• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First-person Superhero Sim Megaton Rainfall Flies to PS4 & PSVR September 26

Loudninja

Still coming to the PC as well btw.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb9eQoxtqb4

Steam page
http://store.steampowered.com/app/430210/Megaton_Rainfall/

Hey everyone, this is Alfonso del Cerro, developer of Pentadimensional Games. I'm super excited to announce, with new trailer and all, that Megaton Rainfall will be released on September 26th!

What? You don't know what Megaton Rainfall is? Well:

Megaton: Explosive force equal to 4184 petajoules.
Rainfall: Precipitation in the form of raindrops.

...oh, you just want to know what is the game about?

Megaton Rainfall fills the market gap of ”games that let you control an indestructible superbeing who can fly at supersonic speeds across the Earth facing a global alien invasion and preventing the destruction of one city after another."

Yes, at the beginning of the game you can only roam the Earth, from the bottom of the ocean to the stratosphere, looking for threats.
Later, this freedom of movement will increase, letting you fly to the Moon or walk across the surface of the Sun — not quite a standard in the FPS genre.
This sense of freedom has been one of our major goals during production, as well as the sense of scale of the landscapes, which really shine in VR mode. Yes, you can optionally play the full experience in PlayStation VR. With it, flying around an alien mothership several kilometers in size conveys a remarkable sense of scale and danger.

As you can see, in Megaton Rainfall the biggest menace for the humans is often yourself. Each new superpower you gain has a dark side you must avoid. Your basic shot destroys entire buildings every time you miss your target. Your telekinesis can prevent enemy grenades from damaging the humans, but it can also send vehicles careening down the street. The gigaton blast can destroy an enemy mothership... or the entire city. And you don't want to do the aliens' job.
Developing a game this complex has been the toughest task I have ever undertaken, and I've always wanted the finest quality possible. That's why we have delayed the launch several times and the team (that was only me in my free time back in 2012) has grown quite a bit. Four artists created the enemy ships and city landmarks. Also, the music has been redone by the talented David Garcia (Rime, Hellblade) and it's now embarrassingly better than before (if in doubt, just compare the new and old trailers).

On top of that, PS4 Pro owners can look forward to enjoying the enormous landscapes in full 4K resolution of 3840 x 2160. And no matter the way you play (2D, VR, Pro, Pro+VR) the frame rate targets a silky smooth 60 FPS.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...ton-rainfall-flies-to-ps4-ps-vr-september-26/

Simo

Excellent! I've been waiting for this for awhile now. The Superman SIM we need and deserve. lol

orava

The first trailer was incredible when it appeared a few years ago. Glad to hear that the project is still alive.

Kind of wrote this off for dead a while ago. Looks pretty amazing and way better than before. I'll probably wait for a PC release though.

Ionic

This has been bouncing around for years now. Did this game eventually become PS exclusive or can I still expect a PC port?

orava

Awesome! Is it hitting pc as well?

Yes.

http://megatonrainfall.com/blog/

I’ve spent 2016 improving the quality of the game to a point that I never thought it would reach. I have been assisted by 4 artists (Hector Esteban Richart, Víctor Tardío, Álvaro Monzón y Rafael Romero), That’s not counting my friend David Saavedra, who made the cover. The audio is being completely revamped, including an all-new OST and hiring a voice actor (my original idea was an unvoiced game). VR has proven to deserve a massive amount of development time: 6 different control interfaces have been implemented and tested (you will find them all in the options screen), and lots of optimizations have been implemented to make the most of PS4/PS VR/PC hardware at rock solid 60 fps.

Shin-Ra

Needs more BAJAS.

Looks a bit like RESOGUN, Earth Defense Force and INCEPTION had a wild orgy.

MattAces

GIF montage

BackAromaticLeafbird-size_restricted.gif

PointlessValidFly-size_restricted.gif

PleasingSerpentineGoat-size_restricted.gif

RealisticPlayfulGreathornedowl-size_restricted.gif

InsecureHonorableBoa-size_restricted.gif

WhoppingArcticAnkole-size_restricted.gif

That looks incredible. Hopefully in the sequel, you play as a brooding street level hero who watches in horror as your events from the first game unfold before your eyes in an attempt to shoddily justify the endless amounts of destruction you caused.

Day One.

Tiktaalik

I love the idea of this game, but man that trailer looked like very early and unpolished gameplay for a game that is coming out in a few weeks.

Doesn't look like it'll be all that interactive in the traditional sense. Looks more like you'll just be playing out tightly scripted scenes.

Kyne

god damn this looks amazing.

Flying around in VR is pretty much what I thought of whenever I first saw VR.

edit: is this being sold digital only? I can't seem to find pre-order links anywhere.

No Man's Superhero.

I had never heard of this game before (probably because of it's name which reminds me of some kind of fanservice anime or something), but it looks absolutely incredible.

Reminds me of R.A.D.: Robot Alchemic Drive, just instead of a giant robot your driving you're a full on superhero.

DrBo42

Glad this is still alive. Looks way better than last time.

Edit: When this hits PC it'll be modded into the first and last good Superman game.

Top Bottom