• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tomb Raider Review out in the wild - Embargo up on Monday 02/25

madmackem

The embargo is up a week before release, i think it shows a level of confidence in the game by square. How many games do that these days? most are day of release.

vladdamad

Honestly, I think Tomb Raider: Anniversary is a masterpiece. Atmosphere and gameplay are top-notch. I would rather have a sequel to that, with original levels. It would never sell, but that's the dream

~Kinggi~

Banned
Gaffers are so cynical.

What happened to us?

They just skew reality to meet their needs. With the new Tomb Raider, old fans have already decided this is shit, so good reviews = moneyhats and bad reviews = vindication. Same every week round these parts!

It makes me wish English wasn't my first language.

Haha yup.
It is so awful. If that had been a scathing paragraph on the numerous problems they had with the game I would probably walk away with a more positive view of the potential of this installment than reading that drivel.

madmackem

Not if you actually read impressions and what the press have said about it.

It seems the game has a big issue with cognitive dissonance in that the premise - what the game tells you - is that you're Lara and she's very inexperienced, but five minutes later you're hunting, and steal thing, and killing.

Plus they've only shown the first hour really which is obviously very linear. No, I don't think this game has been promised good reviews for quite some time. Once they started really showing it last year people started noticing some issues.

Its a game dude, your suppose to be a rich spoilt brat in far cry 3, yet your a killing machine within 10 minutes.

AppleMIX

Nah, Tomb Raider essentially should be about platforming and the risks involved with it. Also story or narrative should be subtle and nuanced instead of being shotgun blasted into the player's face, the Tomb Raider reboot is the polar opposite of those things.

Those risks came from clunky controls not because it was a grand master piece of gaming.

Subtle and Nuanced? You do realize we're talking about Tomb Raider here?

They just skew reality to meet their needs. With the new Tomb Raider, old fans have already decided this is shit, so good reviews = moneyhats and bad reviews = vindication. Same every week round these parts!

Still very much true, sadly.

MormaPope

Banned
Those risks came from clunky controls not because it was a grand master piece of gaming.

Subtle and Nuanced? You do realize we're talking about Tomb Raider here?

Still very much true, sadly.

Yeah I know right, this reboot story is the opposite of that. Good thing I clarified what I meant earlier with the original Tomb Raider not having having those elements, but not doing what this one is doing.

Square Enix will be ending the game’s embargo on Monday – over a week before the game launches.

Probably a good idea. The game looks like everything game critics look for in games, and the high scores will go a long way in quelling the people who want a Tomb Raider game.

AppleMIX

Yeah I know right, this reboot story is the opposite of that. Good thing I clarified what I meant earlier with the original Tomb Raider not having having those elements, but not doing what this one is doing.

You're arguing that in a series where you visit Area 51 and fight Dinosaurs has subtly and nuanced.

2j3BptG.gif

sublimit

Banned
You're arguing that in a series where you visit Area 51 and fight Dinosaurs has subtly and nuanced.

I think by "subtly" he meant that the story never got in the way of gameplay in the old games.Unlike what seems to be the case in this reboot.

MormaPope

Banned

2j3BptG.gif

I didn't say the past ones did, I was talking about story telling in general.

From the previous page, my last post was a snarky retort because you didn't read my previous posts.

G-Fex

Hell if it's good I'll be the first one to admit it.

Whoa this game actually snuck up on me, wasn't expecting it to be out in just a week really. I've never been a Tomb Raider fan so I guess this reboot is targeted towards me. The complaints that it looks like Uncharted are valid and a good thing in my book, I enjoyed the Uncharted games a lot and would love to see another team take a spin on that style of game.

Midou

Hated old Hitman games but like the new one, if new Tomb Raider is good, don't mind it not being like older ones. I know fans would mind, but it is what it is.

Never care about reviews, but at least I can assume it's not an awful broken mess or something. If other reviews follow suit, I'll probably get it for $10-15 down the line.

wrowa

This is a perfect example of why game reviewers are so incredibly mind-numbing to read. It's basically fan-boy/-girl drivel filled with an extreme use of hyperbolic language through an incredible use of superlatives. There's no analysis, no critical thinking, no thorough evaluation of the game, and so on - it's like reading a teenager's high school essay of that one time where he/she ate a good cake.

Fuck
most
game reviewers and their lack of thinking.

Game journalism isn't very good, I give you that, but the cynical attitudes of many gamers are much more annoying. The reactions in these review threads are always the same:

- Is it a game gamers are looking forward to and have high hopes for?
-> Great scores are going to be celebrated, reviewers who rate low only want to generate clicks.

- Is it a game gamers are skeptical about?
-> Low scores are being celebrated, high scores are dismissed as being paid for.

Really, it's like reviews are only means to confirm your own bias nowadays.

Of course, it aren't always the same people who complain, but it's still something that makes these threads hard to read.

pelican

It will be.

I'm not surprised at high reviews because this game has every crummy modern game element the gaming press loves.

Do you think over the top negativity at every whim adds a sense of mystique and credibility?

Just wondering, since being overtly negative appears to be your modus operandi.

AppleMIX

From the previous page, my last post was a snarky retort because you didn't read my previous posts.

Ok, how exactly does this help your argument again?

Your argument is the new Tomb Raider is not a "actual tomb raider game "

Your support for this argument is

Tomb Raider essentially should be about platforming and the risks involved with it. Also story or narrative should be subtle and nuanced instead of being shotgun blasted into the player's face

So you admit that the old games are not subtle and nuanced so why is it a huge deal now that the reboot doesn't either?

I think by "subtly" he meant that the story never got in the way of gameplay in the old games.Unlike what seems to be the case in this reboot.

So their is more cut scenes, that it? How dare they try to weave a cohesive narrative. If you don't like the cut scenes, then skip them and enjoy the game. You can play most modern games without watching the cut scenes anyways.

Getting angry because a bland mediocre series gets rebooted to something that might be better is just silly.

Harlequin

Is there any reason why people want this to be a wreck?

The marketing for this hasn't been too good. It seems like they were trying to target the action-loving Uncharted crowd and mostly showed combat, action-sequences and cutscenes and the ones who are bashing it now are mainly people who liked either the TR classics or Crystal's previous TRs (or both if that's possible) and think this is too much of a change. They're mostly just focusing on the bad stuff, though. We know it's not all shooting and scripted action but they usually choose to ignore that when you try to tell them.

Tagg9

Thank god the embargo is up a week before release.

At least this way I'll have a chance to cancel my pre-order if the reviews are overwhelmingly negative (which I don't think they will be).

I'd hate to see another debacle like Aliens, where there was a clear reason for a release day embargo.

MormaPope

Banned

So you admit that the old games are not subtle and nuanced so why is it a huge deal now that the reboot doesn't either?

Because the marketing and developer are taking pride in a haphazard, not nuanced, not cohesive story. My point is if you're going to have a story driven game, it better not be sloppy drivel.

G-Fex

So their is more cut scenes, that it? How dare they try to weave a cohesive narrative. If you don't like the cut scenes, then skip them and enjoy the game. You can play most modern games without watching the cut scenes anyways.

Getting angry because a bland mediocre series gets rebooted to something that might be better is just silly.

I think it's the majority of cinematic shit that'll worsen the flow of gameplay. I can already see there will be a lot of that , probably a ton of it before we get to actually 'Take control' and explore the island and do things.

Going by the preview videos Lara can't go one step without falling over a cliff or falling 300 ft and then into a river and then into a plane and then into a cliff side and then parachuting.

Out of curiosity, what do you expect the core gameplay in this reboot to be? Cut-scenes and cohesive narrative aside, what do you expect to spend the majority of the time doing in this game? And how is that 'better'?

I am sure the gaming press will love it. Tons of scripted events, easy effortless platforming, "cool" executions, tons of collectibles etc. Like AC etc its a game that checks all the boxes that most reviewers love.

I would eat my hat (if I had one) if it ends up lower than 85 on Metacritic.

Whether its a good game or not, will wait to see impressions from other forumites.

pargonta

honestly there's not a lot of information to go on here from the choice quotes presented... just superlatives and a bunch of numbers. kinda worthless.

can't wait to read the reviews on monday for details

AppleMIX

Because the marketing and developer are taking pride in a haphazard, not nuanced, not cohesive story. My point is if you're going to have a story driven game, it better not be sloppy drivel.

Have you played the game in its entirety? How can you sit here judge the story of the game without reading the full plot synopsis?

Marketing is a tool to sell games, not to provide a accurate depiction of what the game actually is. Look at Dead Island, that game was marketed as emotion driven zombie game and what we got was well... Dead Island.

Out of curiosity, what do you expect the core gameplay in this reboot to be? Cut-scenes and cohesive narrative aside, what do you expect to spend the majority of the time doing in this game? And how is that 'better'?

A combination of climbing in a pseudo sandbox and combat. I won't sit here and judge Tomb Raider and how it compares to the other games in the series. I would rather judge it as a game and leave behind and preconceived notions of what the game is supposed to be like.

MormaPope

Banned
Have you played the game in its entirety? How can you sit here judge the story of the game without reading the full plot synopsis?

Marketing is a tool to sell games, not to provide a accurate depiction of what the game actually is. Look at Dead Island, that game was marketed as emotion driven zombie game and what we got was well... Dead Island.

An injured and average teenage girl who we're supposed to view as inexperienced is going to murder hundreds of dudes. There wouldn't be as much dissonance if she raided more tombs instead of murdering people.

Best way to save the story is if Lara gets the death penalty, you find out she's just insane and has been killing Hawaiian tourists the entire time.

AAK

Meh, the hate this game gets is the same that RE4 got for changing its formula. It worked for RE4 and I'll give CD the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing.

Amir0x

Banned
I think I made a bet somewhere some months ago that this game will have a metacritic of 85 or higher; that's because one can predict where a "AAA" game will land on the metacritic up to 2-3 years in advance with a huge percentage of accuracy. Reviews are not critical assessments of games anymore. They're generally paid advertisements.

Top Bottom