• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Benefits for 1080p TV Owners (general and game-specific)

No Love

Banned
I thought it played really bad, it felt incredibly unresponsive and sluggish no matter what sensitivity settings I chose it felt wrong, and the FOV is just far too low for me.

It really is shit on the Pro. Dishonored 2 is so bad on the Pro that I thought it was just a regular PS4 game with no pro features

joeblow

The monkeys will still be in business. For instance, a colorful co-op platformer called Mekazoo is coming the PS4 on Tuesday, but the developer says in the comment section that they are working on PS4 Pro support to be added later.

The Pro eliminates all the jaggies on my Pro enhanced games. Makes everything look clear and crisp even on my 1080p TV. R&C, Infamous, Uncharted 4, Battlefield 1, etc. all look spectacular thanks to the Pro.

pottuvoi

Banned
So any game that releases after Nov 10th will be Pro enhanced correct? No more of this patching monkey business?
Yes.

After certain date the games must use new toolchain which will make pro mode automatically.
So it's not possible to release game after that without pro support.

Made a Tomb Raider mode comparison

comparison1f1px3.gif

comparison2v4pkx.gif

Very cool, thanks for making that. I'm still torn between Enriched and 4K. Which one seems the best to you while playing?

4k definitely looks more clearer but i am playing with Enriched graphics because the game feels much more cinematic with an improved dof, motion blur, better textures and even better shaders in some parts i think. Something in this mode makes the visuals seem more grounded. My guess is the reworked dof.

riseofthetombraider_1ivsu0.png

riseofthetombraider_1l2ss5.png

Fisty

Anybody else getting thirsty for Killing Floor 2? The dismemberment looks nuts, I hope they really bump up the effects for Pro

4k definitely looks more clearer but i am playing with Enriched graphics because the game feels much more cinematic with an improved dof, motion blur, better textures and even better shaders in some parts i think.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll likely go Enriched as well. Would you say the image quality in Enriched is improved at all over OG PS4 due to some of the graphical enhancements? Ideally I would get an image quality that's a bit better than OG PS4 along with the graphical effects that take it to the next level.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll likely go Enriched as well. Would you say the image quality in Enriched is improved at all over OG PS4 due to some of the graphical enhancements? Ideally I would get an image quality that's a bit better than OG PS4 along with the graphical effects that take it to the next level.

Yeah i would say the iq is a little better than ps4 in enriched mode.

bosseye

Just adding my confirmation that Skyrim runs noticeably worse on pro. It was very smooth on base PS4, running on my new pro though it feels a lot more stuttery, a lot more janky. It's not too bad inside, definitely worse externally. It's bearable for me, but if I've noticed it then it must be awful for some of you.

Here's hoping for a fix in a timely fashion but I doubt it.

No Love

Banned
It's sad, but yeah...they don't inspire confidence. So the Pro version actually runs worse than OG PS4? Damn.

No, I never stated that. What I'm stating is that if you were to tell me that it's the OG PS4 version, I'd believe it because it looks so... Off. It doesn't look like a Pro title.

It really is shit on the Pro. Dishonored 2 is so bad on the Pro that I thought it was just a regular PS4 game with no pro features

Exactly how I felt, it made me question my pro purchase. However I'm hopeful final fantasy will make me happy with the purchase!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Fuck. Was set to buy it this week as soon as I wrap up the final Dishonored 1 DLC. Will hold off for a patch I suppose now.

Brandon F

Very cool, thanks for making that. I'm still torn between Enriched and 4K. Which one seems the best to you while playing?

I started playing last night and find myself using 4K more often. There are occasions that I do feel I notice Enriched adds a bit more to some scenes with whatever voodoo it is implementing, but my brain keeps telling me to leave it on 4K for the sake of taking advantage of my TV's native resolution. But its an internal battle I can't seem to make my mind up on yet.

The higher framerate option I don't care for. It does run a bit smoother, but I do notice the overall clarity drop moreso than the other two options, and the framerate doesn't at all feel locked and feels like it's dynamic adjustments swing wildly, even if it is universally higher than the other two modes. Felt I was able to more easily condition to the lower framerate modes and take advantage of a cleaner/crisper image.

That said, unless really laser-focusing on the details, its difficult to really tell a dramatic difference shifting between the three modes. It's almost taking away the enjoyment of the game itself as I am being so picky about these marginal image selections rather than just enjoying the experience. Need to just settle and forget.

dealer-

Wait whats the issue with dishonored 2 on the pro? Its all ive played on and it seems totally fine?

There is frame pacing issues I think, it doesn't feel smooth. Don't know about any other issues. It looks fine maybe not that big a leap over OG PS4.

Brandon F

Just adding my confirmation that Skyrim runs noticeably worse on pro. It was very smooth on base PS4, running on my new pro though it feels a lot more stuttery, a lot more janky. It's not too bad inside, definitely worse externally. It's bearable for me, but if I've noticed it then it must be awful for some of you.

Here's hoping for a fix in a timely fashion but I doubt it.

This for me. Loading it up and I was shocked at suddenly how janky it felt. Just panning the camera around felt like the image was trying hard to keep up with the new insane resolution. If I were on PC, I would lower the resolution down to get things more stabilized, but I can't. Definitely now miss how it ran on OG PS4, which didn't look any real worse at 1080 vs. 4K and definitely ran super smooth.

There is frame pacing issues I think, it doesn't feel smooth. Don't know about any other issues. It looks fine maybe not that big a leap over OG PS4.

Ah got it. That is really the only thing ive somewhat noticed, but I play so slow that it really hasnt shown itself.

Thanks.

rawd

Snapped an awesome pic of First Light cut scene last night and posted to the NeoGAF PS4 community. I'll try and post here but its ser hert.

Made a Tomb Raider mode comparison

comparison1f1px3.gif

comparison2v4pkx.gif

Eh.. not sure here. Did you mix them up?
4K settings on 1080P look really clean compared to both high fps mode and enriched mode. Enriched mode looks the worst imo. Really jaggy and shimmery.
It looks cleaner on my screen. Maybe bacause it's in motion but all your screens look noisy and jaggy to me.

Shadows look a lot better on enriched though.

Humdinger

Re. Skyrim, I have seen some framerate drops, but they seem fairly rare to me. I'm on 1080p (does the 4K version get more frame drops, I don't know?). The improved visuals are significant, and I'll take those in exchange for occasional framerate dips, which are noticeable but don't bother me a whole lot.

Sharpfish

/side thought...

Christ, Dishonored 1 was such a piece of crap. I'm surprised anyone bothered with a sequel. Yuck.

[ continue thread ]

dan2026

Seems like an alarming number of games are actually running worse on the Pro.

What are developers even doing with that horsepower?

What do y'all think are the best looking 1080p/pro games? I'm guessing R&C, Infamous, Uncharted 4, ROTTR, BF1...?

Those and I think FFXV is/will be up there as well. The Pro version improves quite a few of the issues the game has (better IQ and AA, better textures, refined lighting and shadowing, better draw distance). Added to this, the demo is, in my opinion, in the least impressive looking section of the game.

ChrisDM

I apologize if this has been asked previously, but is there any reliable way right now to see if a game has been patched for Pro or is looking online the only way to find out what they've done with the power, etc.?

Eh.. not sure here. Did you mix them up?
4K settings on 1080P look really clean compared to both high fps mode and enriched mode. Enriched mode looks the worst imo. Really jaggy and shimmery.
It looks cleaner on my screen. Maybe bacause it's in motion but all your screens look noisy and jaggy to me.

Shadows look a lot better on enriched though.

Everyone with a 1080p Display should give 4k downsampling a try. The IQ is so much better with less shimmering and aliasing. It's a big difference in some areas like Geothermal Valley. Enriched GFX has some nice shadows and minor improvements, but it's not that noticeable. It also plays worse thanks to framepacing issues.

Oneself

Seems like an alarming number of games are actually running worse on the Pro.

What are developers even doing with that horsepower?
TLOU stutters a bit but should be fixed soon considering it's ND.
Deux Ex probably won't be fixed since it's from the Thief team and they seem to be OK with shitty performance.
Mantis Burn will be fixed in no time (small stutters).

Other than that, everything runs better.
Dishonored 2, I'm not sure... it runs fine from what I can see, at 30fps like the base versions, less aliasing and a cleaner image.
Hitman too, except the Pro has better textures and seems a bit smoother.

Aceofspades

Banned
I apologize if this has been asked previously, but is there any reliable way right now to see if a game has been patched for Pro or is looking online the only way to find out what they've done with the power, etc.?
Click options on the game icon---->update history----you will see details of all patches for the game.

Top Bottom