• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Benefits for 1080p TV Owners (general and game-specific)

Nameless

One game that isn't getting enough love is Bound. I bought it at launch as part of the PLAY promotion and while I thought the art direction was neat, I wasn't blown away or anything, but holy crap the Pro version offers one of the most drastic upgrades yet IMO. Looks stunning even in 1080p.

One game that isn't getting enough love is Bound. I bought it at launch as part of the PLAY promotion and while I thought the art direction was neat, I wasn't blown away or anything, but holy crap the Pro version offers one of the most drastic upgrades yet IMO. Looks stunning even in 1080p.

Didn't they implement a different lighting system for the Pro?

How's the game itself? Looks interesting but don't know anything about it(didn't even realise it was out)

Humdinger

Oh, really? I'll have to take a look. I loved the game's visuals, even on the original PS4.

edit: You're right, I played some last night. It looks significantly cleaner and sharper.

Nameless

Didn't they implement a different lighting system for the Pro?

How's the game itself? Looks interesting but don't know anything about it(didn't even realise it was out)

As a platformer it's about as basic as it gets, but I think the main goal lies more in its artistic expression, with the 'game' serving as the delivery system. There's also apparently a meta puzzle solving component that was supposed to be piecced together by the community, but I haven't followed any of that progress since launch.

Everyone with a 1080p Display should give 4k downsampling a try. The IQ is so much better with less shimmering and aliasing. It's a big difference in some areas like Geothermal Valley. Enriched GFX has some nice shadows and minor improvements, but it's not that noticeable. It also plays worse thanks to framepacing issues.
How do I give it a try? I thought it was downsampling automatically? I'm playing Shadow of Mordor right now with the console on 1080p, do I have to do anything else?

RedAssedApe

Banned

i've also heard good things about it in VR

How is the game running for you? DF mentioned the framerate really sucked in Dubai, but I don't think they mentioned the Prague hub world.

The framerate could definitely be better, its not a smooth 30fps. Although it wasn't before the patch either. Its not so much framedrops as it feels generally choppy. But not that much different than the base game with the added benefit of a big IQ improvement.

Grimsen

Apparently, Helldivers patched in Pro support on October 26th (v. 5.00):

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-00-today-adds-ps4-pro-support-new-equipment/

No details on what that actually means.

Edit: From their AMA "For the PS4 Pro, its 4k and 60Fps."

Thanks for the info.

I was checking the patch notes on my PS4 yesterday, and saw no mention of it. I also played a few levels, and didn't really notice any improvements in 1080p. I hadn't played in awhile, though.

Games like Ratchet & Clank, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, and Tomb Raider have received great upgrades. However, what I'm really stoked for is next year's games which will hopefully take better advantage of the hardware with more time to work on it. Horizon: Zero Dawn, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Red Dead Redemption 2 should be amazing.

I haven't seen a jaggy since I bought the Pro. I sound like a broken record but this thing is phenomenal. Honestly who would have guessed console gaming would nail IQ this gen. It's seriously impressive and there doesn't seem to be drawbacks to the AA method being used.

The PS3 days of QXAA are doneski.

I have a high end Sony 1080p 60" TV from 2014, and the games I've tested that are downsampling are so crystal clear and eye-popping, it is really hard for me to go buy a new 4K TV. I mean, I always want the best, and I *could* go pick up the Samsung that everyone seems to be getting, but I mean, holy smokes, I am so happy right now as it is. Like how MUCH clearer could a game like Tomb Raider possibly look on a 4K TV? As you can tell I am at the same time trying to talk myself OUT of buying a new TV, but also trying to convince myself to get one.

Is the PS4 OS/menu downsampled? Might just be my imagination but it looks sharper on my 1080p plasma.

Also, any plans to patch Arkham Knight for Pro?

Please don't kill me if this is the wrong thread for this question. I have a og PS4 as well as a gaming PC and I'm trying to weigh my options.

Is the increase in quality when playing a PS4 Pro patched game on a 1080p TV the same as downsampling 4k resolution on my gaming PC (1080p monitor)? Or is the PS4 Pro doing additional stuff?

I haven't seen a jaggy since I bought the Pro. I sound like a broken record but this thing is phenomenal. Honestly who would have guessed console gaming would nail IQ this gen. It's seriously impressive and there doesn't seem to be drawbacks to the AA method being used.

The PS3 days of QXAA are doneski.

Well yeah - computation cost of rending much higher resolution is the only disadvantage.

I only hope that developers will tone down with resolution settings it's better to use slightly lower res at which Pro would render more frames giving us both IQ and minimal performance upgrade (which is usually all that would be needed to combat sub 30 fps drops).

Zok310

Banned
Ok, convinced me. Trading in my PS4 tomorrow for a pro. I will get a 4K tv when the next gen of consoles are released.
Thanks op!

SHarris78

Lots of people saying jaggies are eliminated in Ratchet & Clank on the Pro, i see them quite often. Thing is, it was such a fantastic looking game on the OG PS4 I can't tell how much of an upgrade there is!

Downsampling the UI would make it look softer, not sharper.

So, what PS4 exclusives have pro features? R&C, Uncharted, TLoU. Anything else?

Macaco84

Although df has concluded games without a pro patch should perform exactly the same as the Base ps4 I have heard anecdotally from one or two others that some games do show performance improvements.

Two examples: f1 2016 and mirrors edge I have heard feature framerate improvements. Only from a couple of random people on a forum though.

Can anyone verify this? Perhaps this is a placebo or a flat out lie. Would be interesting if this was true though.

Hostile_18

Banned
I have a high end Sony 1080p 60" TV from 2014, and the games I've tested that are downsampling are so crystal clear and eye-popping, it is really hard for me to go buy a new 4K TV. I mean, I always want the best, and I *could* go pick up the Samsung that everyone seems to be getting, but I mean, holy smokes, I am so happy right now as it is. Like how MUCH clearer could a game like Tomb Raider possibly look on a 4K TV? As you can tell I am at the same time trying to talk myself OUT of buying a new TV, but also trying to convince myself to get one.

I was in exactly the same boat, the picture was amazing. What swung me was the 4k mode on Tomb Raider been the best mode on standard def. I was happy to keep the 1080p tv while I thought I would lose the increased visuals effects of the 1080p option that I thought I'd be using if I ever upgraded.

New TV is coming Tuesday :D

I was in exactly the same boat, the picture was amazing. What swung me was the 4k mode on Tomb Raider been the best mode on standard def. I was happy to keep the 1080p tv while I thought I would lose the increased visuals effects of the 1080p option that I thought I'd be using if I ever upgraded.

New TV is coming Tuesday :D

Sorry, not quite understanding what you said about 4K mode on Tomb Raider?

Hostile_18

Banned
Sorry, not quite understanding what you said about 4K mode on Tomb Raider?

Sorry it was confusing when I read it back lol. Basically I thought on my 1080p telly the "increased graphics" option would be the best to use, so in some ways getting a 4k TV would be less of an upgrade as I'd no doubt have it in 4k mode and so would lose the extra graphical features found and used in my old 1080p set.

But seeing the 4k super sampling mode is for me the far better option even in 1080p makes the upgrade to a 4k tv seem more worth while as I'm not sacrificing the "improved graphics" to reach that 4k resolution, as I'm not using that mode even now.

Hope that makes sense lol.

2Shea

Thank you so much for this thread. Just recently got a Pro, but have not been able to make the jump to a 4k tv as of yet. It's great to see how many enhancements there truly are for people still running 1080p. I think it's totally worth it.

belvedere

Junior Butler

This is the case for me as well only with a projector. The clarity of BF1 and a few other Pro patched titles look like I've hooked up my gaming rig. Totally happy with the image quality and combined with the theater experience I don't see much need for a smaller 4k set just yet.

Sorry it was confusing when I read it back lol. Basically I thought on my 1080p telly the "increased graphics" option would be the best to use, so in some ways getting a 4k TV would be less of an upgrade as I'd no doubt have it in 4k mode and so would lose the extra graphical features found and used in my old 1080p set.

But seeing the 4k super sampling mode is for me the far better option even in 1080p makes the upgrade to a 4k tv seem more worth while as I'm not sacrificing the "improved graphics" to reach that 4k resolution, as I'm not using that mode even now.

Hope that makes sense lol.

Haha yeah, I see what you're saying.

Top Bottom