• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaton Rainfall |OT| Superman Simulator 2017

Right up there with SUPERHOT VR as an essential VR title. This game has been the ultimate childhood wish fulfillment so far.
It's the Superman game we never thought we'd get. The speed and fluidity of flight, the incentive to not just powers mindlessly but actually take care not to damage the city, the sense of scale of the enemies and destruction and the sense of power in being able to stop them...it's wonderful

gmoran

It's the Superman game we never thought we'd get. The speed and fluidity of flight, the incentive to not just powers mindlessly but actually take care not to damage the city

Says you.

I saved Dubai last night ... and then I destroyed it ... slowly at first using psi powers and thermal ray to destroy small buildings and puny humans, then megaton blasts to destroy large buildings ... then finally a gigaton blast to the centre of the city followed by a cascade of megaton blasts to turn the centre of the city into molten pit ... the screaming of the humans was soothing

Elandyll

Banned
Just bought it, even though a little voice in the back of my head was saying to wait for PS+.
$20 isn't that big a deal, even at 3-5h length (I hope there's a free flight/ unlimited waves mode, or that it'll come eventually).

It just looks too much like the ultimate super hero fantasy, just had to get it.

Also using it as a carrot for the kids to be extra good so I'll allow them to play it this week end hehe.

Taker666

Honestly not impressed with what I've played so far in VR.

Turned off the blinders,turned on the VR head tilt control ...but tilt turn didn't work.

Not actual stereoscopic 3D in many places (often uses the fake 2D wrap around they used in Rez), hands of character aren't 3D or normal sized and don't replicate your own hands (ala Batman/Rush of blood) instead just large and flat images.

Flight control is very poor... far less intuitive and quite clumsy compared to Eagle Flight (may be improved if the head tilt control is actually fixed..might be some glitch in what options you seleect).Sense of scale isn't as good and neither is the flying around buildings. Devs should have taken a hard look at Eagle Flight for controls and visuals done right.

So to sum up-
Tilt control needs to be fixed.
Hands need to be fixed so they actually look stereoscopic and normal sized.
Visuals needs a boost in stereoscopic depth and an improvement in scale...and 2D wrap around needs to be dropped.

A real letdown in regards to the stereoscopic VR image and control. Seems more like it was designed for a flat tv screen than for immersive stereoscopic VR.

When you get faster flying and then have to follow the cube. Holy shit. My jaw dropped.

Also I found some pillar that spoke to me
way out in some far away planet. Said it was the first of many?
Whats this about?

Gleethor

When you get faster flying and then have to follow the cube. Holy shit. My jaw dropped.

Also I found some pillar that spoke to me
way out in some far away planet. Said it was the first of many?
Whats this about?
keep searching for other shining galaxies to find all of them

Also holy shit @ the “explorer” trophy. That was great.

Elandyll

Banned
I must be doing something wrong, but so far it's been an incredibly frustrating experience.

Randomly, it seems the game simply won't let me fly forward, and it doesn't matter if I press L3 down (found that out myself, not explained in game) while pushing forward, or take some altitude with R1, I'm just not moving forward, or so slowly it's not visible at all.

The crazy thing is that sometime it does work, randomly.

What am I missing here?

Edit: whelp, looks like that one DS4 has an issue withbthe game, seems to work fine with another controller. Whew

majik13

posted this in the PSVR thread, but didnt get any response,,

Ok, finally played Megaton Rainfall a couple nights ago. Incredible experience, and super janky as well. But still amazing.

Controls very well, and feels very interactive.

I just constantly think of the potential, if this tech and ideas keeps being iterated on, especially with a team of more than 1 person and a big budget, and with more powerful HW, could be insane. Like they could do a pretty nutty, DBZ like game with this tech, and allow 2 or more players sort of fight each other, and destroy cities in the process.

Anyways, Ive noticed some visual bugs in this game that Ive never seen in any other game, mainly to do with each eye not showing the same image like,
-1 eye has debris falling, but totally non existent in the other.
-1 eye has that sort of ghosting trail effect of a certain object(like you see when cars and people move) but doesnt have the actual object in that eye, just the trail, while the other eye has the solid object, but no ghost trail/blur.
-even discrepancies in the texture between the 2 eyes.

Also what is up with every time I want to use the megaton Blast or whatever it is, I fire it at a city block to witness all the destruction, and it warps me to the center of the blast, or close to it, and locks me there, where I cant move or rotate my view, and it goes into slow motion, totally ruins the effect. I feel the first time I used it, it didnt do this, but now it does every single time.

Top Bottom