• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First User created map for UT3 on PS3 is available - More tomorrow

DieH@rd said:
Yes.

Does anyone know can US version od game connect to any worldwide server? Or just ones in US?

No one knows yet as theres only one version of the game out. Im using my usa copy of the game on my pal machine.

This is great to see, especially since ive been playing so much. Now that we have user created level, GIANT BATHROOM NOW please

Pachimari

Xater said:
Every PS3 game is region free.
I know that though, what I were more interested in was, if I could use my european online account to play an american game. And if created content become available, if can downloade the european code for the american version and if the servers are worldwide.

Anastacio said:
I know that though, what I were more interested in was, if I could use my european online account to play an american game. And if created content become available, if can downloade the european code for the american version and if the servers are worldwide.

Im using my pal psn account to play online, as for ww servers noone knows as only the us version is out, and there is no paid for dlc so noone knows that either.

theBishop

Banned
Firewire said:
Spent the last hour searching for that ever elusive USB memory stick!

Still can't find it.

sony-psp.jpg

Firewire

Banned
theBishop said:

I have a memory stick I can't find, an ipod & psp that are with my girlfriend in Europe, for the next 3 weeks. I'm actually going to have to buy another stick if I want this damn map.

theBishop

Banned
Firewire said:
I have a memory stick I can't find, an ipod & psp that are with my girlfriend in Europe, for the next 3 weeks. I'm actually going to have to buy another stick if I want this damn map.

i wonder if you can burn it to a cd. if UT3 doesn't throw up an error when you eject it, you might be able to load up the Content import menu without the game disc in the drive.

Firewire

Banned
theBishop said:
i wonder if you can burn it to a cd. if UT3 doesn't throw up an error when you eject it, you might be able to load up the Content import menu without the game disc in the drive.

I'm just going to buy another stick, I'll need it but I just know once I buy one the lost one will pop up somewhere, just to piss me off!

M3Freak

Banned
BobTheFork said:
This is great to see, especially since ive been playing so much. Now that we have user created level, GIANT BATHROOM NOW please

I have to play with you, Bob. Sutdawg and I both want to play more, but the mic problem is really screwing shit up. I want to whine about my crappy skills to all of you!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
M3Freak said:
I have to play with you, Bob. Sutdawg and I both want to play more, but the mic problem is really screwing shit up. I want to whine about my crappy skills to all of you!
If you guys get together, send me an invite. I am really enjoying Warfare mode and am looking for a team of consistently good players.

Tr4nce

Just to be sure...

I guess the name of the directory on the storage device is going to change for PAL region gamers?

ps3\savedata\blus30086-modimport\userdata.jam -> The gamecode is BLUS30086, it will be different in PAL land, right?

Slavik81

Fixed2BeBroken said:
dont see how it could be easier? look at bungie.
On the PC-side, it is better.
The problem is that consoles are very limited and closed environments that make using the same solution from the PC-side difficult to impliment on consoles. It's impressive that they got this much done on PS3 because on 360 they can't do this at all.

Bungie doesn't have user-created maps. They have user-modified maps. The difference in file-size is enormous and its the downloading of that file that is why they can't impliment it in the same way.

besada

Banned
I will definitely be around this weekend playing, since we canceled Christmas. I'm looking forward to fighting with some Gaffers.

So is id not going to sue over the use of their intellectual property as an indirect selling point of a competitors product?

There was this whole bitch fest about how Little Big Planet could mimic Mario levels extremely easy and that was infringing on the rights of the holder.

If not then that's pretty cool, I think it's rad that the first map is by a student, I wouldn't mind designing one myself but I wouldn't know where to begin with weapon placement.

"I know what Deck16 is. Piece of shit. Even Morpheus is better not to mention Facing Worlds :p"

Neither of those maps are remade in UT3 (yet, well an iffy looking morpheus), only lending more credence to my original statement.

"So is id not going to sue over the use of their intellectual property as an indirect selling point of a competitors product?"

It's not using any Quake 3 assets or intellectual property at all. It's just using the level design.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anyone know if the UT3 tools can import previous mods/maps and convert them to the UT3 format? Now *that* would be cool.

"Does anyone know if the UT3 tools can import previous mods/maps and convert them to the UT3 format? Now *that* would be cool."

You can import previous maps, but it'd take some TLC to make them look decent AND alter them to fit with the gameplay changes from UT2K4 -> UT3. Taking a map from UT2K4 and just simply converting it to UT3 would leave you with a map that's broken to play (from a gameplay standpoint).

theBishop

Banned
Visualante said:
So is id not going to sue over the use of their intellectual property as an indirect selling point of a competitors product?

There was this whole bitch fest about how Little Big Planet could mimic Mario levels extremely easy and that was infringing on the rights of the holder.

If not then that's pretty cool, I think it's rad that the first map is by a student, I wouldn't mind designing one myself but I wouldn't know where to begin with weapon placement.

first of all, the term you're looking for is "copyright", not "intellectual property".

second, Who are they going to sue? Epic? Epic isn't the ones making and distributing the maps. ID were the first to get serious about supporting mods in the first place with Doom. They'd be pretty hypocritical to go after Epic.

Jtrizzy said:
will the bitching never end? Jesus. the guy from bungie thinks it's cool, yet the whining continues.
I know the bitching about a cool feature is just retarded.
Fixed2BeBroken said:
-hey, i want a this new map that wont let me join some games on ut3.
-how do i get it
-oh i gotta goto my pc in my room. how do i put it on my ps3? oh i gotta get a memory stick/usb stick.
-ok bought a cheap one for like 40 bucks.
-so now i gotta unzip it to my usb stick. how do I unzip. let me google that. ok, thats actually easier than I thought.
-ok, now to get this map onto my unreal tournament 3!
-ok, now i gotta go eject this usb stick and goto my living room to install this one map onto my ps3.
-ok in the living room and putting in the usb stick and now i gotta follow these instructions to get it on there.

sorry, its not the same as just connecting ur ipod and transferring files over.
of course its "fucking simple" for you and me.
but its a bit tedious in the console realm these days no matter how you slice it.

when dealing in a casual realm, its gotta be streamlined and intuitive.

but as I said before...it would be alot more work for epic, and I am unsure if the sales will warrant that.
Wow the trolling just doesn't stop with you huh? I think I remember you in one of the "Uncharted bomb" threads. I think you were saying that that bad salse of the ps3 and games were like revenge to you from the Gamecube/Ps2/xbox days :/

Good show troll
DenogginizerOS said:
I predict this game will be a slow burner that will gain momentum with every new map that comes out. The fact I downloaded a free map onto my PSP that I then easily passed on to my PS3 and there is more content to come is just awesome. AWESOME.
Sound easy!!! :D

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Teknopathetic said:
"Does anyone know if the UT3 tools can import previous mods/maps and convert them to the UT3 format? Now *that* would be cool."

You can import previous maps, but it'd take some TLC to make them look decent AND alter them to fit with the gameplay changes from UT2K4 -> UT3. Taking a map from UT2K4 and just simply converting it to UT3 would leave you with a map that's broken to play (from a gameplay standpoint).

Ah, thanks for the info.

I wonder if it would even be worth the hassle, or would it provide the modder with a strong starting point for a new version. Hopefully that'll be the case so we can get more mods&maps sooner.

Gattsu25 said:
Stop assuming that console gamers have the technical knowledge of an Apple user.

Stop assuming that casual gamers have the technical knowledge above an Apple user.

i can do the samething. ;)

InterMoniker said:
I know the bitching about a cool feature is just retarded.
Wow the trolling just doesn't stop with you huh? I think I remember you in one of the "Uncharted bomb" threads. I think you were saying that that bad salse of the ps3 and games were like revenge to you from the Gamecube/Ps2/xbox days :/

Good show troll

Sound easy!!! :D

:lol :lol :lol

WOW....so I am a troll now because I am stating what a few others have stated as well which is something that can be seen by anyone who looks at this objectionally and REALISTICALLY.....

Check my post history....show me all my trolling...because I am a troll right? prove it.

you can't. now shut up

theBishop said:
first of all, the term you're looking for is "copyright", not "intellectual property".

second, Who are they going to sue? Epic? Epic isn't the ones making and distributing the maps. ID were the first to get serious about supporting mods in the first place with Doom. They'd be pretty hypocritical to go after Epic.
Yeah but they're promoting it as a selling point of the game. I completely agree it would be hypocritical in the case of id, but lets say hypothetically that someone models High Ground almost exactly and uses Bungie's weapon placement and spawn points as closely as they can to the real thing.

Is that not crossing the line of fair use?

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Stop assuming that casual gamers have the technical knowledge above an Apple user.

i can do the samething. ;)

:lol :lol :lol

WOW....so I am a troll now because I am stating what a few others have stated as well which is something that can be seen by anyone who looks at this objectionally and REALISTICALLY.....

Check my post history....show me all my trolling...because I am a troll right? prove it.

you can't. now shut up
I don't see why you keep going on about how hard it could be for some people to download a mod when you said you know how to do it yourself.

To me thats trolling.

InterMoniker said:
I don't see why you keep going on about how hard it could be for some people to download a mod when you said you know how to do it yourself.

To me thats trolling.

[sigh]

I wish public schools would be more strict on thier comprehension/reading exams.

tanod

when is my burrito
Teknopathetic said:
"So is id not going to sue over the use of their intellectual property as an indirect selling point of a competitors product?"

It's not using any Quake 3 assets or intellectual property at all. It's just using the level design.

They're also not charging any money for it. That makes a difference too.

theBishop

Banned
Visualante said:
Yeah but they're promoting it as a selling point of the game. I completely agree it would be hypocritical in the case of id, but lets say hypothetically that someone models High Ground almost exactly and uses Bungie's weapon placement and spawn points as closely as they can to the real thing.

Is that not crossing the line of fair use?

No.

All the assets are created from scratch. Its the equivalent of covering a song. No one is making a profit, and no copyrighted material is being distributed. If someone was able to extract the 3d models directly from the Halo game data and use it in a mod, that would be a copyright violation.

DenogginizerOS

Take it to PM's guys. I saw plenty of rooms with "Shrine" in it last night to feel pretty good about the technical capabilities of UT3 (PS3) owners. Mark Rein said they are going to talk to Sony about streamlining the process. But for now, can we just enjoy the fact that UT3 has free content using a free online service that also has the added bonus of using keyboard/mouse if you choose? Sheesh!!

theBishop

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Take it to PM's guys. I saw plenty of rooms with "Shrine" in it last night to feel pretty good about the technical capabilities of UT3 (PS3) owners. Mark Rein said they are going to talk to Sony about streamlining the process. But for now, can we just enjoy the fact that UT3 has free content using a free online service that also has the added bonus of using keyboard/mouse if you choose? Sheesh!!

I tried out the left-analog+mouse combo last night for the first time. it takes some getting used to, but its far more convenient for the livingroom than a full-on KB/M setup. And I found the Enforcers are suddenly useful when you can aim more precisely.

DenogginizerOS

theBishop said:
I tried out the left-analog+mouse combo last night for the first time. it takes some getting used to, but its far more convenient for the livingroom than a full-on KB/M setup. And I found the Enforcers are suddenly useful when you can aim more precisely.
Oh wow. I had no idea you could do that. That sounds like an experiment for later. :D

DenogginizerOS said:

yea, but im basing what im saying on when more people get ahold of UT3 and there are alot more user created content available instead of one map....

then we will probably see how annoying it is, however you mentioning Rein talking to Sony about trying to streamline it is a good thing, and im sure Sony will be open to it being that they are tryna do everything "good" that they can these days. This bit of news makes me happy, cause it shows me that Rein sees what I and others see.

Wollan

Late to this thread but are people seriously complaining about the difficulty of transfering this user (pc) created material to the PS3?
How much fucking easier can it be than this!? You put it on a USB dongle or a HDD and connect it to your PS3. Blatant trolling.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Wollan said:
Late to this thread but are people seriously complaining about the difficulty of transfering this user (pc) created material to the PS3?
How much fucking easier can it be than this!? You put it on a USB dongle or a HDD and connect it to your PS3. Blatant trolling.

Well its easy but not that easy.

First you got to extract the zip file. Go into the extracted folder, copy or cut the PS3 folder put it in the usb dongle, psp or hdd. After that you got to go in UT3 in the community menu, choose my content and after you import the mod or map.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Fixed2BeBroken said:
...cause it shows me that Rein sees what I and others see.
I don't think Rein sees things quite the way you're presenting them. I think he sees that he can make the process more streamlined and convenient for the owners of the game but that's not aimed at making things more friendly for "the casuals". If he were aiming to do that he'd have to start at a more fundamental level with the gameplay itself, but as far as I see, UT3 gameplay hasn't made any notable concessions to casual friendliness over past iterations.

Just because they've made the game available on the PS3 doesn't mean they're trying to specifically target casual gamers - there's plenty of enthusiast gamers who are console-centric. They want to get the game on the 360 as well. Hardcore gaming doesn't just revolve around the PC and that's the thing that Rein sees, first and foremost.

kaching said:
I don't think Rein sees things quite the way you're presenting them. I think he sees that he can make the process more streamlined and convenient for the owners of the game but that's not aimed at making things more friendly for "the casuals". If he were aiming to do that he'd have to start at a more fundamental level with the gameplay itself, but as far as I see, UT3 gameplay hasn't made any notable concessions to casual friendliness over past iterations.

Just because they've made the game available on the PS3 doesn't mean they're trying to specifically target casual gamers - there's plenty of enthusiast gamers who are console-centric. They want to get the game on the 360 as well. Hardcore gaming doesn't just revolve around the PC and that's the thing that Rein sees, first and foremost.

I agree, but at the same time...im sure he wants to attract more people to his game...hence...casuals who havent played his game yet because most hardcore gamers have already tried UT at least once.
or are you denying this too?

and then theirs the many different levels of casual...

UT3 in many ways is casual friendly....there is a deeper game there for the hardcore.
but noobs can get in and get a frag or two easy and feel like they did something and walk away happy.

Wollan

OverHeat said:
Well its easy but not that easy.

First you got to extract the zip file. Go into the extracted folder, copy or cut the PS3 folder put it in the usb dongle, psp or hdd. After that you got to go in UT3 in the community menu, choose my content and after you import the mod or map.
Which is pretty much the same exact motions you will have to do on pc.

Wollan said:

Difficulty <> tedious

This is something you'll be doing a LOT of if you are a fan of the game. There's definitely opportunity for streamlining this process.

That said, it's a lot better than not having the mods at all.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Wollan said:
Which is pretty much the same exact motions you will have to do on pc.
On PC perfect since the user is using one. But I can see a lot of player being clueless on how to do it on ps3

Wollan

This isn't re-arranging furniture or a dev-house approving whatever content comes in.

This is pc mods made by whomever. People who understand that basic principle to begin with will have no problem transfering the content to the PS3 via a medium.
People who have ever seen Windows won't have a problem transfering this content.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
-hey, i want a this new map that wont let me join some games on ut3.
-how do i get it
-oh i gotta goto my pc in my room. how do i put it on my ps3? oh i gotta get a memory stick/usb stick.
-ok bought a cheap one for like 40 bucks.
-so now i gotta unzip it to my usb stick. how do I unzip. let me google that. ok, thats actually easier than I thought.
-ok, now to get this map onto my unreal tournament 3!
-ok, now i gotta go eject this usb stick and goto my living room to install this one map onto my ps3.
-ok in the living room and putting in the usb stick and now i gotta follow these instructions to get it on there.

If you explain things like that you can make anything sound hard.

"Well, to brush my teeth i'll have to get out of bed, walk to the washroom, turn the faucet to the right or middle (but not the left!), grab the right tooth paste, put the tooth paste on the tooth brush (assuming I know where my tooth brush is), open my mouth, and then start brushing."

OverHeat

« generous god »
Wollan said:
This isn't re-arranging furniture or a dev-house approving whatever content comes in.

This is pc mods. People who understand that basic principle to begin with will have no problem transfering the content to the PS3 via a medium.

...sure. What if one of my "casual" friend see me online and joinable. What is gonna happen when he try to join my room? He wont be able to until he download the content.
I can understand your point about Mods but what about user created map?

tanod

when is my burrito
_leech_ said:
If you explain things like that you can make anything sound hard.

"Well, to brush my teeth i'll have to get out of bed, walk to the washroom, turn the faucet to the right or middle (but not the left!), grab the right tooth paste, put the tooth paste on the tooth brush (assuming I know where my tooth brush is), open my mouth, and then start brushing."

Maybe brushing his teeth IS hard for him? :\

Top Bottom