• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First User created map for UT3 on PS3 is available - More tomorrow

tanod

when is my burrito
UPDATE:
Chemo said:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165140

Download here:
http://files.filefront.com/DM+Shrine+PS3+Map/;9292864;/fileinfo.html

And here's Epic's Mark Rein with all the details from his forum post on their official site:

Epic Games is proud to take the first bold step in a new era! Today we're releasing the very first user-created content for Unreal Tournament 3 on PlayStation 3.

We're starting with a user-created map called DM-Shrine created by Thomas Browett, who goes by the name Setheran on the official UT3 forums. Thomas is a 23 year old graphic designer from Nottingham, England. He's been playing Unreal since the very first Unreal Tournament and he says he's enjoyed every game in the series. He made a few maps for the original Unreal Tournament but hadn't done anything since this one. He finds the third generation Unreal Editor to be very friendly and feature rich.

DM-Shrine is is a great little map that's perfect those close-quarters, 2-6 player, matches that keep your adrenaline pumping from beginning to end. A lot of our DM maps in UT3 are designed for larger player counts so this provides a great contrast and a chance to play in a more intimate setting. I've always loved these types of maps and I hope you folks do as well!

Here is how to install UT3 mods on your PlayStation 3.

1. Unzip the file to the root directory of any memory card that is readable by your PlayStation 3. It is already in the proper directory structure but, just in case, the path and filename need to be: ps3\savedata\blus30086-modimport\userdata.jam
2. Boot up Unreal Tournament 3 on your PS3
3. Go to the "Community" menu
4. Choose "My Content"
5. Press the [SQUARE] button to "Import Mod"
6. Follow the directions on the screen to import it from your memory card.

Once imported you'll be able to see the map in your list of Deathmatch maps. You'll be able to host the map and join servers that are hosting the map. All UT3 mods install this same way. If this were a mutator it would show up in the mutator list. If it were a gametype it would show up in gametype lists, etc.

This is just the first little taste of modding on Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3.

Epic didn't make this map. Thomas did and he already released it for PC users of UT3. We didn't do any editing or changes to it. All we did was bring it into the editor and "cook" it into the proper format for the PlayStation 3 and tested it to make sure it ran properly and was good fun. We're waiting on some paperwork from Sony that will allow us to release an editor update so mod creators can do this cook process for themselves. We expect to have that very soon.

Tomorrow we're planning to release some more user-created content: a mutator, a couple more maps, and a new game type!

We have some really cool things of our own in the works (for both PC and PS3 versions of UT3) here at Epic but those are still in development so they're a little further down the road.

I thought I'd share since people probably would like to know. Obviously don't have to post something every time there is a new mod but it is a pretty big first for consoles. :D

Synless

I can't wait until they get that thing out to us, so that some people can make some bad ass maps and mods!!!

Doel

I'm in a room right now with it but we are waiting on 1 more player to join before the match starts.

I really can't see myself buying this game though (its a rental right now) unless there are some kick ass mods coming, and with the lackluster support for UT3 on PC I'm not sure if or when that is ever going to happen.

All I know is that if someone created a kick ass SOCOM 1/2 mod, this game's sales would noticeably go up on the charts.

gcubed

Doel said:
I'm in a room right now with it but we are waiting on 1 more player to join before the match starts.

I really can't see myself buying this game though (its a rental right now) unless there are some kick ass mods coming, and with the lackluster support for UT3 on PC I'm not sure if or when that is ever going to happen.

All I know is that if someone created a kick ass SOCOM 1/2 mod, this game's sales would noticeably go up on the charts.

thats the problem, with poor pc sales, the mods wont be there for the consoles

Doel said:

The reason I haven't bought the game is because of lack of split screen...talk about a let down

polyh3dron said:
This is awesome. Microsoft would never allow something this free and this cool.

Yeah, there's never been a game on LIVE that let you play with user-created maps. Ever. Not on original Xbox or 360.

polyh3dron said:
This is awesome. Microsoft would never allow something this free and this cool.

some games like Far Cry on Xbox had custom maps you could make using really shitty tools, but they were never at this level.

CBal2424

Banned
Im pretty sure far cry has user created maps on both xbox and xbox360, not like how this is but it was still user created

"some games like Far Cry on Xbox had custom maps you could make using really shitty tools, but they were never at this level."

"Im pretty sure far cry has user created maps on both xbox and xbox360, not like how this is but it was still user created"

What's the point of mentioning it then? Excitebike allowed you to make super limited custom tracks, whoopie?

Wait, do you really have to go through this horseshit every time a new mod or map comes out? You should be able to download them through the game.

Teknopathetic said:
"some games like Far Cry on Xbox had custom maps you could make using really shitty tools, but they were never at this level."

"Im pretty sure far cry has user created maps on both xbox and xbox360, not like how this is but it was still user created"

What's the point of mentioning it then? Excitebike allowed you to make super limited custom tracks, whoopie?
They were transferable like UT3 and unlike Excite bike?

The game Pariah on Xbox had a decent map maker as well, but ya it would only download when you joined the hosts game, and then it still took forever and was only maps, no mods or mutators or differnent gameplay types. UT III on PS3 is the first time there has been such an open and modifiable system on a console FPS AFAIK.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Wait, do you really have to go through this horseshit every time a new mod or map comes out? You should be able to download them through the game.
That would be too convienent.

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Can you do that on the PC version?

karasu

beermonkey@tehbias said:

?? You act like it's complicated. Be glad you can do it at all.

Barnolde

Banned
From the other UT3 thread:
Mark Rein said:
"This map is 17mb. If we enabled auto-download for maps and if users were downloading a 17Mb (there will be MUCH bigger mods than that!) mod from your PS3 it would kill your internet bandwidth to the point that it would SUCK as a game server and it wouldn't be a very good experience. We'll work with Sony and figure out some ways to make the process more seamless in the future but for now this is how you get a mod on to the PS3.

Having said that: there is an exception.... mutators are pretty small so we allow them to be auto-downloaded. So if you go to a server running that mutator it will download automatically and you will be able to play on that server. It won't show up in your "My Content" mutator list but it will be stored in the game's cache for the next time you play a server with that mutator. To get it in your "My Content" list, so you can use it in Instant Action or host game with it turned on, you'll have to go through the install process."

_leech_ said:

No. That would require all maps going through epic, which partially defeats the point. Once the maps can be cooked for PS3 by the mapper then epic can be completely bypassed in the process, which is how it should be.

And some pics from the PC version.
82u89rq.jpg

73kescn.jpg

81ztmvs.jpg

6qcwaqq.jpg

_leech_ said:
PC game makers assumes a certain technical knowlege of their users. If Epic wants this thing to take off on consoles, attain mass appeal and force Microsoft to change their retarded stance, the inconvienence and complexity involved in obtaining the mods means they are going to fail miserably. If they don't want those things, it's a nice little checkmark for their game that a limited number of people will take advantage of.

WhatRuOn said:
You could in UT2k4. So I would assume that you can.
Huh? Every mod I ever installed in 2k4 was done through an external instal program, not in UT. I'm pretty sure there was no way to automatically install things (unless you're talking about downloads from servers...but if it's true that PS3 servers are hosted on PS3's and can't be hosted on PC's, then it's not really feasible to allow that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
beermonkey@tehbias said:

It's pretty impressive considering it starts life on a totally different platform. Well worth the effort for the flexibility it entails.

kbear

Can the host have the map and then when others join, they download the map off him like in Warcraft 3 or does every individual person need the map?

Cheeto

WHOAguitarninja said:
Huh? Every mod I ever installed in 2k4 was done through an external instal program, not in UT. I'm pretty sure there was no way to automatically install things (unless you're talking about downloads from servers...but if it's true that PS3 servers are hosted on PS3's and can't be hosted on PC's, then it's not really feasible to allow that.
I've jumped into Carball and stuff like that, and it would download automatically for me. I didn't have to install anything external. Full Conversion mods are a different story.

kbear said:
Can the host have the map and then when others join, they download the map off him like in Warcraft 3 or does every individual person need the map?
This happens in the PC version if the server has it enabled because most dedicated servers are run from places that do that as a business and thus have bandwidth to spare. They disabled it in the PS3 version because most (all?) servers will be run off of ps3's, and they can't assume that whoever is hosting will have the bandwidth to allow for it.

WHOAguitarninja said:
This happens in the PC version if the server has it enabled because most dedicated servers are run from places that do that as a business and thus have bandwidth to spare. They disabled it in the PS3 version because most (all?) servers will be run off of ps3's, and they can't assume that whoever is hosting will have the bandwidth to allow for it.
it should be configurable, but off by default.

some people have the bandwidth to do it.

_leech_ said:

I did in UT2K4. I just assumed it would be the same. I always played off a coworker's server, didn't realize that it wasn't standard.

Miniboss1232 said:
So, you have to download them to a memory card first? What about the 20 GB and 40 GB models without the memory card slots?

Maybe they can work out an option where you can do it straight through the PS3 browser to the HDD.

Still, card readers are dirt cheap.

theBishop

Banned
i just got done playing the map (with bots...). Good stuff, graphics are right up there with the best official maps. I was expecting it to be trash, but its a lot of fun. It reminds me of one of the maps from the old Quake3 demo.

only problem i've found: one of the jump pads doesn't always shoot you high enough to reach the upper platform.

Gattsu25

Banned
theBishop said:
i just got done playing the map (with bots...). Good stuff, graphics are right up there with the best official maps. I was expecting it to be trash, but its a lot of fun. It reminds me of one of the maps from the old Quake3 demo.

only problem i've found: one of the jump pads doesn't always shoot you high enough to reach the upper platform.
good game D:
(did the server close or did my connection crap out?)

had to try it before I went to bed..I like it.

Teknopathetic said:

and this is why I like tre....

Instead of hitting qoute...he says screw that and copies and pastes the text and puts Real qoutes on them.

thats old school baby! he keeps it old school

TheRipDizz said:
PC game makers assumes a certain technical knowlege of their users. If Epic wants this thing to take off on consoles, attain mass appeal and force Microsoft to change their retarded stance, the inconvienence and complexity involved in obtaining the mods means they are going to fail miserably. If they don't want those things, it's a nice little checkmark for their game that a limited number of people will take advantage of.

i couldn't agree enough. If its in the console realm, it has to translate convienently. One of the main differences between consoles and PC is convienence for gamers. they should take a note from bungie on how to handle user-created stuff...but then...that would be much more work for them, and I dont know if the sales of UT3 will warrant them to do so.

when I read those instructions, while easy for someone like me and probably most on gaf....the typical casual gamer playing UT3 is not gonna be able to figure that stuff out or care to seek that information out. And it's just way too much work for a casual gamer...hell its way too much work for ME. If it's a PC game, yea I go through the little bullshit to get mods for my PC games...cause im doing it all on my PC...but to have to go to pc to console..etc....its kinda annoying for someone who expects convienence from his console. Also the fact that you can't download the maps if you join someones server like on PC is gonna shut out a good amount of people to the user created content. they aren't gonna have the patience of learning the technicalities of getting said content, then when they try to join a server, they wont be able to get the content and will get shut out. Some may say "well, screw them anyway" but in essence it hurts you too cause its less competition and less people for you to interact with when it comes to that content.

SilvaHalo

Banned
Barnolde said:
It was only online, where everyone would download the host's map and it wasn't really transferable like UT3 is.

it doesnt matter if it was only online or not....simple fact is that it was user generated content, easily transferable...b-b-b-but MS wont allow it!!

CaptainABAB

It's a little disappointing that it has to go through an "approval" process. That will only make Epic/Sony the bottleneck.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I've been pissing around with my own DoD maps for years, but it's cool to see this sort of stuff finally hit consoles. Let's hope Epic isn't the only one to spread the PC gaming mentality to consoles.

Grayman

Rezbit said:
So at this stage, you can't go online and choose any old homemade map and put it on your PS3?
No not yet.

Epic called sony and is asking to release the tools needed to compile the maps for the ps3 version. If that goes through then map makers would start releasing PS3 versions on their own.

lexi

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:

Having the same box running the server and distributing files is usually bad for the server. What usually happens and what ideally should happen is that the server has a URL redirect for maps, mods, etc.

UT2004 had this done to a fine art, UT3, not so much right now. I say it everytime I mention UT3 but fuck I wish they waited to release it. No Webadmin? Seriously?

supermackem said:
Just played this, its a great little map. It took two seconds to install stop moaning christ its free too.

not moaning, just stating the facts. if you can't accept that, then it's you who are moaning.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
supermackem said:
Just played this, its a great little map. It took two seconds to install stop moaning christ its free too.
Yeah, I downloaded it, unzipped it to a USB drive, brought it downstairs to my PS3, went into UT3 "My Content", plugged it in, and imported it in less than 5 minutes. I was running a bot match in no time. I'm still in shock of how easy it was.

lexi

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
not moaning, just stating the facts. if you can't accept that, then it's you who are moaning.

It's actually pretty fucking simple. No more difficult then transferring songs to an iPod.

Are console gamers Luddites?

lockii said:
It's actually pretty fucking simple. No more difficult then transferring songs to an iPod.

Are console gamers Luddites?

-hey, i want a this new map that wont let me join some games on ut3.
-how do i get it
-oh i gotta goto my pc in my room. how do i put it on my ps3? oh i gotta get a memory stick/usb stick.
-ok bought a cheap one for like 40 bucks.
-so now i gotta unzip it to my usb stick. how do I unzip. let me google that. ok, thats actually easier than I thought.
-ok, now to get this map onto my unreal tournament 3!
-ok, now i gotta go eject this usb stick and goto my living room to install this one map onto my ps3.
-ok in the living room and putting in the usb stick and now i gotta follow these instructions to get it on there.

sorry, its not the same as just connecting ur ipod and transferring files over.
of course its "fucking simple" for you and me.
but its a bit tedious in the console realm these days no matter how you slice it.

when dealing in a casual realm, its gotta be streamlined and intuitive.

but as I said before...it would be alot more work for epic, and I am unsure if the sales will warrant that.

Top Bottom