it was made in the 80's and was set in an unspecified time in the near future, so the utilitarian aesthetic that wrapped around the settings and technology worked plausibly. It was okay that Robocop looked like he stepped out of a Detroit car factory. It was okay that he moved like a tank and had very herky jerky robot gestures.

I'm not sure when this new Robocop takes place, but the armor designs we've seen of Robo and Ed-209 is evocative of a shiny, modern world, so presumably they wouldn't necessarily move like robots we know of from the past but instead more like the elegant, lithe robots of film today. There was also a recent interview with the actor, Joe Kinneman I think, in which he took a shit on Peter Weller's performance and basically said that his robocop won't be anything like Weller's.

So really, New Robocop will look and move like a dude in a suit of armor.

GodofWine

Looks too much like just a guy in a suit, unlike the original which actually looked like a machine.

Yea, this. Its looks like Cool-Armor-Suited-Cop, not ROBO-cop.

Why do movie remakes go out of their way to insult the senses of the entire original viewing audience...these dumb interpretations make me skip them, and then my kids skip them cause of it.

If you wanna ham it up using an 80's icon for a remake, THEN HAM IT THE F UP!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The helmet itself actually looks good. That one part is a good 21st century update to Robocop.

The rest, unfortunately, is generic and follows the basic "rubber plated suit" design most often used in modern film productions.

The OG suit was a work of art in terms of allowing a real man to be inside it but give the illusion that robotic parts were occupying the space a human body would fill out. In point of fact, it was so good, true story from a issue of Starlog: a woman once wrote the director, asking if the actor who played Robocop in the suit was a handicapped amputee because she literally thought the suit was a genuine prosthetic. That may sound silly, but really that's just how good the suit was.

Might have been interesting to see them go with a bit of a TERMINATOR rip-off.

Have him look normal, but as the movie progresses and the damage adds up, he looks more mechanical.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's going military, so Robocop has to look efficient. ED-209 has to look extra shiny, sharp and dangerous.

It's playing it ultra-safe and because of that I think any attempts at satire won't work or be completely lost. So then it comes down to his struggle with becoming a machine, but then because they've basically removed the machine aspect of his appearance I don't think that will work either. If they even bother.

It has trainwreck written all over it so far.

jett

D-Member
How in the hell does the new robocop helmet recall the OG one?

The redline visor, open mouth area and chin strap. I immediately recognized the callbacks when I saw the picture. The rest obviously looks nothing like the OG Robocop, and it seems this time I am completely alone in thinking that's just fine. I love Robocop, but that suit is just visually dated and RC being equally bulky and slow wouldn't work at all today. I saw someone saying the movie should've kept the 80's suit as-is...that's just laughable.

Jarnet87

If anyone lives in Toronto, please go sabotage this film. You will save the memories of all those who loved the original Robocop and be immortalized.

That looks so bland. There has to be more to it (CGI) than we're seeing. And maybe this is Robocop Level 1 and he'll look more bad ass when he transforms.

jett

D-Member
^ see, now that is fucking ugly

If anyone lives in Toronto, please go sabotage this film. You will save the memories of all those who loved the original Robocop and be immortalized.

wat

^i didn't know this movie was going to erase the original from our memories. Can't believe Hollywood figured out how to do mind wipes before the government.

It looks like a modern version of the ED.

Naw man it looks like complete crap cuz it doesn't look 130% like the original.

I believe it can be saved. Here's my (extremely rough) adjustment of the colors.
HbALG.jpg

I dont want this, but maybe something like it..
This.... already looks much better, what the hell.
Yup, that actually looks like the ED.
Naw man it looks like complete crap cuz it doesn't look 130% like the original.
Okay? This is such a bullshit response. There's a huge difference between the new ED and new RoboCop.

Mr_Zombie

It's hard to judge costumes from a photo from a set. I still remember how ridiculous Spider-Man's suit looked like in the early photos (that dirty crotch), yet it was ok in the movie.
However, the design isn't... robotic enough. It's just a man in a suite. Give him a cap and you have a Batman in a helmet :/

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
^i didn't know this movie was going to erase the original from our memories. Can't believe Hollywood figured out how to do mind wipes before the government.

No, it looks like a generic modern update of ED that no military company would ever design let alone put on a battlefield.

Omni Consumer Products versus Omni Corps. The whole thing starts to fall apart from that change because it's missing the whole point of the film which was satire and a consumer company getting it all wrong.

Attempting to focus on his struggle with being made machine is also going to be made incredibly difficult by him looking too human-like in the first place. It's playing it all too safe.

destrudo

I actually didn't even consider that they would design a new suit. I just had it in my mind that they would use the original or something close to it. I mean, it's so iconic and it's pretty much perfect.

Flo_Evans

New ED-209 is there for the Transformers crowd:

GVq38.jpg

Ugh wtf. If you are trying to use "realism" as an excuse a military bot would not have all those sharp angles on it. It would either be slab armored for a walking battle tank or smooth for stealth. That thing is just asking a terrorist to stick a pipe bomb in it.

jett

D-Member
This.... already looks much better, what the hell.

Yup, that actually looks like the ED.

Okay? This is such a bullshit response. There's a huge difference between the new ED and new RoboCop.

Is it? When the new ED was revealed the GAF thread was a repeat of this one. Hell since your post two people have already been ridiculously negative about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom