• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Ryse Review

I agree, GoW was always pretty bad. Boring cover based gameplay, bad AI, bad story, crapt variety of enemies, weapons and scenarios... who knows what people saw in that game.

...but not really the place to talk about i.t

SRTtoZ

Sessler's review briefly compares this to Knack. With Knack, I bought it knowing pretty much what I was getting into, and I was right. Seems like the same will be happening when I get Ryse this week.

I seem to be one of the very few enjoying Knack. I'll take that as a good sign.

Actually you do not seem to be one of *few* enjoying Knack. Take a stroll over to the OT or metacritics user ratings where most actually seem to be enjoying it so I have no doubt a lot of people will enjoy Ryse as well.

Mondy

Banned
It's entirely pointless comparing this to God of War, Gears or Arkham. Of those three, Ryse is probably most comparable to God of War, but the difference is God of War is actually executed well.

MormaPope

Banned
What kept Gears of War 1 relevant to me and my friends through 2006-2008 was it's multiplayer, single player Gears is good for one playthrough and then everything gets stale quickly personally. Then Gears 2 came out and the matchmaking/network stability was so bad I skipped Gears 2 entirely. Gears 3 had okay single player and good multiplayer, got bored fast though.

Ryse is a 5 hour action game where enemy variety, enemy tendencies, weapon variety, and overall difficulty are borked. Crytek should've never attempted to flesh out a Kinect action game into a full fledged traditional controller action game.

What kept Gears of War 1 relevant to me and my friends through 2006-2008 was it's multiplayer, single player Gears is good for one playthrough and then everything gets stale quickly personally. Then Gears 2 came out and the matchmaking/network stability was so bad I skipped Gears 2 entirely. Gears 3 had okay single player and good multiplayer, got bored fast though.

Ryse is a 5 hour action game where enemy variety, enemy tendencies, weapon variety, and overall difficulty are borked. Crytek should've never attempted to flesh out a Kinect action game into a full fledged traditional controller action game.

You really think that wasn't MS telling them to do that? What of Ryse was Kinect title? People would be up in arms over the lack of any big MS exclusive for launch. Forza and dead rising aren't considered AAA sellers

Quoting myself but having said the above, Xbone pre-orders are so poor in NZ that it'll probably only screw over a few people.

Well there's a MS party at Shed10 with hundreds of pre-orderers I think, but yeah, it's not that popular. But it is a bit shitty that all the buyers that go to midnight launches are basically going in blind.

When's the embargo up?

It's out tomorrow!

Embargo is up at the exact same time as the console goes on sale.

SRTtoZ

It's a shame too because this game had so much potential in the right developers hands.

Honestly this game never had that much potential because it was supposed to be a god damn Kinect game. It was doomed from the moment Crytek said "Yea, pay us bags of $$$$$ and we will make a Kinect game for you".

K.Sabot

A couple hours. Lets be real, MS knew it was a disaster waiting to happen which is why its embargo is later than every other game.

Which is confusing because the worst thing you could do before a console launch is have a shitstorm bad reviews populating the internet waves.

Should have saved Forza for today, saved Dead Rising for yesterday and left Ryse to the dogs on Lococycle/Crimson Dragon day.

Thanks SRTtoZ & Zalman

Shame it's out so late.
Doesn't give those who pre-ordered online chance to cancel or add to there existing pre-order

ekim

Still thinking that the game will get diversified scores from 4s to 9s... Metascore will probably be around 65-75.

Mondy

Banned
Honestly this game never had that much potential because it was supposed to be a god damn Kinect game. It was doomed from the moment Crytek said "Yea, pay us bags of $$$$$ and we will make a Kinect game for you".

Yeah true but can you imagine how this would have turned out if Kinect was never a factor and it was developed by someone with experience in action/hack n slash such as Sony Santa Monica?

Prine

Banned
I don't find it makes sense to limit it to "3rd person hack and slash." That's an artificial restriction, as the genre doesn't have that many entrants. Gears was just the best looking game, period, and for about a year too. Certainly it was the best looking game on any console until Uncharted.

Ryse is not that. It's certainly well within Killzone's league for example, not to mention at least a couple of PC titles pumped up to high settings.

What? I was far more impressed with Gears than uncharted and it's over uses of sheen and putrid greens.

I remember when Gears was around and it was being compared to and downplayed just as Ryse is now, there were a few top tier visuals that it was put up against, but like Gears at the time It does look to be one of best, the seamless transition from cutscene to combat is a moment to behold.

SRTtoZ

Yeah true but can you imagine how this would have turned out if Kinect was never a factor and it was developed by someone with experience in action/hack n slash such as Sony Santa Monica?

Oh the setting and visuals have so much potential, no doubt. If SSM or Naughty Dog made a mature Rome type game i'd be ALL in.

Zemm

You can say many things about Ryse, but it's visuals is in a league of its own when it comes to 3rd person hack and slash, yes even on PC. It's one the best looking games yet. Like Gears at the time.

I highly doubt it will look better than DmC on PC.

MormaPope

Banned
You really think that wasn't MS telling them to do that? What of Ryse was Kinect title? People would be up in arms over the lack of any big MS exclusive for launch. Forza and dead rising aren't considered AAA sellers

One thing is for sure, they seem to be a lot better than Ryse. I also think it would be easier marketing a flashy car simulator and zombie murdering fantasies over classic Rome war fiction.

Hanmik

for those that can´t watch youtube..

1jSunqa.png

Eusis

I don't think Ryse will get any 9s
There'll probably be one or two. But pending a surprise those reviews will on Metacritic be the equivalent of the kid in that bookbag gif.
You're joking, right?
It'd be 1080p/60FPS if not higher in both areas on many modern PCs and monitors. That doesn't inherently bring a game higher, but with close enough assets it can arguably look better. Certainly I liked the way Metal Gear Rising looked more than a lot of other late gen games, yet the detail was generally lower as I recall. PC IS an important distinction too, you compare how it looks on consoles and I definitely think you would be insane.

Moldiver

If this hits 60% I may buy it, presentation wise it looks good and if I bump up the difficulty it may be challenging.......won't it?

Well there's a MS party at Shed10 with hundreds of pre-orderers I think, but yeah, it's not that popular. But it is a bit shitty that all the buyers that go to midnight launches are basically going in blind.

Agreed, it's still a super shitty thing to do. I was just looking on the bright side, that of all the countries the launch countries, NZ is probably the least worst they could do this to. I'm honestly amazed at how little enthusiasm there is for it.

Kssio_Aug

i heard you can't die so no

WTF, are you joking or you really heard that?
I havent seen no one dying at the demonstrations, but if thats true, what a HUGE FAIL.
Like just watch the infinity QTEs wasnt enough!!

Beside its graphics, that trully looks amazing, I cant see why this game should score more than a 6 or 7.

One thing is for sure, they seem to be a lot better than Ryse. I also think it would be easier marketing a flashy car simulator and zombie murdering fantasies over classic Rome war fiction.

Forza is a niche game, only GT has mass appeal in the car sim market. Dead Rising 3 is also a B tier franchise (sales wise), MS wanted to see if they could have their own God of War type franchise and strike gold like they did with Epic and Gears

Eusis

Get ready to cancel your pre-orders!
Honestly, with the early reception we were seeing I'd be surprised if anyone that still wanted to grab it would can it. Either they just wanted something nice looking, ore they're sure it'll be great anyway and plunge in regardless.

Top Bottom