• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at NEW RoboCop Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I hope we don't get too much EmoCop either.

The black suit symbolic of the death of his humanity, that usually goes horribly wrong.

Sean

Banned
The suit design itself isn't horrible, it just needs to be like half silver imo.

The all black design just makes it seem generic, like the new GI Joe or whatever.

Zampano

Oh noes the off-set pics of guy in suit don't look right! Film am doomed!

Wait until you see it in the film. The Dredd shots looked awful, and the film turned out great. Hopefully Robocop will be the same.

DaveH

Check out "The Insider" suit Bruce Wayne wore when he returned from his Final Crisis "death".
2176373-2089248_011_insider_super.jpg
bruce+wayne+the+road+home+batman+and+robin.jpg

I think it looks fine. Are we all about to pretend the original Robocop suit looked badass? The old Robocop movies were themselves badass, but the suit certainly wasn't anything special.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The overreaction to cel phone set shot pics is goddamn hilarious. Have you people learned nothing?

We have a good idea what the CGI'd up one will look like, it doesn't change the problem with the design. Everything that has come out about this has looked or sounded bad, apart from the director who says he hasn't been able to even do 90% of what he wanted to anyway.

If it ends up as PG-13 or something that would be the final nail in the coffin, as we will have to be content with EmoCop whining about his loss of humanity rather than being shown graphically how he loses it.

I think it looks fine. Are we all about to pretend the original Robocop suit looked badass? The old Robocop movies were themselves badass, but the suit certainly wasn't anything special.

Really?

The original is iconic, this looks like something you've already seen. Mainly because we already have.

Batman? Or rather, Batman mixed with generic GI Joe movie armor? Seriously, that looks really, really bland. I understand doing something different than the original armor, but at least do something that isn't so boring. Man.

they should totaly copy this head, you don't need a visor.
3DCharacte10.jpg

Whoa, whats this? Cause it looks badass.

I believe it can be saved. Here's my (extremely rough) adjustment of the colors.
HbALG.jpg

I dont want this, but maybe something like it..

Hm, that looks a lot better. Maybe make the belt/codpiece metallic as well.. and as others have said, make his visor slit stand out more.

this design is the epitome of the late 80's early 90's
Robocop_STV81330.jpg

And hands down, one of the best movies. Ever. Made. And like someone said earlier, the original design looked like a robot! Not a guy in a suit.

This remake is completely redundant.

It looked like a robot. Hence the title. o_O

He looked like a computer out of a 90s sitcom. There was nothing badass about the design. Functional, yes. Badass, no.

Now I don't disagree that this suit doesn't have that same functionality, but I'm willing to wait until we've seen it under the right context.

near

Gold Member
He looked like a computer out of a 90s sitcom. There was nothing badass about the design. Functional, yes. Badass, no.

Now I don't disagree that this suit doesn't have that same functionality, but I'm willing to wait until we've seen it under the right context.

Okay so in your opinion the old design hasn't aged well, fair enough. But it was a design that worked well and looked very appealing. The new suit so far appears to be a very lazy design, a replica almost of a GI: Joe/Batman figure. The old design separated itself from other fictional character designs. That is the difference. If you think the old design wasn't that great its a fair statement perhaps your imagination is better than mine, but I think we should accept that this design could have been so much more with the concept at hand.

Okay so in your opinion the old design hasn't aged well, fair enough. But it was a design that worked well and looked very appealing. The new suit so far appears to be a very lazy design, a replica almost of a GI: Joe/Batman figure. The old design separated itself from other fictional character designs. That is the difference. If you think the old design wasn't that great its a fair statement perhaps your imagination is better than mine, but I think we should accept that this design could have been so much more with the concept at hand.

I'm saying the old design wasn't as great as everybody else is making it out to be and that we don't know what this suit really looks like yet. I'm just saying that if you're all going to be yelling about the suit's aesthetic design, at least wait till you actually know what you're all yelling about.

Platy

OMFG it is so BLACK and NOT METALIC and shit !

e7X9S.jpg

LOOK !!!
It has his HANDS SHOWING !!!!

And ...
Where is the visor ?????
It is the iconic part of the characteeeerrr !!!!

=P

Holy shit. Remember those Iron Man leaks? How he looked very cool, except for plasticky look?

Well, take out the very cool part.

Also this

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm saying the old design wasn't as great as everybody else is making it out to be and that we don't know what this suit really looks like yet. I'm just saying that if you're all going to be yelling about the suit's aesthetic design, at least wait till you actually know what you're all yelling about.

Have you even read the rest of the thread?

We know what it's going to look like, and the problems with the film go a lot deeper than that. Namely that a satire on militarisation not consumerism would have to be much darker and more brutal to work.

And I bet that's where the 90% of Padilha's ideas that got dumped have come from. Probably to hit a PG-13 rating, unlike the original and also needing it the most.

Millions of kids buying toys of him and dressing as Robocop for Halloween without even seeing the movie would disagree with you. It was badass and iconic for the time.

Robocop_robert-cop2.jpg

Only badassness leads you here.

edit: I just read that the visual effects artist responsible for designing and creating the suit was the guy who created the special effects of The Thing.
Badassery cemented.

agrajag

Banned
Guys, a close friend of mine is working on this film, and I got an exclusive look at Robocop's police vehicle. He said it's ok if I shared a picture with you guys.

batmobile_Tumbler.jpg

Have you even read the rest of the thread?

We know what it's going to look like, and the problems with the film go a lot deeper than that. Namely that a satire on militarisation not consumerism would have to be much darker and more brutal to work.

And I bet that's where the 90% of Padilha's ideas that has got dumped have come from. Probably to hit a PG-13 rating, unlike any in the series let alone the one that would need it most.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, no. I read half a page of suit bitching. I'm not pretending the movie is going to be decent or even passable. I'm just trying to say that these set pics always, always, fucking ALWAYS look horrible and result in the same knee-jerk reactions. The suit may very well look fucking awful beyond reproach, but I'm trying to say wait until we've actually seen it as it's meant to be seen before making that judgement.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I haven't read the rest of the thread, no. I read half a page of suit bitching. I'm not pretending the movie is going to be decent or even passable. I'm just trying to say that these set pics always, always, fucking ALWAYS look horrible and result in the same knee-jerk reactions. The suit may very well look fucking awful beyond reproach, but I'm trying to say wait until we've actually seen it as it's meant to be seen before making that judgement.

Well the thread moved past that quite quickly, and whilst that will always happen wading in to outright dismiss anything else people have been talking about without even checking isn't helpful.

The design is symbolic of playing it too safe and also going for a military angle which was always going to be very hard to pull off in the first place.

The part of the suit that makes me curious is his left forearm. Where the rest of the suit looks like plastic, his fore arm near the elbow has a different material that I'm not seeing anywhere else on the suit beyond the visor. It seems like if there were more of that element as a highlight I think the suit would look fine.

I love the visor though.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The part of the suit that makes me curious is his left forearm. Where the rest of the suit looks like plastic, his fore arm near the elbow has a different material that I'm not seeing anywhere else on the suit beyond the visor. It seems like if there were more of that element as a highlight I think the suit would look fine.

I love the visor though.

The hand concerns me more, that was played for humour in the original but I have a feeling it will be played for "Noooooooooo, don't take my hand as well!" in this one ;)

From that early poster leak while back, would expect that they are going to add glowing red like lights between the armor plates via cg

OMFG it is so BLACK and NOT METALIC and shit !

e7X9S.jpg

LOOK !!!
It has his HANDS SHOWING !!!!

And ...
Where is the visor ?????
It is the iconic part of the characteeeerrr !!!!

=P

Also this

He looks like a man that part robot. The remake make him look a reject from some modern space marine game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom