• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Ryse Review

dejay

Banned
I think a great story could have saved it

Yeah, it needed something really compelling and unique to at least give it something to break up the gameplay (sounds bad just saying that). It might be a story fit for a mid-teen, but in theory the violence it too gory for them.

I reckon a lot of people will like it, despite it's flaws. Hell, I might like it too, put I'm not paying anywhere full price for it.

I've never actually paid for that kind of advancement-generating microtransaction. Yeah, I'll buy DLC, if not cosmetic stuff, but the first time I run into a game where I feel compelled to spend money just to play the game I already paid for, I'm done.

I think it's kind of disturbing that a lot of full priced games are starting to put that stuff in. Some stuff, like when the system they're using in Forza 5 was placed in (I think Horizon?) it was easily ignored because, frankly, you don't need it. Similarly, Ryse seems to be of that ilk; "yeah, you can pay to unlock stuff, but there's no point."

But, while it's a bit of a slippery slope argument, we're kind of starting to slide down that slope already. They wouldn't do it if it wasn't working. And that's what's frightening.

A lot of that started with one of the old Tiger Woods games if I remember correctly and you didn't need it then. It's been around in that state for a while, but you can sense they want to change things up all the time if they could get away with it.

Why are people saying that the PS4 isn't out in NZ yet, so that's why there aren't any PS4 reviews on the site? PS4s will have been sent to reviewers before they're released at retail, and PS4 games have already been reviewed on other NZ sites.

I only realised today that the Xbone that's being guarded by sharks, is just around the corner from where I live!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I had no idea the game had microtransactions that bad in it. I really hope this isn't a precedent being set by MS for future titles that they publish. It could also be Crytek's ambitions of an all F2P future for the studio seeping in as well.

Such a shame they couldn't pull this one out of the gutter. It's gorgeous and a halfway decent combat system would have made it a decent launch title. I can't believe the animation in combat barely improved. The visual fidelity does not work with the janky animation.

q268x.gif

Can someone add 'Reality' or 'Reviews' as text to the spikes trap?

Krilekk

Banned
I think you meant "force Crytek to consider any priority in game design."

They are selling an engine. Game design is not in their job description. Just like Epic. However I don't quite get why Gears of War is unanimously loved and Ryse is not. They both do very much the same thing.

Short campaign: Check
Great Visuals: Check
Repetitive enemy types and fights: Check
Stop and go arena gameplay: Check
Very linear: Check
Forgettable story: Check
QTEs without impact: Check (Reload in Gears)
Horde multiplayer: Check
´
It is Gears of Rome.

rdrr gnr

They are selling an engine. Game design is not in their job description. Just like Epic. However I don't quite get why Gears of War is unanimously loved and Ryse is not. They both do very much the same thing.

´
It is Gears of Rome.
Are you for real?
Games on Gold for Xbox One won't even be starting for almost a year.
And following MSFT's history with free games, it will probably be available sometime in 2020.

lherre

Accurate

´
It is Gears of Rome.

Is that you?

´
It is Gears of Rome.

You're seriously saying Gears of War is Ryse quality of a game?

AppleMIX

´
It is Gears of Rome.

Man, I've seen some mental gymnastics in my time but wow.

Gears Of War 1 was easily the one of the most mind blowing games of this generation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Doesn't it start sometime 2014 which is like a 2 months away at the least? I don't think I've read anything indicating it's not starting till basically 2015.

I just reread the announcement and it details "later in 2014". I thought it meant it was coming late 2014. My mistake.

TheKingWilliamV

Neo Member
But Im gameflying both Dead Rising 3 and Ryse Son of Rome. I already purchased NBA2K14, FIFA 14, BF4, COD Ghost and ACIV and just cant afford any more games. With that being said I will play RYSE because I've played worse, Bionic Commando for the 360 cough cough.

Im not expecting much so I wont be upset but I do feel bad for those that purchased this game and its already shipped.

KOHIPEET

Sessler's review was pretty good as always. He not only says what's wrong, but tries to explain it. Sadly this was kind of expected after all those previews. The game still fulfills its purpose of being a sectacular launch title though.

Zemm

´
It is Gears of Rome.

hahahaha

´
It is Gears of Rome.

While not a big fan of Gears, this is another attempt to try to equate a game that looks to be rather shit to another game widely recognized as a (future, at least) classic by trying to draw strained, reaching comparisons that break down at the slightest inspection.

Let's see.

Short campaign: Okay, fair enough.

Repetitive enemy types and fights: Nope. I mean, yep, Gears 1 can be seen as somewhat repetitive by comparison to some of the later games in the same style, but -- for one thing -- it introduced a cover-based gameplay system that was (to most players) new at the time and thus was enjoyable based on the novelty alone. Ryse's gameplay is practically Golden Axe-old. Not the same thing. Furthermore, even if Gears' level design was fairly repetitive (courtyard after courtyard), the gun mechanics and tactical options were consistently fun and engaging, at least when compared to everything I saw in that Sessler review.

Stop and go arena gameplay: Yes, they both have that. So?

Very linear: Yes, that describes most campaigns. Being linear is not necessarily a bad thing.

Forgettable story: Yes, true.

QTEs without impact: This is extremely strained. Active Reload was a tiny mini-game. These QTEs are clearly a big part of this game.

Horde multiplayer: Yes. So? Gears also had vs. multiplayer... this doesn't... so?

SRTtoZ

´
It is Gears of Rome.

You left out something pretty big. Multiplayer. And no, not horde MP, but the normal player vs player MP.

madmackem

´
It is Gears of Rome.

haha thats some jump, also gow was pretty ground breaking at its launch, it brought back third person games and improved on them in a number of ways. Ryse doesnt seem to improve on anything or bring anything new to the party bar nice looking gfx.

As weak as the story was in Gears, the world was incredible, Epic really fucked up wasting such an amazing world and backstory with a terrible story

haha thats some jump, also gow was pretty ground breaking at its launch, it brought back third person games and improved on them in a number of ways. Ryse doesnt seem to improve on anything or bring anything new to the party bar nice looking gfx.

Hell, even on the level of graphics alone, Gears was a class above everything else at the time, even on PC. Ryse looks great but it's not that.

Card Boy

Banned

´
It is Gears of Rome.

Might as well say picking up weapons and reviving people is a QTE. Active reload is optional.

´
It is Gears of Rome.

Stop. The combat in Gears is fun and it has great MP. Don't even try to lump it in with this crap. Not even GOWJ.

Prine

Banned
Hell, even on the level of graphics alone, Gears was a class above everything else at the time, even on PC. Ryse looks great but it's not that.

You can say many things about Ryse, but it's visuals is in a league of its own when it comes to 3rd person hack and slash, yes even on PC. It's one the best looking games yet. Like Gears at the time.

ignata

Sessler's review briefly compares this to Knack. With Knack, I bought it knowing pretty much what I was getting into, and I was right. Seems like the same will be happening when I get Ryse this week.

I seem to be one of the very few enjoying Knack. I'll take that as a good sign.

2 hours and 15 minutes. They chose to lift the embargo at 3AM PST/6AM EST. It's literally the weirdest time to lift an embargo. That should tell you all you need to know about how they think it'll review.

I guess it had to be that time as that's when it releases in NZ. Can't embargo something until after people have already bought it!

Caronte

´
It is Gears of Rome.

lol no

You can say many things about Ryse, but it's visuals is in a league of its own when it comes to 3rd person hack and slash, yes even on PC. It's one the best looking games yet. Like Gears at the time.

I don't find it makes sense to limit it to "3rd person hack and slash." That's an artificial restriction, as the genre doesn't have that many entrants. Gears was just the best looking game, period, and for about a year too. Certainly it was the best looking game on any console until Uncharted.

Ryse is not that. It's certainly well within Killzone's league for example, not to mention at least a couple of PC titles pumped up to high settings.

Eusis

Sessler's review briefly compares this to Knack. With Knack, I bought it knowing pretty much what I was getting into, and I was right. Seems like the same will be happening when I get Ryse this week.

It's why I'm curious to see comparisons, but I sorta suspect that Knack will be remembered as good-but-not-great, while Ryse is pretty-but-empty. Knack would be better, but it's sort of like some ridiculous slap fight while we have real showdowns on the horizon between games like inFamous and Titanfall (going by release date, not how similar they are... Destiny would seem more direct competition but that's on XB1 too, just with PS3/4 bonuses.)

EDIT: Though there is something to be said for the fact Knack didn't really get too hyped up and was pretty much billed more as a iconic mascot at most but otherwise not really built up to be more than it is, whereas Microsoft seems to be trying to make a big deal out of Ryse. Similarly I swear more people are actually excited for Ryse than Knack, but maybe that's just Senjutsu and gif lovers.

While not a big fan of Gears, this is another attempt to try to equate a game that looks to be rather shit to another game widely recognized as a (future, at least) classic by trying to draw strained, reaching comparisons that break down at the slightest inspection.

Let's see.

Short campaign: Okay, fair enough.

Repetitive enemy types and fights: Nope. I mean, yep, Gears 1 can be seen as somewhat repetitive by comparison to some of the later games in the same style, but -- for one thing -- it introduced a cover-based gameplay system that was (to most players) new at the time and thus was enjoyable based on the novelty alone. Ryse's gameplay is practically Golden Axe-old. Not the same thing. Furthermore, even if Gears' level design was fairly repetitive (courtyard after courtyard), the gun mechanics and tactical options were consistently fun and engaging, at least when compared to everything I saw in that Sessler review.

Stop and go arena gameplay: Yes, they both have that. So?

Very linear: Yes, that describes most campaigns. Being linear is not necessarily a bad thing.

Forgettable story: Yes, true.

QTEs without impact: This is extremely strained. Active Reload was a tiny mini-game. These QTEs are clearly a big part of this game.

Horde multiplayer: Yes. So? Gears also had vs. multiplayer... this doesn't... so?

Could not have said it better myself. These ridiculous comparisons to Arkham city, God of War and now Gears of War are just desperate attempts to equate two games that are in no way similar.

Eusis

Could not have said it better myself. These ridiculous comparisons to Arkham city, God of War and now Gears of War are just desperate attempts to equate two games that are in no way similar.
I dunno, it seems like it could be like Arkham City.

If you stripped out EVERYTHING but combat and dumped in a pile of QTEs.

I really enjoyed knack, but I think a big diffrence would be (based on sessler's review) is at least knack had different types of enemys. Also Knack's campaign is about a 10-13 hours while I think Ryse is 4-5?

I don't know, just comes down to if you have fun with a game. I had fun with knack, I could possibly have fun with Ryse too, but I don't think I'd buy it at 60$. I'm not getting a XBO at launch, I'll get one in probably spring 14, and if I saw Ryse for 20 or so, I might pick it up.

Top Bottom