• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tomb Raider Review out in the wild - Embargo up on Monday 02/25

No point in listening to review scores from any website or magazine. Their reviews are completely useless. Just use those sources for the early pics and vids they can bring you and wait for the impressions from your fellow gamers for a real perspective on a game.

G-Fex

Why do you say that? It's hitting every mark on the AAA game checklist. It was always going to review well, imo.

the perfect safe game!
No point in listening to review scores from any website or magazine. Their reviews are completely useless. Just use those sources for the early pics and vids they can bring you and wait for the impressions from your fellow gamers for a real perspective on a game.

exactly they're all garbage.

Even GT whom I used to watch all reviews from and only watched reviews from is complete nonsense

sublimit

Banned
Hmm lets see Game Informer,IGN and GameTrailers all supported the game from day 1 with GI and IGN actually being part of the marketing campaign.

Gee i wonder what scores they will give...

Jawmuncher

Monday embargo is incredibly bold for what's expected of this game. Wow.

Not really everything from what I have read and seen indicates to a polished and competent product.

The only flak it's been getting is for not being like earlier TR games. But most of that flak I've noticed is sitting mainly on the forums. Sort of like DmC but much less in scale and backlash.

Lime

Gaffers are so cynical.

What happened to us?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or being sincere about thinking that game reviews, especially the ones of AAA games, are properly indicative of the actual quality of the game in question.

Squire

Banned
Why do you say that? It's hitting every mark on the AAA game checklist. It was always going to review well, imo.

Not if you actually read impressions and what the press have said about it.

It seems the game has a big issue with cognitive dissonance in that the premise - what the game tells you - is that you're Lara and she's very inexperienced, but five minutes later you're hunting, and steal thing, and killing.

Plus they've only shown the first hour really which is obviously very linear. No, I don't think this game has been promised good reviews for quite some time. Once they started really showing it last year people started noticing some issues.

strafer

ylNK2Ym.png

Protect me.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Let's hope this isn't another Assassin's Creed, all hype and great reviews.

Harlequin

This is a perfect example of why game reviewers are so incredibly mind-numbing to read. It's basically fan-boy/-girl drivel filled with an extreme use of hyperbolic language through an incredible use of superlatives. There's no analysis, no critical thinking, no thorough evaluation of the game, and so on - it's like reading a teenager's high school essay of that one time where he/she ate a good cake.

Fuck
most
game reviewers and their lack of thinking.

This is just an excerpt from the review. The full thing does have several criticisms (like the characters being too stereotypical and the dialogue being flat at times).

MormaPope

Banned
Reboot. ✔

RPG elements such as collecting and linear semi planned skill unlocks. ✔

"A character that actually feels something" ✔

Characters feelings or personality don't match what you do gameplay wise. ✔

Bow and arrow usage even though you have a fully automatic assault rifle. ✔

Forced multiplayer built around mechanics that feel clunky. ✔

An actual Tomb Raider game. X

AppleMIX

Reboot. ✔

Tomb Raider games we're garbage anyways. I actually went back and played a few of them, pretty terrible.
Also, how exactly is it not tomb raider game? Because it doesn't meet your nebulous definition of what a tomb raider game should be?

madmackem

Reboot. ✔

From what i read there are puzzels and raiding of places.

G-Fex

Tomb Raider games we're garbage anyways. I actually went back and played a few of them, pretty terrible.
Also, how exactly is it not tomb raider game? Because it doesn't meet your nebulous definition of what a tomb raider game should be?

Okay ...obviously you don't like tomb raider games. They actually do hold up. I just played the first one a while back.

MormaPope

Banned

Nah, Tomb Raider essentially should be about platforming and the risks involved with it. Also story or narrative should be subtle and nuanced instead of being shotgun blasted into the player's face, the Tomb Raider reboot is the polar opposite of those things.

eshwaaz

I'm sure I'll enjoy it but then again I liked DmC as well so apparently I'm the anti-christ around here, meh. I will say Tomb Raider did need a complete reboot and a change of pace so I really see nothing to complain about here.
Yep, I'm with you. Really liked DmC, and trying to go into the new Tomb Raider with an open mind as well.

“Sitting back exhausted we were left with just one question dribbling forth from our gaping jaws. How on earth are they going to top this in the sequel? Because of one thing there can be no doubt. Lara is back.”

This is so bad it actually has the opposite effect on me. Good lord it makes me love Edge and I don't want to

Nah, Tomb Raider essentially should be about platforming and the risks involved with it. Also story or narrative should be subtle and nuanced instead of being shotgun blasted into the player's face, the Tomb Raider reboot is the polar opposite of those things.

We must have played different Tomb Raider games if you experienced some kind of nuanced story in them.

Top Bottom